All Bangkok's 50 election directors resign

webfact

Were none of you people in Thailand in August- months before the amnesty bill was proposed- Do you not remember the protesters were already encamped in LUmphini?

The amnesty bill was just the excuse they needed to enlist the top Democrats in their dream to restore Thailand to its pristine pre-1932 beauty.

Do you not remember the form of gov't proposed by Sonthi and Chamlong back in '05?

This is old money rallying to enemies of some people who have conflicts with new money- and rationalizing it in terms of

thaksin- Every society has gone (usually two hundred years ago) through the same conflict-

It is not about hatred of Thaksin (among those who 'matter'- ) it is about hatred of the prospect of redistribution of political power to the provinces.

Were they? Pass Lumpini nearly every day with office in UCL, but didn't notice.

The 'blanket amnesty bill' undemocratically pushed through parliament led to a spontaneous protest by Bangkok people, mostly middleclass. They wondered by the 'blanket' was put in the amnesty bill proposal, why the covering period extended to include the last two years of Thaksin and the first two of Yingluck. They wondered aloud why two readings and votes in slightly more than 24 hours. They wondered about the PM saying 'it's not done, more to follow, go home, wait'. Under pressure we had PM Yingluck trying to wask her hands of things with 'don't blame me, it's up to the senate' and more 'go home and wait'. Next a Senate speaker trying to get a quorum together to get a quick senate vote. Of course no pressure from the government.

Now tell me again your story of how the anti-government protest is just against redistributing political power to the provinces?

Rubl,

Have you read the link (re: K Channil's letter) that I referred you to?

As far a I could stomach the not too subtle suggestions and assumptions.

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As this election is losing not only populous support, but administrative as well, it is perhaps a good idea to look at the reality of this election. If the advance vote was the election itself, parliament would be 78 % filled, as opposed to the 95 % they are mandated to fill. The vacuum that the EC is trying to communicate to Yingluck is not a theory, but a present reality. With 8 provinces and 28 constituencies not participating, this parliament will not have a quorum under any circumstances whatsoever. And no court in the land will grant a perpetual caretaker administration legislative power.

BS, it is a good time to place good people in those resigned positions and began cleaning house on the crud that takes their orders from the elite, I am truly surprised that the EC commissioners have not resigned, that is the move I was expecting, I was hoping they would do as they threatened, it would be great to have some good people with some moral values and backbone to do that job properly.

The problem in this country are the corrupted bureaucrats, that take their orders from those that appointed them to those positions of power, the new governments needs to do some drastic housecleaning.

If they were not part of the solution, they were part of the problem!

Spring cleaning time!.

Start with the rotten rice, I wonder how many tons ??

make it into fertilizer-diesel - and sell it that way. But to answer you how many millions of liters of Domestos bleach will you need to start your spring clean ?

Checkmate Thaksin. He can now enjoy the rest of his life in Dubai. Never mind by the time the courts are finished the rest of the mafia family may want to join him.

On the way out Yingluck should have the morals and decency for once in her puppet life and with conviction cede governance and call for meaningful reform.

and then be voted back in as PM..... not a bad idea.

He will never be but if another of his lackey parties are voted back in, and are prepared to work within a reformed and strengthened law and the constitution, then I do not see a problem with that.

Edited to add that Yingluck is dead meat walking...she just not realise it yet. Her days as a PM are numbered.

I agree where can she go after this? In politics, nowhere. She's fallen from the top and that really doesn't look good on her permanent resume.

Edited by Local Drunk

Not unexpected at all, and apparently, the only way that they could possibly make the lady see sense.

What is now required is for her to make a public appearance announcing that the election is off, she and her caretaker government are stepping down, Suthep can therefore call off the street protests, and the business of carrying out necessary reforms can get under way.

She must also make it very clear to the Red Shirt extremists that their cause is over, and they should return to their homes; furthermore, anyone caught involved in any acts of shootings or bombing in response to the resignation of the government should be made to face the full extent of the law.

uum- ok-

So who is going to initiate the reforms you crave? Santa Clause? The Easter Bunny? My best friend? Sutheps backers?

You?

Sad you don't seem to know that there is a cumbersome system in place in most countries to answer that question- it is called- electoral democracy.

Or would you have us return to the days of Divine Right?

Just curious- would you mind stating publicly what country you come from that failed so miserably to teach to its youth the historically best method of resolving social conflict? And what level of education instructed you to trust in the benevolance of the tooth fairy?

Ahhhh.. Patience patience, my little citizen.

We have your best interests at heart and will tell you all in good time. Now back to work and stop asking questions too much.

• Like 2

As this election is losing not only populous support, but administrative as well, it is perhaps a good idea to look at the reality of this election. If the advance vote was the election itself, parliament would be 78 % filled, as opposed to the 95 % they are mandated to fill. The vacuum that the EC is trying to communicate to Yingluck is not a theory, but a present reality. With 8 provinces and 28 constituencies not participating, this parliament will not have a quorum under any circumstances whatsoever. And no court in the land will grant a perpetual caretaker administration legislative power.

BS, it is a good time to place good people in those resigned positions and began cleaning house on the crud that takes their orders from the elite, I am truly surprised that the EC commissioners have not resigned, that is the move I was expecting, I was hoping they would do as they threatened, it would be great to have some good people with some moral values and backbone to do that job properly.

The problem in this country are the corrupted bureaucrats, that take their orders from those that appointed them to those positions of power, the new governments needs to do some drastic housecleaning.

Spring cleaning time!.

+1

Sounds as good a starting point for reforms as any other

+1

it also excludes from office all those who were in government.

its probably been said already by someone more knowledgeable than me in the previous 8 pages and they may well correct me but here goes:

i think this current stand by the government is about one thing only . PT somehow have to cling to power for the next 180 days.

If they succeed the amnesty bill will pass and their paymaster proxy PM Thaksin will be absolved of his crimes and be free to return to Thailand.

Once absolved of his conviction he can stand again for a place in Thai politics.

As a convicted criminal, he cannot.

If they succeed Thailand will forever be under the thumb of this megalomaniacal tyrant and his corrupt family

I don't think you know much about Thailand

And nature abhors a vaccuum.

Even Prayuth has acknowledged that.

I trust you are in Thailand now. You better hope that Yingluck doesn't toss in the towell- if she does- then there are many people well armed waiting in the wings.. And neither you nor I want another Bosnia.

THINK

Edited by blaze

Not unexpected at all, and apparently, the only way that they could possibly make the lady see sense.

What is now required is for her to make a public appearance announcing that the election is off, she and her caretaker government are stepping down, Suthep can therefore call off the street protests, and the business of carrying out necessary reforms can get under way.

She must also make it very clear to the Red Shirt extremists that their cause is over, and they should return to their homes; furthermore, anyone caught involved in any acts of shootings or bombing in response to the resignation of the government should be made to face the full extent of the law.

And if the caretaker govt steps down, who will govern? And do you think that there won't be further protests?

If the REDs were to take to the streets, I would then believe in claims of millions marching.

I dare say the reds may indeed come to town.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

And this time it won't be with slingshots- there is much more to

'thailand than Bangkok and Surat-

And all the 'you started it' shit won't ;matter.

So Yingluck- stand firm- you step down and the reds WILL come- you cave- and the reds will come.

Stand firm.

You Khun Yingnluk are the person protecting Bangkok right now from the horror that could come if you succumb to the fascist demands/

what a load of garbage this post is, the reds are pathetic and only shoot people when they are not armed or shooting back, cowards to the end. They dont have the balls to face a volatile mob, and thats exactly what they will get now after all their pathetic attacks.

its probably been said already by someone more knowledgeable than me in the previous 8 pages and they may well correct me but here goes:

i think this current stand by the government is about one thing only . PT somehow have to cling to power for the next 180 days.

If they succeed the amnesty bill will pass and their paymaster proxy PM Thaksin will be absolved of his crimes and be free to return to Thailand.

Once absolved of his conviction he can stand again for a place in Thai politics.

As a convicted criminal, he cannot.

If they succeed Thailand will forever be under the thumb of this megalomaniacal tyrant and his corrupt family

Search on TV for K Channil's open letter for a different insight into the amnesty bill.

On second thoughts, here's the link

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/697904-to-barack-obama-mr-president-some-facts-you-should-know-about-the-thai-political-crisis/page-14#entry7349101

• Like 1

Checkmate Thaksin. He can now enjoy the rest of his life in Dubai. Never mind by the time the courts are finished the rest of the mafia family may want to join him.

On the way out Yingluck should have the morals and decency for once in her puppet life and with conviction cede governance and call for meaningful reform.

and then be voted back in as PM..... not a bad idea.

He will never be but if another of his lackey parties are voted back in, and are prepared to work within a reformed and strengthened law and the constitution, then I do not see a problem with that.

Edited to add that Yingluck is dead meat walking...she just not realise it yet. Her days as a PM are numbered.

I agree where can she go after this? In politics, nowhere. She's fallen from the top and that really doesn't look good on her permanent resume.

I tell you who is about as much use as a chocolate teapot is Abhisit.

If ever anyone has proven to be a stooge of the status quo it is him. Utterly pointless and irrelevant. Who'd love him? His mum I suppose.

• Like 1

The 'blanket amnesty bill' undemocratically pushed through parliament led to a spontaneous protest by Bangkok people, mostly middleclass. They wondered by the 'blanket' was put in the amnesty bill proposal, why the covering period extended to include the last two years of Thaksin and the first two of Yingluck. They wondered aloud why two readings and votes in slightly more than 24 hours. They wondered about the PM saying 'it's not done, more to follow, go home, wait'. Under pressure we had PM Yingluck trying to wask her hands of things with 'don't blame me, it's up to the senate' and more 'go home and wait'. Next a Senate speaker trying to get a quorum together to get a quick senate vote. Of course no pressure from the government.

Now tell me again your story of how the anti-government protest is just against redistributing political power to the provinces?

Rubl,

The Dutch are recognised as some of the most open minded people in Europe, if not the world........

There should be investigation into this resignations. It is not an isolated resignation but en masse.

And who do you think will conduct the investigation- that bastion of impartiality - the constitutional court- ?
I think voters should file a complaint with NACC. The entire EC if they accepted such en masse resignation without investigation. Voters can also file law suit against EC.

Send from my Mobile

Edited by icommunity
  • Like 1

Spring cleaning time!.

Start with the rotten rice, I wonder how many tons ??

make it into fertilizer-diesel - and sell it that way. But to answer you how many millions of liters of Domestos bleach will you need to start your spring clean ?

Does it matter? A journey, no matter how long, starts with the first step. A novel starts with the first word.

The road to reform, especially for Thailand, will be more difficult than pushing water uphill. But a start has to be made, somehow. All parties must approach with commitment, sincerity and perseverance (doubters, please spare me your usual inane remarks).

• Like 1

Rubl,

The Dutch are recognised as some of the most open minded people in Europe, if not the world........

We also tend to be sceptical, less likely to accept something just on the 'say so' by some 'knowledgable' figure. We like to challenge authority and still stay within the democratic framework we've worked on over the years and which seems to work so well for us. Elections with all parties who get a seat being a winner. A real multi-party coalition government with no party having more than 30 odd percent of seats.

Having said that, why are you pushing for this 'Channil letter'?

• Like 1

We also tend to be sceptical, less likely to accept something just on the 'say so' by some 'knowledgable' figure. We like to challenge authority and still stay within the democratic framework we've worked on over the years and which seems to work so well for us. Elections with all parties who get a seat being a winner. A real multi-party coalition government with no party having more than 30 odd percent of seats.

Because it's logic is indisputable, in my opinion.

• Like 2

you really need to learn to count or tell the truth better, if your in your mid 50's that would make you in you early to late teens/early twenties at most in the 70's, really pushing sh*t up hill with that claim and I was serving in the armed forces at that time so I know exactly what it was all about. What you are writing is fascist crap, cheering on deaths and promoting corrupt governments, pathetic jerk.gif at best

they truly are garbage and people are wondering why we not join the bleeding hearts when some 50 - 60 year old hard faced, armed fascists calling themselves students meet with exactly the same justice they are in the business of handing out.

The clear out should not stop with Suthep. the backers need to be ruined financially and hounded out of business and the country so they never try this again.

The Reform that may happen when Suthep loses could be the reform to end all reforms in Thailand and many supposed elites will rue the day they ever thought of reform.

Wow! I did not think that you're gloating celebration of a mans murder could get any lower, but I was wrong.

Do you intend to bring it into every thread or does even your bile and hatred have limits?

Once a fascist hater. Always a fascist hater. I'm only mid 50's but many of the people I worked with in the 70's were war vets. I know what extremists are capable of.

No apologies for hating dictators, fascists of supporters. THere is a democratic system here and even many Thai papers are saying that Yinglul should be defeate at the ballot box.

There is no popular support for Suthep and the whole world bar his fan club see this.

what a load of garbage this post is, the reds are pathetic and only shoot people when they are not armed or shooting back, cowards to the end. They dont have the balls to face a volatile mob, and thats exactly what they will get now after all their pathetic attacks.

Wow== your opinion of the poor- the happy slappy po' folk of thailandia- lovely- I want to go there some time.

Do they all dance molam and sing round de ol palm tree? / Waitin' for de big man to cum and give dem de money for demonstrate?

Man- you better hope you are correct.d

And truthfully-- I hope you are.

All Bangkok's 50 election directors resign

1101-40244-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- All election directors of Bangkok’s 50 districts have resigned en masse, Somchai Srisuthiyakorn, a member of the Election Commission revealed today.

He said that he has received the report of the resignation of all election directors of Bangkok today.

He said that it was the duty of the EC to appoint others to the vacancy.

He said that he also received report that the National Municipal League of Thailand has announced to boycott the general election.

This, he said, was to signal to the EC that all local government administration would not give cooperation to the EC in holding the election.

Mr Somchai, a EC commissioner in charge of the election holdng, was scheduled to meet the caretaker Prime Minister to consult the rescheduling of the February 2 election.

He said that during the meeting he would explain to the caretaker government that even though the government insisted on the February 2 election, it could not resolve anything as the EC could not announce names of the 500 MPs and might take over six months to announce all names.

This will plunge the country into a political vacuum in which the Parliament cannot convene, and government cannot be formed.

He suggested that if all sides turned to other better alternative that is to reschedule the election, it would be a better solution to resolve the conflict and this might take not more than four months.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/bangkoks-50-election-directors-resign/

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2014-01-28

Oh so now we are election hijacking, how much did that cost the PRDC or Military and once more epitomises the elite of Bangkok treating the rest of the nation with the greatest of disdain. All pro government supporters watch this space as now the games are really going to begin and it augers very poorly for many people and lives lost just because 50 EC idiots did not fulfill their duty to King and country. What ensues now will not be on Yinglucks hands but rather dems, PRDC and possibly the military.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

This brinkmanship is designed to break Yingluk and make her and her government resign to save bloodshed.

The elites hope is that their order can be maintained and strengthened and that the red shirts will stand aside as Yingluk and PTP will advise them to wait for a future election.

That the elites would risk the country descending into civil war because of their obstinacy shows them to be venal and arrogant beyond measure.

There will be martial law, a cull of red leaders and intellectual sympathisers and the bars will remain open for business with no customers.

• Like 2

Spring cleaning time!.

yes I am quite sure you would like to replace them with thaksins preffered people, maybe a few red shirts as a reward for killing the protesters that would certainly make you happy. Corruption is obviously to your liking, no wonder you live in the north, makes you feel right at home with all the others like you next door.

Because it's logic is indisputable, in my opinion.

I'm not going to dissect each paragraph just for the fun of it or your amusement.

As it's past 7:30PM and I'm getting hungry and thirsty, for now let's just say that we agree to disagree. If I find the time the coming days I'll go through the 'letter' and point out the assumptions which are only logically from a single starting point of "the others are wrong".

By for now,

uncle rubl

Were none of you people in Thailand in August- months before the amnesty bill was proposed- Do you not remember the protesters were already encamped in LUmphini?

The amnesty bill was just the excuse they needed to enlist the top Democrats in their dream to restore Thailand to its pristine pre-1932 beauty.

Do you not remember the form of gov't proposed by Sonthi and Chamlong back in '05?

This is old money rallying to enemies of some people who have conflicts with new money- and rationalizing it in terms of

thaksin- Every society has gone (usually two hundred years ago) through the same conflict-

It is not about hatred of Thaksin (among those who 'matter'- ) it is about hatred of the prospect of redistribution of political power to the provinces.

Actually the interesting thing is I know a couple of well educated red shirts - they also was opposed to the amnesty bill, because it would let Abhisit government off the hook for the crackdown on 2010 protesters...

Apart from that - there were protest against the government . that is thai political tradition - 4-500 yellow shirts were protesting - but seriously no one was taking notice...

The amnesty bill was the political suicide - actually the democrats was in normal state of politics (as performed in Thailand) but with absolut majority the government didn't consider listening to any opposition - and kept lending money from the outside world... To pay the CityBank economy system they tried to enforce...

Old money new money - no no no - go into Bangkok, to MBK - ask peoples WHY the hell they are there - and I can guarentee You they are NOT there to protect any form of old money, or money at all, yes most I know are annoyed to pay tax to a government that is openly corrupt... Peoples I have been talking to in the MBK camp is there to get reforms... As they say "shutdown Bangkok - to restart Thailand" - ALL Thailand... Not the south, not central, not the north east but Thailand...

And as I am born in a democratic society I hope they will succeed...

Only 10% of the working population pay income tax. You won't find many of them in mbk I promise.

But they pay 40% of the net Tax through VAT.

They therefore have earned the right to vote and be represented.

• Like 1

Actually the interesting thing is I know a couple of well educated red shirts - they also was opposed to the amnesty bill, because it would let Abhisit government off the hook for the crackdown on 2010 protesters...

Apart from that - there were protest against the government . that is thai political tradition - 4-500 yellow shirts were protesting - but seriously no one was taking notice...

The amnesty bill was the political suicide - actually the democrats was in normal state of politics (as performed in Thailand) but with absolut majority the government didn't consider listening to any opposition - and kept lending money from the outside world... To pay the CityBank economy system they tried to enforce...

Old money new money - no no no - go into Bangkok, to MBK - ask peoples WHY the hell they are there - and I can guarentee You they are NOT there to protect any form of old money, or money at all, yes most I know are annoyed to pay tax to a government that is openly corrupt... Peoples I have been talking to in the MBK camp is there to get reforms... As they say "shutdown Bangkok - to restart Thailand" - ALL Thailand... Not the south, not central, not the north east but Thailand...

And as I am born in a democratic society I hope they will succeed...

Didn't you know the yellow shirts already have amnesty.

The original bill was for an amnesty for the red shirts, locked up for 3 years without trial, who languish behind bars.

I guess you conveniently forget about that.

• Like 1

And if the caretaker govt steps down, who will govern? And do you think that there won't be further protests?

If the REDs were to take to the streets, I would then believe in claims of millions marching.

Depends if someone (in a desert overseas) who knows its a lost cause will continue funding them.

On the december 22. march - I was counting not under 30 peoples in every row of peoples on Vibhawadi road going from government complex... The line of peoples at that time was over 6 km when they reached the big intersection at Lat Prao - Pahon Yothin, and more were added to the line... I think the distance between one person in front and one person behind was less than 1 meter at any point of the line - making that one demonstration march carrying at least 180,000 peoples - the demonstration that day came from 9 places in the city - the Vibhawadi being the biggest (with Suthep) so maybe the others only had 150,000 marching...

Many was at the endpoints, and more added on the way - do the math : (8 * 150,000) + 180,000 = 1,380,000 marching probably as thai peoples really don't like to walk - as many in the endpoints - making it a 2.5 million demonstration at least...

I know a lot who went there, and went homw as they had to get to work, they are still there after work and before work on average days, and most of the days in weekends... There are not millions now, right now there are less than 100,000 spread all over the town, but I am very sure that if this (caretaker)government tries to make another hidden move (as the amnesty bill) You will see millions in the streets again...

I know peoples in Surat (government) who are very freely here in Bangkok in support of this protest, in south the rubber farmers are quite dissatisfied by the government giving to ricefarmers but not helping the rubber industry...

The Students are "Student and people" movement - peoples meaning old guys too...

The ricefarmers are in grave problems - they are pawning their land, loaning money from loan sharks and has already long time ago pawned their harvest, but the peoples they are in debt to, do not want them to march... That is why the march and closing of big roads leading into Bangkok (Rama II last week) are being done by independant farmers who have the resources to look over their own nose and into another future...

Sadly the poorest in this country either aren't told (shame on the democracy movement) or are being intimidated away from protesting their rightful dissatisfaction with the fact that they are just getting more and more poor...

A 6km protest line? Well lets looks for a length shot to get an idea of the length, here's he MBK group from that day from Dailymail:

article-2520835-19F9FF9400000578-290_634

OK, thats from after MBK to just before the tall building, which in Google maps makes it 350meters, I count 20 across at the front, but lets be very generous and count 4people per sqm meter. 350 x 12 (width of the lane) * 4 = 16800.

The march probably reached its peak around Siam/Central, difficult to find a good shot there, in this one they run out around the Arnoma hotel (the white building on the right),

Ratchaprasong.jpg

Assume it runs on a bit, and into the sides, thats 300 meters long, I'll give you the full 50m width, (as if the world trade runs the full width of the 300m), same ultra-high pack density of 4 persons per sqm, we're looking at 50*300*4 = 60000 tops.

If you have a better photo to measure from do share. I think you're simply measuring the same crowd as it moved around the protest group though, which was raher the point of marching them round the route: to create multiple photo opportunities from the same people and the perceptions of vast numbers.

I don't think there are 100k right now currently, I counted 20-30 at the larger polling stations in BKK, so about 1000 or so.

Rubber farmers disatisfied? Yep, rubber prices have dropped as petroleum has dropped. Agreed. This is where the core of protestors come from I think, I notice they're very very black faced, typical of southern field workers.

'Old' Students ? I don't think a 56 year old identifies himself as a student unless the intent is to deceive people.

Rice farmers need money? Yep, so lets get the elections done so the January bond money can be paid out.

Edited by BlueNoseCodger
  • Like 1

Spring cleaning time!.

yes I am quite sure you would like to replace them with thaksins preffered people, maybe a few red shirts as a reward for killing the protesters that would certainly make you happy. Corruption is obviously to your liking, no wonder you live in the north, makes you feel right at home with all the others like you next door.

Howdy, thaisaregrt, you've only joined us for a fortnight and you are already insulting fellow posters.

We at TVF welcome passionate discussion on all manners of topics, but we do refrain from bandying unfounded allegations (e.g. Corruption is obviously to your liking). Dispute the opinions, but don't make personal attacks on the members.

• Like 1