Seeking Advice on Which Scooter Is Best For Me?

MW72

I'm looking for your advice on which make and model of scooter I should buy. To help you advise me I'll give you a bit of background info.

I'll be moving up north to the country in Phrae province specifically Wang Chin. I've not found a house to rent yet but in general the bike will be used on asphalt and concrete country and village roads but from time to time I like to go off the beaten track and will ride on some dirt track roads (or worse). It may get used for town driving a little bit but I doubt it so I could do with something that won't mind a bit of abuse down a bumpy road. I want a twist and go feet up job. No gears or pegs. I work abroad so most of the time the gf or her sister will use the bike for day to day stuff but when I get home I'll want to tour the area and discover where every little road and track leads to. I've been following the thread on wheel size and reckon that the bigger the wheel the better for stability on rough roads. Maybe spokes and not alloys? Engine size between 100 and 150 is ample for my needs. When I was a teenager I rode a 50cc and 125cc on country roads in Scotland and in my 20s and early 30s I had a 250 motocrosser for the beach and forest so I'll have to watch I don't abuse the scooter too much. tongue.png

Although I have owned bikes in the past I am not a very mechanically minded person and don't know all of the info required to make an informed decision. Even if I read up about the different specs I wouldn't understand so I am hoping some of you are clued up, experienced and generous enough to part with your knowledge and advise me on suitable models that will suit my needs.

As an afterthought I should clarify that I have driven scooters on the road in Thailand during previous holidays. Both town (Hua Hin) and country (Korat Province). I know the roads in Thailand can be lethal or should I say the driving standards in Thailand are lethal. I plan to get my helmet sent out from the UK as I have a pretty big head and could never get a big enough helmet from the rental guys. Led to me getting fined in Hau Hin for not wearing a helmet.

Any advice is much appreciated.wai.gif

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Your first decision is if to have a flat footrest (true scooter) to be really comfortable and carry stuff around easily. If that the case the model leading in technology is Honda click 125 at 50K new. If you want the absolute best and money (100K) is no objection, then get an Honda SH150.

I have an SH150. Expensive? Yes. Ugly? Yes.

Still consider it the best scooter for me. Practical, economical, just does all I need it to do.

Drove Hua Hin to Bangkok last month with a pillion, the last leg of a 1400 km round trip. Bike was a dream :)

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Your first decision is if to have a flat footrest (true scooter) to be really comfortable and carry stuff around easily. If that the case the model leading in technology is Honda click 125 at 50K new. If you want the absolute best and money (100K) is no objection, then get an Honda SH150.

Flat foot rest would be what I'm after. Money is not a problem but for double the money does the SH 150 offer that much more than the click? I could imagine paying 20 or 30% more for a better spec, reliability or quality of build, maybe even 50% more but would 100% extra be justified by the end product? This bike will just be a little run around for local trips and for me to have a bit of fun and explore the local area when I'm off work. We will have the car for longer trips or shopping runs etc.

Sent from my KFTT using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

As she will be ridding it most show the wire a Honda Click 125 and Honda SH 150 and a Yamaha Nuovo 125 and let here chose.

I'll let her have some input but she's not getting to chose on which one is the prettiest colour. :D

It's just as well she doesn't know about TV or I'd be getting slapped for that comment.

Flat foot rest would be what I'm after. Money is not a problem but for double the money does the SH 150 offer that much more than the click? I could imagine paying 20 or 30% more for a better spec, reliability or quality of build, maybe even 50% more but would 100% extra be justified by the end product? This bike will just be a little run around for local trips and for me to have a bit of fun and explore the local area when I'm off work. We will have the car for longer trips or shopping runs etc.

The SH125 is a global model designed and built for 1st world markets. Frame, suspensions and brakes are designed to carry 2 big people and can take a 280cc engine as well (not available in Thailand). Personally I don't find it ugly at all. Priced at 100K is actually still much cheaper than in Europe (Eur 3,200).

The Click 125 is a great design designed specifically for Thailand and Asian market, where the average driver is ligther, price must be contained and the market not so demanding, as they want more cool decals than else. For the price available (as low as 37,000 used) it's an absolute bargain.

Their engine is even the same except the minor displacement difference, so that takes it out of the equation. If you want something that you feel as your personal choice and will make you look different, get the SH150. But for the purpose you mentioned, and as you intend already to lend it to Thai ladies, you should get the Click instead.

Edited by paz

The SH125 is a global model designed and built for 1st world markets. Frame, suspensions and brakes are designed to carry 2 big people and can take a 280cc engine as well (not available in Thailand). Personally I don't find it ugly at all. Priced at 100K is actually still much cheaper than in Europe (Eur 3,200).

The Click 125 is a great design designed specifically for Thailand and Asian market, where the average driver is ligther, price must be contained and the market not so demanding, as they want more cool decals than else. For the price available (as low as 37,000 used) it's an absolute bargain.

Their engine is even the same except the minor displacement difference, so that takes it out of the equation. If you want something that you feel as your personal choice and will make you look different, get the SH150. But for the purpose you mentioned, and as you intend already to lend it to Thai ladies, you should get the Click instead.

Thanks paz, some good info there. I'm edging closer to the click now. I've been looking at pictures of the SH 150 online and it looks quite nice but I don't think I need the extra spec. If there is 2 on the bike it will likely be Thais. I'll be riding solo mostly. I think the click will meet my needs.

I won't be lending the bike to Thai ladies, I don't think I'll have any choice in the matter cheesy.gif On a serious note, I will be away working for at least 50% of the time so it needs to be something they are comfortable with and if I go for the lower spec and lower cost model to start with then I won't be so upset if I get home and find they have wrecked it.wai.gif

If you are riding on dirt tracks etc a lot, a scooter might not be very good. Maybe a kawasaki KSR 110cc. Semi auto ie no clutch. Great fun to ride in the countryside. Wide tires and decent suspension for bumpy roads/tracks. About 65-70K new.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far folks. I have narrowed the choices down to 2 bikes. The Honda Click 125 and the Yamaha Nouvo SX 125. The Honda for acceleration, fuel consumption, range, price. The Yamaha for looks, handling, wheel size, on board computer. The Honda is edging it slightly but with the difference in acceleration and fuel consumption being minimal and the fact that I will use the bike for short range country driving that would swing things back towards the Yamaha.

Before I declare the Yamaha the winner, does anyone have any opinions on Suzukis? The local town has one motorbike shop and he sells Suzuki bikes. I'll happily travel to the nearest large town to get a Yamaha but if Suzuki make a model of equal quality at a similar price it would be nice to buy the bike at the local shop. I'll check the internet for Suzukis but if anyone has any first hand experience of them then it would be nice to know what you thought of them.

If you are riding on dirt tracks etc a lot, a scooter might not be very good. Maybe a kawasaki KSR 110cc. Semi auto ie no clutch. Great fun to ride in the countryside. Wide tires and decent suspension for bumpy roads/tracks. About 65-70K new.

Look like a lot of fun. I'll be getting a more practical scooter first for both the gf and myself to use but once I get the lay of the land I may look for something a bit more fun for myself.

scooters are not bad for dirt roads as no rear brake pedal and clutch to work on. - provided that you go slow and not exaggerate.

as you can place both feet on the ground anytime.

i think click 125 is a good option for op's needs.

Edited by ll2

I think that the Yamaha Nouvo or Honda Airblade are a good choice as both are automatic flat foot versions and have twin shocks at the back and also a large enough storage space under the seat and are comfortable to ride....have rented these on a few occasions and was quite impressed with the performance. As someone has suggested maybe rent first and then make your choice.

• Like 1

You're on the right track looking at the Honda and Yamaha. Only potential issue you may run into is if you decided to trek into the hills, or make the trip to Nan. The roads get quite steep. If you are alone, no problem. If you are riding 2 people, it is going to put significant strain on the engine.

I live in Phrae (Song District...just a short distance from where you will be), and have an older police issue Yamaha 150cc 6-speed. I am a rather large person (80kg), and have overheated the bike riding from Phrae to Nan, a 2 hour ride through the mountains. If you are sticking to the streets or the occasional jaunt into Phrae, you are fine. Do Nan or Lampang and it may be a little more of an issue.

Just my 2 cents.... :)

Once you've tried out the Zoomer X you probably won't like the feel of other scooters anymore. The wider Tyres and bigger handlebars make it feel very solid to ride. Hitting bumps and potholes with those wider wheels is a much more pleasurable experience.

• Like 1

Been through the same situation and finally after renting different types and test driving others from my local friendly dealer whom I have known for a while through other friends here... I cam to the conclusion of getting the Honda Wave, It was a great price and as far as I am concerned is a two-wheeled truck! It will carry every and anything and though has a 'manual gear box and you sit astride it... it is comfy and works like a dream. But for 'off road' travel... well not really a good choice. I have to say that I have been looking these days at the both the Lifan (Explorer model) and the Keeway (TX and Super Lite). The two former ones are a bit more of a cross-over type bike. Each is comfortable on-road and off-road. Both are 200cc. The latter Super Lite is more of a cruiser style bike and is also 200cc. Each has a plus, but I would not say that carrying things from the shops is as easy as with the Wave. But you can do it. Then there is the Honda PCX. It comes in 125 and 150cc versions and is cool looking and more than comfy to ride even over long distances. Trouble is that it is the usual Honda price tag, where as the Lifan and Keeway are much cheaper and I think that you get more for your money. Both of these firms are good and Lifan is the actually the largest maker of bikes in the world (Chinese) where as Keeway is a combo company. Some built here in LOS and both seem to copy Honda workings for the most part. Honda is the way to go though if you must have something that is basic and will keep up with your needs if only to look a bit boring and common. But get the 125cc model of the Wave. They have a 100cc version, which actually I have (as I only use it for around town here) Thought it will do 70kmh with ease even with 2 people on board and the shopping... going up a hill in that state is a bit... well interesting. Just do what I did... rent first and take your time. Lifan is cheapest, Keeway ios the next cheapest and Honda is at the top of the range. There is another Chines firm... Ruko (I think that is the spelling) that has a very cheap (39000bht local) cruiser type bike that measures out to be 125cc. Looks stylish and easy to ride with a nice low center of gravity. Well worth checking it out. Good luck and have fun!

PCX is the daddy.....

Yes PCX is great..had one of the first models...great stable bike, the new PCX 150 same with improvements in cooling hoses. I have two bikes one Honda PCX 125 and New Honda Forza..which is a dream bike..very stable and great acceleration..over the low maintain or rental Thai bikes that weave side to side once they have full throttle leaving the intersection.

A great dealership if you want to SAVE money over the Mityon dealership is Asia City Motors... Mr Noi... his cell number is 081-458-7591

Get the best price from Mityon...which wont be possible as they hold their price....now with your figures for new bike... phone Mr. Noi and say what is the best price for Honda PCX..for get the wave and cheaper bikes you want quality and performance..right..tell Mr. Noi...Mr. Ron (bought a Forza from him last week) will know and give you great service...delivery to your door..

post-27018-0-07761200-1391321101_thumb.j

post-27018-0-83083600-1391321300_thumb.j

New ?....Yamahas 125....from a Yamaha licensed dealership..over 40K

Used? Honda Air Blade 110 2007 (hard to find)..from a Honda licensed dealership...around 25K...similar to the Yamaha Nouvo, but better. Heavier and faster than a Click 115 or Susuki 125...

Be careful with the used ones...many times are from rentals, very well repainted and with tampered odometers...that why its prices are usually lower than in brand's dealership, and do not carry any warranty.

• Like 1

I took the opposite approach to what most have been suggesting. I bought an 25 year old Honda Dream for 8k baht.

They are indestructible, it burns no oil, and the Thai mechanics know them inside out

Maintenance and repair is your least concern in Thailand on most bikes as the mechanics are good, cheap shop rates, and the parts mostly available for cheap.

My bike will go almost anywhere, I don't care if it gets roughed up, and it's simple to take care of. You might want to start with one of these and if wanting something more, relegate the Honda Dream to be the "loaner" for the visitors from home.

That's my plan if I ever tire of the ugly old Dream ( love it to death!)

• Like 1

Loads of new advice to consider today. Thanks folks. Just to clarify, when I say I may go off road I am talking about dirt tracks and maybe the odd little path at slow speeds. I'm not planning on crossing fields or going through forests with it. Nothing that would stress out the shocks too much but they will have to work for their money and so will the wheels and tyres. I will likely get myself a real bike eventually but I just need a little run around that the gf can use and when I am home I can have a bit off fun on it and explore the area.

Honda zoomer, cracking bike for skittering between the city/large town and village

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I don't know what to make of the zoomer. It is certainly different and looks like it would take a bit of punishment. I've looked at some of the pictures on google and some I like and other I don't. Definitely not one the gf would go for I think. I'll keep it in mind though and try and see one in the flesh if I can. Thanks.