German couple rescued after hours in dark Phuket forest

webfact

German couple rescued after hours in dark Phuket forest
Eakkapop Thongtub

1391054108_1.jpg
The exhausted couple take a break after making it to safety.

PHUKET: -- Police spent five hours last night (January 29) rescuing a German couple who phoned at about 7 pm to say that they were lost in forest near Tonsai Waterfall in Thalang.

Jorger Strempel, 52, called the Tourist Police hotline on 1155 to report that he and his partner, 50-year-old Kathrin Ludecke, were lost and that it was getting dark.

He added that his partner had hurt her leg and could not walk.

He reported that they were at a bamboo grove near what he described as “Point 11”.

Just after midnight the couple were located and led out of the woods. Ms Ludecke was taken to Phuket International Hospital for her leg to be treated.

Though worn out by their ordeal, both were full of praise and gratitude for their rescuers.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/german-couple-rescued-after-hours-in-dark-phuket-forest-44311.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-01-30

• Like 1

Well, he had his Robinson and she had her Friday... biggrin.png

I have found some Thais getting totally lost knowing where they are and a map given to them. After that all bets are off...once I was traveling with a lady in her car and I was trying to give advice which ramp to go (this was in Bangkok) but she refused to listen to me since I am Farang and can't understand...then she asked a taxi driver to drive in front of us to the hotel where we were going and surprise it was where I told it to be (driven in BKK quite often and normally found my way).

How this applies to this case? Well, I suppose there might have been few signs there and here showing wrong direction and after that no signs and no path to follow and just simply lost in the forest (I believe it not to be a huge jungle).

Inefficiency and no proper marking of routes does not surprise me. This couple was probably more used to German use of logic and leisurely walks in something that I would not call wilderness. rolleyes.gif

What is it with the Germans getting lost in the jungle!? Wasn't it is a German woman who got lost in the jungle on Koh Samui last year too?

vhat iss it vith peopel who ask [not so] intellichent kvestions about us Tchermanns? huh.png

Ai sink sei doun no wat sei wan do sai. So sei sai somsing stoopith.Wai cand sei eaitt mashroooms an haav fann se Tchermanns?

Please tell me that they're not on drugs.

When I look at the photo of the German woman,not really a woman to take on a trekking tour. Need a big beer now..-w00t.gif

Edited by sirchai

Phuket has a jungle/forest! The Amazon has jungle not Phuket. Thailand used to have jungle and then forest but certain politicians cut it all down and sold the teak and other valuable timber. Now the jungle and forests are so small most people would not get lost in them.

great come back! yawn....

Alas, they never found that house made of cake, gingerbread and biscuits.

I sure hope they didn't frighten any of the Wild Animals in the park.

If I were a wild animal and saw them stumbling around my back yard in the night, I think I'd run a mile!

Well I have been lost in the bush in New Zealand and it is quite bewildering.

and I once walked in the fog in a massive circle, for two hours.

The normal practice for us when lost is to walk downhill, and flow the streams.

But you must know directions, and I now carry a compass.

What is it with the Germans getting lost in the jungle!? Wasn't it is a German woman who got lost in the jungle on Koh Samui last year too?

vhat iss it vith peopel who ask [not so] intellichent kvestions about us Tchermanns? huh.png

Please try google translate

Well I have been lost in the bush in New Zealand and it is quite bewildering.

and I once walked in the fog in a massive circle, for two hours.

The normal practice for us when lost is to walk downhill, and flow the streams.

But you must know directions, and I now carry a compass.

big different on phuket in thailand and new zealand

What I find odd is....since PKT is an island...hence fairly "circular"

and surrounded by water on all sides....and not that large...how does

one actually get lost...even at night? Oh well...I was a Boy Scout

once and know how to at least find North even at night...but when

I was a Scout we didn't know what magic mushrooms were....

What I find odd is....since PKT is an island...hence fairly "circular"

and surrounded by water on all sides....and not that large...how does

one actually get lost...even at night? Oh well...I was a Boy Scout

once and know how to at least find North even at night...but when

I was a Scout we didn't know what magic mushrooms were....

I take it you have never had to make your way through tropical rainforest on hilly terrain in the dark in utterly unsuitable clothing. Provided you can maintain a straight course you might be able to progress between 1 and 2 km per hour if you are lucky. The diameter of Phuket is about 11 km from East to West.

• Like 1