Thai PM maintains February 2 election date: ruling party source

webfact

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The seats that will probably not be contested are those that the PTP does not expect to win. Having the election this weekend means that it is possible that the PTP may have an absolute majority of MPs (over 250). If that is the case but the House cannot start its session because there are fewer than 95% of MPs sitting, I think the buck passes to the National Assembly, that is, the Senate, that can pass an Emergency Decree to nominate a Council of Ministers. However, if the PTP can show an absolute majority yet the Senate nominates non-PTP Ministers, then the undemocratic nature of the establishment will be plain for all to see. It is possible that the current Ministers could stay "in office" but unless their full powers are reinstated they would be a lame-duck government... till the next round.

• Like 1

Bravo Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra! Bring the vote.

Our prayers are with you.

Bravo! (Maybe you can still) BUY the vote, for those farmers who still can't accept they've been cheated and lied to.

Bravo Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra! Our prayers are still with you. And at a time of your choosing please accept our humble, human sacrifices of the lame and the ignorant who post here amongst us. May they enrich the soil of Thailand for all it's people. Amen.

• Like 1

The number of voters will be 10 - 20 times more than last Sunday. If the protesters try to obstruct the people's democratic right they are absolutely in the wrong and deserve everything they get.

So violence IS tolerated under these circumstances then?

I think that is very sensible. Now Mr. Suthep can show that he is really democratic as he claims, by removing his "thugs" from outside the polling stations and allowing every Thai citizen their unalienable right to vote. Surely this is what all democracy is about! One person, one vote. Let the people decide.

Think about what you're saying maybe?? There are only going to be one set of candidates fielded in this farce of an election, voters do not have a choice who to vote for, they can only abstain!

I thought there many different parties contesting the election?

I think that is very sensible. Now Mr. Suthep can show that he is really democratic as he claims, by removing his "thugs" from outside the polling stations and allowing every Thai citizen their unalienable right to vote. Surely this is what all democracy is about! One person, one vote. Let the people decide.

Think about what you're saying maybe?? There are only going to be one set of candidates fielded in this farce of an election, voters do not have a choice who to vote for, they can only abstain!

Most of which are from the previous PTP Coalition...

Welcome to the Democratic Republic of Thaksinland, please leave your weapons at the door.

Nope this is what you call a AutoDemocracy, where the rich and powerful take the law into their own hands for their own selfish backstabbing purposes.

"Dear people of Thailand, we will hold elections and have it our way, whether you like it or not. The fiasko with the Election committee was just a farce, see you again on February 2nd, 2014,... Have a nice day" cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifgiggle.gifgiggle.gifgiggle.gif

I think there is a choice of candidates in most seats. As candidates in my part of Bangkok have been allocated polling numbers up to 15, I assume there are that many candidates. That, to me represents a democratic choice.

Bravo Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra! Bring the vote.

Our prayers are with you.

What a joke...............

"Elections on February 2nd could not be any more cartoonishly 3rd world, corrupt, and illegitimate. The opposition is boycotting them, the only major party contending them is openly run by a convicted criminal and his own sister, and now they have outlawed protests, opposition media, and suspended the rule of law.......... If they do begin censoring the media, arresting the opposition, and dispersing protesters – (media, opposition, and protesters all being parts of democracy, not just elections) their “victory” on February 2nd will look no different that Saddam’s or Kim Jong Ill’s. If they fail to disrupt protests which are set to expand as rice farmers cheated by the regime begin joining in, it will be the final nail in their coffin. The regime will not survive if elections are postponed." http://www.globalresearch.ca/thailand-thaksins-mad-dash-to-sham-elections/5365800

Thaksin is running out of cards to play, the spin doctors are working overtime doing damage control. His only option is to win a legitimate election, form a parliament, gain control of the treasury and grant themselves amnesty.

Hmmm.... interesting comment. And here I am, all along thinking that they were getting stronger by the day......

• Like 2

Welcome to the Democratic Republic of Thaksinland, please leave your weapons at the door.

....and most of which also formed part of the Democrat led coalition that was the government prior to Yingluck's

Please tell us why oh wise one! Well the reason is that Sethups guys are the guys playing Al Capone, setting up road block, searching people, now even stories off intimidation on people going to work. IN Mongolia we have saying

" When a Bull Yak is interrupted with his Lady friend, better not be a passing attractive Camel"

• Like 2

This is not just the wish and decision of PTP party. It is the voices of the people represented by all other political parties. I think BJT has changed their mind - so, minus one at this stage. The caretaker government had consulted all political parties during an open discussion but EC, DEM and its PDRC boycotted.

So there are many different parties contesting the election?

The blood is in her's and her brothers hands.

Hi Costas, so when in your home country the (election) law is enforced and the leader/PM/President doesn't bent for anarchists in the street, the Government Leader is responsible for eventual bloodshed? What a nonense. Yingluck does the right thing: heads up and follow the path of election. The voter can speak........

• Like 2

The number of voters will be 10 - 20 times more than last Sunday. If the protesters try to obstruct the people's democratic right they are absolutely in the wrong and deserve everything they get.

I guess the EC didn't officially tell yet how many people voted last Sunday (and certainly not how they voted).

Figures on registration for advanced voting have been spares as well, but a few hundred thousands might be possible. 10 to 20 times more would mean a turn-out of less than 4 million or so coming Sunday.

BTW 2011

registered to vote from abroad: 147,330, actual votes ?

advance voting, actual votes: 2.6 million people, including 1.07 million in Bangkok

total votes cast: about 35 million

The blood is in her's and her brothers hands.

Hi Costas, so when in your home country the (election) law is enforced and the leader/PM/President doesn't bent for anarchists in the street, the Government Leader is responsible for eventual bloodshed? What a nonense. Yingluck does the right thing: heads up and follow the path of election. The voter can speak........

Perfectly said Keep it going Madam prime minster defeat the rabble

• Like 1

I think there is a choice of candidates in most seats. As candidates in my part of Bangkok have been allocated polling numbers up to 15, I assume there are that many candidates. That, to me represents a democratic choice.

In 'my' district (5 Dusit) there were papers with 7 candidates displayed, including list 1, 14 and 15. On my way in Bangkok I've seen list 29.

Interesting is the smiling candidate in fantasy uniform with many medals. List 7 although the form and colors remind me of 7/11 wink.png

So if only PT supporters vote, isn't there a minimum turnout the government would need to be able to form a viable government?

No! it is only the Democrats and their supporters that are not voting, all of the rest of the country is voting the winner should be allowed the victory, as the Court is now making law, maybe they will find that those that boycotted the election would have lost anyway even if they had voted.

Stranger things have happened in the LOS!

c

Cheers

Unless you're a Thai citizen and can actually vote on Sunday, why are so many getting caught up in a playground fight with children?

If you don't like the way Thailand was/is/will be run...leave it really down't get much simpler than that.

If you have lived in Thailand a long time, and see the good the bad and the ugly, then what's different now than it was then?

Thaksin/Suthep it doesn't matter, they're both megalomaniacs, hell bent in splintering the country.

Some of the comments from forum members over the past few days is shameful, some people seriously need to step the <deleted> away from the keyboard and go and get laid!!

OK you go and find some PAXO cheesy.gif

Edited by ginjag

It is only democratic if the 15 haven't secretly been bought by the camel herder.

• Like 1

It’s final: General election on Sunday, as scheduled
By Digital Content

13909085092108-640x390x2.jpg

BANGKOK, Jan 28 – The caretaker government stood firm that the general election will be held this Sunday as originally scheduled, the Election Commission (EC) announced today.

EC chairman Supachai Somcharoen said after a meeting with caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra that the government wanted the election to be held as scheduled in response to the demand of the majority of Thai people.

The advance election has proved that people in 66 provinces, or the majority of Thailand’s population, were in favour of the election. The government believed that an election delay will not stop the anti-government protest and called on the EC to perform its duty, he said.

“We have followed the Constitution Court’s suggestion (to hold talks the government). We will work with our full capability in organising the election. We will ask police and military personnel to guard sensitive and violence-prone areas,” he said.

Asked who will be accountable for violence on Sunday, Mr Supachai said the issue was not raised for discussion.

“If balloting is disrupted, we will start with negotiations (with protesters) the way we did last Sunday during the advance election. If trouble remains, we will close the polling booth,” he said.

Caretaker Deputy Prime Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul earlier threatened to take legal action against the EC for not performing its duty in organising the general election.

In his response to Mr Surapong’s statement, the EC chairman said the agency has done its best in holding the election but “we won’t have any problem if he wants to take action against us.”

Ms Yingluck was accompanied by several senior Cabinet members during her meeting with all five EC members today. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-01-28

It’s final: General election on Sunday, as scheduled

By Digital Content

13909085092108-640x390x2.jpg

BANGKOK, Jan 28 – The caretaker government stood firm that the general election will be held this Sunday as originally scheduled, the Election Commission (EC) announced today.

EC chairman Supachai Somcharoen said after a meeting with caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra that the government wanted the election to be held as scheduled in response to the demand of the majority of Thai people.

The advance election has proved that people in 66 provinces, or the majority of Thailand’s population, were in favour of the election. The government believed that an election delay will not stop the anti-government protest and called on the EC to perform its duty, he said.

“We have followed the Constitution Court’s suggestion (to hold talks the government). We will work with our full capability in organising the election. We will ask police and military personnel to guard sensitive and violence-prone areas,” he said.

Asked who will be accountable for violence on Sunday, Mr Supachai said the issue was not raised for discussion.

“If balloting is disrupted, we will start with negotiations (with protesters) the way we did last Sunday during the advance election. If trouble remains, we will close the polling booth,” he said.

Caretaker Deputy Prime Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul earlier threatened to take legal action against the EC for not performing its duty in organising the general election.

In his response to Mr Surapong’s statement, the EC chairman said the agency has done its best in holding the election but “we won’t have any problem if he wants to take action against us.”

Ms Yingluck was accompanied by several senior Cabinet members during her meeting with all five EC members today. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2014-01-28

No option, they called the early election so have to go with it, for better or worse.