Timed Auto-closing Of Topics

Phil Conners

I submitted a request to see if they could add the topic start date under the Topic Starter column like there is in the last post column but would require the software company to make the changes. Occasionally an older topic pops backup though that is useful so I don't think retiring all topics after one month would be a good idea. I have seen one year old topics pop up though that probably would be better off retired. :o

If you place your cursor over a topic, a box pops up showing when it was started. Unfortunately most people, especially newbies, don't notice it.

Certainly not a newbie and would have noticed it by now or else I wouldn't have posted my request. I've tried it in Firefox and IE (hovered the cursor over every hot link) and it just doesn't happen. The only popup is over Forum and it just repeats what forum it is. Would like to know how you are able to do it?

I'm not in favour of closing old topics whatsoever. Sometimes people DO searches and might feel that they want to add a comment.

Apart from that - with a bit of timing you could have the last word to easy... :o

Certainly not a newbie and would have noticed it by now or else I wouldn't have posted my request. I've tried it in Firefox and IE (hovered the cursor over every hot link) and it just doesn't happen. The only popup is over Forum and it just repeats what forum it is. Would like to know how you are able to do it?

I knew you weren't a newbie :o

All I do is move the cursor over the topic title and a little box pops up like in this example:

(the cursor was over the "Meeting TV Members" link, the box appears below and to the right of the cursor, which didn't get captured along with the rest of the screen for some reason)

post-16137-1148704788_thumb.jpg

I'm using standard I.E. ver 6 something and windoze XP.

I knew you weren't a newbie :D

Oops, just noticed how terse my response was, sorry. :D

All I do is move the cursor over the topic title and a little box pops up like in this example:

(the cursor was over the "Meeting TV Members" link, the box appears below and to the right of the cursor, which didn't get captured along with the rest of the screen for some reason)

post-16137-1148704788_thumb.jpg

I'm using standard I.E. ver 6 something and windoze XP.

Very odd. I tried it under Avant, IE 6.xx, Firefox (also XP) and it just doesn't show up. Would be great if I could figure out how you do that. :o Anyone else see it or don't see it?

Very odd. I tried it under Avant, IE 6.xx, Firefox (also XP) and it just doesn't show up. Would be great if I could figure out how you do that. :o Anyone else see it or don't see it?

I can get it to work from the different forums, but not from the list created when clicking "View new posts".

Sophon

I can get it to work from the different forums, but not from the list created when clicking "View new posts".

Sophon

Well that explains it. Unfortunately I always just use the View New Posts button. :o

Sophon

Well that explains it. Unfortunately I always just use the View New Posts button. :o

This is a bug. I have reported it to the software guys, hopefully they will have it fixed in the next version of the forum software.

Cheers

Back to the issue - I still think when a topic hasn't had an update for, say, 3 months, it might as well be closed. If someone feels the subject needs renewd discussion they could open a new topic. Too much confusion with topics being restarted sometimes after a year with the world having changed in the meantime.

Back to the issue - I still think when a topic hasn't had an update for, say, 3 months, it might as well be closed. If someone feels the subject needs renewd discussion they could open a new topic. Too much confusion with topics being restarted sometimes after a year with the world having changed in the meantime.

I think that would take a major software revision to accomplish. The forum software would have to track every thread, and once a thread hit a pre-determined number of days (with-out any activity), auto-close it.

I think it would be way too time consuming for mods/admin to try and do something like that manually.

While they are modifying the software to do that, maybe they could also set it up so that users who haven't been active for a period of time get put on an inactive list.

I think its fine as it is. I reckon a lot of these old threads are added to and resurfaced by newbies who've just found them through searches on the net.

If they see a topic that they want to offer an opinion on is closed they might not bother signing up and joining the forum to put a reply in, then TV loses potential members.

Its a bit of risk hoping that they will sign up and start a whole new topic as a newbie.

It's not as if it happens too often and when it does I think a mod can have a look at the topic and decide from there whether it should stay open or not, as happens now.

The last thing is TV needs is more threads closed. :o:D

• 1 month later...
Often we see someone replying to an old topic without realizing how old it is. Wouldn't it be an idea to automatically close threads when there has been no replies in, say, a month?

i disagree. Users should just be moer careful. Reason I disagree, is cos every now and then somebody brings back a corker that may be totally relevant or just plain hilarious, that newer users had not found. I´m thinking of the nose boogers health value thread for example.

.... I´m thinking of the nose boogers health value thread for example.

This thread is an example. It sat quietly for 36 days until suddenly becoming active again. :o