29 year old us guy,how can i live in thailand indefinitely on visa?

im sure this question gets asked many times but with the current changes to the education visa is there anyway a person can live there indefinitely with education visa renewels still? at the present I cant get retirement visa and not willing to risk marrying a thai woman anytime soon...

if I go to class regularly and apply myself with my studies can I still stay on 1 year extensions with the education visa or does it have a cap?

Edited by jaytaylor84

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only limit on ED visas and extension is your course of study. If school can provide a higher level of education then you can get the extension.

You should consider going to school and getting to the point where you could possibly work here.

• Like 2

I don't think you could keep going to school to just study languages for much more than 5 years.

There is no work visa. You need a work permit to work and the proper visa/extension to obtain it.

If you can come up with 10 million baht to invest (condo and/or money in bonds and/or bank accounts) here you can get an extension of stay for that.

• Like 1

For a language school extensions will typically be for 90 days at a time. The course will be certified for a number of years, mostly 3 or 5 years. After that you can start a new course and you are not limited to Thai language.

University studies normally get 1 year extensions of stay.

• Like 1

You can do it on tourist visas but you have to keep going outside the region every 9 months to get a triple entry. Better to stay on 'ED' given your age so work hard and learn the Thai language with a view to working. I've been on tourist visas for the last 5 years without an issue but always go to the UK for a new one rather than apply in the region. 3 more years and I can apply for a retirement visa... Given the good exchange rate I should chuck a million in a Thai bank but it's a little to volatile at the moment so holding out.

Stick with the 'ED' in my opinion.

isn't there caps on all the visas so that one cant stay "indefinitely" in country? I was planning on using education visas until I meet the criteria for retirement visa..

There are visas and extension of stay which are not the same.

Getting continuous visas from an embassy or consulates can be difficult.

Going to a language school you would qualify for extension of stay. Dependent upon where you are staying they can be 90 days, 180 days or one year. As said you will eventually reach a limit on how long you can keep doing it.

If you get an extension for working there would be no limit as long as you keep your job. The same can be said for other types of extensiona such as for investment.

Expired tourist visa means no car rentals, hotel stays, travelling due to police checkpoints, walking in public (police checks), and always a worry about being stopped.

Just do what I do….study Thai and it takes about 2 hours of waiting every 3 months. You do have to go to school though last time they spoke Thai to me.

isn't there caps on all the visas so that one cant stay "indefinitely" in country? I was planning on using education visas until I meet the criteria for retirement visa..

You are talking about 21 years before getting a retirement visa. Nobody can answer what you are asking because nobody knows the future.

• Like 1

You are talking about 21 years before getting a retirement visa. Nobody can answer what you are asking because nobody knows the future.

yep..you are just too young to qualify for the retirement deal.

See Asia...enjoy....don't become a young retired expat dodging those visas.

Travel it up....meet people your age....might come up with connections all over Thailand, as well as neighboring countries.

Yeah...you can do it forever...if you watch your habits and live without big luxuries...on your income...if thats forever.

Do not buy houses/cars/condos. Live In...no need to marry. (Or maybe that is advice too late given)

enroll in school when options run out. Save that for later. You can learn the language just by mingling/studying at home. Get some Thai gals to help you out.

• Like 1

from investments ill have 1300 minimum a month..isn't that quite doable living on one of the various islands off of phucket, really thinking about koh phangan

that hugely depends on you, I lived comfortably in Cha-am (and now Bangkok) for less than 1/3 of that for more than six months.

not sure about the islands off of Phuket but then again, once you start partying, drinking, smoking, gambling or paying for girls, I reckon it would not be enough for a lot of people :P

I do none of the above.

• Like 1

Register a Thai company, get a WP with an income of 50.000 THB a month and you can get an extension of stay for 1 year (you can reniew it every year). It will cost you about 6.000 B a month (SS, personal income taxes, accountant fee, etc.) plus 15.000 a year to close the balance. Plus of course the fee to register the company and get the WP and proper Visa. Talk to an accountant and they will explain to you how it works in details. This is a very simple way to stay here and many people do it in this way.

If you are interested, send me a PM, I have a Company for sale that could make you save some money...

your best legal and long-term option is as mentioned above...get an education here that will allow you to get a work permit later on (i.e. part-time English-teaching job). If you're planning to stay in Thailand a long, long time, then your stay here will be a lot more pleasant if you learn Thai, whether or not you get a visa out of it.

And rest assured....after a few years on the islands, you'll get bored and be seeking new horizons. So no use planning more than five years ahead.

29 year old us guy ...

from investments ill have 1300 minimum a month..isn't that quite doable living on one of the various islands off of phucket, really thinking about koh phangan

Presumably that's 1300 in US$??

Indefinitely is quite a long time. That amount (assuming dollars) might be adequate for bare bones existence in 2014, but unless the income has some sort of cost of living adjustment built in, it won't be adequate indefinitely. I own my condo, have comprehensive medical insurance and still manage to spend more than two times that amount per month now while leading the sort of life that would not appeal to many 29 year olds for very long. And even if you hold out to retirement age, $1300 won't get you a retirement extension.

Do you have insurance in case of illness or injury? At 29 it won't be too expensive, but the cost will probably rise faster than inflation.

Right now education visas and serial tourist visas aren't that difficult to manage, but there seems to be a trend toward raising the bar as they discover an increasing number of farang indigents or farang who work locally while on permissions-to-stay that prohibit work or chronic over-stayers. Hopefully you will have a fall-back plan in the event that "indefinitely" turns to 7 days to exit following an extension refusal.

Even if you do become fluent in Thai, the opportunities to find employment in Thailand for foreigners are bound to be increasingly limited as unemployment continues to be a problem both in the developed and developing countries.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

I don't think you could keep going to school to just study languages for much more than 5 years.

There is no work visa. You need a work permit to work and the proper visa/extension to obtain it.

If you can come up with 10 million baht to invest (condo and/or money in bonds and/or bank accounts) here you can get an extension of stay for that.

Is that 10 million a ball park figure or is it specific, and if so why?

Is that 10 million a ball park figure or is it specific, and if so why?

That is the minimum amount according to clause 2.5 of police order 777/2551/

B. Investment of no less than Baht 10 million:

The alien:

(1) Must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM).

(2) Must have evidence of transferring funds into Thailand of no less than Baht 10 million.

(3) Must have evidence of investing in the purchase or rental of a condominium unit for a period of

no less than 3 years issued by a relevant agency or government, at a purchase or rental price of no

less than Baht 10 million; or

(4) Must have evidence of investing in the form of a fixed deposit of no less than Baht 10 million

with a bank which is registered in Thailand and has Thai nationals holding more than 50 percent of

its shares; or

(5) Must have evidence of investing in the purchase of government or state enterprise bonds of no

less than Baht 10 million; or

(6) Must have evidence of making an investment as set out in Criteria (3), (4), or (5) with a total

value of not less than Baht 10 million.

• Like 1