Thai-Indian business tycoon to be deported for protesting

Lite Beer

This is a reaction by the government, as it was to be expected.

Go after a soft target if you don't dare to go against the harder targets. Did I hear somebody mention Chalerm?

Scare minority business off supporting the opposition.

Go after older people, they are easier to scare.

But what I have been wondering all the time and now I saw a ticker-tape on BlueskyChannel about this: How can people send in their ideas and thoughts to the protest leaders, e.g. as e-mails? The ticker tape didn't show an address, though.

This way, intelligent people among the foreign supporters can also provide some input. Just make sure, your e-mail address is NOT in Thailand...

BlueSkyChannel did provide English text via the ticker tape, which makes it interesting to watch for all those, who can't understand the Thai of the speakers.

"This is a reaction by the government, as it was to be expected".

just because your paranoid don't mean they aren't after you!

This whole topic is getting weird. Indian man breaks rules gets deported. End of.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The title of the article is indeed completely misleading. This person is an Indian citizen - NOT THAI (and therefore, NOT "THAI-INDIAN")! If he really had a clue, he'd have carefully noted the repeated warnings from the government that all foreigners taking part in protests would face consequences. Hopefully he can return soon enough given that he's done much to help advance opportunities for both countries in the area of trade, etc. But otherwise I don't have much sympathy since he was so ignorant of the blatant warnings.

• Like 1

Hi guys,

I am not posting often, and I did some weeks ago about the same kind of matter.

I really do not understand why so people are questioning the Thai law regarding the Indian man to be deported.

When coming to live in Thailand, we all new the rules of the game. So, just play by the rules... ;-)

I am living here for 10 years, I am French and until the end I will be a French.

I am not Thai, I am not williing to become Thai, and I do not think that Thai government really wants me to become Thai.

And what?

I have never felt that Thailand doesn't want me as a resident, as long as my behaviour is respectful of Thai laws, and more generally respectful of Thailand and Thai citizens.

Doing that? No problem ;-)

I have a Thai wife, Thai friends, Thai colleagues.

I have opportunities to meet Thai people here and there. And one more time, I have no problem.

I should say, I do not have more problems that I could face in France.

Ok. I know that some of you will think that I am bothering and surely not matching with their opinion. Sorry wai.gif

I will tell them that as a French citizen, I am absolutely not happy with migrants coming to my country only to take advantage of our social care system while not respecting our institutions.

Yes, we are foreigners, surely uninvited ( nobody asked us to come ). So, we are guests only coffee1.gif

What is wrong with this? It doesn't mean bad at all. We simply aren't Thai citizens... And as foreigners, there are rules that we must follow.

For instance, we should not involve in private matters. Current protests and government supports are Thai private matters.

I will not want people to tell me how I must manage my family and private life. Surely, no one could come in my house to tell me where to set the fridge ;-)

Please, we are Foreigners.

Let's act like Foreigners. Just respect Thai people by not involving in their private matters.

Support our beloved. Try to bring calm where we see nervous situations. Try to lead our Thai friends to think by themselves rather than to just follow the crowd ( whatever the color whistling.gif ).

If we think that Foreigners, by their long history about democracy, can help Thai people to have a better vision of their future, just talk to them.

This above sentence should be re-checked, specially about history and democracy in western countries. Hehehehe.

As Foreigners, we should not be involved nor in protests not in opponents to protesters.

Just stay neutral, and live a clam life with our Thai family and friends.

All of this is a simple and calm reaction to what I read here and there.

I am very surprised by the so strong positions taken by some of our blog friends...

Cheers,

Claude

PS: Sorry for my poor English. French are not very good for that ;-(

Why did they write to Obama then? I note they didn't write to Hollande?

He's been a little tied up, or maybe he was doing the tying, recently....

Dear blogger,

Should I enter in your game by trying to find whatever stupid answer in a way to kick you, or should I just try to explain to you that your answer is miles from the topic and from a well educated adult trying to exchange some points of view with fellow foreigners living in Thailand.

Finally, I will skip the 2 possibilities, as I unfortunately feel ( maybe am I wrong ) that you will not be able to understand....

Cheers,

Claude ( the Frog )

Edited by clberger33

Hi guys,

I really do not understand why so people are questioning the Thai law regarding the Indian man to be deported.

When coming to live in Thailand, we all new the rules of the game. So, just play by the rules... ;-)

I am living here for 10 years, I am French and until the end I will be a French.

I am not Thai, I am not williing to become Thai, and I do not think that Thai government really wants me to become Thai.

And what?

I have never felt that Thailand doesn't want me as a resident, as long as my behaviour is respectful of Thai laws, and more generally respectful of Thailand and Thai citizens.

I have opportunities to meet Thai people here and there. And one more time, I have no problem.

Ok. I know that some of you will think that I am bothering and surely not matching with their opinion. Sorry wai.gif

I will tell them that as a French citizen, I am absolutely not happy with migrants coming to my country only to take advantage of our social care system while not respecting our institutions.

Yes, we are foreigners, surely uninvited ( nobody asked us to come ). So, we are guests only coffee1.gif

What is wrong with this? It doesn't mean bad at all. We simply aren't Thai citizens... And as foreigners, there are rules that we must follow.

For instance, we should not involve in private matters. Current protests and government supports are Thai private matters.

I will not want people to tell me how I must manage my family and private life. Surely, no one could come in my house to tell me where to set the fridge ;-)

Let's act like Foreigners. Just respect Thai people by not involving in their private matters.

Support our beloved. Try to bring calm where we see nervous situations. Try to lead our Thai friends to think by themselves rather than to just follow the crowd ( whatever the color whistling.gif ).

If we think that Foreigners, by their long history about democracy, can help Thai people to have a better vision of their future, just talk to them.

This above sentence should be re-checked, specially about history and democracy in western countries. Hehehehe.

As Foreigners, we should not be involved nor in protests not in opponents to protesters.

I am very surprised by the so strong positions taken by some of our blog friends...

Cheers,

Claude

Dear blogger,

Should I enter in your game by trying to find whatever stupid answer in a way to kick you, or should I just try to explain to you that your answer is miles from the topic and from a well educated adult trying to exchange some points of view with fellow foreigners living in Thailand.

Finally, I will skip the 2 possibilities, as I unfortunately feel ( maybe am I wrong ) that you will not be able to understand....

Cheers,

Claude ( the Frog )

If they don't want foreigners to interfere, why did they write to Obama?

Simple question? If they don't value his opinion, why make such a huge hoohah about writing to him?

Hi guys,

And what?

Cheers,

Claude

Dear blogger,

Cheers,

Claude ( the Frog )

Simple question? If they don't value his opinion, why make such a huge hoohah about writing to him?

Dear Friend,

Sense of Humour is a kind of art. Ones need for that to have strong basis and then have the talent to make then looking so light... I do not think you are this kind of very few people.

My answer was not even related to the possible contact with Mr. Obama ( as I am really not concerned... I do not know Mister Obama personally... ), but to your unfunny trial for "joke" about my President Hollande.

I found your "joke" in your post not really welcomed and quite offensive, as the topic of the current posts are not related with my President balls...

I do not know who you are and what is your nationality. Me I show who I am.

My nickname is clearly my Name, and I am proud to tell who I am and where I am from.

I think that when posting opinions, this is a basic courtesy that to let our interlocutors know who they are exchanging with.

So, no need for me to hide...

Then, and last, I never try to make jokes with the potential risk to hurt people.

If I want to hurt, I just write clear things with the straight purpose to hurt.

It is for sure a matter of education, or maybe the FRENCH Flair...

I will be happy to exchange some ideas with you if one day you can act with the same kind of respect and good manners,

Cheers,

Claude Berger

PS1: Sorry for my poor English. French are not very good for that ;-(

PS2: In French, I could have been stronger ;-)

Edited by clberger33

OPINION

Satish Sehgal: Move to Deport Satish from Thailand

By: Michael Jon

(A quick, unedited update.)

I saw an alert today that a Thai-Indian tycoon was to be deported for joining the protests. I immediately thought of Satish and called him. It is Satish.

Huge numbers of Thai people know that Satish has devoted massive efforts for decades to help improve Thailand. He has supported Royal Projects, the Monarchy, and the economy by helping to boost trade with India, for example.

Satish was born in Delhi and graduated from school there, but then moved to Thailand. He has lived here more than fifty years. He does not hold Thai citizenship and his passport is Indian. He said that his face appears Indian but his heart is Thai, and he is Thai.

During our talk, his two phones were ringing constantly with people showing concern. Finally he turned them off so that we could talk. Satish seemed at once deeply saddened and deeply worried. Saddened because he obviously loves Thailand and many people realize the charity and stimulation he brings, yet the government suddenly wants to kick him out after more than fifty years. Yet he never said a bad word about Yingluck, which was amazing. He did not appear angry at all.

I told Satish that he looks sad and worried to me, and he said that is right. He is not angry but very sad, and extremely worried about his 90 year-old mother. He lives with his mother and she needs him for care and company. He said he has lived with his mom for forty years and she needs to see him every day.

If the government deports him, he is worried about the care of his mother. She needs him, not a nurse.

He said that on 23 January, the DSI summoned him to DSI HQ on the 24th, only one day later. He happened to find the summons late at night pasted by his residence. He was unable to make it to DSI on such short notice.

He mentioned having advised six Thai governments, never taking sides, and often negotiating internationally on behalf of the Kingdom. He admires the King and saw the good things he brings to Thailand. Satish said that Thailand has the best King in the world and that Thai should be very proud to be Thai.

Satish does not yet know the charges. The government has not delivered any paperwork. I asked how he knows it is real, and he said it is all over the internet. He learned from the internet. I asked if he is 100% sure that this is not internet gossip. Satish said that he is 100% sure because he has friends in the right places who confirmed it.

This truly is sad.

Source: Michael Jon

https://www.facebook.com/MichaelYonFanPage

The PT party wants to get rid of genuinely good people like this guy while bringing back the likes of Thaksin: a good way to get your country into a cultural/moral trade deficit.

What about all the Thai/Chinese who were protesting?

You mean the all those 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th generation descendants of Chinese immigrants who can barely speak a word of Chinese and hold Thai citizenship?

The only place they'll ever get deported to is Thailand. Unlike Mr. Sehgal, who amazes me for not having obtained Thai citizenship in the 55 years that he's been here.

He chose the wrong camp, probably believing Suthep who said "millions" of Thais joined the protests.

All those who supported the violent push to overthrow the elected government, and democracy as a whole, should be punished harshly, foreigners included.

Sent from my iPhone...

Hi guys,

And what?

Cheers,

Claude

Dear blogger,

Cheers,

Claude ( the Frog )

It's just a cynical ploy to try and get international publicity. They also want to make it look like Obama is their friend so that the 'international community' will side with them against the protestors and give the propaganda to foreign media that they want the rest of the world to believe.

You mean the all those 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th generation descendants of Chinese immigrants who can barely speak a word of Chinese and hold Thai citizenship?

The only place they'll ever get deported to is Thailand. Unlike Mr. Sehgal, who amazes me for not having obtained Thai citizenship in the 55 years that he's been here.

Isn't it amazing that, apparently, a significant number of posters on TV.com don't seem to realize that 30% of the gene pool in the lower Chaophraya River valley and points south is "Chinese" in origin? "They" became Thai a long, long time ago. Even the... (oops, can't go there...)

• Like 2

What the hell is Hi Park?

That's what I was wondering. From now on, why doesn't the Thai government hire some foreigners who obviously have far superior English skills to translate and/or write signs that use proper English that avoids all this confusion. Reading the same sign in Thai (and even Lao) I can understand the meaning but the English version is totally confusing and looks like it was written by someone who was drunk and rather lazy; basically he/she wrote something that looks like it's English and didn't bother to check for accuracy of what was written.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

What the hell is Hi Park?

That's what I was wondering. From now on, why doesn't the Thai government hire some foreigners who obviously have far superior English skills to translate and/or write signs that use proper English that avoids all this confusion. Reading the same sign in Thai (and even Lao) I can understand the meaning but the English version is totally confusing and looks like it was written by someone who was half drunk.

I think they are referring to Speakers corner near Hyde Park where it is historically a place for for the people to exercise public free speech.

I.e. the sign means , shut up.

I don't agree with this. I think it's petty. However, this guy was a leader who made speeches rather than just a guy who came to blow a whistle. If you look his name up, there's a profile of him in the BKK Post written about a week ago. He also had the idea of going to the NE to distribute pictures of the King to 'ignorant red shirts' who've been misled by corrupt politicians. He believes that will make people more informed. As I say, I don't agree with this at all, he's been in Thailand for 30 years or so. However, he's been more active than Conor Purcell was in 2010 and he got deported after being jailed for three months IIRC. If that's the rule for foreigners, should an exception really be made in this case? After all, most of us here are arguing for the law to be applied equally to everyone regardless of social background and status.

• Like 2

It is a shame - though completely consistent with the history of Pheu Thai - that they should follow a path of complete intolerance when it comes to free expression - particularly if it is contrary to their narrative. If it supports it, of course, it is wholeheartedly embraced ! Free expression has a peculiarly Pheu Thai definition in these circumstances. And so the extreme solution - deportation - is gleefully adopted. A great diplomatic message to India, the world's largest democracy. The Yingluck administration is completely impotent when it comes to stifling the views of the people on the streets - who because they are Thai are not subject to Pheu Thai deportation. But in an effort to convince themselves that they are capable to stifling anything, they go after the foreigners who might happen to show up. Doubtless many will be viewing this event as a strange kind of victory for the administration - although what kind only they will know. Others, though, will steadfastly and confidently maintain that free expression is the bedrock of democracy and will view this story for what it is - a startling Orwellian reflex from an administration that just oversaw the most disunified election in its history.

OK I found a link. Aussie deported for joining Red Shirt protests in 2010 in defiance of an emergency decree: http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-world/thailand-to-deport-aussie-protester-20100820-138l5.html And my recollection is that it was a certain Mr Abhisit in charge at the time. So where does that leave the anti-PTP analysis/rant?

True - but it is a little different walking about with a club, walking up to a news reported and proclaiming they were going to go and burn down the Central - the night that someone did indeed burn it down; and a guy that announces his love for the Thai King and his hatred of corruption. Hard to see where an argument against either point is one to advertise.

Seems they are making a statement, "shut up and stay out" - sage advice I think. He should have stayed out of the light, or taken that Thai citizenship first me thinks - but to the guy he said earlier that only people with the right to vote should be involved in protest, where would that have left abolition and the Suffragettes?

It is a shame - though completely consistent with the history of Pheu Thai - that they should follow a path of complete intolerance when it comes to free expression - particularly if it is contrary to their narrative. If it supports it, of course, it is wholeheartedly embraced ! Free expression has a peculiarly Pheu Thai definition in these circumstances. And so the extreme solution - deportation - is gleefully adopted. A great diplomatic message to India, the world's largest democracy. The Yingluck administration is completely impotent when it comes to stifling the views of the people on the streets - who because they are Thai are not subject to Pheu Thai deportation. But in an effort to convince themselves that they are capable to stifling anything, they go after the foreigners who might happen to show up. Doubtless many will be viewing this event as a strange kind of victory for the administration - although what kind only they will know. Others, though, will steadfastly and confidently maintain that free expression is the bedrock of democracy and will view this story for what it is - a startling Orwellian reflex from an administration that just oversaw the most disunified election in its history.

OK I found a link. Aussie deported for joining Red Shirt protests in 2010 in defiance of an emergency decree: http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-world/thailand-to-deport-aussie-protester-20100820-138l5.html And my recollection is that it was a certain Mr Abhisit in charge at the time. So where does that leave the anti-PTP analysis/rant?

VERY BIG difference between some random teacher who has been here 10 minutes and a very respected business leader who has dedicated his life to this country. Don't even try and compare. Imagine how much of his tax money and his friends, colleagues and members of chambers etc. has been stolen and wasted by the corrupt government ? Though we are foreigners, stupidity and crime affects all of us. We should have a right to at least speak our opinion free of worry. If you have Thai family, if you have a long established business, if you have some major stake in the future of the country, your opinion should count regardless of rights to vote or not. However I do believe as soon as you marry into a Thai family, as long as you remain legally a part of that family, you should have a right to vote and visas should be made easier for you, you should get almost the same rights as Thai citizens. This country needs a major overhaul in many respects. Anyway this Indian gentleman is worth more than the entire Shin clan combined.

Irrelevant who he is. If you supported the jailing and subsequent deportation of Connor Purcell (which the vast majority of anti-red posters on here did), then you can't complain about this. Not whilst claiming to be concerned about the equal application of the law anyway. Why should a hi-so Indian businessman have more rights than a broke Aussie teacher?

• Like 1

True - but it is a little different walking about with a club, walking up to a news reported and proclaiming they were going to go and burn down the Central - the night that someone did indeed burn it down; and a guy that announces his love for the Thai King and his hatred of corruption. Hard to see where an argument against either point is one to advertise.

Seems they are making a statement, "shut up and stay out" - sage advice I think. He should have stayed out of the light, or taken that Thai citizenship first me thinks - but to the guy he said earlier that only people with the right to vote should be involved in protest, where would that have left abolition and the Suffragettes?

That was Jeff Savage, not Connor Purcell. All Purcell did was go up on stage and say that he saw the army shooting people on April 10th. There's no indication he was involved in violence.

I didn't read the article... but the title states "Thai-Indian". If he has double citizen-ship (which is possible in opposite what everybody says), is it possible to be deported????

As far as I know, he's been living almost his entire life in Thailand but never applied for nationality

So the Nation has been deliberately clouding the issue by referring to him as "Thai-Indian" and "ethnic Indian". There is a clear implication that he is both Thai and Indian. Why are they unable to simply blame the foreigner in this instance like they so readily do elsewhere...?

Very nice ......thats very good for the democratic image of the actual government.this person wont protest anymore but others on the road are coming soon claiming for their money and those are not indians , they are thai farmers....so the nightmare is far to be finished.

good day and good night

coffee1.gif

it has been clearly stated in the press and the TV that any foreigner who takes part in the protests, will be deported. you would think that he knew that!

Doesn't make it right does it? All the paranoid weirdos here who are constantly call Supthep a fascist should really have a good look at this...

Just to not make it a political quarrel, I will remember you the same rule was expressed during Abhisit government and 2010 clashes...

Indeed.

"Suthep stated that there were reports of others being brought in to protest against Abhisit on his trip to Chiang Mai on November 28. Suthep warns the protest letters not to allow others who are not Thais to protest because it is not possible to communicate with such people* and they cannot be controlled. They may also create problems.

Suthep also wanted to pass a message onto non-Thais that peaceful protests under the constitution was limited to Thais only. Therefore, if a foreigner protests, they have broken the law."

There you have it, from the man himself. Even during a peaceful protest, a foreigner is breaking the law. Satish is also a leader, not someone that just got up on stage once or twice (like Connor Purcell) or stood in the crowd blowing a whistle.

http://asiancorrespondent.com/25143/non-thais-to-protest-with-the-reds/

• Like 1

This is a reaction by the government, as it was to be expected.

"This is a reaction by the government, as it was to be expected".

just because your paranoid don't mean they aren't after you!

This whole topic is getting weird. Indian man breaks rules gets deported. End of.

Sure this was to be expected. For one, as I explained, they will (and the other side as well, don't worry!) go after the soft targets first.

And else, the Thais are verry fickle, when it comes to Thai "national issues". See the fight with Camboland over 5 km2.

You may stay here, you may help Thais, but you are not supposed to criticize anybody or anything. BTW it is like that in most countries around the world, and the lower the selfesteem, the more nationalistic people tend to be.

The government people are already loosing face every day, that Thailand can not be governed the way they would like it to be. So the absolute least thing they need is some (formal) foreigner publicly making them loose even more face. I don't condone any kind of censorship, but he should have seen this coming.

This sentence about paranoid: Are you sure it is not mis-spelled? It doesn't make sense to me...

That was Jeff Savage, not Connor Purcell. All Purcell did was go up on stage and say that he saw the army shooting people on April 10th. There's no indication he was involved in violence.

Mea culpa - (bloody farangs all look alike to me :))

• Like 1

They are Thai citizens. This guy is a foreigner.

I hope they do the same to all the farang douchebags who have joined in the protests as well.

What about the "farang douchbags" who have a legal business and pay taxes to the government, they should be denied a voice? What's the point of paying taxes if you're not allowed to voice your opinion.

Sounds fair.

I hope they do the same to all the farang douchebags who have joined in the protests as well.

Problem is, I have little doubt if a farang walked around proclaiming that yingluck rocks they would get away with it.

It is thus by definition illegal to protest against the sitting government of the day, of any description.

What about the "farang douchbags" who have a legal business and pay taxes to the government, they should be denied a voice? What's the point of paying taxes if you're not allowed to voice your opinion.

Sounds fair.

Hardly original. Taxation without representation is 100s of years old. No sale on Thailand..