Bar Work In Thailand

bobbywig

You have no chance of working here 1) it would be illegal as you wont get a work visa, and 2) as you will have to compete with the thai staff who will work for 300b a day! why not just work in a bar in the western country where you are, save up and then enjoy thailand.

just kidding, I have read the OPs post and I know he is half thai so allowed to work here - but even so, i'd not want to work for 300b a day when I could earn more in a western country and spend it over here.. i'd stick to earning my money in a rich country and spending it in a poor one - or look for a better job than bar staff.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you understand what the bar scene is in Thailand especially Pattaya?

If you are a qualified sommelier or have some skill that is valued, then yes you can easily find a job in one of the better establishments Otherwise, you will end up in one of the low end bars where you will facilitate prostitution. All those little bars you see have staff who are there selling themselves. Unless the bar caters to people not interested in that, and they are few and far between, you will be assisting the local pimp. Think about it. Is this something you want on your c.v. or coming back to bite you on your buttocks when you move on to a career? If it doesn't matter to you, ok, but think long and hard about it, because the bar scene in the tourist zones are part and parcel of Thailand's corruption. Sooner or later someone will try and shake you down, or you will be asked to participate in activities you might find unpleasant. Your pay isn't going to be interesting unless you are prepared to do unsavoury things.

No doubt there will be those who disagree with me. However, I suggest you discuss it with someone from your family who knows Pattaya and who knows what the bar business is all about in the tourist zone. The reality is that working in the typical Thai bar is the same as having a visible tattoo and then trying to get a job at a Thai bank. It won't happen.

• Like 1

Yes, there is the list of prohibited jobs for foreigners. Basically you can't work what thais can

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

My Mother is Thai thou, so therefore im classed as Thai as im half Thai.

And im getting a Thai Visa/Passport soon!

before you get a thia passport you must have a thai birth certificate. then you must attend the thai embassy in your current country with both parents present - then the application will be sent to bangkok. and the ..............

As opposed to working while you don't make money?

Free advice: Don't work for free, and you generally do not have to work a lot harder to make more money.

Because i dont have enough money, not to work.

Well then you don't have enough money to work for free.

Yes, there is the list of prohibited jobs for foreigners. Basically you can't work what thais can

before you get a thia passport you must have a thai birth certificate. then you must attend the thai embassy in your current country with both parents present - then the application will be sent to bangkok. and the ..............

i dont have a Thai birth certificate, i was born in England

i dont have a Thai birth certificate, i was born in England

then you must apply for a thai birth certificate. because without a thai birth certificate you wont get a thai passport. you seem very naive.

goes like this: first you apply for a thai birth cert. need full details and paper work of both parents also details of grandparents. then whe and if you get thai birth cert you can apply for a thai passport.

doesnt matter that you were born in the uk. you can still get a thai birth cert. the hard bit is getting all the necessary paper work.

bottom line is - no thai birth certificate then no thai passport then no bar work

Edited by jonesthebaker

then you must apply for a thai birth certificate. because without a thai birth certificate you wont get a thai passport. you seem very naive.

goes like this: first you apply for a thai birth cert. need full details and paper work of both parents also details of grandparents. then whe and if you get thai birth cert you can apply for a thai passport.

doesnt matter that you were born in the uk. you can still get a thai birth cert. the hard bit is getting all the necessary paper work.

bottom line is - no thai birth certificate then no thai passport then no bar work

One - My life does not depend on this bar work, there is plenty other things i can do while im still here in Europe.

Iv actually visited the Thai Embassy once or Twice in London, as well as other places including Edinburgh, so they are well aware of who I and my Family are.

One - My life does not depend on this bar work, there is plenty other things i can do while im still here in Europe.

Iv actually visited the Thai Embassy once or Twice in London, as well as other places including Edinburgh, so they are well aware of who I and my Family are.

It's Walter Mitty!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by Skint

sorry you lost me there. i thought we were talking real world. no - sorry your breaking up agian . ccccckkckckckckckckck .......

I think you will find here in Thailand (well pattaya anyway) it is a matter of who you know rather than what you know regarding getting a bar job. I managed a bar 6 1/2 years for a guy I knew left and decided to go back to it at another bar just recently. In your post I think you said you just wanted to do it temporarily take time to sort the business visa and get a work permit issued so it may not be worth the trouble to the employer

Sent from my GT-I9200 using Tapatalk

sorry you lost me there. i thought we were talking real world. no - sorry your breaking up agian . ccccckkckckckckckckck .......

Sorry and what's not real about it?

after all it's MY Life.

whistling.gif You have no idea what you are talking about do you?

Firstly there are jobs that are reserved for Thais and foreigners are not allowed to do those jobs.

Better find out about that first, bartenders are part of the 'hospitality" service jobs and many if not all of those jobs are prohibited to non Thais.

Secondly, you will need to know Thai to communicate with the waiters and waitresses.

Thirdly, even if you do find a job, your salary will be half of what you would earn in your country.

And, fourthly, why would a bar owner want to hire you when he can probably find a Thai to work legally at half the salary you will want?

That's the reality of working here in Thailand, and you better learn it before you come to Thailand.

The reality of the situation is that even with good experience in your home country, you will be lucky to find a job in Thailand, and if you do expect half the alary that you would earn in your country.

There are schools in Thailand where Thais train for careers in the "Hospitality" industry, and they will always get a job before a foreigner does.

If you insist on coming to Thailand, bring enough money to support yourself for at least 6 months without finding a job, and have a ticket back to your home country when you arrive in case you run out of money before you find a job.

Seriously.

what you say was true when I got my first work permit seven years ago. But what foreigners can do and cannot do has changed a bit. Before my work permit would be issued a person from the Labor Department had to come into the bar take photos of me with the business sign of the business and me in the bar itself. He asked me to go behind the bar as I was doing work and at that point I questioned him as to the legality of me being behind the bar.

He replied my work permit will entitle me to do anything within that bar never used to be that way but as he was from the Labor Department doing my work permit I assume he knew what he was talking about

I have heard the same from another bar manager just recently I think times have changed

Edited by hereforgood

Firstly there are jobs that are reserved for Thais and foreigners are not allowed to do those jobs.

Better find out about that first, bartenders are part of the 'hospitality" service jobs and many if not all of those jobs are prohibited to non Thais.

Secondly, you will need to know Thai to communicate with the waiters and waitresses.

Thirdly, even if you do find a job, your salary will be half of what you would earn in your country.

And, fourthly, why would a bar owner want to hire you when he can probably find a Thai to work legally at half the salary you will want?

That's the reality of working here in Thailand, and you better learn it before you come to Thailand.

The reality of the situation is that even with good experience in your home country, you will be lucky to find a job in Thailand, and if you do expect half the alary that you would earn in your country.

There are schools in Thailand where Thais train for careers in the "Hospitality" industry, and they will always get a job before a foreigner does.

If you insist on coming to Thailand, bring enough money to support yourself for at least 6 months without finding a job, and have a ticket back to your home country when you arrive in case you run out of money before you find a job.

Seriously.

what you say was true when I got my first work permit seven years ago. But what foreigners can do and cannot do has changed a bit. Before my work permit would be issued a person from the Labor Department had to come into the bar take photos of me with the business sign of the business and me in the bar itself. He asked me to go behind the bar as I was doing work and at that point I questioned him as to the legality of me being behind the bar.

He replied my work permit will entitle me to do anything within that bar never used to be that way but as he was from the Labor Department doing my work permit I assume he knew what he was talking about

I have heard the same from another bar manager just recently I think times have changed

Sounds interesting.

I went out to eat the other evening in a restaurant connected to a wine shop and was surprised to see a farang serving food.

I'm Male.

And I'm 18 years old.

I'm planning on working in Thailand when I'm older as a holiday rep or for one of the airlines, its what I've trained for.

But I just want a little job so I can earn money while working.

Reality Check:

The legal age to work in a bar is 18.

The legal age to drink in a bar is 20.

In Pattaya, the only 18 year old males working in a bar are prostitutes. The bars do not need an 18 year old cleaning up, because that's what the barboys do when they do not have customers. 18 year olds do not work as bartenders, That is a job that is given to the older barboys when their buttocks begin to sag or when cosmetics are no longer sufficient to hid their age and they have lost appeal to the customers. The barboys are there to sit and drink with the customers. If you cannot sit and drink with a customer, or sell your body, generating a "barfine" aka revenue, you are no use to the bar.

No reputable airline is going to hire someone who has a history as a barboy.

Choose wisely, as you may regret your decision.

• Like 1

Oooh yes I forgot you need to be 20 to drink.

I hoping to work as a holiday represnative this summer, if not I'll become a bar boy, will I have what it take??

I don't know. Usually career expectancy is until you look an adult or contract a visible sign of the trade such as genital warts, herpes etc.

If you wish to have promiscuous same sex sexual relations, I suggest you consider a different line of work that is safer. I also suggest that you consider a different location. In any case, I anticipate a closure of this thread as it has run its own life expectancy.

BTW, if you want a real adventure, and want to meet cute guys your own age, consider the military. There are lots of places available in the units deployed in the south. My friend's unit has had 5 slots available this month alone. The experience looks good on the c.v. and you will be able to hang out with all the thai visa members who are former special forces once you get back to Pattaya and work in a bar. You can swap stories. Chok dee.

I hoping to work as a holiday represnative this summer, if not I'll become a bar boy, will I have what it take??

I don't know. Usually career expectancy is until you look an adult or contract a visible sign of the trade such as genital warts, herpes etc.

If you wish to have promiscuous same sex sexual relations, I suggest you consider a different line of work that is safer. I also suggest that you consider a different location. In any case, I anticipate a closure of this thread as it has run its own life expectancy.

BTW, if you want a real adventure, and want to meet cute guys your own age, consider the military. There are lots of places available in the units deployed in the south. My friend's unit has had 5 slots available this month alone. The experience looks good on the c.v. and you will be able to hang out with all the thai visa members who are former special forces once you get back to Pattaya and work in a bar. You can swap stories. Chok dee.

Ahhh I just want to be a holiday rep then it seems.or work for airlines in a few years time

One thing nobody has mentioned, is military service. You could be conscripted into the military for 2 years if you do not have the money to pay. When my step son had to go for the lotery, you might luck out and not get chosen, the going cost was about 40,000 baht. The airline job you want is a pipe dream. At 18 you have not been trained in anything, except maybe how to play with your willie.

One thing nobody has mentioned, is military service. You could be conscripted into the military for 2 years if you do not have the money to pay. When my step son had to go for the lotery, you might luck out and not get chosen, the going cost was about 40,000 baht. The airline job you want is a pipe dream. At 18 you have not been trained in anything, except maybe how to play with your willie.

It was mentioned on another thread.

And iv actually been trained in Travel and Tourism and have been doing it for a number of years...so pipe down.

Seriously.

Largely redundant indeed!

OP you now understand you need to seriously filter responses into categories labelled useful, irrelevant and useless.

He missed certain info from a post, calm down down guy's. Apart from that, there is a little conflicting points of view on the thread, it would be interesting to see the actual law, by someone who has the inside line.

Its truly amazing the amount of people who jump in at a drop of a hat to shit on peoples dreams and be negative, rather than offer some constructive helpful advice. Even if the constructive helpful advice is a kindly "it may not work out as you hope" approach, rather than "you have no idea what you are talking about" type posts (..and oh the irony!).
bobbywig, i really hope you can garner some constructive advice, and so sorry that you have to meet the vultures here.
You are young, you obviously are following your dream (with the course you are on etc), and you have the whole of your life in front of you (unlike many of the old grouchbags here who are sat on bar stools or in the sticks embittered, and love to take their frustration out on thaivisa).
Even though i sadly have no proper advice for you, i do wish you the best of luck!

Its truly amazing the amount of people who jump in at a drop of a hat to shit on peoples dreams and be negative, rather than offer some constructive helpful advice. Even if the constructive helpful advice is a kindly "it may not work out as you hope" approach, rather than "you have no idea what you are talking about" type posts (..and oh the irony!).

bobbywig, i really hope you can garner some constructive advice, and so sorry that you have to meet the vultures here.

You are young, you obviously are following your dream (with the course you are on etc), and you have the whole of your life in front of you (unlike many of the old grouchbags here who are sat on bar stools or in the sticks embittered, and love to take their frustration out on thaivisa).

Even though i sadly have no proper advice for you, i do wish you the best of luck!

i agree 100% with you.

alot of the people saying that "Its a dream" and thats all it ever will, even though iv been studying for years, it's not like im gonna come out there find a airline and hope to get a job with them, im gonna start of here for a good few years before i make a temporary move in the future.

and the fact that everyone who works in bars seems to be prostitutes or whatever, it's like some people on here are wanting me to end up doing that! hahah!

LaraC Id really like to Thank You, for taking you time to defend me or whatever you want to call it, it means alot and thanks for the best wishes.

@Bobbywig

Part of the problem is that here on TV (and most of the foreign population in Thailand)

from a language POV "bargirl" "working in a bar" etc equals prostitution or pimpling.

And to a large extent in practice that is true.

There are some exceptions, which is why some of the more helpful posters have been steering you to upscale establishments like Hotels, resorts like the Hard Rock etc. where it is more likely you won't be as exposed to that scene.

The other advice is to avoid Pattaya, since the entire foundations of that city's history was built on the back of the sex industry.

Being BOTH in the "bar business" and living in Pattaya will not be something you could put on a CV without causing many employers to assume you're a sex worker.

So buried among the hilarious slagfest posts here - as usual - is some valid advice.

You just need a thick skin and use common sense to separate the wheat from the chaff here.

Perfect example of a giggle-inducing question.

I have no idea what being a "holiday representative" would entail, maybe a tour guide?

And "bar boy" in Thailand would usually mean a young man providing sexual services, usually to gay tourists.

Do you mean "bus boy"? or bartender?

And how the heck would we have any idea if you "will I have what it takes"? Sounds pretty provocative in combination with the above connotation, almost like you're trolling for giggles.

All it takes IMO is the willingness to do hard physical labor for around B300 per day, if you get into a high-end place supplemented by tips. 12+ hour days, very few days off, maybe 2-3 per month.

Make sure you have all your Thai citizenship papers straightened out and at least six months' worth of expenses in the bank before giving it a go.

@Bobbywig

Part of the problem is that here on TV (and most of the foreign population in Thailand)

from a language POV "bargirl" "working in a bar" etc equals prostitution or pimpling.

And to a large extent in practice that is true.

There are some exceptions, which is why some of the more helpful posters have been steering you to upscale establishments like Hotels, resorts like the Hard Rock etc. where it is more likely you won't be as exposed to that scene.

The other advice is to avoid Pattaya, since the entire foundations of that city's history was built on the back of the sex industry.

Being BOTH in the "bar business" and living in Pattaya will not be something you could put on a CV without causing many employers to assume you're a sex worker.

So buried among the hilarious slagfest posts here - as usual - is some valid advice.

You just need a thick skin and use common sense to separate the wheat from the chaff here.

Ahh right thanks didnt know about the Thai TV Thingy!

and yeah id like to thank those posters too! :)

and yeah i quess so, i think it's just cause iv been before so i kind of know Pattaya!