Gunfire and bomb explosions rock two protest sites in Bangkok

webfact

Gunfire and bomb explosions rock two protest sites

222184-imagejpeg-340386-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Gunshots were fired and small bombs were thrown at guards giving protection to anti-government protesters at Lard Phrao intersection and Chaengwattana but no one was hurt. But a ten-wheel truck parked in front of Lak Si district office was riddled with bullet holes on its front windshield and body.

The gun and bomb attack at Lard Phrao protest site happened at about 1.00a.m. today.

A dark Toyota Yaris sedan with no license plate was seen on the outbound lane of the Vibhavadi Rangsit road and was heading to Don Tollway gate. As the car was on the toll way, several shots were fired into the protesters’ guards, followed by a loud bomb explosion.

The car fled toward Don Muang.

The attack forced security guards of anti-government protesters to call in nearby soldiers to help in the inspection. Soldiers were then deployed on the flyover overlooking the protest site below to ensure security for protesters.

But two a half hours later, several gunshots were also heard, followed by another bomb explosion, forcing protesters nearby to run for cover. Nobody was hurt.

Meanwhile at the Chaengwattana protest site, a series of gunshots were heard before dawn today near the Laksi district office where protesters used a ten-wheel truck to blockade traffic at the front of the office. Inspection later found that the windshield of the ten-wheeler from Nakhon Pathom province was riddled with about 10 bullet holes. No one was hurt in the gun attack.

Security guards of the People’s Democratic Reform Committee were coordinating with the police and soldiers to inspect the damaged truck and collect evidence.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/gunfire-bomb-explosions-rock-two-protest-sites/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-02-01

• Like 1

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

judging by an amatourish performance, a big chance that locals are showing, what they think about bangkok shutdown.

wait till tomorrow for an escalation of violence around polling stations

Yes for sure, the average LOCALS have automatic riffles at home! cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Well, the "bombs" are actually ping pong balls filled with firework powder which any kid could create so I doubt the guns are automatic rifles. If they were we wouldn't constantly be hearing about these "attacks" that lead to no injuries. It is very likely to be p-ed off locals with amateurish weapons.

A post in violation of this forum rule has been removed:

31) Bangkok Post do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post publications will be deleted from the forum. Please note that this is a decision by the Bangkok Post, not by Thaivisa.com and any complaints or other issues concerning this rule should be directed to them. Quotes from and links to Phuketwan are also not allowed and will also be removed. In special cases forum Administrators or the news team may use these sources.

Can someone please give me a plausible explanation for why these attacks aren't hitting anyone?
I just can't believe that they could consistently miss their assumed targets with bullet after bullet after bullet, night after night.

If you fire a fully-automatic weapon into a crowd and you don't hit anyone, you should definitely consider turning the gun on yourself. You have failed at life.*

*Does it count as a flame if I'm insulting terrorists?

Edited by BeforeTigers
  • Like 2

May peace prevail against those cowardly attackers. Just glad that nobody got physically hurt this time. I guess, Thaksin must have seen the swelling numbers of protesters on bluesky TV and ASTV last night and decided to try to scare a few of them off again.

Funny, how the terrorists always get away here, even so, they are expected. I guess the police have their own "special deal" wai2.gif

Maybe this will answer your question:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/thailand/10606562/Thai-red-shirts-leader-says-Its-time-to-get-rid-of-the-elite.html

The Police have shown no inclination to help. In addition, where is the Army? Are the elite go to have to bring in their own private armies?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Can someone please give me a plausible explanation for why these attacks aren't hitting anyone?

I just can't believe that they could consistently miss their assumed targets with bullet after bullet after bullet, night after night.

If you fire a fully-automatic weapon into a crowd and you don't hit anyone, you should definitely consider turning the gun on yourself. You have failed at life.*

*Does it count as a flame if I'm insulting terrorists?

It's to scare the protesters, hoping their numbers will dwindle. They have been pulling sh*t like this, every time the numbers of protesters swell, like they did last night, on several stages. Thaksin knows, that if he lets too many more protesters get murdered by his red mob, there will be a coup, so now he is telling everyone just to scare people, not to kill them. Then again, I think, he will have a hard time keeping his pitbulls on a leash, as things keep going. wai2.gif

If it was to scare people why do it in the middle of the night when no one is around except the guards? Come on, ping pong "bombs" are not the work of anyone but total amateurs. And the guns are clearly not automatic rifles, they're probably the type carried by tech school kids.

judging by an amatourish performance, a big chance that locals are showing, what they think about bangkok shutdown.

wait till tomorrow for an escalation of violence around polling stations

Hmm, disgruntled locals. Occams razor says different.

I hope you're wrong on your second point, but I suspect you're not.