Is Khao Kiaew worth a visit

Deserted

Hi all, I was thinking of taking our son to see some attractions in and around Pattaya. We did this a couple of years ago and liked Nong Nooch Graden. I saw a place recently that I didn't know about Khao Kiaew zoo/safari.

Is it worth a visit? The website gives the impression that there isn't much to see but I can't really tell. Would I be correct in thinking its nearer Sri Racha?

tx

Yes, it is a good day out and plenty to see. Rent a golf cart and drive yourself around. As long as you're not too disturbed by the way they treat the animals you'll be fine. It's not that they deliberately mistreat them but it's just not the same as in the west.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I think it's worth a visit. You can drive your car round (if you have one) or rent a golf cart and pull over at whichever attraction/animal enclosure takes your fancy. There's plenty to choose from. The treetop zip-line thing that used to be called Flight of the Gibbon is at Khao Keow also - I think it changed its name though. Yes, it is kind of around Sriracha.

Personally I think the Sriracha Tiger Zoo is the best day out of all the animal attraction places. They should change the name, because there's a lot more to see than just tigers. Elephant show, elephant rides, tiger show, target shooting to feed the tigers (air rifles - hit the target and a piece of meat falls down into the tiger enclosure below), crocodile show, pig racing, feeding tiger cubs, photo with tiger cubs... I thought it was very entertaining last time i was there.

• Like 1

I didn't like the tiger zoo at all. Nong Nooch was the nicest one. So is khao khiew basically that you just drive around looking at different spots? I take it there are no dangerous animals about as we have asmall child. I don't have a car so we would need to rent a golf cart. Would it be best to go there from sri racha?

I didn't like the tiger zoo at all. Nong Nooch was the nicest one. So is khao khiew basically that you just drive around looking at different spots? I take it there are no dangerous animals about as we have asmall child. I don't have a car so we would need to rent a golf cart. Would it be best to go there from sri racha?

You drive, then get out at the various spots to take a look. Some are big open fields with things like giraffes, zebras, ostriches etc. There's usually a moat between you and them. Some are enclosures for tigers etc. They have a penguin house too.

How would you get to Sriracha, or is that where you live? From Pattaya you take the #7 until you see a sign for the zoo, then exit, u-turn, come back over the bridge and follow the signs. The exit from the #7 is somewhere around Sriracha.

Depending on how old your son is you could try Greta Farm. More of a petting zoo with reindeer, sheep, goats, rabbits, guinea pigs, a pitch & putt golf course, tennis courts, basketball court, bicycles, a kind of assault course/obstacle course and a restaurant. Rooms for rent too. It's nice, tranquil and not too far from town.

We went a few years ago. The family organised the day so they hired a mini bus and organised a Thai picnic and off we went. Unfortunately about a week before my wife and i had spent a day at Singapore Zoo and it was difficult to avoid comparisons . I was both bored and embarrassed for the condition of the animals and the facilities.

Now it may have improved since then and a comparison between one the best zoos in Asia and khao khiew may be unjust but a visit to Chiang Mai Zoo shows that the Thais can do much better. I am not saying don't go , but don't expect too much either.

Edited by xen

I agree there are issues regarding cruelty to animals but it would be a mistake to think of such places as one and the same, some are worse than others.

I dont think that the relative level of badness matters very much.

Okay, well in principle I agree there is much room for improvement concerning how the Thai's treat animals. This is why I didn't like the tiger zoo. ANy place that has a tiger, pig and labrador together needs a kick up the backside. I was interested in khao kiaew because I doesn't look like that kind of place. It seems to offer better conditions for the animals but again, its hard to tell from the website, hence the post. We liked Nong nooch for the gardens rather than the animal anclosure. All opinions welcome.

We liked Nong nooch for the gardens rather than the animal anclosure.

I like Nong Nooch for the gardens also but as far as I'm concerned it seriously lets itself down with the animal "attractions" and because of them I simply cant support it, which is a shame.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...