Election Commission sets Feb 23 for new round of advance election

webfact

Election Commission sets Feb 23 for new round of advance election
By Digital Content

13910476039538.jpg

BANGKOK, Jan 30 - The Election Commission (EC) has set Feb 23 for the advance election in constituencies where balloting was disrupted last Sunday.

Suthep Promwas, EC deputy secretary general for public participation, said results of the Feb 2 general election will not be officially announced until the Feb 23 advance election is completed.

Voters who failed to cast their ballots on Jan 26 due to disruption by protesters are told to exercise their voting rights on Feb 23.

Mr Suthep said the EC has received over 100,000 ballots from the Jan 26 advance election and 8,611 others from voters in 33 countries. About 10,000 more ballots will be delivered from over 50 countries soon.

Regarding 28 constituencies in eight southern provinces where candidates are non-existent, he said a royal decree for elections in the 28 constituencies must be issued after the Feb 2 general election.

If possible, election in the 28 constituencies will be held simultaneously with the advance election on Feb 23, he said.

He said EC secretary general Puchong Nutrawong will talk with Luang Pu Buddha Issara today to seek his permission to return to the EC office on Chaeng Wattana Road.

Thailand's Government Complex on Chaengwattana Road has been seized by anti-government protesters, led by the Buddhist monk.

In the southern province of Nakhon Si Thammarat, protesters of the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) have sealed off the entrance and exit of the Thung Song postal centre since yesterday and partially blocked the nearby road, disrupting delivery of ballots to polling stations in Trang, Phattalung and Nakhon Si Thammarat.

The postal centre in Chumphon was also occupied yesterday by protesters who vowed to station there until election day.

The postal centre in Chumphon is responsible for delivering ballots to Chumphon, Surat Thani, Ranong, Phang-nga and Phuket. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-01-30

Suthep Promwas, EC deputy secretary general for public participation, said results of the Feb 2 general election will not be officially announced until the Feb 23 advance election is completed.

How about un-officially announced ?

Edited by JesseFrank

A sensible move and hopefully Suthep and his Thaugs will be off the streets by then.

Good luck with that! I am sure Suthep is going to prolong this as long as he can until he gets what he wants or is imprisoned.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thai Spot post # 9

Will Mrs. Crab resign if she polls just 30% of the electorate I wonder.

I think she is morally obliged yo stick to her words

30% of the national income is the commission expected by the Shinwatra clan

I think you'll find that she has a filial obligation to remain in office lest the family income is damaged, thus the family fortune is dented.

• Like 1

And if the Feb. 23 election is disrupted? When will the Feb. 2 election results be announced. This is a recipe for disaster, the EC is usually not so obliging.

As article 108 of the constitution dictates that an election can be only held on one particular day, it seems that the EC - perhaps under legal pressure from the administration - is now accommodating them. Its seems very odd, because on no previous occasion has the EC mentioned this possibility at all in the previous weeks. At the end of the day, this will unquestionably be going to the Constitution Court for a ruling, although in this case the EC itself would likely be in the hot seat. Having said all this, the chaos of the upcoming vote in different regions of the country will make the February 23 idea pale in comparison, as it is inevitable that there will be so many polling infractions that the whole process will be inundated with confusion. The decision not to announce the results on election day is a pretty moot point, as it would in fact be impossible to announce even if it were so desired, because of all the chaos and complications arising from one candidate constituencies, the 20 % requirement, the " no " vote, and most importantly, whether people can vote or not. There will be an avalanche of lawsuits. It was suggested earlier today that it could in fact take months to even tabulate the results of this weekend's vote alone - such are the unprecedented factors and confusions involved. Even so, how does the EC ensure that polling in eight Southern constituencies can take place just three weeks later - including the registration of candidates ? It sounds suspiciously like square one revisited. But the constitutional argument will ultimately settle this - with or without the necessity to parachute candidates onto the roofs of offices.

Edited by Scamper
  • Like 1

The Election Commission is now actively subverting the election - openly, brazenly, shamelessly.

By what authority does the EC withhold the results or the counting and reporting to the people the result of the vote on Sunday, February 2nd?

Where are the ballot boxes going to be stored, in Suthep;s back yard? The back yard of the Election Commissioners? Army bases?

How long and by what constitutional and statutory authority does the country and its people have to wait to find out if a parliament can be organized as a result of the general election? What is the law and constitutional requirement pertaining to the date of the general election and the subsequent date a parliament must be organized?

And we can trust the CC even less than the EC to respect democracy, election processes, procedures, constitutional and statutory election laws and worst of all, respecting and honoring the will of the people.

• Like 1

The Election Commission is now the Anti-Democracy Election Commission For Suthep And Absolute Fascism Under The Rule of the Fascist Council (ADECSAFURFC), or FURC you for short.

hahahahaha a 3rd class post just like your rank...clap2.gif

• Like 2

It seems likely that we will see a replay of the 2006 elections here, with the added complication that an election can only be held on one single day throughout the kingdom.

Unless of course Thaksin & Chalerm have a 'cunning plan' to nobble the vote, which might explain why 200,000 police officers will be present at polling stations around the country, NOT just in Bangkok and in the South where advance voting was previously disrupted.

So look forward to weeks (months?) of petitions to various courts, more chaos and confusion, with an inevitable(?) rejection of the election by the Constitutional Court, which of course will be ignored by Pheu Thai, unless more than 50% of the eligible population make an active vote for the parties standing.

When Pheu Thai chooses to ignore the Constitutional Court, and by consequence the Constitution, the military will have no choice(?) but to, hopefully temporarily, step in and defend the Constitution.

Speculation on my part, but quite likely, considering the past.

• Like 2

In the above picture the ballot box is open on the backside.

Is there a list of how many people actually put their envelope in such a box and how many are still in there by the end of the day? w00t.gif

IN the UK the number of ballot papers of each box is counted and checked with the paper work from that polling station before the returning officer lets the votes be sorted and counted, if their is ballot paper missing it causes a lot of problems or even worse when more than expected are counted.

I remember many years ago a certain party had representatives standing outside every polling station in a Birmingham constituency, they were handing out pieces of paper to none English speaking voters which was a simulation of the official ballot paper with a X in the box against their candidate, unfortunately many of these handouts ended up in the ballot box and many official ballot papers went missing.

The Election Commission is now the Anti-Democracy Election Commission For Suthep And Absolute Fascism Under The Rule of the Fascist Council (ADECSAFURFC), or FURC you for short.

Because they are trying to create the conditions for those previously blocked from voting to do so?

results of the Feb 2 general election will not be officially announced until the Feb 23 advance election is completed.

I do find this incredible,so they will put the country on hold for another month before even announcing results ? blink.png

I have never heard anything like it.... absolutely paralysing, which the EC seems to have been consistently doing throughout.... neutral my ass.

results of the Feb 2 general election will not be officially announced until the Feb 23 advance election is completed.

I do find this incredible,so they will put the country on hold for another month before even announcing results ? blink.png

I have never heard anything like it.... absolutely paralysing, which the EC seems to have been consistently doing throughout.... neutral my ass.

You've never heard anything like it because you've never been anywhere where voting has been blocked by protesters.

Given that people weren't able to vote last week, what would you suggest that the Election Commission do now?

Sent from my phone ...

• Like 1

Its called a contingency plan

If the EC was acting with efficiency knowing the possibility of the blockades they would have had dates set up as a second round for advanced voting before the first took place and within short order, not nearly a month later.

I accept its an unprecedented situation but its not like no one could see it coming. Delayed and drawn out elections could see a lot more people hurt or even killed, this it seems is not a concern.

All sides and all depts so far have proven to be no bastion of either common sense or efficiancy, it pains me to say it but its almost as if all sides prefer chaos to compromise. I don't see any of them actually putting the country first just their own agendas. sadly

The Election Commission is now actively subverting the election - openly, brazenly, shamelessly.

By what authority does the EC withhold the results or the counting and reporting to the people the result of the vote on Sunday, February 2nd?

Where are the ballot boxes going to be stored, in Suthep;s back yard? The back yard of the Election Commissioners? Army bases?

How long and by what constitutional and statutory authority does the country and its people have to wait to find out if a parliament can be organized as a result of the general election? What is the law and constitutional requirement pertaining to the date of the general election and the subsequent date a parliament must be organized?

And we can trust the CC even less than the EC to respect democracy, election processes, procedures, constitutional and statutory election laws and worst of all, respecting and honoring the will of the people.

So you agree the farcical waste of time and money bs sham election on 2nd Feb should be scrapped and start again from scratch then ? Most sensible thought you have ever had ! Hahaha,