Convection microwave oven you would recommend (or avoid)

telstrareg

I'm thinking of buying a convection microwave because we have a fairly small kitchen and not sure where I could fit a toaster oven. Thing is you can't tell by looking at it in the shop whether the grilling feature works well or not. I've heard complaints about convection ovens such as - They don't grill evenly - or - just do a lousy job at grilling - compared to an ordinary toaster oven.

Any experiences, good or bad, with models available in Thailand would be appreciated.

I bought one of those turbo ovens,looks like a glass bowl with a robot on top!!

Paid around 1100bht,best purchase ever,have cooked roasts,baked bread,cooked pizza,pretty much anything a normal convection oven does.

Fits nice an easy on top of kitchen bench,and has a self clean feature on it as well.

Paid around 1100bht,best purchase ever,have cooked roasts,baked bread,cooked pizza,pretty much anything a normal convection oven does.

Fits nice an easy on top of kitchen bench,and has a self clean feature on it as well.

I, also bought a halogen oven recently,

fantastic!

Tesco lotus currently has an Otto branded oven for 990thb..

Personally I'm not so keen on floppy microwaved stuff.

Halogen oven cooks up lovely food.

I bought a Samsung combi (microwave, grill, fan convection) oven recently. It was on offer at one of the supermarkets and I paid about 4000B instead of the 6000B or so it would normally cost. I dont think anyone makes a combi convection/microwave for under 5000B list price here and they go up to 13000B or more.

It works well and makes good bread and baked potatoes (which is pretty much what I wanted the convection part for) and of course it is a perfectly good microwave oven and grill also.

About the only thing I would say against it is that the maximum temperature is only about 220 degrees, which is not as high as I would like for things like pizza or Yorkshire puddings etc. In fact I suspect that it doesnt actually get up to the full 220 degrees anyway.

I also thought about one of those hot air turbo oven things, but as I know nothing at all about them I decided not to get one. Also they dont replace a microwave and so would take up extra space rather than being a direct replacement. I could see it just being forgotten about in the back of a cupboard.

I, also bought a halogen oven recently,

fantastic!

Tesco lotus currently has an Otto branded oven for 990thb..

Personally I'm not so keen on floppy microwaved stuff.

Halogen oven cooks up lovely food.

I love my OTTO oven and you can cook so many things in it. It has been such great valuethumbsup.gif

I've also got a separate microwave oven only used occasionally for heating up precooked food.

I bought a Samsung combi (microwave, grill, fan convection) oven recently. It was on offer at one of the supermarkets and I paid about 4000B instead of the 6000B or so it would normally cost. I dont think anyone makes a combi convection/microwave for under 5000B list price here and they go up to 13000B or more.

It works well and makes good bread and baked potatoes (which is pretty much what I wanted the convection part for) and of course it is a perfectly good microwave oven and grill also.

About the only thing I would say against it is that the maximum temperature is only about 220 degrees, which is not as high as I would like for things like pizza or Yorkshire puddings etc. In fact I suspect that it doesnt actually get up to the full 220 degrees anyway.

I also thought about one of those hot air turbo oven things, but as I know nothing at all about them I decided not to get one. Also they dont replace a microwave and so would take up extra space rather than being a direct replacement. I could see it just being forgotten about in the back of a cupboard.

Hi, which model was that? Did you buy it at Big C?

Give a though as to where how are going to sit the oven. I have a Samsung sitting on my plastic fridge top. I was very wary about the heat affecting the plastic fridge top, but then I bought some fire retardent type mats (like for an ironing board) from one of the fixed price Japanese shops. Now when I put my hand under the mat onto the plastic fridge top, it never feels too hot.

Also found that the power consumption is right at the limit of my fuse rating, so power cuts out if I have the oven at full blast and then switch on the electric kettle.

However it is great to be able to do some small scale joint roasting.

I have a Sanyo convection oven/grill / microwave. @ 6000 baht 3 years ago. Superb. Even manages 9lb turkey at Xmas. Hot enough for pizza. I use it for Sunday roasts twice a week.

You get what you pay for !

Edited by iancnx

Samsung seem to have a good reputation is the feeling I'm getting around and about.

Does anyone have a negative experience to report with this or any other brand?

I bought a samsung combi about 5 years ago-12000baht, it blew up the second time it was used , my fault , one thing no one has mentioned , those micros get very hot , i set mine to roast a chicken / pots ,,, went to lotus for 15 mins ,,, it had over heated,,, so heads up , you will need lots of ventilation ,, i rarely use it anymore ,,,[ got it repaired ] bought a cheap one for coffee and reheating , oh , i had an overhead + a normal fan going . TIT .

Those halogen ovens seem ok , thanks for the info , must look into that , the wifes stand alone oven is broken [yes 5 years now ,hence the micro.] have to start doing some real cooking .

Samsung seem to have a good reputation is the feeling I'm getting around and about.

No, I think the major Korean manufacturers have got the right combination of quality control and value for price.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Microwaves are perfect for vegetables - a big plastic bowl with room for water (steamer) or two (one for spuds, one for other veg). Just 2000 baht is enough for a separate Microwave box (if you use it combined, you can't also microwave your carrots/broccoli at the same time...).

I found this out in England, dreams of doing roast chicken dinners with just a Microwave and hotplate... Expensive and not possible to microwave chicken and veg at the same time!

and the TOTAL power is limited... you cannot combine 800W Microwave 800W grill and convection with a single package.

Up to about 15,000 they're convection, not FAN ovens. (Panasonic are proud of their 'compact fanless design with top and bottom heaters and no turntable'. Google reveals that some people are angry that they don't quite live up to the 'even cooking' promises and can be worse than turntables...).

Halogen ovens are 'Turbo Fan' - you can put water in and turn them on (self cleaning) and the water will spin into a whirlpool almost. That means when you're cooking food, it's in a superheated tornado. Blows the Microwaves away!!!

Toaster ovens are what they are - okay for toast, weak excuses for a real oven. They're not a patch on the Halogen ovens.

I just cooked two Pork Loin steaks - about 1.5" thick - in 11 minutes. The result is nothing like my efforts with a combination grill/Microwave. It was simply stunning - faster than an oven - tasted so much better.

I'd say buy the Halogen cooker that has a frame - lift-up lid simply because it's safer and better. I wouldn't want to have to take off the lid and put it down somewhere (on a stand or whatever) - waste of effort and space.

Otto's top model (CO-717) has nice touch controls/digital readout and cost me 3015 in Central. Bonus - it comes with more accessories than just the internal racks. I got an extender ring (good for times you don't want the heater to brown the stuff too much) - non-stick tray, aluminium perforated tray, extender. The hinged lid and slightly higher power is well worth the extra dosh for me.

I bought a samsung combi about 5 years ago-12000baht, it blew up the second time it was used , my fault , one thing no one has mentioned , those micros get very hot , i set mine to roast a chicken / pots ,,, went to lotus for 15 mins ,,, it had over heated,,, so heads up , you will need lots of ventilation ,, i rarely use it anymore ,,,[ got it repaired ] bought a cheap one for coffee and reheating , oh , i had an overhead + a normal fan going . TIT .

Those halogen ovens seem ok , thanks for the info , must look into that , the wifes stand alone oven is broken [yes 5 years now ,hence the micro.] have to start doing some real cooking .

Watch out if you buy Cookie Mixes - I bought a 'Betty Crocker' Fudge Brownie Mix and it turned out nasty - ingredient amounts were wrong on the packet. Get a real recipe, and buy a nonstick cake tin - follow a YOUTUBE guide to get the right amounts.

The Halogen is incredibly different to an 'oven'. You can preheat, but it's not a big deal - so much faster, and plain glass bowl gives a perfect view of the food.

Just remember - when she takes the lid off (complete with cable/fan/halogen element and it is glass....) where does it go? it's hot. Google Otto CO-717 then decide how much you need to save money.

Up to about 15,000 they're convection, not FAN ovens. (Panasonic are proud of their 'compact fanless design with top and bottom heaters and no turntable'. Google reveals that some people are angry that they don't quite live up to the 'even cooking' promises and can be worse than turntables...).

Mine has a turntable and a fan, both of which function in convection mode. List price was about 6000B.

I had a combined microwave/grill/convection oven by Electrolux, and to be honest, the oven was rubbish. It got amazingly hot on the outside, but took forever to cook anything. Now, as I have the space, I have separate units. It's a bit like the old adage: something that claims to do many things, does none of them particularly well.

• 1 year later...

Bought a Samsung ME711K from Powerbuy Central Changwattana. Asked the guy if we could leave it there while finishing our shopping and we'd pick it up later. Sure, he said, and we'll take it out (from 6th floor) to taxi for you. Went back later, original guy gone. New guy wouldn't help with moving it. We struggled downstairs where a security guy helped us out to a taxi.

The model has analogue dials rather than digital read out. Now we find the timer dial sticks at 10 minutes. It will cook for ever if you don't intervene. In the process of contacting Samsung to see if they can get someone out here to fix it. Wish me luck!

I was given one as a wedding present..... fantastic little device, does almost everything and anything. Made a wicked rice pudding in there the other day.

• 4 months later...
On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2015 at 0:54 AM, ben2talk said:

2000 baht Samsung (about 950W) - nice, quiet, reliable.

Go to Macro. Don't waste money on fancy frills...

Recenty bought a Samsung steam and microwawe the highest priced one, excellent choice so far

• 1 month later...
On 28/02/2014 at 4:12 PM, cigar7 said:

any new recommendations for a microwave oven? Make and model?

Avoid Samsung had 3 all returned within 6 to 9 months all stopped working. Now have  sharp models had last one for 3 years still going song gave it to MIL bought a Sharp model 288  a month ago great machine touch control job new only to fit into newly decorated kitchen.