Customers refuse to pay, what to do?

Paangjang

Police is the best way if they refuse to pay. After a night in jail I am sure they will figure out a way to pay the bill. Backpackers and young kids can sometimes be a pain in the a$$ as they don't have much money and can do stupid stuff. I would bet they had a phone or a watch that could be sold.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can understand the bar running a tab for the customers as this is Thailand and almost ALL bars run tabs. The only places that i know that dont do check bins are nightclubs as its to hard to keep total on the bins.

Obviously most of the comments on here are from people that live outside Thailand and have not been here and experienced the culture of bars.

If you want to comment on something that is common here maybe come for a holiday or move here. smile.png

• Like 2

The OP has had a lot of posts, he should know what to do, I suspect a lonely person making up stories, but just in case he isn't, then has anyone considered the 2 "ladies" may have been confused between dollars and baht?

• Like 1

So i was in my friends bar last night. It's a bit of a backpacker sort of bar. There were these 2 young English girls in there drinking nothing but cocktails the whole evening. They treated the bar lady to 1 also. The cocktails they were drinking ranged from ฿99 to ฿149. Note that the drink they baught the bar lady was sold at the standard price, its not a girlie bar.

Anyway, 2am rolled round and the girls asked for one bill between them which they would share. It came to just under ฿1780. They said this was way too much and that they hadn't realised the price's were so high. My friend (the foreign owner) went though the bill with them and they all agreed the bill was correct and it hadn't been padded, that wasn't the issue.

These two 21 year olds were persistent they were not going to pay.

"I won't pay that, that's way too much, i don't."

They were asked how much they were willing to pay.

"I don't pay."

With this the idiot bar lady told them to <deleted> off. The worst thing to do. They both left. What A** holes these 2 were.

What could we of done, call the BIB? Great idea, not... What would you of done? Bear in mind this is Thailand...

Cheers

Yes call the BIB that's what they are paid Tea money for.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

First of all cocktails between 99 and 149 baht are not too much.

The owner have a work permit to run a bar? I guess not.

The bar had several options:

- Call the police and let the Thai staff handle. OWNER not here.

- Play it hard... Ask one of the girls to come inside and then threaten her. Take pictures.

- Play it hard... get mad and bang on the table

- Play it hard... have thé motorcycle to handle it

- Play it hard... Show your own wooden stick

last thing to do is to let them go... which your staff did. If you expect those guests to be still in town tell your employee she is responsible. She will find the way to get the money back.

Don't be weak. Show what you are worth or your running a bar adventure will quickly turn sour.

Ps: you also need to show your staff you are strong. Who knows these girls are related to your staff

Good luck!

Tell them if they don't want to pay they will go to the back room and work it off with the Thai clientele. Then stand in front of them and make sure they know you are serious. Letting them off with no repercussions will only cause them to think they can pull this same kind of stunt again. Before too long they will run into someone who is not as understanding and it will be to their detriment when they find out the consequences.

They can't pull this kind of $hit in their home country so why should they be allowed to do it here?

I don't know what's in the water here? Guys turn in to idiots and seem to loose all common sense!

Why don't you do exactly what you would do back home!!!! Thailand is no different from other countries!!Why men act like idiots here!???

• Like 1

Helping at a gogo on walking. A week back a drunk Russian drank a couple and bought some lady drinks and then when time to pay mumbled "no money, no money". Staff asked me what to do and I said I am doing nothing, call the police. Three of the tourist/volunteers came and searched him and eventually took him away. I asked next day and they said they took him to the hotel and got money, no doubt some for them too.

Absolutely should call the police. They would have paid as soon as you picked up the phone. As the Falung you stay out of it totally. I imagine you are paying the cops something, make them earn it. They no doubt had a good laugh on getting the free drinks.

The OP has had a lot of posts, he should know what to do, I suspect a lonely person making up stories, but just in case he isn't, then has anyone considered the 2 "ladies" may have been confused between dollars and baht?

Do you seriously believe there is a chance they confused it for dollars?

Don't be ridiculous. It would be impossible for them to have made it that far into the country without realizing they are all of a sudden they are dealing in dollars.

Surely no one could be that brain-dead.

Edited by Straight8

Do you seriously believe there is a chance they confused it for dollars?

Don't be ridiculous. It would be impossible for them to have made it that far into the country without realizing they are all of a sudden they are dealing in dollars.

Surely no one could be that brain-dead.

Seriously... did I say serious.. I think, if you read CAREFULLY, I said "may have", perhaps you do not understand English. I myself have seen many tourists in Phuket confused, especially around the drinking area of soi bangla, but then maybe my experience does not count.

Yes i do have a lot of posts but if you read the OP properly you'll see it wasn't my issue. I don't have a bar in Thailand and don't want one. Re read the op then respond...crazy.gif

- Play it hard... Ask one of the girls to come inside and then threaten her. Take pictures.

last thing to do is to let them go... which your staff did. If you expect those guests to be still in town tell your employee she is responsible. She will find the way to get the money back.

Don't be weak. Show what you are worth or your running a bar adventure will quickly turn sour.

Ps: you also need to show your staff you are strong. Who knows these girls are related to your staff

Good luck!

AGAIN... Not my staff, not my bar. My friend Steve's bar. A few guys on here know me personally and know my business is not a bar.coffee1.gif

if the cus

Stop the money from the Thai serving girls wages.

Her job to collect the money, she didn't do her job.

My advice to him also.

In the West that is totally illegal for good reason.

To hold the waiter/ess financially responsible for dine and dash is absurd.

If you make the waitress responsible for that tab what does she do if the customer pulls a gun? Demanding that the server deal with the <deleted> may put them in harm's way.

Totally normal here. Otherwise many will scam the owner via their friends or at least give away a lot of product.

If you're not willing to do business the Thai way you most likely shouldn't get into business here. Next you'll be bringing in non-discrimination laws, sexual harassment laws etc etc

Robberies of restaurants just don't happen much and obviously that can be treated as an exception.

Good luck!

AGAIN... Not my staff, not my bar. My friend Steve's bar. A few guys on here know me personally and know my business is not a bar.coffee1.gif

Well, tell your friend Steve or any other bar owner who has this issue.

As it concerns 21 year old girls from England it would have been very easy to impress them to pay up.

Not paying can land them in jail for 1 month... Enjoy the local Hilton...

• Like 1