New Zealand teen jailed in Thailand

webfact

You are across this matter, so is it factual that the guy and family moved to Australia last year? Seems a bit odd family/friends cannot/do not want to raise $2k to get out on bail. Thinking about it it's not just bail money, as they would need to pay for rental, food etc until Court appearance. As he would be travelling on NZ passport I assume NZ govt will buy a ticket to return upon release for later repayment

I never heard anything about where he or his family live now. Is that something that came up in the press elsewhere? But even if it is the case, does that make a difference here? It could be making tracking down his (separated) parents a bit slow? Your guess and my speculation?

I haven't spoken with my friend recently on this matter so no clue about the current status.

Yes, mentioned in the media link in the original OP. Just raised as so many do not appear to have read the link and keep going on about returning to NZ etc. Unless the guy receives a significant sentence, doubtful, he would be permitted to re-enter Oz.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, mentioned in the media link in the original OP. Just raised as so many do not appear to have read the link and keep going on about returning to NZ etc. Unless the guy receives a significant sentence, doubtful, he would be permitted to re-enter Oz.

On what grounds? That he had already 'emigrated' to Australia or that his crime in Thailand is one of severe moral turpitude? There's thousands of New Zealanders already resident and working in Australia and if they commit a crime, they invariably get booted out and back to their homeland New Zealand. Why would this kid get treated any different?

I reckon since he is still on his kiwi passport (that's why the kiwi embassy are keeping tabs now), as soon as his time served on remand, actual sentence and pre-deportation detention is all over with, he will be on a plane back to New Zealand.

Police had taken him into custody and charged him with theft in the night, which carries a stiffer sentence than theft during the day, Burns said.

"Apparently that's a worse charge if you do it at night-time rather than the day, it's a very serious crime."

If the theft had occurred during the day the maximum penalty, if found guilty, would be up to three years' imprisonment.

For theft in the night it was one to five years' imprisonment.

Amazing Thailand. Different penalties for the same offence judged by what time you commit it!

Very serious crime. Happens every week in Pattaya. I dont see these Thai youths getting 3-5 years

Actually by English Law there were two different crimes for breaking into a house depending on time of day. I do not know if this still applies.

Theft   Punished by restitution, the proportions of which are noted in 2   Sam. 12:6. If the thief could not pay the fine, he was to be   sold to a Hebrew master till he could pay (Ex. 22:1-4). A   night-thief might be smitten till he died, and there would be no   blood-guiltiness for him (22:2). A man-stealer was to be put to   death (21:16). All theft is forbidden (Ex. 20:15; 21:16; Lev.   19:11; Deut. 5:19; 24:7; Ps. 50:18; Zech. 5:3; Matt. 19:18; Rom.   13:9; Eph. 4:28; 1 Pet. 4:15).

is what the bible says good thing he did not do it in a strict religeous country

Edited by harrry

Hulkster, on 14 Feb 2014 - 09:32, said:Quote

The cheek of these Thai authorities.

I mean, has anyone told them that he's part-maori and from a broken family??

It's not his fault he stole something and was belligerent to police officers!!

It's society's.

And he was drunk too! Just a young man having some drinks with the boys to celebrate.

The bartenders would have seen that he was inebriated yet they kept selling alcohol to him!!

How is he to blame for any of this??

Nail, hammer, head, thumb.

Hadn't looked at it from that angle, stupid me.

Of course it was the bar girls fault, shocked that they haven't been implicated up 'til now..........................sad.png

Bar tenders here just mix the ingredients, the girls are the providers to the customers. Frankly, they should know better.......................blink.png

tongue.png

Edited by chrisinth

Hulkster, on 14 Feb 2014 - 09:32, said:Quote

The cheek of these Thai authorities.

I mean, has anyone told them that he's part-maori and from a broken family??

It's not his fault he stole something and was belligerent to police officers!!

It's society's.

And he was drunk too! Just a young man having some drinks with the boys to celebrate.

The bartenders would have seen that he was inebriated yet they kept selling alcohol to him!!

How is he to blame for any of this??

Nail, hammer, head, thumb.

Hadn't looked at it from that angle, stupid me.

Of course it was the bar girls fault, shocked that they haven't been implicated up 'til now..........................sad.png

Bar tenders here just mix the ingredients, the girls are the providers to the customers. Frankly, they should know better.......................blink.png

tongue.png

they should have given him something to make him sleep like the ladyboys do and then he would not have stolen the phone.