Tourist Visa Exemption: repeated use over two years

Dear All,

I have a slightly complicated question and would be very thankful is someone could help me.

I am a British citizen and currently have an ED visa that will expire in May 2014. I then plan to move abroad for a period of about 2 years. During these 2 years, I wish to go back to Thailand regularly (about once every 6 to 8 weeks) for tourism purposes and visit my friends there. Each trip will last between 7 to 10 days. I also plan to move in and out of the country during each of these trips (to go to Laos, Cambodia, Burma).
Overall, during one year (and this for a period of two years) this will account for about 10 entries into Thailand, each no longer than 10 days.
My questions are:
1) I wish to use the Tourist Visa Exemption (the 30 day stamp thingy) on each of these trips. How many times can I use it during these two years? I recall that there used to be a rule of not being allowed to use it more than 3 times per year.
2) As long as I do not spend more than 90 days per 6 months in Thailand (which I will not, since each of my trips to Thailand will be short and not longer than 10 days), can I use the Tourist Visa Exemption each time during the two years?

Many thanks to anyone who can help me with this.

Hi Ubonjoe,

Many thanks for your response.

Just so that I understand correctly:

a) There is no limit in the number of times I would get a visa exempt entry, provided that I do not stay inside Thailand for longer than 90 days in any given month?

B) The limit on back to back would be for someone who repeatedly goes back from Thailand into a neighbouring country back and forth? What are these limits, or where can I find further information about it? I plan to go regularly to Cambodia during my trips and thus might use quite a large number of these visa exempt entries back and forth.

Many thanks!

Flying in the there is no limit of any kind.

Back to Back border crossing are limited to 3 or 4 (no limit at some) dependent upon which crossing you use. If you did 2 back to back for example and then went out and back by air the chain of entries would be broken.

Edit: Are you aware that since you are from the UK you now get 30 day entries at a border crossing. New rule since November of last year.

• Like 1

JJBinks,

There is a ton of oil and gas guys living in Thailand on the the 30 day visa waiver like myself that have been doing it for many years (myself 4+ now). I spend 28 days outside Thailand working then 28 days inside Thailand on holiday.

Regards,

Kurt

Hi Ubonjoe,

a) There is no limit in the number of times I would get a visa exempt entry, provided that I do not stay inside Thailand for longer than 90 days in any given month?

cool.png The limit on back to back would be for someone who repeatedly goes back from Thailand into a neighbouring country back and forth? What are these limits, or where can I find further information about it? I plan to go regularly to Cambodia during my trips and thus might use quite a large number of these visa exempt entries back and forth.

Many thanks!

A friend of mine was on an ED visa for 2 years. Before that he used to teach English for a number of years. His course ended it December last year. He's looking for a job now. He went to Cambodia yesterday and got the 30 days, but apparently the immigration officer said that he will not get another one there because he's got 3 in a row now.

In your case I don't see a problem, though because you'll be away for a couple of weeks each time you leave the country and not go straight back to Thailand. You can also prove that you work outside Thailand. Just fly in and they'll give you 30 days on arrival.

Edited by pacovl46

Hi Ubonjoe,

cool.png The limit on back to back would be for someone who repeatedly goes back from Thailand into a neighbouring country back and forth? What are these limits, or where can I find further information about it? I plan to go regularly to Cambodia during my trips and thus might use quite a large number of these visa exempt entries back and forth.

Many thanks!

A friend of mine was on an ED visa for 2 years. Before that he used to teach English for a number of years. His course ended it December last year. He's looking for a job now. He went to Cambodia yesterday and got the 30 days, but apparently the immigration officer said that he will not get another one there because he's got 3 in a row now.

In your case I don't see a problem, though because you'll be away for a couple of weeks each time you leave the country and not go straight back to Thailand. You can also prove that you work outside Thailand. Just fly in and they'll give you 30 days on arrival.

As I wrote previously a border crossing entry has limits. I suspect that was done at Poi Pet because 3 entries from reports that is the limit they have set.

Flying in there is no limit.

Hi Ubonjoe,

Many thanks!

Correct, you can fly to KL or Changi stay overnight and fly back to BKK. Then you get a 30 days stay for free. I think this will break the chain of three consecutive from the same border.

Edited by iTravelNow

There is no need to remain overnight. Just flying out and back on same day is not a problem.

But if staying here longterm on border hops and even flying in and out is not a good option. It is much better to get a tourist visa.

• Like 1

Hi Ubonjoe,

Many thanks!

??????????????????????????????????????? You should be OK

For several years I lived in Vientiane, Laos. Because the Lao permits took so long, for two of those years I had to go to the Friendship Bridge each month, exit Laos, cross the bridge and enter Thailand, exit Thailand and re-enter Laos on a month tourist visa. Getting the Thai stamp was a condition of re-entry. The Thai immigration officers never asked me a question or bothered me as it was plain that I was playing by the rules, which was not overstaying the 2 week limit on visas granted at land borders.

For several years I lived in Vientiane, Laos. Because the Lao permits took so long, for two of those years I had to go to the Friendship Bridge each month, exit Laos, cross the bridge and enter Thailand, exit Thailand and re-enter Laos on a month tourist visa. Getting the Thai stamp was a condition of re-entry. The Thai immigration officers never asked me a question or bothered me as it was plain that I was playing by the rules, which was not overstaying the 2 week limit on visas granted at land borders.

You were the reverse of what most people doing border runs here are doing.

It is not the same as leaving Thailand to get another entry.

I am wondering how Thai immigration at say Aranyaprathet treats border runners that have numerous visa exempt entries BUT spend at least a few days in Cambodia each time rather than doing turn around entries with no time spent outside Thailand. I suspect most border runners are only doing turn around visa runs hence why they attract more attention.

Can also confirm that frequent entry into Thailand with visa exemption from a neighbouring country is no problem.

Have been doing this from Myanmar for many years - entering Thailand from a few days up to several weeks or a month at a time, sometimes multiple times in a single month.

Never had a problem.

Can also confirm that frequent entry into Thailand with visa exemption from a neighbouring country is no problem.

Have been doing this from Myanmar for many years - entering Thailand from a few days up to several weeks or a month at a time, sometimes multiple times in a single month.

Never had a problem.

The difference in your case is that you are probably doing it by air not by land.

Even by land it would not be the same because you don't leave and re-enter in a matter of minutes or hours.