Bangkok traffic police ordered to crack down on 13 traffic law violations

webfact

Feb Fun: Traffic police ordered to crack down on 13 traffic law violations
By Coconuts Bangkok

zt20130130_traffic_cbk045-l_0.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Without pedestrians dodging sidewalk motorists, will it still feel like Thailand?

All 88 Bangkok police stations have been ordered to take undisciplined driving seriously and issue tickets to drivers who break traffic laws.

All of this starts Saturday.

The Metropolitan Police Bureau plans 2014 to be the year of strict punishment for traffic law violators in order to decrease accidents on the road, according to Police Maj. Gen. Jirason Kaewsangeak, the commander of traffic police.

He added all traffic police in Bangkok will focus on the following 13 basic traffic laws: [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2014/01/29/feb-fun-traffic-police-ordered-crack-down-13-traffic-law-violations

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-01-29

• Like 1

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Parking in prohibited area

2. Double parking

3. Parking on sidewalk

4. Driving on sidewalk

5. Overtaking other vehicles in the congested traffic

These violations are east to spot, just go to Ramkamheng 24 at around 5-9pm starts from the shell gas station all the way to Rajamangala stadium and it takes you 45 minutescrazy.gifcrazy.gif !! Police blowing whistle like theres no tomorrow at Ramkamheng University gate...clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif1zgarz5.gif1zgarz5.gif1zgarz5.gif

• Like 2

1. Parking in prohibited area

2. Double parking

3. Parking on sidewalk

4. Driving on sidewalk

5. Overtaking other vehicles in the congested traffic

6. Overtaking other vehicles in public

7. Driving against the arrow sign

8. Running red lights

9. Driving under the influence of alcohol

10. Not fastening seatbelt

11. Using mobile while driving

12. Driving without a license

13. Speeding

Fund raising for the future.

Now there is traffic they can make up for lost time revenue.

No mention of crosswalks! In most countries drivers are required to yield to pedestrians in crosswalks. Here they are largely ignored, even when there are push-buttons, timers and signal lights. At the one near me, I push the button, wait patiently for 40 seconds, and when the 'walk' light turns green -- I continue to wait as the traffic just goes on whizzing by, right through the red lights! Even if I manage to stop the cars and trucks by actually standing on the crosswalk in the middle of a traffic lane, the motorcycles threading the narrow gaps between those vehicles continue at full speed. And nothing stops the buses. I never try to cross the street ahead of an approaching bus. They don't even slow down; in fact I think they speed up and try to hit me before I can scuttle across to the the (relative) safety of the opposite sidewalk - where I am just as likely to get hit by a motorcycle taxi!

I would love to know if there is any law about any of this, and if there is, why there is not even any pretence of enforcement.

• Like 1

mmm what is "6. Overtaking other vehicles in public" ?

I must admit this one has me a tad bit confused my self

Maybe it got lost in translation.

Maybe no overtaking in public squares or no overtaking while scratching your pubes after a night at the karaoke bar.

• Like 1