Mae Sai say fly in next time, red stamp at Vientiane, what now?

I got a red stamp in Vientiane, and was only given a single entry tourist visa there in October 2013.

Was given a piece of paper saying mmany people had been working without permits.

Last time I went to Mae Sai (2nd time since october) for visa on arrival, they told me I couldnt go there again, and said I would have to fly into Thailand the next time.

So my questions are; , can I still get Visa on Arrival some other land crossing?

Can I still get tourist visa from another place(Svannaket,Penang,Phnom Penh, Rangoon etc)?

Or do I need to fly back into thailand?

get a ed visa around 25k a year..

Agree, that is what I did 3 years ago. Over a year it is even just a little cheaper than Loas runs.

School is only 4 hours, so that should not be a problem for anyone.

Now after 3 years ED-Visa I am ready for retirement visa/age

Agree, that is what I did 3 years ago. Over a year it is even just a little cheaper than Loas runs.

And on top of that after studying Thai for three years you must be nearly fluent in reading, writing and speaking. Well done.

• Like 2

whistling.gif You may be able to get a visa somewhere else, but you are stretching your luck and running out of options soon.

That "piece of paper" you got about people working illegally in Thailand was meant as a warning to you.

That's because they are trying to tell you they don't believe you are a legitimate tourist and are probably working in Thailand.

It is a "Thai way" of "saving face" and not directly confronting you with the accusation that you are not a real tourist.

In Thailand, direct confrontation of another person is not good form, it not only causes the Thai making the accusation "lose face" but it also makes the person confronted "lose face",so they tried to tell you politely .... in a Thai way.

It would be wise to pay attention to their hint, and find some other way of staying in Thailand by finding another way of getting a legal visa, before they get really angry.

Don't deliberately tweak the Tiger's nose, because the Tiger has sharp claws and big teeth if you get him angry.

No..they are not afraid to tell you that you are doing something wrong. They will confront you and tell you plainly. Had them speak to me plainly many times, and you can find many posts where officials dealing with visas will tell you up front. Nothing to do with "face".

It is just a warning and only that. You know what to do.

Change your passport for a new one. Or tell your embassy you need two passports. It is not unusual, if they refuse tell them you have to go to Israel and after that to the gulf.

I did the 2 passport thing for years when they came out with the rule saying you were only allowed into Thailand for a certain amount of days per year on VOA, I forget the exact ruling. Wind the clock forward a few years and I had a post working in Thailand. When I went to renew my work visa the immigration officer informed me since I had 2 passports I should only use my passport with the work visa to enter the country, not that I would have done otherwise anyway. The thing that struck me was how he knew I had 2 passports as I or my agent never mentioned it to them.

And on top of that after studying Thai for three years you must be nearly fluent in reading, writing and speaking. Well done.

"Over a year it is even just a little cheaper than Loas runs."

"you must be nearly fluent in reading, writing and speaking."

Does that include reading, writing and speaking "Loas?"

Change your passport for a new one. Or tell your embassy you need two passports. It is not unusual, if they refuse tell them you have to go to Israel and after that to the gulf.

I did the 2 passport thing for years when they came out with the rule saying you were only allowed into Thailand for a certain amount of days per year on VOA, I forget the exact ruling. Wind the clock forward a few years and I had a post working in Thailand. When I went to renew my work visa the immigration officer informed me since I had 2 passports I should only use my passport with the work visa to enter the country, not that I would have done otherwise anyway. The thing that struck me was how he knew I had 2 passports as I or my agent never mentioned it to them.

"you were only allowed into Thailand for a certain amount of days per year on VOA,"

Visa On Arrival is not a Visa Exempt Entry. Either the Immigrations officer was quite confused ... or could it have been you're from Lithuania?

The VISA ON ARRIVAL allows passport holders of 19* countries to enter Thailand under this rule provided that they meet these requirements:

1. The visit is strictly for tourism purposes.
  2. They must have a confirmed return ticket to show that they are flying out of Thailand within 30 or 15 days of entry, as appropriate. Open tickets do not qualify. Travelling overland out of Thailand by train, bus, etc to Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia (including en route to Singapore), Myanmar, etc is not accepted as proof of exiting Thailand.

You may be asked to show your flight ticket on entering Thailand. If you do not possess a flight ticket to show you will be exiting Thailand within 30 or 15 days of entry you will be most likely to be refused entry.

3. It will also be necessary to prove that you have funds of at least 20,000 THB per person during your stay in Thailand. A fee of 1,000 THB is payable upon entry and is subject to change without notice.

However, persons who are not eligible to enter Thailand under the VISA ON ARRIVAL and VISA EXEMPTION RULE are advised to obtain visas with the Royal Thai Embassy prior to their visit.

Countries eligible to enter Thailand under the VISA ON ARRIVAL rule:

1. Bhutan
  2. China
  3. Cyprus
  4. Czech Republic
  5. Estonia
  6. Hungary
  7. India
  8. Kazakhstan
  9. Latvia
  10. Liechtenstein
  11. Lithuania
  12. Maldives
  13. Mauritius
  14. Poland
  15. Saudi Arabia
  16. Slovakia
  17. Slovenia
  18. Taiwan
  19. Ukraine

The thing that struck me was how he knew I had 2 passports as I or my agent never mentioned it to them.

Easy - if you have used both passports at any border or at Immigration, they have the information on their computers. The advice for red stamped passports to be replaced by new ones only works as long as the embassies granting the visas do not run a search on you in the Immigration system, and they normally don't.

Once some higher boss makes new rules that the immigration database has to be consulted on every visa application, renewing your passport to a "clean one" won't help any more. And trust me, that day is going to arrive, sooner or later, since the technology is there and the databases are already up to date, it is now only upon the users (visa officers) to adopt the practise.

Edited by koo

A flight with Air Asia from BKK to Penang cost you anywhere from 4000 to 4500 baht two way. Just had this last weekend. So the cost are really low.

Also 3500 baht one way to Philippines...saw a return flight for 700 baht. so more or less the same as Penang. And Philippines has......Angeles...if you need that. What a great week away. If Angeles is too much like soi six in Pattaya, then go to Barrio Barretto near Olongapo. You fly in at Clark and Fields Ave (Angeles City) is just five minutes from the terminal. Barrio Barretto has some nice clubs and pubs on the beach... (one hour from Angeles). Thats how I do it boyz.

• 3 weeks later...