Pheu Thai Chief Warns Of 'Conspiracy' To Nullify Election

Lite Beer

It will still be interesting to see what percentage of people voted & what percentage of those votes went to the various parties & the no vote.

Agreed, I myself wonder whether PTP will get more, or perhaps fewer, than 15.74 million on the proportional-vote.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gweiloman post # 93

So, said sister-in-law, who decided to vote NO (if I;m not mistaken, a NO vote is akin to an anti PT vote as PT is a corrupt govt) is very happy to accept money for her vote (corruption?) yet subsequently votes against that party that paid her (dishonest, as well as corrupt).

Considering your admiration for the P.T.P do you really think you are able to comment with a clear heart on matters of deceit and dishonesty/ Your hero's seem to practice recidivism with nary a pang of conscience.

So? Am I not allowed to admire parts of a govt's actions and policies while being disgusted with some other parts? Is there any party or individual out there that is faultless and spotless?

There was once a famous man who said something along the lines of "Let him that cast the first stone.................."

In any case, the post is not about me but an anti-corruption supporter who is happy to be a beneficiary of the very system she claims to despise. Hmmm.... I think I will add hypocrisy to corrupted and dishonest as well. God (or whoever) help Thailand.

It will still be interesting to see what percentage of people voted & what percentage of those votes went to the various parties & the no vote.

Agreed, I myself wonder whether PTP will get more, or perhaps fewer, than 15.74 million on the proportional-vote.

Indeed it will be interesting, as others have said the numbers matter regardless, if they want to try and nullify they had better be very very careful doing it. the country is extremely fragile at the moment there is only so much bs the electorate will take.

great there was no violence today i think yesterdays episode killed the PRDC movement dead, they will no doubt keep whining but no one is interested any longer...

Lets get the by elections over and hope the gov sets up a reform committee in which i have no doubt the dems will be invited to take part... or call for elections again in 6 - 12 mths allowing the dems to take part and contest it properly

And as part of the conspiracy Yingluck puts her ballot paper in the wrong box :

RT@teamkorn Apparently YL's vote is now invalid, she put her ballot in the wrong box (orange party list ballot goes in other box) pic.twitter.com/T5o3GLUt0I

BfdXLiuCUAE2bKd.jpg

And being worth one vote like all the rest thats earth shatteringly important is it ? I hate these photo ops when politicians go vote... like its so bloody important they do over the rest of the nation. coffee1.gif

RT@teamkorn Apparently YL's vote is now invalid, she put her ballot in the wrong box (orange party list ballot goes in other box) pic.twitter.com/T5o3GLUt0I

BfdXLiuCUAE2bKd.jpg

And being worth one vote like all the rest thats earth shatteringly important is it ? I hate these photo ops when politicians go vote... like its so bloody important they do over the rest of the nation. coffee1.gif

As a self confessed denizen of democracy, it is indeed important that the PM is shown screwing up the vote that she invested so much blood in

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

RT@tulsathit: A glimpse of Bkk results: A count in Chatuchak shows 67 votes for PT and 48 abstentions. via @chavarong

A very small sample.

BfdXLiuCUAE2bKd.jpg

Not that it is only one vote, it is about your beloved MP not being able to cast a vote without screwing it up.

She should at least have enough brain to be able to put the correct ballot in the correct box.

Indeed it will be interesting, as others have said the numbers matter regardless, if they want to try and nullify they had better be very very careful doing it. the country is extremely fragile at the moment there is only so much bs the electorate will take.

great there was no violence today i think yesterdays episode killed the PRDC movement dead, they will no doubt keep whining but no one is interested any longer...

Lets get the by elections over and hope the gov sets up a reform committee in which i have no doubt the dems will be invited to take part... or call for elections again in 6 - 12 mths allowing the dems to take part and contest it properly

Considering almost everyone considers all the politicians, including the ones that were active pre-2001 but co-opted by Thaksin, to be corrupt and self-serving, who would consider leaving badly needed reforms to them?

Far reaching and broad reforms are definitely needed to bring Thailand further, both politically and economically, but they should be discussed, formulated and proposed by representatives of Thai society, not members of the different corrupt clans.

• Like 1

It doesnt matter court or country. What he did say that matters is that if the laws didnt work for them they would ammend (change) them.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes, thanks, I do know that 'AMEND' (proper sp) means to change ... Now then, how about something constructive to say?

You were doing fine until your last sentence. The people who voted for the PTP last time will vote for them again (minus the farmers who have suffered from the rice pledging scheme/scam). They didn't do so last time out of fear and they won't this time. Those who are anti-PTP have the perfect excuse not to vote in BKK constituencies. I imagine that were all the polling stations open, the PTP popular vote would be slightly down on last time, given abstentions due to the Dems boycott and political deadlock. However, the PTP would still have a majority of seats.

However, we all know the election results will be annulled anyway, so this is all academic.

Sister-in-law just returned from voting in Ratchaburi - complained she only got 300 baht this time (someone is skimming off 200). Anyway, she voted NO. clap2.gif Politicians should not think their electorate is as stupid as they are.

So, said sister-in-law, who decided to vote NO (if I;m not mistaken, a NO vote is akin to an anti PT vote as PT is a corrupt govt) is very happy to accept money for her vote (corruption?) yet subsequently votes against that party that paid her (dishonest, as well as corrupt).

Hmmm......

Your clap2.gif icon seems to suggest that you agreed with her actions

give it a rest, more fool PTP for trying to buy any ones vote!

With all the violence around this election, with parts of the country under an Emergency Decree, with an election to be stressed out over a four months period at would seem, with NO results or tallies to be made public before all is done, with boxes of cast votes to be 'secured' for so long, who would be surprised if these elections will be annulled.

Some of us think that's why the EC made only token efforts to run these elections, to give the appearance of compliance with their job under the law.

Hence they're saying an election, which should take 60 days under the constitutiion may take another 4 months, for a total of 180 days = the time to run 3 full elections!!

Why 180 days? Perhaps because if they take 181, they can then annul the election under the 180 day rule.

Even if they ran another full election, it should only take 60 days according to the constitution and to normal practice. Yet here they are saying just to run the by elections will take a further 2 election cycles length?!

Some us of think that the EC has made the effort one could except in the current situation which in a way was created by the not-so-caretaking government itself.

As for the 60 days, 4 months, 180 days or whatever, later in February new 'advance voting'; sessions are planned. now that tells a lot about the status of these elections. Bloody waste of money, but then what was to be expected with this defunct government.

At yesterdays fighting, the army came and cleared the area, even of PDRC protestors, yet the voting boxes were not released. This shows the army can clear the protestors when they choose to, but EC has not asked them to clear the protestors from any of the sites.

How difficult is for EC to ask the army to clear an election site? Not difficult at all, but it's never asked.

Why would EC fail to even take a simple step like that, if it wanted to do its job?

New advanced voting sessions may be planned, but there is no prospect of the EC actually doing these. Will it ask the army to clear Sutheps mini mob?! I don't think so, do you? It didn't last time, so why would it ask for the sites to be cleared this time?

EC is saying it will take another 4 months to finish elections, i.e. 2 60 day complete election processes!

"It's not the people who vote that count. It's the people who count the votes." Joseph Starlin

Edited by BlueNoseCodger
  • Like 1

IMO. election (democracy) is one of the four pillars to fight corruption. The other is the progress and well being of the people. A judiciary free of politics. and a compassionate society.

Law or more laws is not the answer. Laws are made for those who are law abiding not the law breakers. Criminals are always ahead of the law. it only helps to prosecute and sentence. It is never a deterrent.

Education is not the solution either. Corrupt people are usually highly educated. Educating people on corruption only helps to understand what is and the consequence of corruption and in fact IMO increase corrupt practices.

I write this in context of the activity trying to block and nullify election and its result. People must be allowed to choose using their votes though democracy is not the only answer to all problems.

As democracy progress together with the progress on the well being (livelihoods) of the people, it becomes harder to encourage corruption. When we observe closely, people who are trying to avoid the people's right to elect are those who are corrupt. They are afraid of the people's mandate.

You are right that democracy is a pillar - and I'd say maybe the most important one.
The problem is that there has never been real democracy in Thailand because the politicians always know that the military/judiciary/armarta can step in and change the result if they don't like what the people decided, so the parties don't try too hard to develop good policies.
But real, absolute democracy (ironically, that's Suthep's phrase!) would mean that the people's decision is final. No recourse to 'higher authorities'. If your party loses at the ballot box it loses; if it wins it wins. No help from outside, no Army coming to the rescue like the 5th Cavalry, there's the final word: the People have spoken!
That would mean that if a party promised to fight corruption and was elected on that basis and didn't do it, then the voters could throw them out at the next election in favour of a party that promised to fight corruption more effectively, and the voters would know that they themselves have the power to make that change of regime.
Of course if it turns out that the majority of people in Thailand are happy with corruption then that's what they'll vote for! But I don't think that's what the majority do want.
  • Like 1

With all the violence around this election, with parts of the country under an Emergency Decree, with an election to be stressed out over a four months period at would seem, with NO results or tallies to be made public before all is done, with boxes of cast votes to be 'secured' for so long, who would be surprised if these elections will be annulled.

In your homeland when election results are contested for a seat, the recount can go through several stages, and take some time, all the while the ballots are held by the election officials. I can think of a couple that ended up in the courts in Canada, the USA and the UK after months of arguing. Those countries were able to maintain the integrity of the ballot boxes. I think Thailand can do the same.

Sister-in-law just returned from voting in Ratchaburi - complained she only got 300 baht this time (someone is skimming off 200). Anyway, she voted NO. clap2.gif Politicians should not think their electorate is as stupid as they are.

Hmmm......

I take it that you concede the point then?

UDD leader, Ko Tee.

Quoted as saying "I want there to be lots of violence to put an end to all this" and "I'm bored by speeches. It's time to clean the country, to get rid of the elite, all of them."

UDD principle #3 - To promote non-violence as our modus operandi for all activities.

He is supposed to set the example for his supporters as a leader yet he doesn't even adhere to his own principles.

A lot of votes for the PTP will be out of fear.

You were doing fine until your last sentence. The people who voted for the PTP last time will vote for them again (minus the farmers who have suffered from the rice pledging scheme/scam). They didn't do so last time out of fear and they won't this time. Those who are anti-PTP have the perfect excuse not to vote in BKK constituencies. I imagine that were all the polling stations open, the PTP popular vote would be slightly down on last time, given abstentions due to the Dems boycott and political deadlock. However, the PTP would still have a majority of seats.

However, we all know the election results will be annulled anyway, so this is all academic.

"They didn't do so last time out of fear and they won't this time."

BUT THEY DID do it out of fear. Fear that Thaksin and his regime would cut them off from the debt being served up as aid. And with little to know understanding of the crippling effects of debt, which are far worse than simply being poor but getting by, they voted against their own best interests. But it was motivated by fear of losing the propagandized 'concern' from the despot.

I tell you what...the result of this election is going to decide everything.

At the end of the day, let's see how many voted, how many poll stations was blocked and most importantly, who won the majority of votes.

When will the EC start broadcasting the results?

This election will not stand up, too many problems and not enough seats will be filled. It would be interesting to see what the voter turnout was and how many stayed away. Of course the PT will win a majority since they were the only main party running, so it is impossible for them to have lost. The EC can't broadcast the results with so many polls unable to be opened, they should be held first. The PT idea that they can do it again in a week is wishful thinking. By rushing into an election where it was easy to see that there would be problems the PT has given the courts every reason they need to nullify it. I did enjoy the story of Yingluck putting her ballots in the wrong boxes, that's one clever leader they've got.

It is very clear to me and must also be to Charupong and the rest of the government that the election will be annulled under Section 108 of the constitution.

Section 108 "...and such election day must be the same throughout the Kingdom."

From the Organic Act on election of members of the house of representatives and installation of senators:

Section 78 In the case where the polling at any polling station could not be made

because of the riot, flood, fire, force majeure or another case of necessity, if such event has

occurred prior to the election day, the Committee of polling station shall determine a new

polling place where the voters shall be able to cast a vote conveniently. If the new polling

place cannot be determined, the Committee of polling station shall announce the cancellation

of vote-casting in such station and shall forthwith report such incident to the Election

Commission.In the case where an incident under paragraph one occurs on the election day, the

Committee of constituency or the Committee of polling station shall announce the

cancellation of the vote-casting in such station and report such incident to the Election

Commission urgently.

The Election Commission shall forthwith determine a new polling day of such polling

station or decide differently in accordance with the rules and procedure prescribed by the

Election Commission.

In carrying out the action under paragraph three, if the Election Commission is of the

opinion that it cannot act in such a way to comply with the provisions of Section 8, it shall

provide a new vote-casting for such polling station as appropriate without having to conform

to the time limit as prescribed in paragraph three.

Why is time an issue ? 1 week is ample im sure you would agree leaving the country without an acting government isnt good. 1 week isnt hard or too soon its real simple and only in a few places. Get it done and move on

Actually, I think that the longer PTP is NOT the government the better. The only issues of urgency to be addressed are borrowing more money to pay for their failed rice policy, and extending it. Neither will benefit the country.

"Their goal is to nullify this election," Mr. Jarupong Ruengsuwan told reporters, "So be it ... No matter what the EC is doing, let them do it. It′s all a conspiracy"

Rattling a tin cup on the cell bars.

It's a conspiracy in itself to talk about conspiracies tis it not? Let's not speculate about speculation, or don't be too paranoid about rampant paranoia.

To late, I already suffer from paranoia, since the amnesty Bill or maybe Thaskin 06

Hmmm......

Are you trying to switch the accusation here? Only one party acted corruptly, the (PT) party offering the bribe, a criminal act.

AFAIK there is no law for taking money offered by corrupt fools, even if you consider it morally wrong. I wonder why?

Edited by JRSoul

Hmmm......

I take it that you concede the point then?

there is nothing to concede! We all know PTP like to buy votes! OH nice icon by the way, bit childish though!

IMO. election (democracy) is one of the four pillars to fight corruption. The other is the progress and well being of the people. A judiciary free of politics. and a compassionate society.

Law or more laws is not the answer. Laws are made for those who are law abiding not the law breakers. Criminals are always ahead of the law. it only helps to prosecute and sentence. It is never a deterrent.

Education is not the solution either. Corrupt people are usually highly educated. Educating people on corruption only helps to understand what is and the consequence of corruption and in fact IMO increase corrupt practices.

I write this in context of the activity trying to block and nullify election and its result. People must be allowed to choose using their votes though democracy is not the only answer to all problems.

As democracy progress together with the progress on the well being (livelihoods) of the people, it becomes harder to encourage corruption. When we observe closely, people who are trying to avoid the people's right to elect are those who are corrupt. They are afraid of the people's mandate.

The 4 pillars of democracy - Justice, Equity, freedoms, representative.

I think the PTP version has 4 horses with Thaksin astride the frontmost tossing the hearts of the rice farmers for his hounds to chew

icommunity - I'm sorry but what you posted above is complete nonesense

Nonsense?

You don't understand or you disagree? Perhaps specifying which part would be useful. I think that saying that "Justice, Equity, Freedem, Representation" are the 4 pillars of democracy is not nonsense. I don't think it's complete or even the way I would say it, however calling it nonsense is something I can't understand. The 4 horses bit is also clearly symbolism and understandable (agree or not, it's still a clear image).

The 4 pillars of democracy - Justice, Equity, freedoms, representative.

I think the PTP version has 4 horses with Thaksin astride the frontmost tossing the hearts of the rice farmers for his hounds to chew

icommunity - I'm sorry but what you posted above is complete nonesense

Nonsense?

You don't understand or you disagree? Perhaps specifying which part would be useful. I think that saying that "Justice, Equity, Freedem, Representation" are the 4 pillars of democracy is not nonsense. I don't think it's complete or even the way I would say it, however calling it nonsense is something I can't understand. The 4 horses bit is also clearly symbolism and understandable (agree or not, it's still a clear image).

Please note: I never used the word 'nonsense'. You must have meant someone else.

I don't disagree. I said election is a part of democracy. I was talking IMO, 4-pillars on combating or fighting corruption.

My the other three pillars are : the progress and well being of the people. A judiciary free of politics. and a compassionate society.

A democracy, of which election is a part, if does not lead to a government that bring progress and well being to the people will not discourage or make corruption difficult. When that is a reality, voters will vote them out with or without corruption.

People who are 'hungry' or concerned about their 'bread and butter' or 'rice and somtam' will not think or have the capacity to worry and fight corruption. Only after their basic needs are met will they rise to the level of awareness. I this case - political, social and judicial rights, duties and responsibilities.

The 4 horses symbolism or opinion is yours. I don't have that image of TRT/Thaksin. The image I see is that TRT/Thaksin was accepted and relevant because it is the first political party in Thai history that fulfill all their election promises.