THAI to launch in-flight Wi-Fi service next month

webfact

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Most users will be Thai travellers rather than foreigners travellers". Umm...where does this idea come from? Also, when was the last time an international THAI flight or indeed any inbound or outbound international flight to/from Thailand ever had a majority of passengers who were Thai? Thais don't travel and everytime I'm on any international flight on THAI or any other airlines, it doesn't matter whether it's to Phnom Penh, Vientiane, Ho Chi Minh, Kunming, Sydney, Singapore, wherever, the majority of travellers on those flights are either citizens of the other country and/or citizens of third countries.

Also how many Thais could afford, or be willing to pay US$14.50 for such a service. Seriously PBS, you don't know what you're talking about. You should change your name to BS.

To be fair, don't shoot the messenger.

The PBS article was only quoting the TG official about the Thais vs Foreigners.

Very hard to believe it costs 20M baht per plane to install wi-fi hardware.

While I'd love to have on-board wi-fi, my biggest fear is people talking via Skype and the like. If this happens there's bound to be trouble ... even fights. Hell, I might punch someone myself. 555

The 20 million baht must be inclusive some hefty 'service fees'. The only estimate of cost for other airlines I could find was US$200,000 = 7 million baht, for United, of course not including the loss of revenue while it is being installed. http://www.gadling.com/2013/03/18/united-rolls-out-wi-fi-on-overseas-flights/

But to be honest, I enjoy relaxing with a good book.

Seriously why would anyone who has lived with Thai's for a prolonged period want to be flown by one.

Oh dear the hostility...come on fess up, how much did he or she get you for ?

Not at all actually, I have just lived here long enough to know that common sense is a quality that Thai's do not possess. The Thai education system does not allow much independent thought, there is wrong and there is right...this is a dangerous personality to have as a pilot.

Seriously why would anyone who has lived with Thai's for a prolonged period want to be flown by one.

Not at all actually, I have just lived here long enough to know that common sense is a quality that Thai's do not possess. The Thai education system does not allow much independent thought, there is wrong and there is right...this is a dangerous personality to have as a pilot.

I will be sure to pass your remarks onto the Thai pilots, engineers and various other Thai professional people I know then, you really need to get out of your isaan village/farang ghetto or off your bar stool a bit more

• Like 1

Hate the idea - if there's an airline left WITHOUT wi-fi, that's the one for me.

What have you actually experienced that makes you say that?

I've flown United into Thailand dozens of times and the last trip into BKK from Narita two months ago was the very first time they offered wi-fi. I noticed not one thing different than all the previous flights. However, that said, I hope and pray no one starts talking via Skype or some other type service. If that happens, then I'll agree with you.

Few years back I checked how much data was downloaded with a modern news website frontpage. It was at the time 3.5MB.

Local caching does help, but these few megabyte restrictions are not good for browsing. Sending and receiving text it's ok.

I'm likely to be the first person to make an VoIP call from mobile phone in commercial airplane about 8-9 years ago while flying over the Europe. At the time we were still exploring the possibilities of mobile VoIP and Lufthansa had a WiFi on some of their aircrafts. I could hear quite well what the other party at Singapore was talking, but she could not hear a lot. Too much background noise and jitter from the connection. It was still fun to test.

While I'd love to have on-board wi-fi, my biggest fear is people talking via Skype and the like. If this happens there's bound to be trouble ... even fights. Hell, I might punch someone myself. 555

"I'm on the plane" "What?" I AM ON THE PLANE" "WHAT??"

• Like 1

I will be sure to pass your remarks onto the Thai pilots, engineers and various other Thai professional people I know then, you really need to get out of your isaan village/farang ghetto or off your bar stool a bit more

???? I live in Bangkok and so what If I lived in Issan ??? what are you exactly trying to say about Issan and why would me living there have anything to do with who I was ? Are you saying that me living in Issan would automatically make me more stupid and deranged than if I lived in Bangkok ? What does that say about YOUR thoughts on the people of Issan ? Oh sorry you must be really rich, live in Chidlom, have loads of hi-so Thai friends and a Chinese white wife.

Soutpeel = thinks Issan is a dump and all who infest it are stupid. Thats basically what you really just said to everyone without you knowing it and at the same time of trying to lecture me about the exact same thing. Thats how dumb you are.

I stick to my guns that I would not want to fly THAI airways because I think a neccessary skill, nay an essential skill, of a pilot is to be able to think outside the box !

Over to you, oh and please wish your wife Happy New Year !

Edited by onewhowalkswithbuffalo

Its going to end in a crash for sure. They have gone against the market trend. They are jumping the gun here. I would not fly with 300/400 devices cluttering the avionics ( I am an Avionics Engineer) Have a nice day thai

Well thanx for the Heads up 'avionics Eng. ' .. so Thai Air are happy to ditch all their planes on the ground and face countless and crippling litigation because they can not afford or too stupid to engage an Avionics Eng.to investigate the feasibility of having WiFi on their planes...... of course filters to sensitive instruments and /or Wifi using different wave havent been discussed or invented.... oh yess.. hundred of planes are crashing daily because somebody on board has googled "Avionics Engineer define " on their tablet....... ... yawns.....

ended up on a THAI flight share from KL - BKK (normally would never have chosen THAI) it would have been nice to have had a seat that reclined, never mind wifi.

bizarrely there was an announcement at the start of the flight that passengers must not lie on the floor. never heard that on another airline or ever seen anyone lying on the floor. strange.

Perhaps Moslems prostrate themselves on the floor to pray at certain times of the day. If so, this could be a real nuisance when you want to go to the toilet or the cabin crew want to serve something.

Why is it so expensive to instal? The electronics needs to be a bit special after all when you're flying across the Indian ocean at 30,000 ft, you're nearest base station is quite likely beyond range of your laptop/smartphone. Also some electronic systems on the aircraft may need to be filtered to reduce any interference from passengers wi-fi exploits.

I do agree with your comments re unwanted, loud conversations by the person next to you. Better to have a telephone kiosk just outside the rear doors.

• Like 1

???? I live in Bangkok and so what If I lived in Issan ??? what are you exactly trying to say about Issan and why would me living there have anything to do with who I was ? Are you saying that me living in Issan would automatically make me more stupid and deranged than if I lived in Bangkok ? What does that say about YOUR thoughts on the people of Issan ? Oh sorry you must be really rich, live in Chidlom, have loads of hi-so Thai friends and a Chinese white wife.

Soutpeel = thinks Issan is a dump and all who infest it are stupid. Thats basically what you really just said to everyone without you knowing it and at the same time of trying to lecture me about the exact same thing. Thats how dumb you are.

I stick to my guns that I would not want to fly THAI airways because I think a neccessary skill, nay an essential skill, of a pilot is to be able to think outside the box !

My apologies then....spend bit less time in Nana or cowboy then

As to your diatribe about isaan

I think nothing of the sort, demographically there was a good chance you lived in isaan that's all, my remarks where not a reflection on isaan people anyway, cos farangs living in isaan ain't isaan people anyway but nice try all the same, trying

Actually I do have quite a few thai friends who I wouldn't consider Hi So per se, but are professionals in various disciplines and one of them is Pilot and he has trained all over the world and is ex Thai air force and a more disciplined and dedicated guy to his profession you will never meet, so your remarks are quite offensive

Think the only person appearing dumb at the moment is yourself

Do you realise how offensive and bigoted your remarks are?

It would seem clear to me that the reason you don't know any of the many professional, skilled and capable people in this country is because those people aren't interested in you.

It's all very well shouting your mouth off Thai -but you haven't addressed the more important issues.

Being competitive - take a look at your opposition.

Providing up to date fleet with comfort for all.

Food -again look at what your opposition is providing.

Service on board, REGULAR drinks provided, not wait for a button to be pressed.

UK airports, Thai only go to London HR and have done for the 33 years I know of, why not Manchester, you surely have had time to co-share OR secure a spot.

Emirates --Gatwick-Birmingham-Manchester-Newcastle-Glasgow and more. Please do not tell us that you do not have enough customers for the routes---Emirates/Etihad were not flying all those years ago but found a slot there.

EVA-to UK far better cheaper, times of departure and arrival similar. EVA staff super.

As to Wi Fi, Thai you are near bankrupt use what money you have on the things I mentioned, leave this a while please. BUT you will not Like TAT you have to splash out on un necessary things first----My god.

Edited by ginjag

Its going to end in a crash for sure. They have gone against the market trend. They are jumping the gun here. I would not fly with 300/400 devices cluttering the avionics ( I am an Avionics Engineer) Have a nice day thai

Singapore Airlines have had this for a while, yet have never actually noticed anyone using it. In my opinion it's a step backwards , there are enough nerds roaming the streets being led by their electronic white blind stick. Don't need it up there.

Someone blindly texting on the street ... one of my pet peeves ... is very different than someone surfing internet at their plane seat. Why would that bother you?

Quite simply, as others have pointed out, will it just be surfing the net, or will other functions such as skype chatting, QQ, be used, this will surely encroach on those sitting near the user and will in my opinion cause friction. The same as sitting in a bus with your thirty nearest passengers all screaming into a cellphone , a pain in the rear on the ground, but magnified when you are imprisoned in a aircraft

It would seem clear to me that the reason you don't know any of the many professional, skilled and capable people in this country is because those people aren't interested in you.

One wonders with this poster, if the sh@t hit fan here and people were looking for flights out post haste, he would stick by his convictions by not flying TG cos there is a thai driving driving the bus ?

• Like 2

I can just imagine all the skype calls, "Guess where I am". At least double the annoyance as everyone around you, scrolling on their phones, hoping others will notice their new phone!

This is why I think WiFi on a plane is very a bad idea, imagine sitting next to a tw+t doing that for 10 hours

Its bad enough now just prior to take off or on landing , with people calling someone to tell them they getting ready to take off or have just landed, what's wrong with you people can't you wait a few minutes till you get off the plane or do it just before you get on

My apologies then....spend bit less time in Nana or cowboy then

As to your diatribe about isaan

I think nothing of the sort, demographically there was a good chance you lived in isaan that's all, my remarks where not a reflection on isaan people anyway, cos farangs living in isaan ain't isaan people anyway but nice try all the same, trying

Actually I do have quite a few thai friends who I wouldn't consider Hi So per se, but are professionals in various disciplines and one of them is Pilot and he has trained all over the world and is ex Thai air force and a more disciplined and dedicated guy to his profession you will never meet, so your remarks are quite offensive

Think the only person appearing dumb at the moment is yourself

I mean seriously now your mentioning cowboy and nana just because I have an opinion ? You were most definitely making a connection between my alleged stupidity and me possibly living in Isan. You singled out the area of Thailand that is most poor and you put me right in there with them. Shame shame, at least I have the balls to stand behind my opinions, your probably a liberal .

I really don't think criticizing a countries education system in that it does not breed independent thought or outside of the box thinking can be construed in any way, shape, or form, as offensive or bigoted. I am not going to lower myself to i know him and I know that, I am quite happy to be the old fat retard falling of a bar stool in nana with a happy hour draught in my hand...if that's what you want to think, knock yourselves out, I hope it makes you feel more hi-so.

Oh would you ever have considered that I am not in the slightest bit interested in knowing them. I mean seriously does knowing professionals make you any better a person ?

Edited by onewhowalkswithbuffalo