Thai-Indian business tycoon to be deported for protesting

Lite Beer

While I basically agree that a foreigner should not become actively involved in local politics, I don't know to what extend and how this man has been involved.

Was he joining protest marches, held speeches on PDRC stages, occupied government offices, obstructed voting? I believe not and would assume that he merely supported PDRC verbally. And if that is reason enough for the current caretaker government to deport him, then I really must say that it is an entirely unjustified move and that it will come to bite PTP.

They shouldn't underestimate the powerful Indian business community here in Thailand, and I am talking about "Indian-Thai citizens".

As usual, PTP has once again shown that they act first and think later (if they ever think, that is, and don't just leave the thinking part to... well, you know who).

It's the law, not just PTP law, same thing happened to a couple of farangs in 2010.

Thais don't give a monkeys <deleted> or a fishes tit about foreigners, he should have known that!

Edited by fasteddie

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would never criticize or insult anyone when I am in their home, and I would expect the same courtesy when others are visiting mine.

If someone criticize or disrespect me in front of my family at my house, they will be asked to leave no matter they are invited or not.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The message was clear before the protests, any foreigner caught in protests would be deported. He got what he deserves and cannot claim he was not advised beforehand

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

How do you have to be involved?

I was walking through the protest area in Pratunam Siam mall This weekend so I could get to MBK, Siam, and Central World.

Was on shopping quest for the wife in BKK for three days.

There was a massive amount of foreigners walking around shopping and taking pictures..

Im sure that they dont mean doing these things...

Where do they draw line? <--------- honest question ..... What would you have to do to be considered a protester?

I do have to say that If the government tries to break up the protests in Pratunam they will be dealing with a lot of foreigners.

This area is not even shut down... all shops and businesses are open and crowded.

Its now a big street market with a stage..

Anyone that says they are shutting down Bangkok and ruining the economy and local businesses is full of it!

Well maybe with people afraid to come to bkk or go to these areas. I do understand that they will be affected but its really

not as bad there as news and posters here believe it to be.

They are just closing the street and gathering for speeches and music.

This does not mean i support the protesters or anti protesters I'm just telling what I felt and Thought.

If you're with the protesters, you're a protester! Enjoy your flight.

STATE OF EMERGENCY
Indian businessman and protesting monk face repercussions
The Nation February 5, 2014 1:00 am

BANGKOK: -- A senior Indian businessman who has participated in anti-government rallies will be deported for defying the state of emergency, a spokeswoman for the Centre for Maintaining Peace and Order (CMPO) said yesterday.

The centre has already ordered the Immigration Department and police to commence procedures to deport Satish Sehgal, who is chairman of the Thai-Indian Business Association, the spokeswoman Pol Lt Colonel Anchulee Theerawongpaisan said.

Sathit meanwhile said he halted all political activities after the government invoked the emergency decree.

Meanwhile, protest leader Phra Buddha Issara, abbot of Wat Or Noi in Nakhon Pathom, has allegedly committed ecclesiastical and criminal offences and could be immediately defrocked, National Office of Buddhism director Nopparat Benchawattananant said yesterday.

The Criminal Court will decide at 1.30pm tomorrow whether to issue an arrest warrant for the monk.

Caretaker Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul said the monk would be arrested once the Criminal Court issued an arrest warrant for him.

The Department of Special Investigation has issued a summons for the abbot to face charges of insurrection.

Nopparat said any monk committing criminal offences could be defrocked if not released on bail.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-02-05

Right, NO foreigner have a right to go for protest, this is a Native Thai Nation issue and Business. That what I exactly hate in my country or back in Europe,foreigners come to our country's and going on the street to tell us what we should do and what there rights. &lt;deleted&gt; you all,if you don't like the country you visit then leave it !!!!!!

Really?

Many groups, including neo Nazis, the extreme left, the press and some others claim they are entitled to say exactly what they want because it`s freedom of speech. So we could say that the Indian guy is only exercising his right to free speech under a democratic system, whether he be a foreigner or not.

Do you believe that foreigners living in a foreign land should be excluded under the rights of free speech and expression and considered enemies of the state, even if their support for one group or another is peaceful?

The difference between most Western countries and Thailand is that in the West these countries are true democracies and even though Thailand under the Shinawatra regime tries to portray it`s self as a democracy, this is only so in the loosest sense.

You’re either for a true democracy that allows free speech for everyone without exceptions or you’re not. There are no easy answers to the rights and wrongs of this.

Why bring the Shinawatras into this? It's Thai law, same thing happened to a couple of farangs in 2010. And as for freedom of speech, even Thais don't have that, especially under the last unelected government which jailed more people under lese majeste and the computer crimes act than ever before or since.

• Like 1

well so much for democracy.

You can be a part of our country, you cam make us money, but know where you stand...

you are not one of us! All men are not created equal, no inalienable rights here.

Clueless and disgraceful. Way to go PTP, your sort of only for Thai people after

their money of course. (pun intended) bah.gif

I can understand them going after tourists, who have no business taking part in the protests. But, a guy who works here, and it part of a wealthy and powerful community? Have they completely lost their marbles? Is there no one with common sense in this administration? We all know Chalerm does not have much of this facility, but are there not any others? For a country that is pretending to be a functioning democracy, a move like this really gives away a lot. Very, very silly. Very immature. Very defeatist. Not very smart.

"Very, very silly. Very immature. Very defeatist. Not very smart."

But totally within Thai law, get used to it.

Sad. There was a big article on him in the Bangkok Post a few days back where it talked about how his family came to Thailand, how they built up the businesses, he became a respected member of the community, did good works for charity etc. If this was America everyone would say that he is representative of what makes America great, he is the living embodiment of The American Dream, proof that anyone can make it there through hard work and dedication. Sadly this is Thailand and there is no democracy here, only Taksinocracy that says dissenters must be punished. By the sounds of it he is a real stand up guy and his only 'crime' is taking a stand against a corrupt government made up of criminals and gangsters, he did the right thing and he will suffer for it. This is a sad day for Thailand.

He broke the law, the same thing happened under the last Dem (sic) unelected government.

TIT! get used to it!

You can be a part of our country, you cam make us money, but know where you stand...

you are not one of us! All men are not created equal, no inalienable rights here.

Clueless and disgraceful. Way to go PTP, your sort of only for Thai people after

I can understand them going after tourists, who have no business taking part in the protests. But, a guy who works here, and it part of a wealthy and powerful community? Have they completely lost their marbles? Is there no one with common sense in this administration? We all know Chalerm does not have much of this facility, but are there not any others? For a country that is pretending to be a functioning democracy, a move like this really gives away a lot. Very, very silly. Very immature. Very defeatist. Not very smart.

Yeah, it's really hard to grasp that this government doesn't kowtow to monied people of influence and that it would have the temerity to apply the same law to a wealthy and influential businessman that the Democrats applied to an Aussie nobody back in 2010.

What about all the Thai/Chinese who were protesting?

They are Thai citizens. This guy is a foreigner.

I hope they do the same to all the farang douchebags who have joined in the protests as well.

What about the "farang douchbags" who have a legal business and pay taxes to the government, they should be denied a voice? What's the point of paying taxes if you're not allowed to voice your opinion.

Sounds fair.

Oh please! not the old "we pay taxes" bleat, do you honestly think they care? You are foreign, you have no rights, obey the law or suffer the consequences.

Honestly, it's like some of you people just got off the plane.

• Like 1

What difference should it make if he's a rich nice bloke or not? If there was a pro thaksin white guy who was a rich nice bloke up on the reds stage, the result would have been absolutely identical.

It begs the real question, "why are they so petrified of the opinions of foreigners?"

I agree with the first part of your post, but not the second.

This guy was not simply expressing his opinion. He apparently was a key figure in a protest that is disrupting the capital and that is intent on bringing down the duly elected government (I'm referring to pre-Sunday). He was not some guy on the sidelines, but rather actively involved in disruptive and now illegal activity.

What difference should it make if he's a rich nice bloke or not? If there was a pro thaksin white guy who was a rich nice bloke up on the reds stage, the result would have been absolutely identical.

It begs the real question, "why are they so petrified of the opinions of foreigners?"

This guy was not simply expressing his opinion. He apparently was a key figure in a protest that is disrupting the capital and that is intent on bringing down the duly elected government (I'm referring to pre-Sunday). He was not some guy on the sidelines, but rather actively involved in disruptive and now illegal activity.

If I stood on stage and said "I hate Suthep, but I support anything that stops corruption", that would get me deported.

Serves him right, we were all warned about the possibillity of deportation if we joined in with any of these silly protests !

Do any of you know what the word hypocrite means?

When just by the mere fact of commenting on a forum with your opinion about the situation politically you are joining In the protest, are you not?

So we are all just as guilty as this man, what's the difference?

Tell me how i'm wrong

And lee b I'm so glad you think these protests are SILLY, it's just helps confirm my opposite opinion to you, let's face mate your not the sharpest tool in the box are you?

Just by calling these protestors SILLY you are joining in the protest are you not? and according to the government you deserve to be deported.

It is a shame - though completely consistent with the history of Pheu Thai - that they should follow a path of complete intolerance when it comes to free expression - particularly if it is contrary to their narrative. If it supports it, of course, it is wholeheartedly embraced ! Free expression has a peculiarly Pheu Thai definition in these circumstances. And so the extreme solution - deportation - is gleefully adopted. A great diplomatic message to India, the world's largest democracy. The Yingluck administration is completely impotent when it comes to stifling the views of the people on the streets - who because they are Thai are not subject to Pheu Thai deportation. But in an effort to convince themselves that they are capable to stifling anything, they go after the foreigners who might happen to show up. Doubtless many will be viewing this event as a strange kind of victory for the administration - although what kind only they will know. Others, though, will steadfastly and confidently maintain that free expression is the bedrock of democracy and will view this story for what it is - a startling Orwellian reflex from an administration that just oversaw the most disunified election in its history.

OK I found a link. Aussie deported for joining Red Shirt protests in 2010 in defiance of an emergency decree: http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-world/thailand-to-deport-aussie-protester-20100820-138l5.html And my recollection is that it was a certain Mr Abhisit in charge at the time. So where does that leave the anti-PTP analysis/rant?

Purcell was a drunken plonker, a tourist, who incited protesters to "Burn Bangkok" including Central World - which eventually was extensively damaged.

A totally different scenario to that of Satish, a thoughtful, sensible and well respected man who has been here for years with a well known and influential family in the Community - as already mentioned a past President of the Thai-Indian Chamber of Commerce and a well liked, long serving member of the Committee of the RBSC.

I think there's far more to this than meets the eye and I'm pretty sure it will rebound on those who are attempting to vilify him.

Patrick

Probably. Especially, since it was a foreigner, Robert Amsterdam, that was the chief architect and lead propogandizor/public relations purveyor of the 2010 protests.

Next?

post-86291-0-49595100-1391551271_thumb.j

This gent has been in the country for over 55 years and considers himself to be Thai.

He has sat on the Thai side in negotiating trade deals with India for many years and has been instrumental in increasing trade between the 2 countries.

He Has done far more good for Thailand than Chalerm and Tarit combined and now they want to throw him out because he speaks out against corruption.

• Like 1

Yes,.. and they were once foreigners before they cunningly positioned themselves as permanent fixtures in the commercial fabric of the nation!

i"m new to this forum so excuse me if I'm wrong but my belief is the chinese were invited to Thailand in the 1930"s to set up business and improve the economy of Thailand

STATE OF EMERGENCY
Indian businessman and protesting monk face repercussions

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- A senior Indian businessman who has participated in anti-government rallies will be deported for defying the state of emergency, a spokeswoman for the Centre for Maintaining Peace and Order (CMPO) said yesterday.

The centre has already ordered the Immigration Department and police to commence procedures to deport Satish Sehgal, who is chairman of the Thai-Indian Business Association, the spokeswoman Pol Lt Colonel Anchulee Theerawongpaisan said.

Sathit meanwhile said he halted all political activities after the government invoked the emergency decree.

Meanwhile, protest leader Phra Buddha Issara, abbot of Wat Or Noi in Nakhon Pathom, has allegedly committed ecclesiastical and criminal offences and could be immediately defrocked, National Office of Buddhism director Nopparat Benchawattananant said yesterday.

The Criminal Court will decide at 1.30pm tomorrow whether to issue an arrest warrant for the monk.

Caretaker Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul said the monk would be arrested once the Criminal Court issued an arrest warrant for him.

The Department of Special Investigation has issued a summons for the abbot to face charges of insurrection.

Nopparat said any monk committing criminal offences could be defrocked if not released on bail.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-02-05

So the PT crooks are picking on the good guys.

A Businessman who has been an advisor to successive governments including that of Thaksin and has done huge good for the country. But then I suppose his policy of not taking or paying bribes or tea money would get up the nose of some and make him a target.

And a monk who runs a hospice for terminally ill cancer patients at his temple.

Compare them to the alcoholic and the lapdog who are having a go at them.

I agree with you but the government did issue a warning in the beginning that foreigners who participate in the demos can be arrested, charged and deported. I am sure he knew he was doing and consequences connect to it. Foreigners have been arrested in previous demos charged and deported also.

This gent has been in the country for over 55 years and considers himself to be Thai.

He has sat on the Thai side in negotiating trade deals with India for many years and has been instrumental in increasing trade between the 2 countries.

He Has done far more good for Thailand than Chalerm and Tarit combined and now they want to throw him out because he speaks out against corruption.

That unfortunately is absolutely irrelevant

What is the word for "visitor" in Thai ? Kaek , I believe...

• Like 1

Yes,.. and they were once foreigners before they cunningly positioned themselves as permanent fixtures in the commercial fabric of the nation!

i"m new to this forum so excuse me if I'm wrong but my belief is the chinese were invited to Thailand in the 1930"s to set up business and improve the economy of Thailand

Invited?

Hmmmmm.

That unfortunately is absolutely irrelevant

What is the word for "visitor" in Thai ? Kaek , I believe...

Hardly irrelevant unless you just want to make a headline by picking on someone with a high profile.

He has been involved in politics for many years including as a ministerial advisor to 6 governments right back to Chuan Leekpei and Thaksin.

It was fine when he helped a Thaksin Govt but when he speaks out against one they want to throw him out.

Do you really think someone who has been here for 55 years working for the country and successive governments is a visitor ?

I'm surprised at all the likes. If you're not a citizen, no, you don't have all the rights of citizenship. We have been warned. I have opinions on the political situation, which I discuss most discreetly. If he's a Thai citizen who's been arrested due to his foreign birthplace, then add me to the "likes."

Hmm, what sort of visa would Khun Sathit be on? Having been here for 50 odd years I suppose he would have PR. Still, PR doesn't provide citizenship rights in most places - there has been news about deportations of long term residents from countries like Australia in recent years.

• Like 1

I'm surprised at all the likes. If you're not a citizen, no, you don't have all the rights of citizenship. We have been warned. I have opinions on the political situation, which I discuss most discreetly. If he's a Thai citizen who's been arrested due to his foreign birthplace, then add me to the "likes."

Why should Thais born in foreign lands be arrested again?

Hmm, what sort of visa would Khun Sathit be on? Having been here for 50 odd years I suppose he would have PR. Still, PR doesn't provide citizenship rights in most places - there has been news about deportations of long term residents from countries like Australia in recent years.

If he came here as long ago as he did, his first visa extension would have effectively been the granting of PR as that is how it worked back then from my understanding of things.

This is a wake up call for all ho support and oppose the protests.

A little to much publicity,too much notoriety and POW - you are out of the country. Best to keep your mouth shut and smile a lot, Oh and for the PDRC people, if they get in power you can bet they will do the same thing!

• Like 1