Long legal battle to follow February 2 poll, with damaging effect: Thai report

webfact

Has to be a battle. It is a Judicial Coup they are now using as back up as the Army coup failed because Suthep failed to get his violence and the shut down Bangkok is just antagonising the locals these days. Suthep knows the march of the idiots is not working and they'll be run off the streets by angry locals.. Don't even need the reds to do it anymore as so many here are tiring of them.

You can't be quite democratic, nearly democratic or a good dictator ship.

you either are a democracy or you are not. 400 good men my ass. we are talking agout 400 Suthep Poodles ruling for as long as it takes to re-rill the coffers after this coup and until they can design an election system that excludes anybody that does not vote for them

All the agencies yesterday calling for a forum, left out all the poor and PT. 70 Independent agencys and not a poor person in sight.

The country has to become inclusive of the North or it will split.

Cloud cuckoo land ! You say the opposite to everything that is true, so that makes it lies. You only have your personal bias and no facts whatsoever and you continually spread the same lies on every damn topic in the hope someone may believe you, but since 99% of us aren't allowed to have any say anyway, what do you hope to accomplish through your lies ?.

The little village shop/house is the first to close up. as Lao Kao and cigarettes -Acha-Chang-Leo-sales slump. In small villages there can be up to 2 in every street.

The village M/Cycle repair man-hand pump gasoline bye bye.

The monk at 6am will not be receiving his normal sticky rice.

The village head man will be out of favour, as the money he gets from his red shirt village will have dried up.

MORE YOUNG CHILDREN from villages will be pressured into getting MONEY from the illegal trade ( Pattaya )to help MAMA,

Just a few of the many side effects of the hardship.

You by your comments must not live in a Thai village, as Lao Kao is homemade, those that smoke roll their own, we grow our own rice and most of our fruits and vegetables, have our own chicken and eggs, raise our own meat, the numerous village monks will be getting their daily rice.

My neighbor the village head man is also a family member, more popular than ever and the whole village are related in the main dozen or so families that make up the village.

The needs for all services in the village, will continue, life in the big cities on the other hand well be greatly affected!

Cheers

Lived in very small villages for most of my 33 years here, cut rice and sugar cane to help the poor, so do not give me the B/S -you thinking you are the only farrang around rural ares.

White whisky--local is not the most consumed--Nong Khai local whisky is the one-(killer ) favourite, at 90 baht per bottle.

I sold tobacco in my village shop, 5 baht pkt, but sold Krung Thip -Falling Rain better seller.

The poor little village member has a very old worm riddled home, on stilts with the odd buffalo a few chickens running free style on a land plot about 30 x 30 meters. maybe 3 dogs walking around near the home scratching for tip bits.

You grow your own rice--veg--fruit--chicken/eggs AND raise your own meat ?? you are not the norm in a village---you are wealthy.

Most small villagers grow rice for their need with a little more to sell for pocket money. for extras they get extra money by helping the bigger farmer to harvest His rice-cane.

Your village sounds more prosperous than most.

Try your down trodden Udon village-who are scraping the barrel waiting for government payment.

You see it isn't all rosy in the garden, so go to other areas than your own and you can see vast differences.

I suppose his village must have benefitted from taking the tax payers money that PT doled out to some of its more dedicated followers so hence his bias as he doesn't want his master to stop feeding him, regardless of the damage the scam has done to the country and economy as a whole. This kind of thinkjing is a large part of the problem here...

• Like 2

The little village shop/house is the first to close up. as Lao Kao and cigarettes -Acha-Chang-Leo-sales slump. In small villages there can be up to 2 in every street.

The village head man will be out of favour, as the money he gets from his red shirt village will have dried up.

MORE YOUNG CHILDREN from villages will be pressured into getting MONEY from the illegal trade ( Pattaya )to help MAMA,

You by your comments must not live in a Thai village, as Lao Kao is homemade, those that smoke roll their own, we grow our own rice and most of our fruits and vegetables, have our own chicken and eggs, raise our own meat, the numerous village monks will be getting their daily rice.

My neighbor the village head man is also a family member, more popular than ever and the whole village are related in the main dozen or so families that make up the village.

The needs for all services in the village, will continue, life in the big cities on the other hand well be greatly affected!

Cheers

That is probably the only comment you have made that I agree with you on.

Did you not look at my ( #22 ) reply ??? or do you take the above post as the norm ??

No, I understand what you said in 22, Just don't agree with what you said about shops closing etc. I live up country in the middle of nowhere, very small village we only have one growing season, so it's not as if the village is a rich one. But the people still get on with their lives, the shops 2 in total have not closed, they still drink lao kao and smoke when they want. And the Monks gets his daily alms.

And I don't see any of the young being pressured to work in the sex trade to help mama!

I do find i agree with most things you say, Just not this time, sorry wai2.gif

This election is going to be a TOTAL waste of more tax payers

money,if its held,it will soon follow that the courts will find fault

with it and will be null and void.

The amount of money Thailand wastes on all the corrupt projects,

stupid ideas,all kinds of subsidizes,is frankly mind boggling,when

it could have been put to good use building schools,hospitals(without)

corruption.

regards Worgeordie

AND in addition to that, this election is just gonna be a TOTAL waste of people lives, including the innocent bystanders as well, as they risk themselves to be in the line of fire...

Since this will be decided in the Constitutional Court, it will go the way of PDRC, since the Constitutional Court judges are key backers of that political entity.

Just a question Briggsy, where did you get this information or is it just a guess..? Do you have a link..? They sat talk is cheap...

Has to be a battle. It is a Judicial Coup they are now using as back up as the Army coup failed because Suthep failed to get his violence and the shut down Bangkok is just antagonising the locals these days. Suthep knows the march of the idiots is not working and they'll be run off the streets by angry locals.. Don't even need the reds to do it anymore as so many here are tiring of them.

You can't be quite democratic, nearly democratic or a good dictator ship.

you either are a democracy or you are not. 400 good men my ass. we are talking agout 400 Suthep Poodles ruling for as long as it takes to re-rill the coffers after this coup and until they can design an election system that excludes anybody that does not vote for them

All the agencies yesterday calling for a forum, left out all the poor and PT. 70 Independent agencys and not a poor person in sight.

The country has to become inclusive of the North or it will split.

why not split into 2 parts? It would be peace everywhere. Side effect: The troubles at the southern border would be with Suthep. Good luck

The upshot is we will get a Thaksin appointed cabinet of 30 odd people,

taking direct instructions from Thaksin via Skype,

and no one else running the country for the foreseeable future.

The courts and NAAC will still do their jobs, but major decisions can not be made,

financing not applied if not already budgeted to ministries, while the supply lasts.

Yet it is obvious the extended-time, appointed, caretaker cabinet will try to move

things to their benefit the whole time. Can we expect a martial law decree during

the expected violence. That was an attempted Thaksin move in 2006.

Why is this any better than a peoples council of 600?

If after it expires why is it any more legal?

Why is this not the same as a Defacto Dictatorship?

30 clan members handpicked by the criminal in Dubai all voting in lockstep to the liege lord.

VS. a larger picked 600 that must make majority decisions?

Either way it is not a properly elected bunch, sorry the caretaker cabinet is not elected

by any existing parliament, and their term will expire, just as Thaksins did

when he botched the elections in 2006.

Democracy is a good thing, a great idea, but it has to be in a frame work that lets it thrive.

Thailand does NOT have that frame work.

Edited by animatic

Did you not look at my ( #22 ) reply ??? or do you take the above post as the norm ??

No, I understand what you said in 22, Just don't agree with what you said about shops closing etc. I live up country in the middle of nowhere, very small village we only have one growing season, so it's not as if the village is a rich one. But the people still get on with their lives, the shops 2 in total have not closed, they still drink lao kao and smoke when they want. And the Monks gets his daily alms.

And I don't see any of the young being pressured to work in the sex trade to help mama!

Hey thanks for your reply, good.

I was meaning to emphasize the fact that the points I made would be happening when real hardship happens.

I was not really saying that it is happening blanket across the land as now, but some of my points are beginning to creep in slowly.

Areas where the farmers were ---(LUCKY) paid they are doing alright, but the areas not usually controlled by red villages did not receive payments---I wonder why.??? cheers ginjag.

• Like 1

I was meaning to emphasize the fact that the points I made would be happening when real hardship happens.

I was not really saying that it is happening blanket across the land as now, but some of my points are beginning to creep in slowly.

Areas where the farmers were ---(LUCKY) paid they are doing alright, but the areas not usually controlled by red villages did not receive payments---I wonder why.??? cheers ginjag.

While the village I live in may have been red at some stage the general feeling around the village now is anti Thaksin, many are thinking not to vote or vote no. Not because they pledged their rice (they didn't) the rice they grow is for themselves. But they now understand the corruption and graft involved. They are not happy!

Can't even say they agree with Suthep's approach, But he has shown the country just how corrupt things are now.

• Like 1

The courts and NAAC will still do their jobs, but major decisions can not be made,

financing not applied if not already budgeted to ministries, while the supply lasts.

Yet it is obvious the extended-time, appointed, caretaker cabinet will try to move

things to their benefit the whole time. Can we expect a martial law decree during

30 clan members handpicked by the criminal in Dubai all voting in lockstep to the liege lord.

Either way it is not a properly elected bunch, sorry the caretaker cabinet is not elected

Democracy is a good thing, a great idea, but it has to be in a frame work that lets it thrive.

So wrong it's hard to know where to start. For one thing, the PTP is only going to landslide the election because the so-called Democrat party won't be taking part. If they had spent the last two and a half years building an electoral base in Isaan instead of sulking in Bangkok and whining to their friends the judges, they might have had a shot at winning the election.

There should be a rule against blathering about a "Peoples Council" when the actual people, you know, the ones who vote, will not have the slightest say in deciding who would be on it.

Then there's the question of how another bout of autocracy would make any more difference than the coups of 2010, 2006 and all the others before that.

And worst of all, the 49 million registered voters would then have no say whatsoever, short of taking to the streets, on when the next election would be held. The longer the junta stayed in power the less likely they would be to win the subsequent election, so it would only be conceded when forced out of them by mass street violence.

• Like 1

While the village I live in may have been red at some stage the general feeling around the village now is anti Thaksin, many are thinking not to vote or vote no. Not because they pledged their rice (they didn't) the rice they grow is for themselves. But they now understand the corruption and graft involved. They are not happy!

Can't even say they agree with Suthep's approach, But he has shown the country just how corrupt things are now.

I think you underestimate farmers.

I notice the line Suthep's lot are pushing, to paraphrase: The rice cost X, its worth 200 Baht billion less now, who stole the 200 billion Baht. To imply corruption.

And the NACC's line to paraphrase, "We cannot prove these companies had Chinese government permission, hence lack of proof is proof of corruption hence Yingluk should be prosecuted for this corruption allegation that we haven't made."

Oh dear so much politics.

But these farmers are also business men, and they know how the valuation of their land varies, they are not idiots, as the PDRC might believe.

You can see this in the poor turnout at the PDRC organized protests for farmers:

30225365-01_big.jpg

Not a lot of people there. This has been typical of PDRC's attempts at raising a fake mob of farmers.

This video sums it up for me, it's the best one of the one's I've seen on Pantip.

I don't think you need to speak Thai to understand what he's saying.

Edited by BlueNoseCodger

I notice the line Suthep's lot are pushing, to paraphrase: The rice cost X, its worth 200 Baht billion less now, who stole the 200 billion Baht. To imply corruption.

And the NACC's line to paraphrase, "We cannot prove these companies had Chinese government permission, hence lack of proof is proof of corruption hence Yingluk should be prosecuted for this corruption allegation that we haven't made."

But these farmers are also business men, and they know how the valuation of their land varies, they are not idiots, as the PDRC might believe.

You can see this in the poor turnout at the PDRC organized protests for farmers:

30225365-01_big.jpg

Not a lot of people there. This has been typical of PDRC's attempts at raising a fake mob of farmers.

This video sums it up for me, it's the best one of the one's I've seen on Pantip.

It sounds like you have no idea? Did you know the price the government promised was above the market value for rice as per the commodities market? Or are you hoping others don't know that?

How many government officials including Yingluk have said on more than one occasion that the Chinese where going to buy rice on a G2G basis? Yet no proof of this was offered by Yingluk!

So if the government had the money to pay the farmers where did it go? They never once said please wait we need to sell the rice first.

Maybe you should either read up on what has been going on the past few years, or maybe you like a few other here have a warped sense of reality? Or maybe just another troll.

• Like 1

The posters who were predicting a coup were wrong. The posters who said the election would not go ahead seem to have disappeared. Democracy will have the last word.

The yellow stained CC and EC have been exposed as deeply corrupted institutions. Once the dust settles on the election the first thing on the new governments agenda should be to appoint civil servants who are loyal to the people who voted, and not some fantasy that exists only inside their head.

MAY I BE THE FIRST TO SAY what a fool you are

You have no idea what damage the will do to Thailand and the north

But you will be happy as more Issan families will have to send their daughter to Pattaya for you sexual pleasures

'A coup that went wrong'

The leader of the military are not stupid, and have play their game 10 times better than Yingluck, she is teriffied that they can tun the tables at any time and she is gone

The game is not over till the Fat Lady Sings, the longer the forces hang out the better they look

The posters who said the election will not happen are right, it has and will not go on in a way that the Thai courts will accept it, so its all a great waste of money thet could be given to the poor, but you not care about then as long as you can have your way with their young daughters

This is 2014 the Yellow shirts as a mob fizzled out years ago, these are thai people protesting and many hate the old Yellow shirt mob

And you prove you are a complete fool with your last sentance

The first thing on Yingluk's agenda is getting money from her brother for a long drawn out legal battle in the courts, which he said she must take

post-13618-0-71788200-1391150307_thumb.p

30225365-01_big.jpg

How many government officials including Yingluk have said on more than one occasion that the Chinese where going to buy rice on a G2G basis? Yet no proof of this was offered by Yingluk!

So if the government had the money to pay the farmers where did it go? They never once said please wait we need to sell the rice first.

Maybe you should either read up on what has been going on the past few years, or maybe you like a few other here have a warped sense of reality? Or maybe just another troll.

It sounds like you have no idea? Did you know the price the government promised was above the market value for rice as per the commodities market? Or are you hoping others don't know that?

Yes it was a farm subsidy. The point being that claiming the difference between buy and sell price was stolen, requires the person believing that to be an idiot. But farmers are not idiots, they are businessmen, hence the poor success of that lie. Hence the poor turnout at their 'farm' protests.

Exactly, NACC is claiming 'lack of proof' equates to 'proof of graft'. Which of course it doesn't, hence NACC is playing politics.

You said: "Maybe you should either read up on what has been going on the past few years,"

I understand Thai, so I don't just have the half English propaganda the PDRC are pumping out. I think this is the closest description to the problem Thailand faces today:

Edited by BlueNoseCodger

Yes it was a farm subsidy. The point being that claiming the difference between buy and sell price was stolen, requires the person believing that to be an idiot. But farmers are not idiots, they are businessmen, hence the poor success of that lie. Hence the poor turnout at their 'farm' protests.

Exactly, NACC is claiming 'lack of proof' equates to 'proof of graft'. Which of course it doesn't, hence NACC is playing politics.

You said: "Maybe you should either read up on what has been going on the past few years,"

I understand Thai, so I don't just have the half English propaganda the PDRC are pumping out. I think this is the closest description to the problem Thailand faces today:

If you understand Thai--and their ways please tell me what you mean "These Thai farmers are business men " What ... near all Thai farmers are small scale who scrape everyday, going with their misses on the family M/Cycle hoe/machete --to their patch of land to grow what they need for the winter/season--and a bit more to sell for pocket money.

Vast amount of small time farmers do not have a 4 wheeled tuk tuk farm vehicle only a motor on wheels for plowing-or a buffalo .

If you want to talk about a FARMER big land owner/come miller HE has the money--he is ok. that bloke with the 5baht roll ups to smoke, he is the farmer here.

• Like 1

Are you really that dumb, how do you take 15000 Baht per ton paid for the rice and deduct that from the market value of on average half that amount? how is that even a farm subsidy, subsidies are normally paid direct to the farmer not the buyer of the rice!

Who is implying the difference was stolen? twisting things to suit your comments are we? They couldn't sell the rice, because they were never going to get back what they paid for it, or the storage and other costs related to the scam.

If a government says one thing which is then proven to be wrong! should it not be investigated for possible corruption or at the very least show the lies and incompetence of the government in question?

whence the NACC are playing politics

So who should investigate any possible corruption? please tell I would really like to know?

I don't speak very much Thai, So I don't get fed the propaganda the reds like to spout or that of the yellow shirts!

Edited by ggold

Here in my village in the South no one borrowed any money for planting. Some did to build a house. So the live is going on. The people in Surat Thani mostly are hard working straight people. Sometimes i think iam the only one who drinks two beer a day. Btw im the only one Farang around. "Village Farang?"

Edited by Mentors

The posters who were predicting a coup were wrong. The posters who said the election would not go ahead seem to have disappeared. Democracy will have the last word.

The yellow stained CC and EC have been exposed as deeply corrupted institutions. Once the dust settles on the election the first thing on the new governments agenda should be to appoint civil servants who are loyal to the people who voted, and not some fantasy that exists only inside their head.

The posters who said the election will not happen are right, it has and will not go on in a way that the Thai courts will accept it..............

Sadly, this is all too typical of the weird inverted logic that goes on in the yellow bunker. Never mind that tens of millions of people will go to the polls on Sunday, in the twentieth most populous country on earth. In this guys world the election 'will not happen' to his satisfaction, so those millions of people can be ignored.

The mobile phone companies and all the fancy shops will suffer as first...

Cheers

Lived in very small villages for most of my 33 years here, cut rice and sugar cane to help the poor, so do not give me the B/S -you thinking you are the only farrang around rural ares.

White whisky--local is not the most consumed--Nong Khai local whisky is the one-(killer ) favourite, at 90 baht per bottle.

I sold tobacco in my village shop, 5 baht pkt, but sold Krung Thip -Falling Rain better seller.

The poor little village member has a very old worm riddled home, on stilts with the odd buffalo a few chickens running free style on a land plot about 30 x 30 meters. maybe 3 dogs walking around near the home scratching for tip bits.

You grow your own rice--veg--fruit--chicken/eggs AND raise your own meat ?? you are not the norm in a village---you are wealthy.

Most small villagers grow rice for their need with a little more to sell for pocket money. for extras they get extra money by helping the bigger farmer to harvest His rice-cane.

Try your down trodden Udon village-who are scraping the barrel waiting for government payment.

You see it isn't all rosy in the garden, so go to other areas than your own and you can see vast differences.

Sir will you kindly point out where I stated that I thought I was the only Farang around the rural areas, that is nothing more than your assumption, or your intentional misrepresentation of what I in fact posted, Take a deep breath, go back and read my post again, then tell me if I stated what you posted.

I posted to ginjay post that indicated that life would be greatly affected in the village, which is not true for the reason I posted.

In your 33 years living in a Thai village you never learned how to make homemade alcohol, The simple process of steaming sticky rice, mixing/adding Chinese yeast mix,forming it to baseball size balls, place them in the red lime water and then let it ferment for a couple of month, you can drink the results or steam it to get Lao Kao .

It sounds like you live in a RICH village were the villagers, can afford to buy their alcohol instead of making it. I am self sufficient by choice that is the way I prefer to live. By the way I have a great Tomato and Mexican white tortilla corn crop going into full production for my own personal consumption.

I have posted extensively on TV forum about making and or growing my own food, It is not a self serving statement made up to respond to your question, it is fact, which you can verify if you care to.

Your, statements are a misrepresentation of village life as i know it, in much of Thailand I have lived in or visited , My brother lives in Na Bua Daeng, up north his area in more affluent then our village! I am by far not the richest person in the village, my retirement income, which in my home country it would be impossible to live in the lifestyle I enjoy in Thailand!

Many of the farang Suthep supporters want to believe there is great suffering in the North as they hope for a voters backlash against the PTP, those voters may not vote for PTP, but they will not vote for the Democrats!

Cheers

Cheers

Sir will you kindly point out where I stated that I thought I was the only Farang around the rural areas, that is nothing more than your assumption, or your intentional misrepresentation of what I in fact posted, Take a deep breath, go back and read my post again, then tell me if I stated what you posted.

I posted to ginjay post that indicated that life would be greatly affected in the village, which is not true for the reason I posted.

In your 33 years living in a Thai village you never learned how to make homemade alcohol, The simple process of steaming sticky rice, mixing/adding Chinese yeast mix,forming it to baseball size balls, place them in the red lime water and then let it ferment for a couple of month, you can drink the results or steam it to get Lao Kao .

It sounds like you live in a RICH village were the villagers, can afford to buy their alcohol instead of making it. I am self sufficient by choice that is the way I prefer to live. By the way I have a great Tomato and Mexican white tortilla corn crop going into full production for my own personal consumption.

I have posted extensively on TV forum about making and or growing my own food, It is not a self serving statement made up to respond to your question, it is fact, which you can verify if you care to.

Your, statements are a misrepresentation of village life as i know it, in much of Thailand I have lived in or visited , My brother lives in Na Bua Daeng, up north his area in more affluent then our village! I am by far not the richest person in the village, my retirement income, which in my home country it would be impossible to live in the lifestyle I enjoy in Thailand!

Many of the farang Suthep supporters want to believe there is great suffering in the North as they hope for a voters backlash against the PTP, those voters may not vote for PTP, but they will not vote for the Democrats!

Cheers

Thanks for you reply,

I didn't say that you said you were the only farrang in the village, you sound like you are.

My 33 years here are not alcohol years thanks.--but thanks for the illegal recipe. Ha ha

I do not and never have lived in a rich village, of all the villages I have lived in are far poorer than yours sounds.

You said you are far from the wealthy but what you do is far from the norm----BUT I admire your self sufficiency

My income is maybe similar style. but I live a nice clean modest life with my dogs and cats.

No misrepresentation my friend your village is upmarket to the norm. The normal Thai villages I know are the very poor areas, where a block house is rarely seen.

still buffalo and the like.

Your brothers village sounds like a model for future development compared to mine. If you get around and have time, go back in time in some backwater villages UDON--NongBuaLampu- when you say village, small villages have 12 houses---you sound like you live around a Tambon--head village that takes care of approx. 6 villages for the local Amper (town)

The good life comes to mind, the old UK tv series I used to love. your style.thumbsup.gif

If you understand Thai--and their ways please tell me what you mean "These Thai farmers are business men " What ... near all Thai farmers are small scale who scrape everyday, going with their misses on the family M/Cycle hoe/machete --to their patch of land to grow what they need for the winter/season--and a bit more to sell for pocket money.

Vast amount of small time farmers do not have a 4 wheeled tuk tuk farm vehicle only a motor on wheels for plowing-or a buffalo .

If you want to talk about a FARMER big land owner/come miller HE has the money--he is ok. that bloke with the 5baht roll ups to smoke, he is the farmer here.

They're strip farmers, they sell rice, they are in business, they're not dumb enough to fall for PDRC marches, you can see that from the numbers in the photos.

Poor farmers have a scooter and nothing else! You rent the plough, you rent the thresher, you rent the truck, and they're smart enough to do that at a profit. So to hear city folk talk about buffalos?!

Edited by BlueNoseCodger

30225365-01_big.jpg

Kikoman's post begins,

The figure you are stating has no correlation with the price local farmers were paid for their rice, In a Reuter's Editorial, stated That rice with a 5% broken, offered by private Exporters was quoted at $540. a ton on the Wednesday before the article, and was being undersold on the open market around $150-$170. a ton for the same grade rice from India, Pakistan and Vietnam.

Our family in the village were paid an average of 11,000 baht per ton of rice, ($355 per ton) competitive price with the rice sold by India, Pakistan and Vietnam, and a "Private Exporter" quoted for $540. a ton a difference of hundred and eighty-five dollars a ton more than our family was paid at 11000 baht per ton for growing the rice.

It is not the farmers that are running up the price on Thai rice in the open International market!

Cheers

Edited by kikoman

For those who thought the USA was the centre of the world when it came to litigation, it has nothing on Thailand

World hub of litigation, or trying hard to make a case for it at least. facepalm.gifclap2.gif

Ginjag,

Maybe I did misunderstand your statement but "So do not give me the B/S- you thinking you are the only Farang around rural areas:" seemed pretty straight forward and cut and dry to me.

But as you say you did not mean what I understood you posted in that context I will give you the benefit of the doubt and call it water under the bridge.

As you live in rural Thailand, I will listen to your opinion, not agree with it but hear it! unlike other posters that have never been out of the tourist areas and state how Thai farmers are!

My village is a small village 12 kilometers away from the Ampur, the Tambon is 2 kilometers away, or more better understood the closes 7/11 is 12 kilometers away, the closes Bid C is 55 kilometers away!

There is a lot of inter-village help for each other, my garden is open to our neighbors to help themselves to, our limes, cilantro, onion, okra, greens everyone takes only what they need, as we do if we need what is in the neighbors garden.

Great way to live, among great people!

Cheers

So wrong it's hard to know where to start. For one thing, the PTP is only going to landslide the election because the so-called Democrat party won't be taking part. If they had spent the last two and a half years building an electoral base in Isaan instead of sulking in Bangkok and whining to their friends the judges, they might have had a shot at winning the election.

There should be a rule against blathering about a "Peoples Council" when the actual people, you know, the ones who vote, will not have the slightest say in deciding who would be on it.

Then there's the question of how another bout of autocracy would make any more difference than the coups of 2010, 2006 and all the others before that.

And worst of all, the 49 million registered voters would then have no say whatsoever, short of taking to the streets, on when the next election would be held. The longer the junta stayed in power the less likely they would be to win the subsequent election, so it would only be conceded when forced out of them by mass street violence.

Whether they get another landslide or not has nothing to do with what is the best course.

Though that can be seen as another symptom of the pervading problem for Thailand.

The Dems were always physically driven from Issan every time they tried to go there and make their case.

This is part and parcel of the Red Shirts rise an reason de etre. So it's hard for them to be blamed for not

going there and being physically attacked by thugs yet again. And for the record TRT, PPP and PTP have rarely ever been abused going to speak in the south, ignored certainly but attacked no.

In a land that has had 18 coups, the people are more than used to time outs as the political camps are set on their back feet. They have also gotten their votes back again, and each time with increased or decreased attempts to reign in the political excesses. The most wish the problem of errant politicians was finally stopped cold and not an ongoing occurrence. With the politicians making their own rules it seems a mobious loop of corruption fighting corruption.

My point is a peoples council of 600 may well be more balanced,

than a handpicked and controlled Thaksin puppet cabinet.

This was not a question of democracy posed, but a question of what is better for short term Thailand's general interests. As a question of blind democracy yes of course it is wrong. But the 'Thaksin council of thirty' doing his bidding is an absolute autocracy, run by a megalomaniac controlling sycophants. Nothing democratic there.

You assume it is to be a "Junta", which typically is a military council that is the council of 600,

but if this happens without a coup, then it will be civilian governance with a wider ratio

of representation to populace, and limited military and NO Thaksin control.

The military has showed they are quite reluctant to fill this governance roll,

but not necessarily willing to prevent an alternate governance to come about.

The question posed is:

Will a year of 'unelected, Thaksin controlled, 30 person Junta'

under the name Caretaker Cabinet. effectively a dictatorship in all but name.

Be better or worse for the public interest

Than a wider based and generally more accountable '600 person civic council',

making decisions for a shorter period of time,

while setting up increased checks and balances for the future.

Not a question if that is the democratically correct solution.

Nor an advocacy for the later.

It is a question we may have to watch be answered sooner or later.

Edited by animatic
  • Like 1