Contracts in Thailand

Usually I've made bilingual contracts with two columns, one the translation of the other and mentioned in the last paragraph which version will prevail in case of differences in translation. Will at least be harder to try the "lost in translation" bull.

The contract is valid in a Thai court BUT the issue will be that it will be translated into Thai and twisted out of all recognition by your opponent who will be your opponent if you need to use the courts and then the games begin as always with the major points going to the Thai of course since foreigners almost never get equal treatment.

The contract is valid in a Thai court BUT the issue will be that it will be translated into Thai and twisted out of all recognition by your opponent who will be your opponent if you need to use the courts and then the games begin as always with the major points going to the Thai of course since foreigners almost never get equal treatment.

This is really what it comes down to: It's my wife's motorcycle, it will be her contact, and if there is a reason to go to court, only my Thai wife, a Thai witness, and my Thai attorney would be there. I wouldn't even show my pasty white farang face inside the courtroom. Why add the bias? ;)

I'm from the UK and I have been working in Thailand for a number of years translating documents, mostly legal work. I would recommend that anyone considering making a contract of any kind has the agreement drawn up initially in Thai, then translated. That way there can be no argument over the nuances of interpretation from the Thai perspective.

This is really what it comes down to: It's my wife's motorcycle, it will be her contact, and if there is a reason to go to court, only my Thai wife, a Thai witness, and my Thai attorney would be there. I wouldn't even show my pasty white farang face inside the courtroom. Why add the bias? ;)

So if its your wife's contract why would it be in English? Why the bias - because that is the reality but hey take it as you see it.

I pay proper insurance of just over 3,000 baht per year this covers the driver and pillion rider I never understand why people do not get additional insurance the government insurance is a worthless piece of paper I have a Honda Phantom so I would imagine a scooter with a smaller engine would be even cheaper[/quot

Believe me the government insurance is not worthless, it covers bodily insurance up to 50 000' I know someone hit me on a motor bike, farang my fault, that covered all his medical bills had they cost more my insurance would have kicked in. However it does not cover damage to either vehicle your private insurance does that. Amazing how most people here think like you.

Have an accident that paper is the first thing the ins agent asks for.