Thai-Indian business tycoon to be deported for protesting

Lite Beer

Best I can discern, the source of this 'news' is an unsourced tweet with no links from someone with the New York Times.

I'm not in any way a Yingluck fan, but something doesn't strike me as correct about the story.

The Nation seems to confirm this story. To wit:

Thai-Indian senior businessman to be deported for joining rally
February 4, 2014 4:22 pm
30226025-01_big.jpg

File photo

A Thai-Indian business tycoon, Sathit Segal, a core member of the anti-government protests, is to be deported for defying the state of emergency, a spokeswoman for the Centre for Maintaining Peace and Order (CMPO) said Tuesday.

The centre already ordered the Immigration Department and police to commence the procedures to deport Sathit.

Sathit, an ethnic Indian, has publicly and openly criticised the Yingluck government on a People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC( stage. The chairman of the ThaiIndian business association, he led protesters in Bangkok's business district.

On January 22, The caretaker government put Bangkok and part of its suburbs under a state of emergency that is to run two months. Earlier reports said Sathit and four others nonThai citizens faced deportation due to their active roles in the protests led by former Democrat MP Suthep Thaugsuban.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about all the Thai/Chinese who were protesting?

They are Thai citizens. This guy is a foreigner.

Yes,.. and they were once foreigners before they cunningly positioned themselves as permanent fixtures in the commercial fabric of the nation!

Ugly racism. I'm trying to imagine how Siam/Thailand would have turned out absent the enormously positive Chinese contribution (from the Chinese who arrived between c. 1850 and 1950).

That is as maybe. Let's not forget that they have done extremely nicely out of it too, and one could answer that the rules restricting entry for investors are a hindrance on the country now.

Not ready to compete. Hmmmm

Edited by Thai at Heart

My opinion...Anybody without rights to vote....cannot have rights to do any political activity.......even join any protests or political parade, without risking deportation...or at least some kind of problems if the protest becomes illegal or violent...In this case...this individual is not just a foreigner, its also a member of a public government institution participating in an anti-government movement. In my understanding....those are the rules, official or not, in most countries.

My opinion is that some who makes such a significant contribution to the economy, doubtlessly employing lots of people, investing, representing the business interests of much needed foreign investors etc, has a right to speak up.

No matter, he will leave, it will die down, he will pay and be allowed back in. His lawyer will successfully challenge this in the courts as discriminatory and abuse of power, he hasn't broken any law as per immigration act.

You mean if I don't want to be offended? It's easier, I'll just ignore your posts.

I don't ramble other users comparing them to Suthep or Thaksin just because they have different ideas.

Am official statement to police shown in an immigration office is not enough for you to ring a bell? How long have you been living in Thailand?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If you don't want to be offended by being called out on posting misinformation, that you notably haven't tried to defend. just stop posting it, simple.

For what it does concern my statement about the possible expulsion due to join violent protests, I will sure search some law links, but I remember very well of foreigner being expelled from some European countries joined protests which turned out violent...

About your statement:"Police, and especially Thai police, say all kinds of things that have no foundation in law. As zaphodbeeblebrox kindly shows in his post (nr.100) the legality of the police statement is dubious if based on the Immigration Act."

Sedition is against the law in most countries.

A foreigner in Thailand does not enjoy the same rights as a Thai that are provided by the Thai Constitution?

You want Rights ????????? I don't know why more foreigners don't understand, we are tolerated, that's all,forget this "guest" rubbish. Anyone who goes on a demonstration risks being thrown out

• Like 1

My best guest is that we foreigner are only here as either long or short term visitors, so enjoy the weather and all that come with it. in Canada we have a problem with foreigners as well they have too much freedom and they are trying to change our ways of living. So as far it goes with this Indian tycoon well,, either he will pull a lot of strings and connections and it will go unnoticed and stay or if the Thai government keep their rules of govern well they should throw him out.

I agree with the Thai regulation.

rkidlad, on 04 Feb 2014 - 15:12, said:

Which country are you living in?

For your information, they are Thai citizens.

Yes, I think the irony has gone over some people's heads.

Hi Costas. And the Turkish Cypriots. Are they Greek?

what could possibly go wrong ...the Indian Thais are a massive power base here and can cause serious problems ...PT are complete xxxxxx

Indian Thai yes but not Indian Indian. This guy is a foreigner and until now I dont think he is actually a Thai Indian tycoon. I know the top 5 - 6 Indian families in Thailand but never heard about him actually. If they are Srichawla, Narula etc they have every right to demonstrate in this country but if he is a Indian Tycoon who got involved in the politics in Thailand, he should be careful.

Right, NO foreigner have a right to go for protest, this is a Native Thai Nation issue and Business. That what I exactly hate in my country or back in Europe,foreigners come to our country's and going on the street to tell us what we should do and what there rights. <deleted> you all,if you don't like the country you visit then leave it !!!!!!

Really?

Many groups, including neo Nazis, the extreme left, the press and some others claim they are entitled to say exactly what they want because it`s freedom of speech. So we could say that the Indian guy is only exercising his right to free speech under a democratic system, whether he be a foreigner or not.

Do you believe that foreigners living in a foreign land should be excluded under the rights of free speech and expression and considered enemies of the state, even if their support for one group or another is peaceful?

The difference between most Western countries and Thailand is that in the West these countries are true democracies and even though Thailand under the Shinawatra regime tries to portray it`s self as a democracy, this is only so in the loosest sense.

Youre either for a true democracy that allows free speech for everyone without exceptions or youre not. There are no easy answers to the rights and wrongs of this.

Bingo! Godwins Law is never far away on Thaivisa!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

You mean if I don't want to be offended? It's easier, I'll just ignore your posts.

I don't ramble other users comparing them to Suthep or Thaksin just because they have different ideas.

Am official statement to police shown in an immigration office is not enough for you to ring a bell? How long have you been living in Thailand?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If you don't want to be offended by being called out on posting misinformation, that you notably haven't tried to defend. just stop posting it, simple.

For what it does concern my statement about the possible expulsion due to join violent protests, I will sure search some law links, but I remember very well of foreigner being expelled from some European countries joined protests which turned out violent...

About your statement:"Police, and especially Thai police, say all kinds of things that have no foundation in law. As zaphodbeeblebrox kindly shows in his post (nr.100) the legality of the police statement is dubious if based on the Immigration Act."

Sedition is against the law in most countries.

I think so, but seems for someone it's not anyway... I wouldn't be so idiot as a foreigner to go to protest on stage against the government of the country where I live...

Just my opinion.

A foreigner in Thailand does not enjoy the same rights as a Thai that are provided by the Thai Constitution?

You want Rights ????????? I don't know why more foreigners don't understand, we are tolerated, that's all,forget this "guest" rubbish. Anyone who goes on a demonstration risks being thrown out

Correct +1 - Thats why we have Thaivisa

Best I can discern, the source of this 'news' is an unsourced tweet with no links from someone with the New York Times.

I'm not in any way a Yingluck fan, but something doesn't strike me as correct about the story.

The Nation seems to confirm this story. To wit:

Thai-Indian senior businessman to be deported for joining rally
February 4, 2014 4:22 pm
30226025-01_big.jpg

File photo

A Thai-Indian business tycoon, Sathit Segal, a core member of the anti-government protests, is to be deported for defying the state of emergency, a spokeswoman for the Centre for Maintaining Peace and Order (CMPO) said Tuesday.

The centre already ordered the Immigration Department and police to commence the procedures to deport Sathit.

Sathit, an ethnic Indian, has publicly and openly criticised the Yingluck government on a People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC( stage. The chairman of the ThaiIndian business association, he led protesters in Bangkok's business district.

On January 22, The caretaker government put Bangkok and part of its suburbs under a state of emergency that is to run two months. Earlier reports said Sathit and four others nonThai citizens faced deportation due to their active roles in the protests led by former Democrat MP Suthep Thaugsuban.

He is described as a core member, And yet this is the 1st time i have heard of him... did i miss all his declarations or is he in fact no more than an infequent visiter.

I am always amused when some folks wax on about, "at least here in Thailand we are FREE, not like the Nanny State back home in _____ (fill in the blank)...

Back home, in those detestable Nanny States, people are free to assemble, voice their opinions and disagree.

Can we do that here?

• Like 1

I agree that there is no political mileage in this for PTP. At the same time I question the elastic definition of 'protest' that many posters are using. Blocking polling stations and otherwise obstructing the election is not protest; in most countries including Thailand it is an extremely serious criminal offence. I don't know if Mr Segal moved across from the general street protests to action at polling stations. If he did, that would be grounds for deportation in many countries.

Edited by citizen33

Dollars to donuts the root of this deportation is a business dispute we know nothing about.

Anyone believing the surface story is taking another sip of the Kool Aid.

No its just like any of us. We care about the country too. But the rules say we are supposed to stay out of it.

Doesn't mean the rules are right and he spoke up. He did it, he has to pay the price, but this is going to be funny to watch the government have to squirm about this.

Right, NO foreigner have a right to go for protest, this is a Native Thai Nation issue and Business. That what I exactly hate in my country or back in Europe,foreigners come to our country's and going on the street to tell us what we should do and what there rights. <deleted> you all,if you don't like the country you visit then leave it !!!!!!

What if you're a resident in that country? What if you pay taxes? At what point are people allowed rights? Or do you think they always have to be denied freedom of speech due to not being in that country?

Any one with any sense at all that has permission to stay in LOS and is business happy should stay at home and have a beer. coffee1.gif

...or a soft drink.

Dollars to donuts the root of this deportation is a business dispute we know nothing about.

No its just like any of us. We care about the country too. But the rules say we are supposed to stay out of it.

Doesn't mean the rules are right and he spoke up. He did it, he has to pay the price, but this is going to be funny to watch the government have to squirm about this.

I don't care at all, they can start killing each other and no complaints from me.

Start killing me ...... then I will complain and protest, oh, errr, that would be too late.

....very, very silly to do this. They were doing well , all things considered, in the international arena and now a childish, petulant, vindictive response. Doesn't help the cause one bit...

I agree with your choice of adjectives completely. It seems to me that the higher up the ladder these people climb, the the more vindictive they become. It seem to come to the point where, if they don't like your critical views of them then they will lash out rather than consider that they may need to correct or modify their own perspective.

I don't care at all, they can start killing each other and no complaints from me.

Start killing me ...... then I will complain and protest, oh, errr, that would be too late.

Very true. And I bring my influence to bear on my wife and family about how I see the rights and wrongs of it.

He should move in with Suthep. Seems the police can't lay a finger on him.

Right, NO foreigner have a right to go for protest, this is a Native Thai Nation issue and Business. That what I exactly hate in my country or back in Europe,foreigners come to our country's and going on the street to tell us what we should do and what there rights. xxxxxyou all,if you don't like the country you visit then leave it !!!!!!

Exepet the fact that we dont visit the country , we live here...

CMPO asks Immigration to deport anti-govt protest leader Satish Sehgal;

seek talks with PDRC to reopen Rama8 bridge Feb 6 /MCOT

I had dealings with Khun Satish in the early 1980s and believe he has dual nationality.

Decent chap, by the way, in my view.

Thai nationals can't be deported from Thailand.

Yes,.. and they were once foreigners before they cunningly positioned themselves as permanent fixtures in the commercial fabric of the nation!

Ugly racism. I'm trying to imagine how Siam/Thailand would have turned out absent the enormously positive Chinese contribution (from the Chinese who arrived between c. 1850 and 1950).

That is as maybe. Let's not forget that they have done extremely nicely out of it too, and one could answer that the rules restricting entry for investors are a hindrance on the country now.

Not ready to compete. Hmmmm

That's not the point at all. They brought great contributions to siam and thailand of course they reap the benefits i am truly sick of racists like you who somehow try to put down chinese contributions.

well so much for democracy.

You can be a part of our country, you cam make us money, but know where you stand...

you are not one of us! All men are not created equal, no inalienable rights here.

Clueless and disgraceful. Way to go PTP, your sort of only for Thai people after

their money of course. (pun intended) bah.gif

And this came as a surprise to you that farangs are treated differently from "real" Thai people? Foreigners are guests in the countries where they live and need to heed the rules of their residency. Sathit of all foreigners should have known that his active participation in Suthep's anti-government protests would endanger his visa; the government made an early announcement to that effect. And to put himself blatantly right out front of the anit-government protester crowd is just too much of a slap in the face of the government. I'm sure if events were reversed with Suthep as PM and Sathit supporting anti-Suthep government that he would still be deported.

They are Thai citizens. This guy is a foreigner.

I concur what's up with hating chinese? Chinese have done very well in thai society cos of their competence. Would this exact same person be complaining why are white people doing well in latin american countries while the negro population is below? It's disgusting sickening racism towards chinese people that should not be tolerated.

I had dealings with Khun Satish in the early 1980s and believe he has dual nationality.

I hope you are correct .. it should be amusing to see what excuses they use to get out of that one!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

India does not allow Dual nationality. So it seems he is going back.

Really?

Many groups, including neo Nazis, the extreme left, the press and some others claim they are entitled to say exactly what they want because it`s freedom of speech. So we could say that the Indian guy is only exercising his right to free speech under a democratic system, whether he be a foreigner or not.

Do you believe that foreigners living in a foreign land should be excluded under the rights of free speech and expression and considered enemies of the state, even if their support for one group or another is peaceful?

The difference between most Western countries and Thailand is that in the West these countries are true democracies and even though Thailand under the Shinawatra regime tries to portray it`s self as a democracy, this is only so in the loosest sense.

You’re either for a true democracy that allows free speech for everyone without exceptions or you’re not. There are no easy answers to the rights and wrongs of this.

Do you think if protests drag for months in your country (not sure where are you from anyway) and disrupt other citizen activities, a foreigner caught protesting would have been let free to disrupt YOUR country? No... I don't think so.

Someone mistakes freedom of speech, with freedom to do what the h_ell they want, that is not exactly the same thing.

As I said, it`s a difficult question to answer, it all depends on your opinion. If foreigners were to be completely excluded from political affairs in my countries they would more likely be considered as fascist states.

I am half English and half American, and in my countries there is no way that this farce would have been allowed to continue for so long anyway.

Could you imagine anti Government protesters marching on the White House or no 10 Downing Street? Or trying to shut down Washington or London? Believe me it will never happen or if it did, they wouldn’t get far because the protestors would be considered as a national threat, whether they be foreigners or nationals of those countries.

I live in Thailand and abide by it`s laws, always have, always will, but it doesn’t mean to say that in my mind I consider any of those in power or the protesters to have any credibility and I am sure many Thais feel the same way too.

And this is one big reason why I do not take one side or the other and the same should apply to all foreigners living in Thailand, taking into consideration that we have no statutory rights here anyway, so why become involved in this farce?

In the end it`s all down to common sense and thinking, may the best man win.

"I am half English and half American, and in my countries there is no way that this farce would have been allowed to continue for so long anyway."

I seem to remember, back in 2011, the Occupy protests lasting in both your home countries for several months (in some cities at least)... In one case, the protesters shut down a large port (Port of Oakland) and in other cases they blocked traffic, occupied banks and buildings, disrupted property auctions, etc. Not quite the same level of disruption as Suthep's protests at their height, but there's also a nastier history of police/protester violence in Bangkok, so it's understandable that the government may not want the BIB to disperse the protests by force. Didn't work out very well last time...

I hope you are correct .. it should be amusing to see what excuses they use to get out of that one!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes, it should be amusing. A sense of humour is a always a good thing. Many years ago the was a TV show called "Phetchart kwarm kiat" or "Executioner of boredom", which was first class hilarious political satire. I miss that show.