ban on sale of alcohol in pattaya

bow

We have an election day coming up, soner or later. And with it a ban on sale of alcohol.

In Bangkok ban on sales are clearly noticable. In my second home in rural central Thailand about 50 % stop selling and 50 % ignore the rules. I have been to places in the north-east where everybody proudly ignore bans on alcohol sales.

What about Pattaya, "notorious for its wild night life". Would I notice any difference , walking down Walking Street ?

As you might expect in the land of inconsistency the effect of the "ban" will be mixed. Some bars will be completely closed, some will be open as normal, others will be selling beer in teacups. But you will notice a difference, how much of one is hard to predict.

Would I notice any difference

There'll be an increase in the volume of the normally high-pitched whining by clueless farang wandering about muttering how "absurd" it all is. The same farang who consider themselves to be experts on what the police are doing, what politicians are doing, what's going on in the shops & bars and every other aspect of life in Pattaya can't figure out how to cope with the sales ban on liquor. You'll find them standing in front of a 7-Eleven looking totally gobsmacked and lost. More to be pitied than scorned, I guess.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/699302-bars-closed/

• Like 1

On election weekend, walk around Soi Buakhao (or anywhere else) and look for an overabundance of coffee cups, no music and low lighting. Whether a bar is open or not depends on how much they've been paying the, ah, you know!

The law is no alcohol sales on election days...not that restaurants and bars that serve food, alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks must close. Whether a particular place decides to open or not has more to do with their expected sales on such "dry" days and not anything else.

Would I notice any difference

There'll be an increase in the volume of the normally high-pitched whining by clueless farang wandering about muttering how "absurd" it all is. The same farang who consider themselves to be experts on what the police are doing, what politicians are doing, what's going on in the shops & bars and every other aspect of life in Pattaya can't figure out how to cope with the sales ban on liquor. You'll find them standing in front of a 7-Eleven looking totally gobsmacked and lost. More to be pitied than scorned, I guess.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/699302-bars-closed/

Am sure you'll have an enjoyable day nonetheless......