Stop the hate!

george

They are speaking nasty words such as lizard [water monitor] naming the viewer as an animal, hoping you will die etc, calling you stupid.

But obviously it is not directed at foreigners for it is not in English. It is meant for a Thai audience.

Though we are born of different temperaments we are likely to be emotionally molded during our upbringing.

I think it starts in the home with good parenting.

If kids make mistakes explain with reason instead of emotional disapprovals.

Control your anger in front of the them eg. when viewing/reading about political events or when stuck in traffic (rage).

Avoid curse words

Judgmental and gossipy parents with racial tones lead to children with the same mindset.

My wife was once scolded harshly for taking pictures of exotic animals in Chatuchak market in front of my kids and myself. I confronted the guy and told him he was very rude and that he should apologize as my wife did not see the small sign saying "no photo" (obviously for bad publicity reasons). He refused and continued to rebuke us.

Inside I really wanted to teach him a lesson (and practice some of those wing chun moves!) but I took a deep breath and let it go because both my girls were there. If I had pummeled the guy what would I have proven?

Its okay to use violence because your bigger or trained?

Lead by example.

Edited by smileydude
  • Like 2

Though we are born of different temperaments we are likely to be emotionally molded during our upbringing.

Control your anger in front of the them eg. when viewing/reading about political events or when stuck in traffic (rage).

Avoid curse words

Judgmental and gossipy parents with racial tones lead to children with the same mindset.

My wife was once scolded harshly for taking pictures of exotic animals in Chatuchak market in front of my kids and myself. I confronted the guy and told him he was very rude and that he should apologize as my wife did not see the small sign saying "no photo" (obviously for bad publicity reasons). He refused and continued to rebuke us.

Inside I really wanted to teach him a lesson (and practice some of those wing chun moves!) but I took a deep breath and let it go because both my girls were there. If I had pummeled the guy what would I have proven?

Lead by example.

A fine post with a lot of genuine wisdom - some of it sounds almost pre-WW2, and that's no bad thing in my book of life. The only question-mark it raises in my mind is the issue of violence, or of non-violence. Although i strongly believe (well, know) that violence in general leads to a no-win, god-awful aftermath - hours/months or in the case of a conviction, years in clink being abused in all manner of ways - your final question: "It's ok to use violence because you're bigger or trained?" is not merely rhetorical for me. There are so many occasions in personal life and in the life of a nation where yes, violence is completely justified - and i'm usually smaller, but it wouldn't cross my mind when i'm furious enough ! Your restraint in THAT situation was definitely wise all round though - the moron was only verbally abusing you - but if he'd shoved you, what would you have done ? What if his shove had put you on the floor ? Still a pacifist ? It would have taken monumental amounts of self-control not to deck him then. Your emphasis on child-development is terrific, and i think it's an area of human knowledge that is almost belittled these days by some of the 'child-centred' thinking, but i imagine that since you are 'trained' you wouldn't want your kids to be punch-bags for all and sundry as they take on the challenges of growing up, so in some situations, maybe turning-the-other-cheek would not be the best choice. It's easy to be clever with hindsight, but maybe the best handling of your particular 'situation' in the market, would have been to ask your wife is she was going to be spoken to like that by a fellow Thai (i'm assuming that of course). Love the first paragraph; and my answer to your last line, is Yep, sometimes; but only when it is unavoidable.

(Ed: it's not your last line, it's your final question, sorry.)

Edited by crazydrummerpauly
  • Like 1

It would indeed be wise for both sides to back off and to compromise- for the good of the nation. But dream on, this is a winner take all impasse...

The bloodiest war in US history was our own terrible, murderous and unnecessary Civil War. The only reason it stopped was because the North completely crushed the south militarily and both populations were utterly sick of war.

The Thais have not endured civil unrest to this degree, one in which every family has lost loved ones. I fear only a terribly costly "Butcher's Bill" will eventually bring about compromise- or one side winning all.

Really hope I'm wrong...

Didnt understand a word, the concept or meaning......sorry.

I got it right away.

You'll get it when you watch this group's OTHER video:

You can't compare Syria or Egypt conflicts to Thailand.

Not all dog's are vicious.

Edit, I doubt George even wants to use the op video as a comparison to your Syrian video.

Politics should really be left at the front door around here.

Edited by krisb

Let's hope that remains so. Thailand is playing with fire now. Civil war is not a garden party.

Look, I don't live in Thailand so don't have to deal with the issues so much. I get you guys who do it is more in your face type of gig. But, I see Thai Visa as a more relaxed place to come and chat with those you like to listen to, and those you don't. Political subjects should be canned altogether here imo, unless it's at the 'get the hell out of Thailand cause it's at boiling point' type of scenario.

The subject matter is far too sensitive.

Didnt understand a word, the concept or meaning......sorry.

I got it right away.

You'll get it when you watch this group's OTHER video:

You can't compare Syria or Egypt conflicts to Thailand.

Not all dog's are vicious.

Edit, I doubt George even wants to use the op video as a comparison to your Syrian video.

Politics should really be left at the front door around here.

You'd have to ask George.

Maybe you don't understand.

A poster said he didn't understand the first video of the boys.

I looked up the video and the group that made that video ALSO made this OTHER video which I posted.

That clearly explained to the poster who didn't understand what the FIRST video related to.

The group so far only has TWO videos on youtube, and they are both posted here.

Maybe you get it now too, the FIRST video is ALSO about the Thai political crisis, and yes, it is a severe one.

The name of the youtube account that posted ONLY these TWO videos, which you can see here is -- Stop The Hate - Thailand·2 videos

So you see, sir, this was ALREADY a political topic about the political crisis in Thailand.

If the second video from Stop The Hate - Thailand is too graphic to be posted on this forum, sorry, mods are welcome to delete.

BTW, personally I think it is a good idea that Thais be reminded of what they are playing with now with their already "soft" civil war. Expats too of course, because if it's gets real hard, we'll be gone.

Edited by Jingthing

Avoid curse words

Lead by example.

A fine post with a lot of genuine wisdom - some of it sounds almost pre-WW2, and that's no bad thing in my book of life. The only question-mark it raises in my mind is the issue of violence, or of non-violence. Although i strongly believe (well, know) that violence in general leads to a no-win, god-awful aftermath - hours/months or in the case of a conviction, years in clink being abused in all manner of ways - your final question: "It's ok to use violence because you're bigger or trained?" is not merely rhetorical for me. There are so many occasions in personal life and in the life of a nation where yes, violence is completely justified - and i'm usually smaller, but it wouldn't cross my mind when i'm furious enough ! Your restraint in THAT situation was definitely wise all round though - the moron was only verbally abusing you - but if he'd shoved you, what would you have done ? What if his shove had put you on the floor ? Still a pacifist ? It would have taken monumental amounts of self-control not to deck him then. Your emphasis on child-development is terrific, and i think it's an area of human knowledge that is almost belittled these days by some of the 'child-centred' thinking, but i imagine that since you are 'trained' you wouldn't want your kids to be punch-bags for all and sundry as they take on the challenges of growing up, so in some situations, maybe turning-the-other-cheek would not be the best choice. It's easy to be clever with hindsight, but maybe the best handling of your particular 'situation' in the market, would have been to ask your wife is she was going to be spoken to like that by a fellow Thai (i'm assuming that of course). Love the first paragraph; and my answer to your last line, is Yep, sometimes; but only when it is unavoidable.

(Ed: it's not your last line, it's your final question, sorry.)

You raise some interesting points about violence versus non-violence.

First I am hardly a pacifist thats why I trained myself in self defense and compete in IPSC competition shooting. I strongly believe in the 2nd amendment and also have trained everyone in my family how to properly handle firearms.

I believe in the right to use lethal force to protect myself and my family and will not hesitate to do so in a life-threatening situation.

To be honest if he shoved me I would have broken his arm. I am hardly a saint.

As for my wife, I actually did glance at her before I withdrew and she gave me the look that said "honey its not worth the problem of ending up for hours in the police station". I defended her honor and she felt that was enough. Of course my evil side said I should have reported him to the endangered animal protection agency but I knew they were in his pockets otherwise he wouldn't be selling them out in the open.

I define force and violence as different things. Violence is based on an emotional response without just cause as what often happens between youth gangs and when mobs of people of opposing religions and political ideology meet. Force is a planned action to contain a threatening situation such as by the military or law enforcement. On a personal level force would have been my subduing any physical threat which I think would have been justified but in this case I think the perp's bark was mightier then his bite.

• Like 1

SmileyDude,

You sould like you are being a bit "Thai" in your thinking here, about the verbal rudeness ...that requires force or violence? Isn't that like "Face" and Thai people who fly off the handle, because of something, someone SAYS?

I generally think talking, should only be met with more talking or ignoring.

SmileyDude,

You sould like you are being a bit "Thai" in your thinking here, about the verbal rudeness ...that requires force or violence? Isn't that like "Face" and Thai people who fly off the handle, because of something, someone SAYS?

I generally think talking, should only be met with more talking or ignoring.

amykat

Please reread the original post. I said that we should be examples to our children not to condone violence.

I handled the verbal abuse without resorting to violence.

Another member raised the subject of violence versus non-violence in which I was asked if physically threatened whether I would remain passive and I said no.

oh and by the way, I am Thai and why does that make me more afraid of losing face then men of other races? Rather racist comment is it not?

I think no man wants to lose face or his dignity in front of his family but force should only be used in self defense. That is my point.

Edited by smileydude
  • Like 1

I don't think these kids are expressing hate.

Hate eats you inside and shows on your face.

They are showing attitude, disrespect and being provocative.

Unfortunately, due to dislocation of ancient Buddhist values and an ever failing education, violence and incivilities has become their mode of expression.

Watch out for this coming generation!