Going against all advice!

geronimo

If you can succeed in the general forum, please carry on and fix thai news clippings followed by best pizza in western food and man city in football. Feel free to just delete that one all together if it easier for you.

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Difficult we can do ... Miracles take just a wee bit longer ... rolleyes.gif

But the Cricket in Thailand stays.....

• Like 1

It has indeed been a struggle to maintain a glass half full approach to life while living in Thailand! I applaud the idea that the OP has put forth! Here's to you Geronimo. I hope it's not you're last stand! ?????

All of us who choose to live here do so because the glass is at least half full, whether they admit or not. Some of us will even admit to it being three quarters full.

• Like 1

I forgot what I wanted to say, but I just have to clear, I had something in mind when I hit the write tab on my device.

yes this is an example of the swift informative comprehensive posts that TV is renowned for. keep up the good work.thumbsup.gifcoffee1.gif

Don't be so negative. This is the positive happening thread.

Imagine there was a UK equivilent of Thaivisa, what with all those emigrants getting houses and free handouts etc etc, not having to do 90 day reporting, or having to leave the country for their visa stamps. Think of all the positive posts you would get then. But a UK forum similar to TV, would need to employ grammar police.

• Like 1

Well...I reckon this Good Things idea is a pretty good idea.

The only thought I have is...If this is the start of a new thread

then why is the name...Going Against All Advice!...? I mean

we've all gone against all advice in some form or another in our

lives haven't we? On that note...advice usually comes in three

forms...good, bad and free....so....where are we here? Why

are we here? New thread name suggestions anybody? I reckon

Geronimo is on to something here but the name has gotta be

indicative of what the thread will hopefully contain...perhaps;

The anti Thai bashing thread? Or...The LOS good news thread

...or....c'mon...help out!

It has indeed been a struggle to maintain a glass half full approach to life while living in Thailand! I applaud the idea that the OP has put forth! Here's to you Geronimo. I hope it's not you're last stand! ?????

That was not Geronimo, that was General Custer, Sitting Bull and Crazy horse.

If you can succeed in the general forum, please carry on and fix thai news clippings followed by best pizza in western food and man city in football. Feel free to just delete that one all together if it easier for you.

I'd settle for edible pizza. Basilico was passable last week I suppose.

Let's not get into football though eh? :-D

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You must be a Rangers supporter.

All of us who choose to live here do so because the glass is at least half full, whether they admit or not. Some of us will even admit to it being three quarters full.

I love living in Thailand.

Thailand is not so much better or worse than the West but very different.

When I visit developed countries I feel that life is organized and like a black and white movie.

Thailand is full of color and excitement and is fun.

I agree....although to me it resembles this a bit more...

But hey....I like cartoons!

I'd settle for edible pizza. Basilico was passable last week I suppose.

Let's not get into football though eh? :-D

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You must be a Rangers supporter.

No insults before breakfast please. bah.gif

• Like 1

OK, here's something. I am constantly impressed by the availability of reasonably priced repair shops for IT devices. Where I come from, the USA, if you have a problem with your hardware, try finding a place that will fix it for you. If it's still in warranty, ( the breakdown usually occurs afterward) you can send it away to the "Authorized Repair Facility", and wait.....

Here in Chiang Mai there are many great little shops that can have your computer up and running quickly, for a very low price. These young guys are geniuses. If you break the screen on your tablet or phone, these shops can fit you up with a new glass, rather than advising you to toss it away and buy the latest & greatest.

Does this qualify as good news?

Agreed, but not just computers. I love how almost everything no longer needed is put to some use eventually.

I'm sure the Thai's don't think of scavenging for useful pieces of other people's junk is recycling, but it is. Anything I throw out that I think may be of some use to someone, somewhere, from plastic, glass and cardboard to anything with metal on it goes into a separate rubbish bag so it doesn't get mixed up with food scraps and smelly, slimey gunky things in the main rubbish bag. It isn't much, but that's my contribution to making things a tiny little bit easier for someone.

Very little is wasted here, that's a good thing.

And life, for most of us on ThaiVisa is good. Everyone reading this post has had the education to have learned to read and write, the mental and physical ability to read and write and enough money to buy a computer/laptop/tablet/phone along with an internet connection. For many people around the world, internet access is not possible because of physical limitation or for financial reasons (I wonder how many millions in 3rd world countries haven't even heard of the internet).

Life is very good.

• Like 1

OK, here's something. I am constantly impressed by the availability of reasonably priced repair shops for IT devices. Where I come from, the USA, if you have a problem with your hardware, try finding a place that will fix it for you. If it's still in warranty, ( the breakdown usually occurs afterward) you can send it away to the "Authorized Repair Facility", and wait.....

Here in Chiang Mai there are many great little shops that can have your computer up and running quickly, for a very low price. These young guys are geniuses. If you break the screen on your tablet or phone, these shops can fit you up with a new glass, rather than advising you to toss it away and buy the latest & greatest.

Good news indeed, but can they replace the screen on my almost unused Toshiba laptop - and where can I find one of these undoubted geniuses? That would be even better news!

I'm sure the Thai's don't think of scavenging for useful pieces of other people's junk is recycling, but it is. Anything I throw out that I think may be of some use to someone, somewhere, from plastic, glass and cardboard to anything with metal on it goes into a separate rubbish bag so it doesn't get mixed up with food scraps and smelly, slimey gunky things in the main rubbish bag. It isn't much, but that's my contribution to making things a tiny little bit easier for someone.

Would be even better if the recycling was happening due to people being far-sighted about taking care of our Mother Earth, or as a result of well-designed government incentive programs.

Fact is it's the result of there being so many desperately poor people here - not such good news, for them anyway.

Nice for those of us that want cheap servants though, all depends on your POV.

Would be even better if the recycling was happening due to people being far-sighted about taking care of our Mother Earth, or as a result of well-designed government incentive programs.

Fact is it's the result of there being so many desperately poor people here - not such good news, for them anyway.

Nice for those of us that want cheap servants though, all depends on your POV.

You've made my post sound horrible (on a good news/positive thread). You've not only missed my point, but also put a negative spin on it. Obviously some people here are desperately poor. I was making a statement about things not being wasted and sent to land fill sites unlike in the west where there is so much unnecessary waste.

PS - I have no need or desire for servants, cheap or expensive.

• Like 1

We had to do some shopping recently for various items for our home and had the opportunity to visit some out-of-the-way shops and businesses. Most of the time my wife was with me and I didn't have to do a lot of talking (my Thai is not yet fully functional) but several times I ventured out on my own with confidence I could obtain whatever I needed and would give me the opportunity to get acquainted with the local fares and wares. Admittedly, I had a few challenges but between my limited vocabulary and a wonderful Thai-English dictionary on my iPhone I was able to make a go of it.

It was comforting to see the patience the vendors and salespeople exhibited with me. Had a few laughs along the way as I mispronounced (or is it mis-toned?) words and tried alternative variations until some understanding was established. It was also interesting to see what I was offered when I asked for something. I wanted an ashtray one place and the first offer to my query was a pack of cigarettes. I made some gestures and was then offered a lighter. Finally between my pronunciation and gesturing they realized what I wanted and I got the mai mii response. We all laughed when they understood what I was after.

Everyone I met was helpful, no one was disrespectful and none acted like I was an ET. Do get some giggles now and then but don't mind at all. I really enjoy living here. All my interactions thus far have been civil.

• Like 1

Good news indeed, but can they replace the screen on my almost unused Toshiba laptop - and where can I find one of these undoubted geniuses? That would be even better news!

Hi Mimi:

Here in Chiangmai there are several shops upstairs in Pantip Plaza that can probably replace that screen. The guy I recommend is Chiangmai Notebook Repair, upstairs at Pantip, space 2125. The boss is Khun Kiatchai, and his English is pretty good. Tel: 084-1511684 or 080-6723414. Best to just take it in and show it to them. They will know what to do. He gave me an estimate for time and cost, and came in 100% on both.

Some of these shops are just so-so. Their English is not good, but they wil act like they know what you're talking about, when they don't. I'm just amazed at how many of these shops there are, that can fix our broken stuff.

Sorry, I don't know where to go in any other city besides CM.