Thailand launches anti-plastic bag campaign

Lite Beer

Saves them the effort to collect them from the streets and the beaches.

Where is anyone removing them from the beaches or shore line? Has anyone taken a look at the Ban Phe coast as you leave and enter by boat to Samed. It's absolutely gross and they even charge 10 baht to enter and leave the the disco pier now. Some of that should go to cleaning up the dock areas or even a group of scouts or some other group should do it. Such an eyesore

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

While they are at it at 7-11 they should cut down on the number

of straws, spoons, etc. that they dish out willy-nilly.

Why does two cans of coke need three straws? One yoghurt two spoons?

I bought yogurt the other day, four cups wrapped together in plastic. Inside were four plastic spoons, also wrapped in plastic. The four cups could have been bound together with a band of plastic instead of covering the entire thing, or even by card board. The spoons are unnecessary. Most people are taking them home where they have spoons. The stores should keep a few spoons at the registers and if people need them, they can take them. I'm saving up all the spoons I get and will send them back to the company one day. Its so wasteful.

You could of bought seperate yogurts, you would of had no wrapping.

It is of course a very good idea to reduce the amount of plastic. But biodegradable plastic is available & the bags could always be made of strong paper.

However, in the uk carrier bags are now sold at 5p each (0.2bt?) - that I think is way too much, & suggests to me that so many 'enviromental solutions' are just a cost cutting scheme to increase profit.

And packaging. Its a much bigger problem. Everything you buy is wrapped in plastic wrapped in plastic. And thick plastic, not the thin plastic like the 7-11 bags.

Plastic doesn't really decompose either I don't think. It just breaks down into smaller and small pieces.

Sadly many supposedly biodegradable bags are no better, they are designed to break down into small pieces but are still a major pollutant. Lobbying by large corporations in the US led to regulations being loosened so that this could be allowed, it makes a joke of the real 'green' biodegradable bag market.

I bought yogurt the other day, four cups wrapped together in plastic. Inside were four plastic spoons, also wrapped in plastic. The four cups could have been bound together with a band of plastic instead of covering the entire thing, or even by card board. The spoons are unnecessary. Most people are taking them home where they have spoons. The stores should keep a few spoons at the registers and if people need them, they can take them. I'm saving up all the spoons I get and will send them back to the company one day. Its so wasteful.

Why are you sending them back to the company? I assume it's to let them know in a subtle way that they are doing something wrong, but in my observations of Thai culture, they don't have a clue when it comes to subtle messages. They will just stick them back in the new packages of yogurt and be happy about the bit of money they saved because of this "gift" they received.

When I first saw single apples wrapped in styropor and then again in plastic and when I got my first snickers handed to my in a little bag I was like blink.png
Yeah I reuse lots of bags for my trash, but they keep piling up.
Wonder what is the actual cost of e.g. a plastic spoon.
LIke 0.01 THB?

"have launched a campaign aiming to encourage the public, particularly the youth, to cut their use of plastic bags at convenience stores for greater waste reduction in the country."

Really? How about instructing the staff at 7 eleven not to hand out plastic bags for even the smallest things like chewing gum instead of encouraging the youth not to use them?! It's not like they're demanding them anyway. They're almost being forced on them.

7 eleven staff will definitely need a "brainwash" because by now it's reflex for them to go for a plastic bag as soon as they have scanned the items.

On second thought, how about not making any plastic bags available at all any longer and replace them with waxed paper bags? Offering cotton bags for sale would be an idea, too. Either way, the population would learn pretty quickly to bring their own bags.

From my point of view it's not up to the customers to make a change. It's CP's decision. He's got the power to make plastic bags disappear from his stores and so he should do. The reality is that 7 eleven loves its plastic. About half a year ago they began to hand out drinking straws that have an additional plastic wrap around it, which annoyed the shit out of me. I never take straws anyway, but seeing it just pisses me off. They've been using the "unpackaged" straws since 7 eleven opened its first door in Thailand and it was perfectly fine. Another example is Oishi teas. Why does there all of a sudden have to be a plastic wrapper around the top? Especially since the top is sealed already the way it is!

Edited by pacovl46

10 Years behind the civilised world yet again. Its BIG 'C' that wants talking to. They will put a single tooth brush into one of their big green carriers. The parent company Walmart / Asda stopped handing out plastic bags more than 2 years ago. So why do it here ? Bring your own!!!!!

I once bought, along with my shopping, one of Tesco's big strong reusable bags and put it to the front of the items to be checked. I told the assistant to pack the goods into the bag but NO that wasn't allowed. She had to put the purchased bag into another plastic bag!

Tell her that no bags please I want the points added to my Tesco card purchases.

I just found out that Central has a great program where each 15-17th of the month they offer a 5% discount on top of your purchase if you carry out your own goods. Not bad. Especially for higher ticket items that are small such as watches.

Edited by tomyummer

And packaging. Its a much bigger problem. Everything you buy is wrapped in plastic wrapped in plastic. And thick plastic, not the thin plastic like the 7-11 bags.

Not to mention the high explosives you need to open a bag of crisps. My pet peeve in Thailand.

• Like 1

Why are you sending them back to the company? I assume it's to let them know in a subtle way that they are doing something wrong, but in my observations of Thai culture, they don't have a clue when it comes to subtle messages. They will just stick them back in the new packages of yogurt and be happy about the bit of money they saved because of this "gift" they received.

No, not as a lecture. If they stick them in the new packages, at least its not new plastic being added into the mix.

But I plan to write a letter too begging them to reduce the plastic. At least its one voice. If there are others out there, it adds up. And who knows, maybe some middle manager will read it and realize its an excuse not to put them in there anymore and save his company some costs.

They will probably just throw the spoons away though :(

The worst is when you are at a store and they are giving you a bag but you tell them you don't want it. Sometimes, since they've taken it out of the plastic bag that plastic bags come in already, they just throw that one away! Its never been used!

Edited by taony
  • Like 1

Plastic doesn't really decompose either I don't think. It just breaks down into smaller and small pieces.

yes you can make them bio-degradable but it is better to not use them at all

If I'm not mistaken this campaign is launched every year. Last year they offered discounts for every cloth bag you filled at Tesco. This will never work in Thailand.

Barry

One will never know unless we continue to try...

Restriction on over the top plastic bags is a small start...

What would be your solution to the plastic pollution or any pollution for that mater ?

KOTO recommends

Education, Education, Eduction, Fines, Mandatory Community Service,

In some cases Jail Time for bad case litterers...

Once one must reach into pocket to pay, a thought process begins or

they must remove the trash every weekend for a month, sit in jail for a day or 3...

Teaching the children to teach their parents would also help...

We should all add suggestions, who knows one might work (Not holding breath)

If I'm not mistaken this campaign is launched every year. Last year they offered discounts for every cloth bag you filled at Tesco. This will never work in Thailand.

Barry

What would be your solution to the plastic pollution or any pollution for that mater ?

KOTO recommends

they must remove the trash every weekend for a month, sit in jail for a day or 3...

Barry

KOTO recommends

Barry

KOTO recommends

post-51002-0-78192200-1391161270_thumb.j

Edited by koto

It's also a matter of staff training, and that obviously is rather lacking at 7-11 until to date.

A big step into the right direction would be to advice staff NOT to put every single Coke can or chocolate bar into a weeny-teeny, miniscule midget plastic bag. You buy one small item, you can just as well carry it home in your shirt pocket or your hand, can you not?

It also is not necessary to put laundry detergent and fabric softener in one bag, a can of beer or soft drink into another, and a bag of chips and vaccuum-packed peanuts in a third, because there is absolutely no danger of their contents "mixing with one another" as some staff insist on claiming to justify their deliberate use of plastic bags.

Last but not least, it would be good to ask the customer if they actually WANT any plastic straws and plastic spoons - and even more important, how many - before putting ANY in the bag that were not requested in the first place.

Edited by Misterwhisper

Three people might be sharing two cans of coke oooooorrr two people may share a yogurt.

Don't want to catch germs.

I bring a back pack to big c now. Easy to carry all the heavy stuff, nice when you are stocking up on beer for protest weekends. And i bring a few plastic bags for the left overs. Much easier to carry things on my back too. If i had a car, i would just bring the trolly to the car and put the stuff in.

But really the packaging is the worst. I already don't buy things bc of the packaging. Ready made food at the supermarket is a hig one. Its hard to keep cutting things out and eventually you wind up with plastic too. But at least i am limiting the amount.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Very seldom I take a plastic bag from the 7-11 or Family Mart if its small items I just put in my pockets or in my back pack, and if I am going out to do a weekly shop I take my own bags with me because they are stronger, if you buy a pack of chewing gum at 7-11 they just put it in a plastic bag regardless I always say no thanks and give it back to them now my local 7-11 always ask me if I want a bag if I have a few items. I am not a tree hugger but all these plastic bags blowing about ever ware looks so dirty and untidy and anything will help to improve a little in Thailand, a very dirty country.

Edited by metisdead
Font again!
  • Like 2