Suvarnabhumi launches investigation after fertilizer bag ignites on conveyor belt [video]

webfact

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ha Ha Ha 1 "the fire was put out immediately by staff working at the conveyor belt"..................AFTER the staff had run away, one man returned with an extinguisher. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifrolleyes.gif

What an absolutely lunatic post, you have really outdone yourself for stupidity this time.

What would you have done, stayed and warmed your hands by the fire ?

The staff ran to get an extinguisher.

Do you think they would have one in their pocket ?

They did a great job putting the fire out quickly, why can you not understand that ?

I don't think he meant it, it was his sense of humour-I took it his way and thought it was funny---maybe the Brit humour or have watched too many Carry-On films.

Ha Ha Ha 1 "the fire was put out immediately by staff working at the conveyor belt"..................AFTER the staff had run away, one man returned with an extinguisher. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifrolleyes.gif

We don't know what training the baggage handlers were given regarding procedures in case of fire. Would it make sense if, for example, they were trained in the use of fire extinguishers, were instructed to move away from the source of the fire and that those nearest to the locations of fire extinguishers should grab these extinguishers and use them to put the fire out? Perhaps somebody knowledgeable about safety procedures in this type of situation can shed light on it.

...AFTER the staff had run away, one man returned with an extinguisher. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifrolleyes.gif

In the video, I see two men returning to the scene of the fire with fire extinguishers, one three seconds after the other. If you run the video once more, how many do you see?

• Like 1

You could place anything in a bag in that area and no-one would be any the wiser. But it would get picked up later.

You're making the assumption that Somchai in the screening area wouldn't be playing Angry Birds on his phone when no-one is watching....

They need to throw the book at this moron as a deterrent to other would-be morons.

• Like 1

Hmm, transport minister makes understatement of the year and shows his lack of physics and chemistry knowledge. He should read up on the Valujet crash. But lots of posters here who didn't even bother to look at the picture, it's clear that the baggage content was on the weighing scale or just after that, so before any security scan. Airport can't be blamed now but they must do a check of all scanning equipment right now, to see if it could have detected the substance.

People could have died and the officials give us baby talk. That passenger should get a horrific fine and two years on probation as well as being banned from flying for five years. Idiot.

• Like 1

...I wonder who else was on that flight......

...don't you wonder if there is more to the story....

I wonder at what exhibition in Cambodia Mr. Pongkarn was going to display this fertiliser. I don't see any exhibition listed for January 2014.

Is it normal to carry this shit on Planes ?

PG--Bangkok Airways.

You wouldn't have thought so, as it is a Boutique Airline, good but over priced tickets. it is spoken about it being an elite airline. Cannot carry a bottle of 120 perfume but can have a bag of shit/to convert into BOOMwhistling.gif

It is not the airline staff but airport security that checks the volume of hand-carried containers of liquids and creams.

Just a comparison not saying who's job is who's job, Look at it this way --it is what is going on the plane.

Good god I have done as many flights as I've had cups of coffee, from 1959 to this day, and you are pointing out to me who doe's what.

We have enough school teachers on forum without another. Thanks for the super useless info.thumbsup.gif

Do you mind my apology, I never even looked/noticed you were admin.

Honestly though you were one of the few teacher types that come on just to make points.

Now looking realized you were only trying to be helpful, please forget my last 2 lines. ginjag.

Hmm, transport minister makes understatement of the year and shows his lack of physics and chemistry knowledge. He should read up on the Valujet crash. But lots of posters here who didn't even bother to look at the picture, it's clear that the baggage content was on the weighing scale or just after that, so before any security scan. Airport can't be blamed now but they must do a check of all scanning equipment right now, to see if it could have detected the substance.

People could have died and the officials give us baby talk. That passenger should get a horrific fine and two years on probation as well as being banned from flying for five years. Idiot.

The scene in the video does not look like the check-in area to me, more like an area somewhere in the bowels of the airport, inaccessible to passengers, where the checked-in bags get sorted for the various flights and probably at some point pass through an x-ray machine.

Edit: added link to video

Edited by Puccini

The scene in the video does not look like the check-in area to me, more like an area somewhere in the bowels of the airport, inaccessible to passengers, where the checked-in bags get sorted for the various flights and probably at some point pass through an x-ray machine.

No, that looks like the check in area.

• Like 1

This fertilizer incident at the Thai airport should catch international airline security teams. if the international airlines didn't know that Bangkok was a very insecure and risky airport, then they should now be forewarned by this news story. The Israelis, the US, the Japanese, the Germans, usually all security conscious international transport managers should be very concerned about Thailand. One would have to wonder how these Thai security breach incidents never receive world press attention. Do you think that this fertilizer inci8dent would have been excused away by the Japanese, Americans, or Israelis at Tokyo, New York, or Tel Aviv?

First the Thais fled and then a few were seen with that pseudo humble cowering walk/run and one of them came back with an extingusiher. No security personnel with yellow or orange jackets, no police, no airport police were visible. What airline was this?

First the Thais fled and then a few were seen with that pseudo humble cowering walk/run and one of them came back with an extingusiher. No security personnel with yellow or orange jackets, no police, no airport police were visible. What airline was this?

I see a bag in an airport go up in flames, I'm headed off to a safe distance before it may and may not explode. Nothing cowardly about that. No piece of airport equipment is worth risking anyone's life.

Once it's burned for a few minutes (and if it doesn't explode), I may come back with an extinguisher.

If the security people are doing their job, they're evacuating people and keeping them away- so they should be nowhere near the line of site of the camera.

Smart firemen don't run into burning buildings. They walk in, slowly and deliberately.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

You don't fly too often I take it?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I was always surprised.

You can take everything to Suvarnabhumi airport with out any control in your bag.

In Phuket when you would like to go in the first thing which recognized by yourself a big x-ray machine.

So what is the rule in Th about this?

"The item burst into flames on the conveyor belt at a check-in row of Bangkok Airways"

http://thainews.prd.go.th/centerweb/newsen/NewsDetail?NT01_NewsID=WNSOC5701290010001

Some of you folks are unbelievable or never fly through Swampy. In almost 6 years of monthly trips to and from Thailand, my bags never went through any sort of X-Ray PRIOR to the check in! Never ever! I haven't tried every airline operating at Swampy, but it never happened with neither Thai, United, ANA, or Singapore (think I got them all) airlines, never ever seen a sniffing dog at the Swampy either. If you ever been to the Swampy airport, you'd recognize it being a check in counter, not somewhere inside the airport, no one can be blamed for that bag placed on the belt by the check in counter, but the passenger himself.

In contrast the rest of airports in Thailand that I've used are different - the first thing you do before entering the airport or coming to a check in counter, is send your luggage through the x-ray machine.

• Like 1