Auto Trivia

bazmlb

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bugatti is very close. I believe the Bentley was the first road car but there was another one racing years before.

Hmmmm, might have to cheat............laugh.png

For me the fascinating thing is was 1912 only about 25 years after the invention of the automobile. When it comes to internal combustion engines nothing much is actually new, except the availability to the masses.

Edited by VocalNeal

Aye, Peugeot L76 in 1912, held the land speed record for a while. Twin overhead cams, 16 valves, 7.2 liters and about 90bhp! So nothing much new but a lot more power per litre these days.

Looks like Peugeot actually commissioned Ettore Bugatti to build them later and EB nicked the design!

So nothing much new but a lot more power per litre these days.

But that is down to manufacturing techniques, materials and fuel quality. The old guys knew what to do just....

Have we had the first car with disc brakes?

Edited by VocalNeal

Kind of.

Once you have an internal combustion engine it's a fairly short step to try more valves. I've never really understood why pushrod engines came about as it seems obvious that an OHC is better, but I'm sure there's a logical explanation. Like drum brakes...

Aye, Peugeot L76 in 1912, held the land speed record for a while. Twin overhead cams, 16 valves, 7.2 liters and about 90bhp! So nothing much new but a lot more power per litre these days.

Looks like Peugeot actually commissioned Ettore Bugatti to build them later and EB nicked the design!

Well done! It was a great question.

I know nothing about Peugeot L76's!

smile.png

Ok the first car with disc brakes has been done how about how about cars with a manual transmission and a free wheel system?

Armstrong Siddeley?

Daimler?

Edit: forgot Rover?

Edited by Woodsie888

Bugatti is very close. I believe the Bentley was the first road car but there was another one racing years before.

Hmmmm, might have to cheat............laugh.png

For me the fascinating thing is was 1912 only about 25 years after the invention of the automobile. When it comes to internal combustion engines nothing much is actually new, except the availability to the masses.

Almost ALL the mechanical systems in use on a "modern-day" car are inventions of the 19th century (i.e.the 1800s) or before. As with so many "inventions" they weren't really and invention such but an agglomeration of various ideas, inventions and designs that were already in existence.

So...what about the first DIFFERENTIAL?

Edited by wilcopops

Kind of.

Once you have an internal combustion engine it's a fairly short step to try more valves. I've never really understood why pushrod engines came about as it seems obvious that an OHC is better, but I'm sure there's a logical explanation. Like drum brakes...

Probably because OHC is much more prone to wear and tear than push rods .

Kind of.

Early automotive engines were side valves which didn't need rockers. (up till the 60s, AND I believe H-D were culprits??) They were therefore lower and more compact with fewer moving parts.

Once you start to put the camshaft on the top of the engine you start making it really tall.

In the UK in particular the tax laws for cars were based on the surface area of the piston - this lead to the development of really long-stroke engines rot get the CCs......again if they have been OHC they would have been incredibly tall.

Edited by wilcopops

In 1963 General Motors Holden released an Iconic Aussie motor car.

Fast Forward to 1972 - My question is...was it a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday night at the drive in that I finally got into Sylvia Smiths pants?biggrin.png

Trick question...I never got into Sylvia Smiths pants.....though I tried hard sad.png

She told me...........coffee1.gif

What about the Sandman????

So...what about the first DIFFERENTIAL?

First diff. in a car? Difficult! It is such an old invention. I remember on the History Channel a south pointing cart in China way back when but don't think they actually invented the diff. Its one of those things one discovers when playing with gears or trying to push a Kart around in the pits!

As a Production Car or Race/Rally /Drag.?.

OK, hmmmmmmmm, what ever you like, entered as an MG Mini Metro. Not drag cos that could be anything.

Don't know the engine size, probably around 3 litres but it was a V6, called the 6R4 or something like that? Built for homologation so it could compete in some rally event.