Pregnant much sooner than expected- Where to have my baby!

snowpea83

So recently married, haven't yet applied for my O visa and now I'm pregnant! Not unhappy, just a lot quicker than we were planning and now I'm scared and honestly, just want my mum :(

I need to figure out where to have this baby. I love Thailand and it is home, but my gut tells me to have it in Australia, my heart tells me that I want my mum, my sisters , my aunts, my friends around me when it is born.

My partner and I currently live and work in a very remote location north of Chiang Rai, so finding a doctor who speaks english is going to be tough, we don't have any family network around us, mine or his. Pretty much the only thing keeping us here would be our jobs. But I am sure that my HR department here would fight tooth and nail before paying me maternity leave even though I am entitled to it, so sort of happy to say goodbye to them!

Our options as I see them are these:

1. Stay where we are until the baby is further along and then head back to Australia to have it. Stay for around three months and then come back to Thailand, but move to Chiang Mai to be close to his parents and better facilities.

Pros:

-free medicare for me and baby

-family and friends around

-the comforts of being in Australia, english speaking doctors etc

- can live with my parents for a while, meaning no accommodation costs.

Cons:

-Visa hassles for me and my partner. I would probably have to quit my job, loosing my visa and I'm not sure he could get 3 months leave either meaning he would have to quit his job which make getting an aussie visa harder.

-Cost of flights, baby, etc etc

-Having to establish ourselves in Chiang Mai when we return with a small baby.

-My partner worries about my ability to find a job once we get back to Thailand, he on the other hand will have greater job prospects if we go to Australia as I can get him some chefing experience in western restaurants there (he is a chef).

OR...

2. Move now to Chiang Mai, establish ourselves there now and find jobs etc. Hopefully build up a new network of friends. Have the baby in Chiang Mai and maybe my mum can come and stay with me for a while

Pros:

-Will be established in Chiang Mai prior to the birth of the baby.

-Will have his family around to help (although most of them only speak Garieng which I can't speak yet).

-No visa stuff to work out, I will apply for my non-O and it should all be fine.

Cons:

-Not sure of the cost of having a baby here, if I quit my job (which I would have too if we moved) I would not be covered by their insurance.

-None of my family around to help me.

-Setting up life in a new city is hard especially if your already pregnant and don't feel like doing anything because the nausea and heartburn are already making you feel like crap.

EEP!!!!

I guess what I would like most is to hear from other farang women on how they did it. Especially anyone in Chiang Mai who knows of good public (no money for private) hospitals with english speaking doctors and whether there are any support networks I can tap into.

Thanks in advance

Both of the options you outline are safe, I'm glad to see you are not contemplating having the baby in a remote area. In CM, least expensive and also best option in medical terms is Sripat/CMU Hospital. However it will be a "Thai-style" birth i.e,. might not be able to have your husband, mother etc present in the delivery room and so forth. That does depend ion the doctor though so is something to factor into your selection.

If it is a normal vaginal delivery, packages are usually in the 20,000-30,000 baht range, may be less at Sripat. A c-s and any complications of course ups the cost considerably. Worst case scenario, if the newborn is very premature or otherwise has serious problems, costs can go through the roof i.e. 7 figures. This is something to seriously consider. Odds are it won't happen but there is no way to be sure.

By far, actually the only choice, is to give birth in Australia. We had our baby in Chiang Mai and, unfortunately, my wife went into labor at 2:30AM. We were at a well known hospital but at that hour no doctor was available plus, the nurses were reluctant to wake the physician who was suppose to be on call. What a nightmare. After 2 hours the doctor showed up apologizing. Our son was born within 15 minutes of the doctor's arrival. We will NEVER go through that again. There is no visa problem for you once you return to Thailand if your husband is Thai. First your family will be involved in assisting, then upon your return to Thailand your husband's family will be involved. When you're ready you'll find a better place to work and your chef husband will have the additional cooking experience from Australia. Perfect!

• Like 1

The Australia option is probably the safest in terms of peace of mind, security and support (govt and family) but the Chiangmai option sounds good too.

I am an Aussie expat guy married to a Thai lady. We have been living in CM for 7 years and love it here. We have 3 boys (8, 6 & 3), The eldest was born in Chiangmai Ram which was great but a bit expensive.

His 2 brothers born at Rajavet Hospital in the city opposite Sheraton Holiday Inn. What a great hospital it is. Great doctors and staff and the prices about one third of RAM. All 3 by Cesarean section and masterfully delivered.

The rooms were great and just like staying in a condo.

Wishing you all the best in your choices and future.

If you do decide on the CM option send me a PM and we'll offer you whatever support we can ;-)

Kind of in a similar situation though I'm living in BKK. My partner (thai) and I are probably going to go back to the US to have the baby mainly because:

-better job opportunities

-free prenatal care/birth

-My family is there (though his family is in Thailand).

However, his visa might not be finished in time before the baby's due...so may have no choice but to have the baby here. It's a hard decision, I know. If you have the means of going back to australia...I would...but really only you can make that decision! :)

To me the CM option seems the best and least complicated? It depends how far North you are from CM? Most doctors have to speak English and many courses are run in English as at Mahidol. All the best for a successful delivery! I imagine his parents /family would be delighted and proud if you chose Thailand for the birth?

Make sure to find out about the rules for dual citizenship before you make any final decisions, if you can make sure your kid will qualify it may be beneficial to your kid in the future.

Agreed.

If the child is borne in Thailand then it is Thai and can do all the things (like owning land through inheritance) that a Thai national can do. If the child is borne in Australia it is an Australian citizen, can it then be granted Thai citizenship through the father?

These are the practical issues to consider which must be quite some way down your list of priorities at the moment.

Hope all goes well.

To me the CM option seems the best and least complicated? It depends how far North you are from CM? Most doctors have to speak English and many courses are run in English as at Mahidol. All the best for a successful delivery! I imagine his parents /family would be delighted and proud if you chose Thailand for the birth?

More important is he baby and well being of the mother. The family doesn't seem to have been much help to date otherwise she wouldn't be posting here. Moreover, Thai families may not closely involve themselves given that it seems the couple are not married.

Edited by Zodaka

Make sure to find out about the rules for dual citizenship before you make any final decisions, if you can make sure your kid will qualify it may be beneficial to your kid in the future.

Parents with different nationalities is good assurance that the child will hold dual citizenship - pretty standard world wide. A variation on that is being born in a country where both parents are foreigners, where triple nationality may apply.

My friends (Amer/Thai) son was born in Italy and the Italian Government contacted him when he reached maturity regarding service in the Italian military - Italian men, in Italy, are required to serve.

Yet another unhelpful trollish response deleted. OP is asking for some rather specific advice and not your unwanted and uninformed judgements on her life. cheers.

Another one like that will earn a formal warning.

• 1 month later...

So recently married, haven't yet applied for my O visa and now I'm pregnant! Not unhappy, just a lot quicker than we were planning and now I'm scared and honestly, just want my mum :(

I need to figure out where to have this baby. I love Thailand and it is home, but my gut tells me to have it in Australia, my heart tells me that I want my mum, my sisters , my aunts, my friends around me when it is born.

My partner and I currently live and work in a very remote location north of Chiang Rai, so finding a doctor who speaks english is going to be tough, we don't have any family network around us, mine or his. Pretty much the only thing keeping us here would be our jobs. But I am sure that my HR department here would fight tooth and nail before paying me maternity leave even though I am entitled to it, so sort of happy to say goodbye to them!

1. Stay where we are until the baby is further along and then head back to Australia to have it. Stay for around three months and then come back to Thailand, but move to Chiang Mai to be close to his parents and better facilities.

Pros:

Cons:

-Visa hassles for me and my partner. I would probably have to quit my job, loosing my visa and I'm not sure he could get 3 months leave either meaning he would have to quit his job which make getting an aussie visa harder.

-My partner worries about my ability to find a job once we get back to Thailand, he on the other hand will have greater job prospects if we go to Australia as I can get him some chefing experience in western restaurants there (he is a chef).

OR...

2. Move now to Chiang Mai, establish ourselves there now and find jobs etc. Hopefully build up a new network of friends. Have the baby in Chiang Mai and maybe my mum can come and stay with me for a while

Pros:

-Will have his family around to help (although most of them only speak Garieng which I can't speak yet).

-No visa stuff to work out, I will apply for my non-O and it should all be fine.

Cons:

-Not sure of the cost of having a baby here, if I quit my job (which I would have too if we moved) I would not be covered by their insurance.

-Setting up life in a new city is hard especially if your already pregnant and don't feel like doing anything because the nausea and heartburn are already making you feel like crap.

EEP!!!!

I guess what I would like most is to hear from other farang women on how they did it. Especially anyone in Chiang Mai who knows of good public (no money for private) hospitals with english speaking doctors and whether there are any support networks I can tap into.

Thanks in advance

Apply for the partner visa now- as you are pregnant you dnt have to prove 12 months co-inhabiting (living together) and you are married, which makes it even easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Move to Chiang Mai now and call your mum also to help you for sometime. All will be ok. All the best for you and the baby.

Actually wait until May if you were to go to Chiang Mai, no use polluting your girls lungs with all that dust & smoke. And it is REALLY BAD.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Both of the options you outline are safe, I'm glad to see you are not contemplating having the baby in a remote area. In CM, least expensive and also best option in medical terms is Sripat/CMU Hospital. However it will be a "Thai-style" birth i.e,. might not be able to have your husband, mother etc present in the delivery room and so forth. That does depend ion the doctor though so is something to factor into your selection.

If it is a normal vaginal delivery, packages are usually in the 20,000-30,000 baht range, may be less at Sripat. A c-s and any complications of course ups the cost considerably. Worst case scenario, if the newborn is very premature or otherwise has serious problems, costs can go through the roof i.e. 7 figures. This is something to seriously consider. Odds are it won't happen but there is no way to be sure.

My daughter was born at the government maternity hospital in Chiang Mai.

The cost for a uncomplicated vaginal delivery was about 3000 baht.....

• 2 weeks later...

Pros:

Cons:

OR...

Pros:

Cons:

EEP!!!!

Thanks in advance

Thought id also add that if you have a boy here in Thailand, with a Thai partner, they must report for military service at 21yo- even if he's out of the country.

• 3 weeks later...

Agreed.

If the child is borne in Thailand then it is Thai and can do all the things (like owning land through inheritance) that a Thai national can do. If the child is borne in Australia it is an Australian citizen, can it then be granted Thai citizenship through the father?

These are the practical issues to consider which must be quite some way down your list of priorities at the moment.

Hope all goes well.

Now there are three OMG posts which are complete rubbish.

This is the first of them!

If you are Australian by birth, then your child will receive Australian citizenship automatically (after you apply etc) no matter where the child is born.

If your partner is Thai, then Dual-Nationality applies.

post-104736-0-46784600-1397226611_thumb.

We just had TWINS, born in Thailand and received approval of their Citizenship, through the Australian Embassy in Bangkok today.

If you plan to have your child in Thailand, make sure you bring an Certified Copy of your Birth Certificate ... it's required for their Citizenship approval.

Indeed, feel free to PM me and I will help if I can.

I don't know everything ... but we jumped through some hurdles!

OH ... was the baby through an Assisted Pregnancy program? AI or IVF or the like?

The Embassy wants to see certified copies of both parents movements for the previous 12 months prior to the birth ... obvious reasons.

Apply for the partner visa now- as you are pregnant you dnt have to prove 12 months co-inhabiting (living together) and you are married, which makes it even easier.

Absolute rubbish.

What proof does the Australian government have that the baby being carried was being fathered by the person applying for the Partner Visa ... facepalm.gif

So, what the well meaning poster above was maybe trying to say was ...

Evidence of Relationship

• Written statements from the applicant and from the sponsor detailing the history of the relationship i.e. how, when and where the first meeting took place and how the relationship developed

• Written supporting statements from at least two people who are Australian citizens or permanent residents of Australia and who know you and your sponsor. These statements can be made on form 888 or as a Statutory Declaration.

• Evidence of contact/relationship with the sponsor (for example: letters with original envelopes, emails, telephone bills, photographs, money transfers, etc.)

• The marriage certificate, if married

• Evidence that the relationship has existed for a minimum of 12 months before the lodgement date of the application, if applying as de facto partner

DIAC_Partner_Migration_Visa

Now, that 12 month period maybe reduced if there are children born to the de-facto relationship ... not because you are pregnant.

I know this because we are just about to apply for a Partner Visa.

Read also this ... partners/evidence-of-relationship

Thought id also add that if you have a boy here in Thailand, with a Thai partner, they must report for military service at 21yo- even if he's out of the country.

The Rubbish tip is filling up.

There have been many threads in the General Forum that discuss this.

What if the child had done previous military service for Australia ... would the Thai government all the child to serve in their military?

Plus, if the child lives their adult life in Thailand up to the age of 30, there are other options.

If you don't find what you want with a search of the General forum ... contact a Member here named samran ... he used to be a Mod, Thai or 1/2 Thai, lives in Australia and well versed on the subject.

Hope that dispels a few myths and helps overall.

The Rubbish tip is filling up.

There have been many threads in the General Forum that discuss this.

What if the child had done previous military service for Australia ... would the Thai government all the child to serve in their military?

Plus, if the child lives their adult life in Thailand up to the age of 30, there are other options.

If you don't find what you want with a search of the General forum ... contact a Member here named samran ... he used to be a Mod, Thai or 1/2 Thai, lives in Australia and well versed on the subject.

Hope that dispels a few myths and helps

Find out facts before you dispel mine mate.

Edited by angiud
fixed quotes

Jeez, let the lady have her baby. Perhaps in 20 odd years military service shall be obsolete in all countries around the world.

Poor wee thing hasn't even been born yet.... and he's already got his uniform on.

Edited by Patsycat