Need advice on CM school for years 4/5/6

FiftyTwo

So suddenly been faced with a kid wanting to change school for Mawittayom 4/5/6.

Grade average is 3.2 and the kid looking at Lanna PolyTech College, Lanna Commercial Coll, Metro Tech Coll.

As far as I can see these are all very low quality places looking to turn out students ready for trade employment.

(Kid is following some stupid friends).

What is wrong with doing 4/5/6 at a normal government school?

Not sending her to expensive private school, just normal but would like her to be able to go to University after school.

Any ideas??

Any of the private schools send lots of students onward to CMU, don't know what you consider expensive but the list:

Dara, Prince, Regina, Montfort (I think they just added girls like 3 years ago), Varee, etc

But Yuparat (spelling) inside the old city, might work too

• Like 1

Oh my goodness, FiftyTwo, do they refer to you as the "farang" the in the household? Throughout your OP you referred to this young woman as "a kid" and used terms that implied she was a nuisance "so suddenly faced with a kid wanting to change school" and "kid is following stupid friends"

Is this young woman your daughter? Have you not realized that normally, in Thailand, acceptance into a top university comes only after sending her to an "expensive private school".

Also, have you not considered, that as a "farang" (God, how I hate that term). The greatest gift you could give her is the ability to communicate well in both written and spoken English? Obviously you can write well and maybe you can speak without a strong regional accent. Perhaps you could pass along this gift to your daughter rather than spending so much time anonymously stirring up others on an internet forum.

• Like 1

Oh my goodness, FiftyTwo, do they refer to you as the "farang" the in the household? Throughout your OP you referred to this young woman as "a kid" and used terms that implied she was a nuisance "so suddenly faced with a kid wanting to change school" and "kid is following stupid friends"

Is this young woman your daughter? Have you not realized that normally, in Thailand, acceptance into a top university comes only after sending her to an "expensive private school".

Also, have you not considered, that as a "farang" (God, how I hate that term). The greatest gift you could give her is the ability to communicate well in both written and spoken English? Obviously you can write well and maybe you can speak without a strong regional accent. Perhaps you could pass along this gift to your daughter rather than spending so much time anonymously stirring up others on an internet forum.

Wow, this may be the first time I don't quite understand from you. Too much wine?

• Like 1

Wow, this may be the first time I don't quite understand from you. Too much wine?

No, not that, too much going on in my life, Too many tangles with fifty two about other issues. (I don't know who he is, it's just from Thai Visa postings) It hit a nerve that he is referring to a young Thai woman in his household in this way. What will she turn out to be when she grows up? What a wasted opportunity for her to benefit from living with someone who clearly has the ability to write well in English.

Edited by NancyL

No, not that, too much going on in my life, Too many tangles with fifty two about other issues. (I don't know who he is, it's just from Thai Visa postings) It hit a nerve that he is referring to a young Thai woman in his household in this way. What will she turn out to be when she grows up? What a wasted opportunity for her to benefit from living with someone who clearly has the ability to write well in English.

NancyL, I hope it's all well with you.

I think you all are nit-picking (how rare on TV). The young lady is probably 14 yo, and it's really not uncommon for people to refer to their offspring as "kid(s)." And, a lot of parents do this even if their kids are well into their 20s. "My kid is going to Yale, and it will cost a fortune." Oh, and lots of kids have stupid friends, especially, when they are in high school. And even more parents think that your kid IS the stupid one; not theirs, of course. The guy asked a straight question....give the ole geyser, er I mean gentleman a straight answer, and just lighten up.

• Like 1

Any of the private schools send lots of students onward to CMU, don't know what you consider expensive but the list:

Dara, Prince, Regina, Montfort (I think they just added girls like 3 years ago), Varee, etc

But Yuparat (spelling) inside the old city, might work too

thanks for that.

talked to some thai friends that suggested Dara and Yuparat too.

going to look into them

sorry nancy, dont understand your posts at all.

the kid speaks fluent english already, doesnt need lessons at the level thais teach english.

i was unprepared for this sudden request for a school change.

not my kid, so not really my place to insist on anything.

always need to tread carefully when dealing with other peoples children.

at 15 in thailand, she could just get on a bus and never be seen again. happens often.

Our daughter attended Dara Academy,from early age,and stayed there

until she went on to University,just graduated a year ago,is now in a decent

job.so can recommend Dara, but it also depends where you live in Chiang Mai,

as getting them to school in the mornings is quite difficult with the traffic situation.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

hey 52, I've walked by that Yuparaj school many times, and from what I can see, the students are well behaved, and I get a good vibe from it, and I've worked at many high schools, but never stepped foot on that one...just sayin'. And good for you for looking out for a young person in your household, who is not yours. That can be a very precarious position to be in.

• Like 1

as getting them to school in the mornings is quite difficult with the traffic situation.

regards Worgeordie

We are at MaeJo, all the songtaws drive past Dara on their way to town, so a convenient journey.

How much does Dara cost?

Mum will call Dara and Yuparat on Monday, also thinking about NawaMin near 700 year stadium.

Edited by FiftyTwo

Bit more on Dara:

My Ex, her sister and all of her friends went to Dara from Prathom to M6, all of them graduated and went on to decent Thai Uni's like CMU or Mahidol, a lot went on to get their master's and they all hold either well paying or respectable jobs. This is a different generation I am talking about, (they're in their mid 30's) but they all want to or are sending their own kids to Dara/Prince

As for Yuparraj (Knew there was a J in there somewhere) I believe that depending on the program, they even use text books in English for History and science, so since you said her English was solid this could be a viable choice as well.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Bit more on Dara:

My Ex, her sister and all of her friends went to Dara from Prathom to M6, all of them graduated and went on to decent Thai Uni's like CMU or Mahidol, a lot went on to get their master's and they all hold either well paying or respectable jobs. This is a different generation I am talking about, (they're in their mid 30's) but they all want to or are sending their own kids to Dara/Prince

As for Yuparraj (Knew there was a J in there somewhere) I believe that depending on the program, they even use text books in English for History and science, so since you said her English was solid this could be a viable choice as well.

Good luck!

Thanks BA.

This morning has been mum and daughter screaming their heads off and floods of tears.

Apparently we don't love her because we won't let her go to vocational school with her stupid friends.

(when I say friends, I mean this months friends)

I've been avoiding all confrontation with either.

Off out for coffee, thanks to all for your suggestions and posts.

TV is a great community when someone needs a bit of practical advice (in a hurry).

regards Worgeordie

We are at MaeJo, all the songtaws drive past Dara on their way to town, so a convenient journey.

How much does Dara cost?

Mum will call Dara and Yuparat on Monday, also thinking about NawaMin near 700 year stadium.

When I taught P5-6 students years ago, and they were looking at M1 they and their parents considered Nawamin to be the bottom of the heap, not challenging and not a school that sends a lot of kids on wards to better universities. This was confirmed to me when I met a teacher there responsible to handling the M6 kids and teaching them enough English to get a decent grade on their entrance examinations. He was telling me while it has improved since the Head of the school gave him reign over how to get the kids up to speed, there was still only a hndful going on to CMU and the like, also that this Admin was on her way out and there was grumblings about how she has forced for work on the teachers to pick up the quality of the education, where as they mostly want to coast and get out with a good pension.

• Like 1