Easy Question

I have been coming to Thailand for 26 years and have been a member of this forum since 2005 but this is the first time I have needed to ask a visa question because I usually have all that worked out before I come. This time however, in order to get a very good airfare, and because I wanted to leave right away, I simply came and received a 30 day visa exemption stamp.

1.) I am an American 58 years old.
2.) My visa exemption will expire at the end of next week.
3.) Can I simply fly to Yangon (or anywhere else outside Thailand) stay one night, fly back and get another 30 day exemption stamp?
4.) I have no interest in a 10 day extension, especially with the trouble around Cheang Wattana.

Sorry to trouble you guys with a question whose answer I should know but as stated earlier I usually have more time and get a regular tourist visa before I come but that was not possible this time due to time restraints.

Any recommmendations on which city to fly to? I mentioned Yangon because it is the closest and cheapest (cheapest I think), but I will consider anywhere that others can recommend as being quick and cheap too. All I plan on doing is flying in, staying overnight in a hotel and flying back the next day. I'm not looking to make a holiday out of this.

Thanks in advance.

Groongthep

Since you are from the US you can now do a border run and get a new 30 day entry. Just leave and return within minutes if you want.

If you fly out and back on the same day you will get a 30 entry also.

The problem with flying to Yangon is that you have to get a visa in advance.

You can fly to KL Malaysia on Air Asia or any low cost carrier. There is no visa fee for there.

One of the simplest way to get a new 30 day visa exemption is to fly to KL, go through immigration/customs and walk to the other side of the terminal and check in to a flight back to DM. No visa fees, many flight options and quick.

Edited by asiaexpat

Word of caution - border officials do question people who appear to be living here on a succession of tourist visas, so depending how long you intend to stay this might not be a viable option. I got questioned about it on my 3rd successive border hop. You can get a longer tourist visa at Vientiane in Laos, and presumably anywhere else with a Thai consulate. I think it was 60 days, extendable for another 30 when I last did it, but they change it often.

Word of caution - border officials do question people who appear to be living here on a succession of tourist visas, so depending how long you intend to stay this might not be a viable option. I got questioned about it on my 3rd successive border hop. You can get a longer tourist visa at Vientiane in Laos, and presumably anywhere else with a Thai consulate. I think it was 60 days, extendable for another 30 when I last did it, but they change it often.

You don't get a tourist visa on a border hop. It is a visa exempt entry. And yes immigration will question you when you have several back to back. Some border crossing are putting a limit on how many you can do.

I don't recall any problems for people with real tourist visas being question at a border crossing.

It is possible to get a 2 entry tourist visa in Laos.

You don't get a tourist visa on a border hop. It is a visa exempt entry. And yes immigration will question you when you have several back to back. Some border crossing are putting a limit on how many you can do.

I don't recall any problems for people with real tourist visas being question at a border crossing.

Because your American you are able to get a 30 day visa exempt entry. Do a boarder run into Laos. Just simply cross the boarder by land an enter back on the Thai side ( new rules since I think November is you can do a land crossing and get a Visa exempts entry of 30 days ) .Before you could only get 15 days on a land as opposed to a flight into Laos and get a 30 day.You don't need a visa and you have several locations in Laos to obtain the visa exempt entry. One of which is flying into Udon then taking a van to Nong Kai and cross there or fly into Nakon Phonom and take the bus to friendship bridge to Tha Khet crossing which is very close . Also the Savannakhet from Mukdahan. IMOP.

Edited by riclag
  • Like 1

Thanks for the word of warning but as I have previously stated this is the first time in 26 years that I have needed to do a border run/flight. I have always got 60 day tourist visas before I left the US, until now. I couldn't get one this time due to time constraints. I do not live in Thailand full time.

I am a Merchant Seaman who (usually) works 60 days at sea and then have at least 60 days off, sometimes longer depending on the ship's run. I nearly always come to Thailand for at least a portion of my time off with a proper 60 day tourist visa in my passport. I once obtained a 15 day extension on one of the 3 entries though.

Because your American you are able to get a 30 day visa exempt entry. Do a boarder run into Laos. Just simply cross the boarder by land an enter back on the Thai side ( new rules since I think November is you can do a land crossing and get a Visa exempts entry of 30 days ) .Before you could only get 15 days on a land as opposed to a flight into Laos and get a 30 day.You don't need a visa and you have several locations in Laos to obtain the visa exempt entry. One of which is flying into Udon then taking a van to Nong Kai and cross there or fly into Nakon Phonom and take the bus to friendship bridge to Tha Khet crossing which is very close . Also the Savannakhet from Mukdahan. IMOP.

Thanks for the suggestion but I have already booked my travel. My flight to KL is 2 hours and 5 minutes. I have a 2 hour layover then fly right back to Don Muang which takes another two hours and a few minutes. Total cost of airfare (already paid) about $130.00 USD. Sure beats flying to Udorn or even worse taking a bus. Flying to KL is not too expensive and a whole lot more convenient. I really do appreciate your help though. Thanks.

Best Regards,

Groongthep