Deportation threat: Indian business chairman Satish to seek justice from Thai court

webfact

So special laws for Indians ?

He was warned like all foregners .

Thai leaders/voters were not arrested ,yet as the Police and government stated it may exacerbate the tensions.

If this guy was so well respected/connected it could not happen ,I hope his supporters have deep pockets.Good riddance to law breakers they only make lifeharder for us who play by the rules,the foreign drug dealers pimps boiler room scammers,if you can't do the time don't do the crime,I am minded the authorities are sufficently corrupt that he'll pay off and shut up if he knows what's good for him ,Lord Buddha was Nepalese and Indians are pretty near the bottom in Thai thinking as anyone familiar with local "nicknames" jek,kek and falang will know..

Can you please prove to us that he is not a Thai citizen?
No country can ever 'deport' it's own citizen. If he was a citizen, they would have used the word 'exile'. In any case it was widely reported in the media, and a simple google search will provide you all the details you need. He is 70yrs old, claims to have come here as a young child but never taken citizenship in the 50+ years he has been here.

Citizens, can be deported. You are confusing a citizen with a national.

My wife is now an Australian citizen, but if she broke the law she could be deported back to Thailand.

I don't care if this guy stays or goes and am not choosing sides, just clarifying a point.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

True, but I believe they would have to revoke her citizenship first. Which, although technically possible at any point ("contrary to the national interest" or some shit), is in reality only a possibility if they find out she lied on the application, or committed some serious crime at some point in time before citizenship was granted.

Specifically, she can not be deported for criminal activity. So you can let her know that she's cool to start breaking the law now.

www.citizenship.gov.au/current/losing_citizenship/

By "national", I'm guessing you mean folks with citizenship-by-birth. Since that can't be revoked, those people can't be deported.

Actually even a "national" technically speaking can have their citizenship revoked, I don't know why people are trying to separate a "national" and someone who becomes a citizen, they are both the same and afforded the same rights

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This happens in Canada regularly ( but not for this reason) immigrants who come to the country as young children grow up and are

educated in Canada. They feel Canadian but have not become naturalized. They break the law (usually several times) and find

themselves deported to there home countries. While no landed immigrant in Canada would be deported for making a speech at a

political rally like this guy did, if you are convicted of a crime for which you can be sentenced to a jail term of 3 years (I think) or more,

you could find yourself deported to your home country where you may have no connection and possibly don't even speak the language.

Many countries have laws that forbid participation of foreign nationals in political demonstrations and activities. He should

have attained Thai citizenship before stepping on stage. He speaks the language, has been here over 50 years, feels Thai at heart.

There were plenty of warnings for foreign nationals to not get involved with the demonstrations as it is against the law. I hope

he is allowed to stay and applies for citizenship. Then no worries. coffee1.gif

Thai leaders/voters were not arrested ,yet as the Police and government stated it may exacerbate the tensions.

If this guy was so well respected/connected it could not happen ,I hope his supporters have deep pockets.Good riddance to law breakers they only make lifeharder for us who play by the rules,the foreign drug dealers pimps boiler room scammers,if you can't do the time don't do the crime,I am minded the authorities are sufficently corrupt that he'll pay off and shut up if he knows what's good for him ,Lord Buddha was Nepalese and Indians are pretty near the bottom in Thai thinking as anyone familiar with local "nicknames" jek,kek and falang will know..

No country can ever 'deport' it's own citizen. If he was a citizen, they would have used the word 'exile'. In any case it was widely reported in the media, and a simple google search will provide you all the details you need. He is 70yrs old, claims to have come here as a young child but never taken citizenship in the 50+ years he has been here.

My wife is now an Australian citizen, but if she broke the law she could be deported back to Thailand.

I don't care if this guy stays or goes and am not choosing sides, just clarifying a point.

True, but I believe they would have to revoke her citizenship first. Which, although technically possible at any point ("contrary to the national interest" or some shit), is in reality only a possibility if they find out she lied on the application, or committed some serious crime at some point in time before citizenship was granted.

Specifically, she can not be deported for criminal activity. So you can let her know that she's cool to start breaking the law now.

By "national", I'm guessing you mean folks with citizenship-by-birth. Since that can't be revoked, those people can't be deported.

Actually even a "national" technically speaking can have their citizenship revoked, I don't know why people are trying to separate a "national" and someone who becomes a citizen, they are both the same and afforded the same rights, being a national of a country does not afford a person more rights over a person who gains citizenship by nationalisation

If per the article he is truly a Thai citizen, as it appears he states then they cannot deport him, and if they do it is a violation of international human rights......PTP democracy in action again it seems

The reasoning of most of TV members blows my mind.

On one hand, the reasoning of most TV members is that this person is a Thai and can not be deported (although his Thai citizenship is not proven and for the rule of law her is a foreigner).

On the other hand, the reasoning of TV members is in line with Suthep demands that PM Yingluck and all the Shinawatras should be deported out of Thailand forever.

Notwithstanding that PM Yingluck and the Shinawatras ARE THAI CITIZENS ad have the right to be in their country.

TV democracy in action again it seems.

Thaksin has the right to be in Thailand. He should come back and serve his two year prison sentence in a Thai jail.

He is in SELF-IMPOSED exile because he will not recognize the decision of a Thai court.

Did you miss that part of the story?

If per the article he is truly a Thai citizen, as it appears he states then they cannot deport him, and if they do it is a violation of international human rights......PTP democracy in action again it seems

Where does it state he is a Thai citizen?

So he's been here for 50 years and is actually a naturalised Thai with a Thai passport? If that's the case, what gives the Shinawatras the right to deport him? He's no tourist joining the protest, he's a Thai exercising his right to protest. Just goes to show how far the Shins will go to be vindictive. They're really getting desperata.

Can't you read? You're so poisoned with your fascist anti democracy ideology you just read what you want into anything. He was born in India and has never taken Thai citizenship. He took part in a movement to bring down the elected government of a foreign country. Lock him up for ten years, then kick him out. Fascist!

Actually even a "national" technically speaking can have their citizenship revoked, I don't know why people are trying to separate a "national" and someone who becomes a citizen, they are both the same and afforded the same rights

The link in the other post shows that there is a minor difference in Australia (apparently). Citizenship-by-birth cannot be revoked. Not possible.

He's paid his taxes, he's lived in Thailand for 50 years, he has a family who is here, probably a Thai wife. Why are they singling him out for news coverage? If he is found guilty and deported, then it follows logically that everyone standing at his side in protest should be guilty and jailed or deported.

He's paid his taxes, he's lived in Thailand for 50 years, he has a family who is here, probably a Thai wife. Why are they singling him out for news coverage? If he is found guilty and deported, then it follows logically that everyone standing at his side in protest should be guilty and jailed or deported.

If he broke a law, they all must have broken a law. It can't be illegal to be a foreigner.

Have they actually been revoked or are they threatening to do it, as can't see the bleeding heart liberals letting the government doing it without a legal fight
Reading the stories they did quite a few

Also found a story about a Somalian who was left in somalia when he decided to put down his al Qaeda gun and wanted to get home to the uk.

Quite humorous for the Brits really.

I wonder what their response was, knowing the dickheads in the UK most likely paid for his flight back to the UK give him a free house

Apparently they cancelled his passport while he was in somalia and couldn't get back....

Yup all true, same thing was done to Thaksin but just revoked his visa of ILR I believe while we was out of the UK... no fuss just sorry your bye bye have a nice life. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/3404374/Former-Manchester-City-FC-owner-Thaksin-Shinawatra-banned-from-Britain.html

A much simpler way of looking at this could be: does he have the right to vote?

If he does then he has the right to protest.

If he doesn't have the right to vote then political matters are none of his business and he should not get involved in them publicly.

Likewise children who have not yet reached the age to vote should NOT be dragged into any political stage by their parents/guardians.

Edited by Keesters

Actually even a "national" technically speaking can have their citizenship revoked, I don't know why people are trying to separate a "national" and someone who becomes a citizen, they are both the same and afforded the same rights, being a national of a country does not afford a person more rights over a person who gains citizenship by nationalisation

An Australian citizen by birth cannot have their Australian citizenship revoked. Similarly, a person conferred citizenship, after fully disclosing all relevant factors, cannot have their Australian citizenship revoked.

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/current/losing_citizenship/

I'm not sure if he holds a passport or not; but to many Thais it would make no difference. To most Thais that I have come across, and Indian or Westerner holding a valid Thai passport is still not Thai.

One Thai told me once about the Indian community here; "I don't care if they have lived here 100,000,000 years and have a passport, not they, nor their children are Thai, have ever been Thai or will ever be Thai."

In most Thai minds, a foreigner is someone who is not ethnically Thai, regardless of the fact that they "may" have a Thai passport and hold citizenship.

A good portion of people you may designate at "Thai" are actually not ethnic Thai. Lao, Khmer, Malay, Hill Tribe, Chinese etc.

An Australian citizen by birth cannot have their Australian citizenship revoked. Similarly, a person conferred citizenship, after fully disclosing all relevant factors, cannot have their Australian citizenship revoked.

Laws differ. Native-born British citizens can and do have theirs revoked. However, Satish is not a Thai citizen, so it is irrelevant. It's also worth notice that some people for agitating to Thaksin to lose his Thai citizenship, and he's far more Thai than Satish.

Many years ago, when Thaksin was rising into power, there where allegations about his father being Chinese and falsified his papers, or bribing someone or both, or something to become a Thai citizen. Anybody remember that? similar to the thing with Obama and the quest to find his birth certificate by his opponents?

I know a lot of people who 'feel like a Thai', but the fact is that they aren't. The rules are different for non-citizens.

I feel for this guy, but at least he has enough money to live comfortably in Indian, and it's nice that he is taking care of her mother, she probably will enjoy spending her final years in the land of her birth, as well.

I'm not sure if he holds a passport or not; but to many Thais it would make no difference. To most Thais that I have come across, and Indian or Westerner holding a valid Thai passport is still not Thai.

One Thai told me once about the Indian community here; "I don't care if they have lived here 100,000,000 years and have a passport, not they, nor their children are Thai, have ever been Thai or will ever be Thai."

In most Thai minds, a foreigner is someone who is not ethnically Thai, regardless of the fact that they "may" have a Thai passport and hold citizenship.

A good portion of people you may designate at "Thai" are actually not ethnic Thai. Lao, Khmer, Malay, Hill Tribe, Chinese etc.

You are correct, especially with regard to hill tribe and Malay, however try telling someone from Surin or Nong Khai they are not Thai and I'm sure you will get an earfull.

I don't think all Thais think that way. Whilst walking around my village in Issan on voting day, the head of the village asked me if i was going to the poll station to vote. When i told him that as a foreigner i have no rights here,that i am merely tolerated, that i have to report to immigration every 90 days and have my visa extended every year he looked astonished.

"But you live here with us,you have a son here,you are one of us"

"That's nice of you to be sure, tell that to the immigration".

I think if you are a decent person and make an effort to speak the language,take part in the affairs of the village, you are accepted,if not as a Thai then as a solid part of the community. The only ones who make trouble for us and/or look down on us are the powers that be.

• Like 1

Laws differ. Native-born British citizens can and do have theirs revoked. However, Satish is not a Thai citizen, so it is irrelevant. It's also worth notice that some people for agitating to Thaksin to lose his Thai citizenship, and he's far more Thai than Satish.

I am no authority on "nationality", perhaps you are but this sounds like BS. Perhaps you can tell us of a case where a British citizen has had his passport revoked. In my opinion that would go against the UN charter.

I am no authority on "nationality", perhaps you are but this sounds like BS. Perhaps you can tell us of a case where a British citizen has had his passport revoked. In my opinion that would go against the UN charter.

He is correct. There have been several cases. The person however must have dual citizenship or it cannot be revoked more details here.

http://immigrationmatters.co.uk/home-office-is-cancelling-british-citizenship-of-more-dual-nationality-brits.html/comment-page-1

Australian citizens can't be deported. Full stop.

Only if it has been shown that they have obtained that citizenship fraduently. Other than that, the have every right to enter Australia without restriction.

Australian citizens may, in certain cases, be denied passports for travel, but that is a totally seperate issue.

I would beg to differ.

From the Australian Government website - there is a whole heap of stuff about application fraud and prior convictions, but there is also this catch-all

• it would be contrary to the public interest for you to remain an Australian citizen.

This has been used in the past to deport people who were convicted of SERIOUS crimes after becoming a citizen.

Do I believe this guy has committed a serious crime and needs to be deported? Maybe not. But the measure is not up to me. I am just saying that it can be done and has precedent, at least in some countries.

I think you are being a little bit disingenuous. As per the same link you showed there is the following text:

" An Australian citizen by birth cannot have their Australian citizenship revoked. Similarly, a person conferred citizenship, after fully disclosing all relevant factors, cannot have their Australian citizenship revoked.

People who have their citizenship revoked can be removed from Australia"

So again, the only time when someone who has become a citizen can be deported is if they did not originally disclose the full facts on their original citizenship application.

So a person who migrated and became a citizen honestly, and then later stuffs up, can not be deported. Alan Bond, amongst others, comes to mind.

And if we are going to be pedentic, you can't deport a citizen. You can deport a non-citizen, even one who has had their citizenship revoked.

Edited by samran

In the eyes of the (Chinese) Thais he will never be a Thai. I have been here over 30 years and will be referred to as "that Farang" on the corner forever. I studied Thai Customs (including all religious customs) as well as been a Buddhist since I was 15. We will never be accepted as full citizens. No matter what we do for the country or how much we DO love His Majesty the King. It's sad but it's a fact of life. If you stand still by it too much it will affect your mental health. So, better not.

• Like 1

So he's been here for 50 years and is actually a naturalised Thai with a Thai passport? If that's the case, what gives the Shinawatras the right to deport him?

Probably the Law that says they can. Just like people can be revoked of citizenship for certain crimes. Even using his original citizenship would be enough for Thailand to revoke it if they chose to.

Don't feel sorry for him, he's just an agitator.

Edited by Time Traveller

As of 03/2013 sixteen people had been stripped of their British citizenship in the previous three years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21783475

He is correct. There have been several cases. The person however must have dual citizenship or it cannot be revoked more details here.

http://immigrationmatters.co.uk/home-office-is-cancelling-british-citizenship-of-more-dual-nationality-brits.html/comment-page-1

Apparently not 100% accurate.

Under section 40 of the British Nationality Act 1981, as amended in 2006, the home secretary may make an order depriving a person of citizenship status if they are "satisfied that deprivation is conducive to the public good". No reasons need be given and no court approval is required. There is a right of appeal.

But Amanda Weston, a barrister who practises in immigration law, told Law in Action the Home Office often waited until individuals were outside the UK before depriving them of their citizenship. Challenging the decision from abroad could be difficult, especially if issues of national security were involved.

Ms Weston said the home secretary could not take away a person's citizenship if that would leave the individual stateless. But the barrister said it was not necessary for the person to hold another nationality before losing UK citizenship, provided they were deemed eligible to seek a passport from another country" My words....deemed eligible would not necessarily mean application for citizenship would be approved; therefore becoming stateless.

As of 03/2013 sixteen people had been stripped of their British citizenship in the previous three years.

And there are probably thousands more that should be as well.