THAI to launch in-flight Wi-Fi service next month

webfact

THAI to launch in-flight Wi-Fi service next month

194607-imagepng-288930-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Thai Airways International (THAI) says it will launch in-flight Wi-Fi services on 13 Airbus planes by mid next month.

Mr Rangsiman Mokkhasmit, THAI vice president for E-Customer Relations Department, said THAI was granted license from the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) to operate in-flight Wi-Fi service on its fleet of more than 100 planes.

So far, he said, THAI has invested more than 320 million baht to install hardware and software to provide in-flight service on more than 13 planes, most of which are Airbus.

At present THAI has installed hardware on 7 Airbus A330-300, with a cost of 20 million baht on each plane, and on 6 Airbus A380-800, with a total cost of 30 million baht each, he said.

All these Airbus planes will be able to provide in-flight Wi-Fi service in the middle of February, he said.

He said that the in-flight Wi-Fi service will focus on international flights because domestic flights are short and might not be popular as on international flights.

However he said that although the in-flight service will be focused on international flight, but most users will be Thai travelers rather than foreign travelers.

He said that the charge for the in-flight service for smartphone will start from 3 MB and 10 MB at 4 and 14.50 US dollars respectively, while tablet and notebook at 14.50 dollars for 10 MB. Maximum usage will be 10 MB, he said.

THAI has more than 100 planes in service on both domestic and international flights and it plans to launch Wi-Fi service on all routes which will take time and high investment cost.

It is now in talks with service operators for joint operation of the inflight service, he said.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/thai-launch-flight-wi-fi-service-next-month/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-01-30

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ended up on a THAI flight share from KL - BKK (normally would never have chosen THAI) it would have been nice to have had a seat that reclined, never mind wifi.

bizarrely there was an announcement at the start of the flight that passengers must not lie on the floor. never heard that on another airline or ever seen anyone lying on the floor. strange.

• Like 2

"Most users will be Thai travellers rather than foreigners travellers". Umm...where does this idea come from? Also, when was the last time an international THAI flight or indeed any inbound or outbound international flight to/from Thailand ever had a majority of passengers who were Thai? Thais don't travel and everytime I'm on any international flight on THAI or any other airlines, it doesn't matter whether it's to Phnom Penh, Vientiane, Ho Chi Minh, Kunming, Sydney, Singapore, wherever, the majority of travellers on those flights are either citizens of the other country and/or citizens of third countries.

Also how many Thais could afford, or be willing to pay US$14.50 for such a service. Seriously PBS, you don't know what you're talking about. You should change your name to BS.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

Love the pay for it bit, typical attitude from a sub standard, over priced, out of date airline............this wont save them going bust giggle.gif

You are not using wifi on any airline now are you? Because if you were, you'd have recognized that TG is actually being reasonable compared to many other *A carriers. $4. for 3 MB is hardly expensive, nor is $14.50 for 10MB. Did you know that many carriers only offer wifi on domestic routes?

I bet you will now start bleating as to how much better the Gulf state carriers are. Are you even aware that many international carriers don't even offer the service and that the service is only available on certain models?

Emirates:

OnAir provides in-flight Wi-Fi service to Emirates' . $2.75 for 5MB to $15 for 30MB. Laptop packages on A380 flights begin at $5 for 30MB and $15 for 100MB.

Lufthansa:

FlyNet onboard Wi-Fi service is billed by Deutsche Telecom. Two pricing options are available to passengers with smartphones and WLAN-enabled laptops: HotSpot Pass Sky 1, €10.95 ($14.20) and HotSpot Pass Sky 24 hours, €19.95 ($25.85)

Qantas:

Oooops Qantas dropped the service didn't it? Before it did, it had the following cost ranged from a minimum $12.90 10MB o $39.90 for 35MB.

Qatar Airways:

Wi-Fi is available for mobile devices through OnAir and is only on some Qatar aircraft. Customers are charged international mobile phone roaming rates while using Mobile OnAir service. (Want to hazard a guess at how high those costs are?)

Etihad:

2014 is the year it will be introduced. Laptop connection costs $20 and PDA connection will be $10.

Jal:

Only on a handful of routes.

Two pricing plans are offered: one hour for $11.95 and 24 hours for $21.95.

Singapore:

$10 10MB and $25 - 30MB

Ok, so tell me again why TG is being unreasonable? You don't have to take TG. Air Asia, Jet Star, Thompson Holidays and Norwegian are all available to meet your purchasing parameters. Norwegian even gives "free" wifi. You just have to sit in a seat with about 4" less pitch than TG, and forgo the generous TG F&B, but it will be sort of cheap.

• Like 2

Its going to end in a crash for sure. They have gone against the market trend. They are jumping the gun here. I would not fly with 300/400 devices cluttering the avionics ( I am an Avionics Engineer) Have a nice day thai

Singapore Airlines have had this for a while, yet have never actually noticed anyone using it. In my opinion it's a step backwards , there are enough nerds roaming the streets being led by their electronic white blind stick. Don't need it up there.

Very hard to believe it costs 20M baht per plane to install wi-fi hardware.

While I'd love to have on-board wi-fi, my biggest fear is people talking via Skype and the like. If this happens there's bound to be trouble ... even fights. Hell, I might punch someone myself. 555

• Like 1

Its going to end in a crash for sure. They have gone against the market trend. They are jumping the gun here. I would not fly with 300/400 devices cluttering the avionics ( I am an Avionics Engineer) Have a nice day thai

Singapore Airlines have had this for a while, yet have never actually noticed anyone using it. In my opinion it's a step backwards , there are enough nerds roaming the streets being led by their electronic white blind stick. Don't need it up there.

Someone blindly texting on the street ... one of my pet peeves ... is very different than someone surfing internet at their plane seat. Why would that bother you?

Since there are now daily flights by hundreds of passenger planes that offer wi-fi, how many flight problems or plane crashes have been caused by wi-fi?

Interesting that you know there's going to be a "crash for sure" ... but the airlines don't. "For sure" if they did know what you know, they'd never risk near-billion-dollar airplanes and the lives of thousands of people on a daily basis.

Edited by HerbalEd
  • Like 1

ended up on a THAI flight share from KL - BKK (normally would never have chosen THAI) it would have been nice to have had a seat that reclined, never mind wifi.

bizarrely there was an announcement at the start of the flight that passengers must not lie on the floor. never heard that on another airline or ever seen anyone lying on the floor. strange.

I used to do ong hauls in old days between Hong Kong and Africa and best seats where the 4 middle seats up against the galley or the toilets, as there was a gap between the seats and the bulk head and used to always sleep on floor behind those seats provided some one else didn't have the same idea, grab your pillow, blanket and used to sleep well LOL

• Like 1

Love the pay for it bit, typical attitude from a sub standard, over priced, out of date airline............this wont save them going bust giggle.gif

You are not using wifi on any airline now are you? Because if you were, you'd have recognized that TG is actually being reasonable compared to many other *A carriers. $4. for 3 MB is hardly expensive, nor is $14.50 for 10MB. Did you know that many carriers only offer wifi on domestic routes?

I bet you will now start bleating as to how much better the Gulf state carriers are. Are you even aware that many international carriers don't even offer the service and that the service is only available on certain models?

Emirates:

OnAir provides in-flight Wi-Fi service to Emirates' . $2.75 for 5MB to $15 for 30MB. Laptop packages on A380 flights begin at $5 for 30MB and $15 for 100MB.

Lufthansa:

FlyNet onboard Wi-Fi service is billed by Deutsche Telecom. Two pricing options are available to passengers with smartphones and WLAN-enabled laptops: HotSpot Pass Sky 1, €10.95 ($14.20) and HotSpot Pass Sky 24 hours, €19.95 ($25.85)

Qantas:

Oooops Qantas dropped the service didn't it? Before it did, it had the following cost ranged from a minimum $12.90 10MB o $39.90 for 35MB.

Qatar Airways:

Wi-Fi is available for mobile devices through OnAir and is only on some Qatar aircraft. Customers are charged international mobile phone roaming rates while using Mobile OnAir service. (Want to hazard a guess at how high those costs are?)

Etihad:

2014 is the year it will be introduced. Laptop connection costs $20 and PDA connection will be $10.

Jal:

Only on a handful of routes.

Two pricing plans are offered: one hour for $11.95 and 24 hours for $21.95.

Singapore:

$10 10MB and $25 - 30MB

Ok, so tell me again why TG is being unreasonable? You don't have to take TG. Air Asia, Jet Star, Thompson Holidays and Norwegian are all available to meet your purchasing parameters. Norwegian even gives "free" wifi. You just have to sit in a seat with about 4" less pitch than TG, and forgo the generous TG F&B, but it will be sort of cheap.

Ger if you like flying a sub standard, over priced, out of date airline and on top wish to pay for wi~fi crack on. Me i won't fly Thai Airways for the afore mentioned reasons.. like i say i dont think itll make a difference to where they are headed anyway ;)

• Like 1