Seeking Advice on Which Scooter Is Best For Me?

MW72

You're on the right track looking at the Honda and Yamaha. Only potential issue you may run into is if you decided to trek into the hills, or make the trip to Nan. The roads get quite steep. If you are alone, no problem. If you are riding 2 people, it is going to put significant strain on the engine.

I live in Phrae (Song District...just a short distance from where you will be), and have an older police issue Yamaha 150cc 6-speed. I am a rather large person (80kg), and have overheated the bike riding from Phrae to Nan, a 2 hour ride through the mountains. If you are sticking to the streets or the occasional jaunt into Phrae, you are fine. Do Nan or Lampang and it may be a little more of an issue.

Just my 2 cents.... smile.png

Thanks for the advice. It's good to get advice from someone who lives near the same area and knows the terrain. This purchase will definitely be for local trips but I may get bored if the gf is working and go for a longer drive so it's good to know that the bike will struggle on the hill climbs. I'm 87kg but was 98kg a couple of months back and 105kg at my heaviest so I need to keep that in mind also.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Been through the same situation and finally after renting different types and test driving others from my local friendly dealer whom I have known for a while through other friends here... I cam to the conclusion of getting the Honda Wave, It was a great price and as far as I am concerned is a two-wheeled truck! It will carry every and anything and though has a 'manual gear box and you sit astride it... it is comfy and works like a dream. But for 'off road' travel... well not really a good choice. I have to say that I have been looking these days at the both the Lifan (Explorer model) and the Keeway (TX and Super Lite). The two former ones are a bit more of a cross-over type bike. Each is comfortable on-road and off-road. Both are 200cc. The latter Super Lite is more of a cruiser style bike and is also 200cc. Each has a plus, but I would not say that carrying things from the shops is as easy as with the Wave. But you can do it. Then there is the Honda PCX. It comes in 125 and 150cc versions and is cool looking and more than comfy to ride even over long distances. Trouble is that it is the usual Honda price tag, where as the Lifan and Keeway are much cheaper and I think that you get more for your money. Both of these firms are good and Lifan is the actually the largest maker of bikes in the world (Chinese) where as Keeway is a combo company. Some built here in LOS and both seem to copy Honda workings for the most part. Honda is the way to go though if you must have something that is basic and will keep up with your needs if only to look a bit boring and common. But get the 125cc model of the Wave. They have a 100cc version, which actually I have (as I only use it for around town here) Thought it will do 70kmh with ease even with 2 people on board and the shopping... going up a hill in that state is a bit... well interesting. Just do what I did... rent first and take your time. Lifan is cheapest, Keeway ios the next cheapest and Honda is at the top of the range. There is another Chines firm... Ruko (I think that is the spelling) that has a very cheap (39000bht local) cruiser type bike that measures out to be 125cc. Looks stylish and easy to ride with a nice low center of gravity. Well worth checking it out. Good luck and have fun!

When I worked in Africa the Lifans were popular there because of the price. Personally for me I am going to go with the tried and test Japanese models for now. The years of experience and quality of build is more important for me and I am fortunate enough that at this moment in time I can afford to pay for a new Japanese model. It is only a matter of time before the Chinese build quality and reliability catches up with the Japanese models and if they can keep the price down then it will be a serious option.

Honda zoomer, cracking bike for skittering between the city/large town and village

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I don't know what to make of the zoomer. It is certainly different and looks like it would take a bit of punishment. I've looked at some of the pictures on google and some I like and other I don't. Definitely not one the gf would go for I think. I'll keep it in mind though and try and see one in the flesh if I can. Thanks.

I got the zoomer end of 2012, the gf hated the look of it until other people started buying them, I find it good on government road and farm track. Best getting a shot of one first

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

As she will be ridding it most show the wire a Honda Click 125 and Honda SH 150 and a Yamaha Nuovo 125 and let here chose.

I believe that since 2009, all of the Nuovo's have been 135cc. Mine is a 2006, and is 115cc.

I think that the Yamaha Nouvo or Honda Airblade are a good choice as both are automatic flat foot versions ...

Neither Yamana Nouvo nor Honda Airblade are flat footrest scooters, that is, they are not scooters at all, when the OP had already responded that that is what he wants.

Nouvo is a CVT underbone motorcycle. Airblade is technically not an underbone, but is just as uncomfortable, as the space between feet is taken by the fuel tank.

Of course, even the PCX that someone suggested with so much confidence falls in the same category.

Such bikes are much less practical than a scooter where you step in and out effortlessly, can hang bags in between legs, or carry items like the classical beers case on the footrest and still have your feet on it. Some will jump up and defend the underbones because their stiffier frame, my answers is, for a try take/compare a flat foorest to the driving style or road conditions where an underbones shows it qualities (e.g leaning, braking on uneven pavement at 80 Kmh), then ask yourself if it is wise to be driving like that in Thailand anyway.

Also I'm surprised by the recommendation for oddballs like the Zoomer-X or even Kawasaki KSR.

Beside their funky looks (as they are destined to the young capriceous buyer), the Zoomer-X has too small wheels for proper stability and safety (wider tires does not compensate the lack on rotational stability that comes with a larger diameter wheel). Also it lacks any under seat storage since the desiger filled it with air. The front fairing does not extend high enough, meaning poor rain protection, and finally the engine is still the less efficient 110c.

Regarding the KSR I must say that the only purpose it can have for a Foreigner owner is to embarass him/her.

I did buy a Click about 4 years ago but I think they were were 110 or 115 cc back them. Great mileage adequate

performance. I am a hefty guy, 110kg, Loved the flat step through foot area great gas mileage and Honda quality

build. Used it for the past four years in Phuket during 3 x 1 month stays and 2 x 6 month stays. Left it with a friend

to use. Never had any problems. Would have liked dual rear shocks. Now living in Jomtien bought a Nouvo six

months ago with heavy duty after market rear shocks. I like it no real complaints. But I do miss the step through flat

deck middle which made a great carrying platform. As for the extra stiffness of the Nouvo frame. I don't drive like a

a lunatic so I don't really notice the difference in handling performance between the two bikes. Both met my needs.

With the new Click being a 125cc bike. I would probably lean in that direction and add a heavy duty rear spring.

Of course I agree with PAZ in post 2 that the SH150 would be a great choice. I have seen a couple around town.

But at roughly double the cost of the Click very hard to justify even if you can afford it.

Of course for clowning around the Forza looks hard to beat but not practical for your needs. Maybe for your next

bike. Enjoy your decision. facepalm.gif

Edited by Ulic
  • Like 1

I think that the Yamaha Nouvo or Honda Airblade are a good choice as both are automatic flat foot versions ...

Neither Yamana Nouvo nor Honda Airblade are flat footrest scooters, that is, they are not scooters at all, when the OP had already responded that that is what he wants.

Nouvo is a CVT underbone motorcycle. Airblade is technically not an underbone, but is just as uncomfortable, as the space between feet is taken by the fuel tank.

Of course, even the PCX that someone suggested with so much confidence falls in the same category.

Such bikes are much less practical than a scooter where you step in and out effortlessly, can hang bags in between legs, or carry items like the classical beers case on the footrest and still have your feet on it. Some will jump up and defend the underbones because their stiffier frame, my answers is, for a try take/compare a flat foorest to the driving style or road conditions where an underbones shows it qualities (e.g leaning, braking on uneven pavement at 80 Kmh), then ask yourself if it is wise to be driving like that in Thailand anyway.

Also I'm surprised by the recommendation for oddballs like the Zoomer-X or even Kawasaki KSR.

Beside their funky looks (as they are destined to the young capriceous buyer), the Zoomer-X has too small wheels for proper stability and safety (wider tires does not compensate the lack on rotational stability that comes with a larger diameter wheel). Also it lacks any under seat storage since the desiger filled it with air. The front fairing does not extend high enough, meaning poor rain protection, and finally the engine is still the less efficient 110c.

Regarding the KSR I must say that the only purpose it can have for a Foreigner owner is to embarass him/her.

Once again paz some good advice there. The click 125 and the nouvo 125 were the 2 I had most in mind. If anything I was swinging towards the nouvo. I had noticed it wasn't a proper flat footrest scooter but thought it looked really good and had some benefits I liked, however you have mentioned one thing there that I had lost sight of and has swung me back towards the click. As you say the nouvo is not a flat footrest scooter and cannot "carry items like the classical beers case on the footrest". I need to be able to get my beer back from the 7-11 biggrin.png But seriously this will be a big plus point for the gf who will use the bike more than me to pop down to the shops or run errands for her Father so this is an important feature.

The zoomer is a strange looking beast. I agree with the comments about wheel diameter being more important than width. The Kawa looks like great fun if I was a teenager again. My mate had a CR 80 when we were kids and it was a great thing to learn on. Enough speed for our age and not to heavy to handle. I feel both are stuck in the middle ground. There not a handy little thing for the gf to use and me to have a bit of fun exploring and they are not the kind of thing I'd want for open roads or proper off road for that matter. I think I would go from the scooter straight past these and get a 250 with 6 gears.

Thanks again.

I did buy a Click about 4 years ago but I think they were were 110 or 115 cc back them. Great mileage adequate

performance. I am a hefty guy, 110kg, Loved the flat step through foot area great gas mileage and Honda quality

build. Used it for the past four years in Phuket during 3 x 1 month stays and 2 x 6 month stays. Left it with a friend

to use. Never had any problems. Would have liked dual rear shocks. Now living in Jomtien bought a Nouvo six

months ago with heavy duty after market rear shocks. I like it no real complaints. But I do miss the step through flat

deck middle which made a great carrying platform. As for the extra stiffness of the Nouvo frame. I don't drive like a

a lunatic so I don't really notice the difference in handling performance between the two bikes. Both met my needs.

With the new Click being a 125cc bike. I would probably lean in that direction and add a heavy duty rear spring.

Of course I agree with PAZ in post 2 that the SH150 would be a great choice. I have seen a couple around town.

But at roughly double the cost of the Click very hard to justify even if you can afford it.

Of course for clowning around the Forza looks hard to beat but not practical for your needs. Maybe for your next

bike. Enjoy your decision. facepalm.gif

Thanks Ulic. It is looking like the click for me now. No one has a bad thing to say about them. Like you say with the SH 150 being double the price it is hard to justify for what will be a bike mainly used for short runs of a few kilometres in the country. No city traffic to try and keep up with at the lights. The nouvo does seem like a nice bike but the click edges it slightly in most areas.

Thanks to all contributors. Even if I have ignored your advice, I appreciate the fact that you gave it. Please feel free to continue posting and I will keep checking but it looks like the click is the bike for me. Maybe the gf will have different ideas.biggrin.png

It will be a couple of months before I am back in LoS and there is every chance I may not get the bike in the next visit. We will be hunting for a place to rent and getting a car will be top of our priorities. Plus it will be Songkran when I am over so it could be my next visit before I get a bike but I will be sure to post and tell you what I got and my first impression. Hopefully the local bike shop holds more than Suzukis and hires also. I might get a bit of testing done on my next visit.

Thanks again clap2.gif

Hey mate, thought I'd offer my 2 cents.. I own a Nouvo, have a ridden a lot of different models either from renting, riding friends bikes, and owning a few different bikes myself.

Good that you cleared up the point about off-road riding, it's helped establish exactly what sort of riding you intend to do.

So most of the models that have been suggested are good and all have pro's and con's. here is my experience and knowledge of each:

Nouvo: have owned 2. You can absolutely carry shopping and cartons or whatnot in the footwell, in fact I've learnt to carry quite a load as you can swing the bags to each side and there is actually a concave in the front where your feet and bags actually go. Pro's are the dual spring's in the rear, tubeless tyres, large diameter wheels, longer wheelbase, very smooth to ride and good stable handing at higher speeds (compared to say a click). I'm 80Kg and I often double the missus. Although the bike does handle quite well, I'd say the suspension is a little on the soft side at speed, so it can get bouncy at times, but again still better than most of the basic scooter models. Someone mentioned about them being 135, but indeed the new ones are 125FI. They will go all day but won't break any land speed records, but are fast enough off the light's that it's not really a big deal.

Click: Owned one, was great, very easy to ride and being more compact than the Nouvo it was very easy to ride around town. A bit scary at high speeds, not as stable as the Nouvo. Has tube tyres. They are cheaper than most other options.

Mio 125: great, would compare it directly to a click, faster than the Nouvo. Both faster off the lights and faster top speed.

The Click and Mio are great cheap city bikes, but you sound like you're out in the country and so squeezing between peak hour traffic with your 80-90kg frame is probably not a leading consideration.

PCX: 150cc, more power, speed, comfort, stability etc. More expensive, damn ugly!@ yes they are ugly, let's at least be honest about that ^^ however when holidaying around the island/coastal regions it's usually my preferred choice of ride.

And the Honda SH, which it sounds like you have almost already ruled out, though it does sound like it's the most suited to your needs, other than maybe budget.

All of these bikes you can technically go exploring on, though with each decrease in relative model size, the appreciable distance also decreases.

As you have categorically ruled out geared variants I won't go there, but it's something I'd suggest you think over..

Airblades, are great but no longer sold new.. can't comment about the Zoomer, haven't ridden one and am not interested in doing so. The Suzuki models look to be on par with the Yamaha and Honda offering's and having a local dealer is a plus but I don't think that Thai's like them and therefore resale might be an issue as might service if the dealer closed or whatever.

Good luck with your choice, and note that you can buy proper gear from BKK and Chiang Mai, no need to have anything sent over.

My pennies worth;

Going back to the op, buy two newish second hand for your needs, a click for the Mrs and a PCX with some extras for yourself (probably can do for the price of a new PCX)

Personally the best buy or bang for your baht currently is the Honda Forza, it eats all opposition out there at the moment, not far off a Yam Tmax in performance yet half the price, but here we are talking BiG Scooters, the Mrs could ride it but how would you be if she dropped it on you, plus it can shift a bit so I wouldn't want my other half chancing it really.

The Honda & Yam you mention both good, but a PCX with extras second hand in good nick with low miles is the way to go IMO from what I think you are after (do you really need off road or just a dirt track??) they can all ride on dirt tracks. Off road? then you know already you need a crosser or something with decent suspension.

Would not touch a Lifan if you gave it me, they are $hite, in two years it would be <deleted> also Suzukis will loose a lot more if you are selling on, Thais like their Hondas No1 followed by Yamaha on the second hand market.

I have the Yamaha Nouvo elegance on an 09 plate, I got it six mths old off a Thai girl I know (she thought it was too big for her) Now has upgrades (suspension, Tyres, brakes, tuned aftermarket parts malossi/polini bits: variator, rollers, clutch etc) so is quick, also now have a Forza and that's just the Dogs Danglies, but use the Nouvo at night as the parking lads ram the fackers in around Patong , don't fancy me Forza getting scraped up just yet or coming back to find me Akropovic Can gone walkies either lol...

Edited by Lokie

No need to shout. Your lack of a sense of humour is very evident here. It was a joke. The next time I make a joke I will make sure I make it perfectly clear for those that have no sense of humour. I thought the big smiley after that statement would have been enough but the next time I will make sure I highlight it better.

As she will be ridding it most show the wire a Honda Click 125 and Honda SH 150 and a Yamaha Nuovo 125 and let here chose.

I'll let her have some input but she's not getting to chose on which one is the prettiest colour. biggrin.png
It's just as well she doesn't know about TV or I'd be getting slapped for that comment.

Sent from my KFTT using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have nothing but respect for my better half hence the reason I am willing to give up my life in my own country and set up home in Thailand so that she can be near her elderly father. As you know nothing about me or my partner I think it best you keep your worthless opinions to yourself. And one more thing, how do you know she is a Thai woman? I haven't mentioned that in the post above. Jumping to conclusions again are we? She is Thai but I would have thought that her nationality would not have mattered or do you only care about people being disrespectful to Thai women?blink.png

Hey mate, thought I'd offer my 2 cents.. I own a Nouvo, have a ridden a lot of different models either from renting, riding friends bikes, and owning a few different bikes myself.

Good that you cleared up the point about off-road riding, it's helped establish exactly what sort of riding you intend to do.

So most of the models that have been suggested are good and all have pro's and con's. here is my experience and knowledge of each:

Nouvo: have owned 2. You can absolutely carry shopping and cartons or whatnot in the footwell, in fact I've learnt to carry quite a load as you can swing the bags to each side and there is actually a concave in the front where your feet and bags actually go. Pro's are the dual spring's in the rear, tubeless tyres, large diameter wheels, longer wheelbase, very smooth to ride and good stable handing at higher speeds (compared to say a click). I'm 80Kg and I often double the missus. Although the bike does handle quite well, I'd say the suspension is a little on the soft side at speed, so it can get bouncy at times, but again still better than most of the basic scooter models. Someone mentioned about them being 135, but indeed the new ones are 125FI. They will go all day but won't break any land speed records, but are fast enough off the light's that it's not really a big deal.

Click: Owned one, was great, very easy to ride and being more compact than the Nouvo it was very easy to ride around town. A bit scary at high speeds, not as stable as the Nouvo. Has tube tyres. They are cheaper than most other options.

Mio 125: great, would compare it directly to a click, faster than the Nouvo. Both faster off the lights and faster top speed.

The Click and Mio are great cheap city bikes, but you sound like you're out in the country and so squeezing between peak hour traffic with your 80-90kg frame is probably not a leading consideration.

PCX: 150cc, more power, speed, comfort, stability etc. More expensive, dam_n ugly!@ yes they are ugly, let's at least be honest about that ^^ however when holidaying around the island/coastal regions it's usually my preferred choice of ride.

And the Honda SH, which it sounds like you have almost already ruled out, though it does sound like it's the most suited to your needs, other than maybe budget.

All of these bikes you can technically go exploring on, though with each decrease in relative model size, the appreciable distance also decreases.

As you have categorically ruled out geared variants I won't go there, but it's something I'd suggest you think over..

Airblades, are great but no longer sold new.. can't comment about the Zoomer, haven't ridden one and am not interested in doing so. The Suzuki models look to be on par with the Yamaha and Honda offering's and having a local dealer is a plus but I don't think that Thai's like them and therefore resale might be an issue as might service if the dealer closed or whatever.

Good luck with your choice, and note that you can buy proper gear from BKK and Chiang Mai, no need to have anything sent over.

Thanks Mike, Some more food for thought. One thing is for sure, I am going to have to hire a click and a nouvo and see which one we prefer the best. A bit of slow speed village driving then out on the road at high speed. I'll get some shopping in also and see how they both cope. The tubeless tyre was something I hadn't considered before. I'm gonna have to get all these pros and cons written down.

Thanks again.

My pennies worth;

Going back to the op, buy two newish second hand for your needs, a click for the Mrs and a PCX with some extras for yourself (probably can do for the price of a new PCX)

Personally the best buy or bang for your baht currently is the Honda Forza, it eats all opposition out there at the moment, not far off a Yam Tmax in performance yet half the price, but here we are talking BiG Scooters, the Mrs could ride it but how would you be if she dropped it on you, plus it can shift a bit so I wouldn't want my other half chancing it really.

The Honda & Yam you mention both good, but a PCX with extras second hand in good nick with low miles is the way to go IMO from what I think you are after (do you really need off road or just a dirt track??) they can all ride on dirt tracks. Off road? then you know already you need a crosser or something with decent suspension.

Would not touch a Lifan if you gave it me, they are $hite, in two years it would be <deleted> also Suzukis will loose a lot more if you are selling on, Thais like their Hondas No1 followed by Yamaha on the second hand market.

I have the Yamaha Nouvo elegance on an 09 plate, I got it six mths old off a Thai girl I know (she thought it was too big for her) Now has upgrades (suspension, Tyres, brakes, tuned aftermarket parts malossi/polini bits: variator, rollers, clutch etc) so is quick, also now have a Forza and that's just the Dogs Danglies, but use the Nouvo at night as the parking lads ram the fackers in around Patong , don't fancy me Forza getting scraped up just yet or coming back to find me Akropovic Can gone walkies either lol...

Had a quick look at the Forza on the Honda website. It is a big bike and probably too big for our needs. There's probably more chance of me dropping it that her. She's had a bike license for years. I've only been riding an old crosser up the beach with a few days of scooter driving in Thailand thrown in. I've not been on the road in the UK regularly for over 20 years. I've just been driving cars.

I'd be happier getting one brand new bike as we will have a car and I won't always be there because of work so one should be enough. The brand new bike will give us a warranty which will give her some peace of mind as there should be no unexpected breakdowns and bills to pay for repairs. If we find we are both fighting for who gets to use the bike the I'll know it's time for a second bike.

Thanks.

You'll find the Nouvo is more comfortable especially two up compared to the Click, as been mentioned the new Nouvo's are 125cc injection, the older Nouvo Elegance is 135cc carb'd

TBH then after just reading your last post, the Honda is better build quality and therefore probably the best buy in the final analysis, but you are doing the best idea, try them both (rent each for a month each if you can, live with them for a couple of weeks, they are very differant (shopping etc, and have their own quirks) that way you will know for sure, Good luck and enjoy! smile.png

Edited by Lokie

Not too many recommendations on what to buy, but a few observations/thoughts.

First, I'm having some trouble with terminology. "Scooter," to me, means something like a Vespa, or maybe the Taiwanese Sym. Little wheels. Most of the small bikes coming from the Japanese makers, I would term "motorbikes," including things such as Clicks.

These things said, my wife has a Sym Fiddle II. It's very Vespa like, with 10 or 12 inch wheels, floorboard, etc. Since I like to go a wee bit faster than slow, I'm not a really big fan of the thing. It can go fast, but the handling is kinda goofy so I woldn't recommend it.

Another detail: smaller wheels will get swallowed by potholes much more fully than will larger wheels. Consider: if the pothole is 7-8 inches deep, and the tire is 12-15 inches around, half the tire's gonna disappear into that hole, likely leading to an abrupt stop.

Suzuki: my wife used to have one of those. Hers was difficult to start each and every day. Meh. But the worst part was that Suzuki (the motorbike division) had almost no presence in Chiang Mai a year or two ago, and so getting parts for the thing was difficult. My guess is that Suzukis would continue to have about the lowest resale value around. For motorbikes and such, Yamaha and Honda would be much superior. Better still, of course, is to make sure you buy whatever locally, where it will be used. Then you'll know for sure you can get it serviced.

"Automatics" tend to use much more fuel than the semi-automatics -- the kind you shift, clutch or no. Almost twice as much, in my experience.

I suspect that really, you're buying a motorbike more for the girlfriend, and less for yourself. You'll just "use it sometimes." If that's the case, get whatever Honda or Yamaha makes her happy (possibly excepting color).

But if you're serious about going any real distance or off road much of the time, then a Kawasaki whatever would probably be much better, provided again that you buy it from a dealer in the town you'll live in. A 125 or 150 or 250 or whatever you can afford. (Go look at them with the gf, and see what she actually thinks, if you want. I'm guessing she'd like them well enough...) Bigger tires, more power, and depending on the model, more than enough seat room for two. Something such as that would be plenty good for Nan, Lampang, Chiang Mai, etc. I wouldn't even try to go to Bo Klua or Phayao on a Click or Nuovo or anything like that (though I did once go to Mae Hong Son on a Wave 100, two up even, but that's a different kinda bike than a Click or Nuovo).

Bikes still hanging around the house here: an old Wave 100, an old Mio 115, the new Sym 125, and a Ninja 650. Of the three small bikes, I might like the Mio best, for comfort and handling; the Wave second, for its raw economy. And too, the Sym is quite pretty, with lots of storage space. It just handles weird... I spend most of my time on the 650, of course. Did a 4,600KM trip back in November, down to Phetchabun, up and around Udon and Nong Khai, over to Nakhon Panhom, down to Mukdahen, back up to Kalasin, then to Roi Et, Ubon, Si Sa Ket, Surin, Sa Kaeo, down to Pattaya, then back north going around Bangkok up to Phitsanulok, etc. There might be a 250 somewhere I'd consider trying such a trip on. Nothing smaller.

Hope these comments help at least a bit. Have fun, and good luck!

Edited by RedQualia

"Automatics" tend to use much more fuel than the semi-automatics -- the kind you shift, clutch or no. Almost twice as much, in my experience.

My PCX150 averages 2.05 Litre per 100 km since new.

Still only a little less than 3000 km on it, I expect the fuel mileage to improve.

Once you've tried out the Zoomer X you probably won't like the feel of other scooters anymore. The wider Tyres and bigger handlebars make it feel very solid to ride. Hitting bumps and potholes with those wider wheels is a much more pleasurable experience.

For a larger Farang, I disagree. G/F"s family have Zoomer and PCX. I have ridden both and feel far more stable on the PCX. Zoomer is good for kids and smaller people IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by DILLIGAD
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the suggestions so far folks. I have narrowed the choices down to 2 bikes. The Honda Click 125 and the Yamaha Nouvo SX 125. The Honda for acceleration, fuel consumption, range, price. The Yamaha for looks, handling, wheel size, on board computer. The Honda is edging it slightly but with the difference in acceleration and fuel consumption being minimal and the fact that I will use the bike for short range country driving that would swing things back towards the Yamaha.

Before I declare the Yamaha the winner, does anyone have any opinions on Suzukis? The local town has one motorbike shop and he sells Suzuki bikes. I'll happily travel to the nearest large town to get a Yamaha but if Suzuki make a model of equal quality at a similar price it would be nice to buy the bike at the local shop. I'll check the internet for Suzukis but if anyone has any first hand experience of them then it would be nice to know what you thought of them.

Click and the Nouvo are in two different classes. Click is a lighter weight bike not designed for two people. The Nouvo is. Although they have similar power the Nouvo is a better handling, heavier duty bike. This is obvious with two shocks vs one on the Click.

Yamaha doesn't hold value as well as the click but if you're going to keep it for a long time that doesn't make any difference.

I own both of these bikes and prefer the Nouvo. Single rider most of the time, then it's a toss up. A heavy guy or a passenger on the back frequently? Nouvo.

My advice. Buy local. Don't get too caught up in product. A dealer nearby could possibly be the most important thing about buying your bike. Especially if your Thai lady friends have any trouble while you are out of town. Get it serviced there once in a while and it will be great piece of mind, and you are showing your respect for the community.

If that dealer is a Suzuki dealer, it is usually the lowest priced non-Chinese product there is. I priced out a Yamaha Spark 115 with elec start at a dealer for 39900 cash price. Thought the price was awesome until my friend's dad up in Issan bought a Suzuki Smash Revolution for what she said was 20,000 baht. I assume that it was the non elec, w/o front disc brake, and the price was more like twenty something thousand baht, but you get the picture. You will not likely be able to negotiate that, but full list price in 2012 was only 34500.

http://www.motorcycle.in.th/staticpages/index.php/Suzuki_Motorcycle_Price_List

Want Off pavement performance and bullet proof reliability? The shifter models are the way to go.

Edited by Phil Water

Just bought a 2012 click after lots of research and very happy with it. By far the nippiest 125cc scooter I tried - very economical. It does have really small wheels, but not a problem on average roads/tracks.

I was deciding between click and nouvo. Nouvo seemed a bit sluggish to me, and heavier.

I don't go above 80kmh on click and it seems stable enough.

Actually quite fun to drive (and I had a 650cc bike back in UK)

whytey13... I agree with you . I would go Japanese as well. But I sort of thought that the cheaper Chinese bikes would be a good idea for the original OP. There are some good cross-over ones as I said. I actually have had a Keeway for a while now (TX) and it has not given me any problems at all. Other than the usual servicing... nothing has broken or has the engine, clutch, fuel system, or anything else give me any issues to contend with. As a matter of fact the only things I had to 'fix' were the tightening of a few bolts that help on the non-major parts (mirrors, pinion foot rests and the like). Seems that those are put on here in Thailand. As for the Lifan... I know quite a few people that have them and they have reported only very minor issues but nothing that caused a headache. They are just decent cheap bikes that if taken care of will do the job. That is really all I was trying to get across. Their price will also mean that when your journey is done and you are on the way home, leaving it behind will not break the bank and will give you good memories rather than the possible guilt of leaving behind such an expensive motor and the hassle of finding someone to buy the thing. Hell... with a Lifan... just give it back to the dealer and say thank you it is all yours for free. I know 2 that have done just that after riding through Thai and Cam. It is like leaving that banger you got while traveling in OZ and leaving it in airport parking with the keys and note saying "help yourself".

Don't bother with a UK helmet, they are not designed for this climate and your head will bake. I know many people that have done exactly that. Only the cheap helmets here are rubbish, you do get what you pay for. I would would suggest a recognized make here and bank on spending around 7/15,000 baht, which is about what you would pay for a decent lid in the UK anyway. Happy to recommend a good shop in BKK if you want.

On the bikes BTW if you're going off road at all the only choice really is the Honda Zoomer which ticks all the boxes. The click and the Yamaha are really city scooters, they will do what you what but no where near as well. Otherwise the PCX is a lovely scooter, comfortable and the power from the new 150 CC engine is great. My main bike is a Ninja 650 and using the PCX 150 is a very comfortable ride and doesn't feel under powered at all.

SDM

Stay away from Chinese bikes unless your living right next to the corporate headquarters here in Thailand, ie Bangkok.

If you're living upcountry, check the deanship's service departments. Clean and organized? Dirty and disorganized? How's the customer service when you show up to ask questions?

Personally, Honda Wave's and Dream are solid bikes, and most dealerships I've had service my bike are good to excellent. I'd recommend Honda, but that's my bias. I've had cars and motorcycles. They're excellent products.

• Like 1