Microwave french fries/jacket potatoes

beau thai

Ok, Ok I know I will get some flack but just sometimes I have the urge to eat some french fries at home, but dont want to mess about with a fryer.

In the west it is easy to buy Microwaveable French Fries-and they are ok. Not top notch but ok if you feel lazy and feel the need,

Can I find them here? No. Seems odd as so many rely on microwave, and have neither the space or desire for a deep fryer.

Either I am looking in the wrong place or there is a business opportunity, but I am hoping someone will tell me where they can be found.

Same subject almost - so many potatoes on sale here are green and/or sprouting. And so many are dry and floury when baked in their jacket-in a microwave.

Anyone found a reliable source of GOOD potatoes-please dont say 'any market' as i have been down that route.

Nowt wrong wit`spuds here!

If you like your tats moist you need to wrap them in kitchen towel first and also pierce the spud a few times with a fork.

The result if that they are almost steamed.

Unwrap, scoop out the middle and load with butter or grated cheese.

A reet proper meal, just lacking a Yorkshire pud

• Like 2

Bought 10 kg bag of nice potatoes at wholesale market near the

US embassy, 200 bht = 20 bht a Kg, prices in local market,Makro

Rim Ping, 35 -50 bht Kg.

beau Thai ,really, takes minutes to make some really good chips,

I boil the chips first then fry them,sometimes let them cool and quick

fry again,nice and crispy and soft in middle,well worth a little bit of

effort. if you must have oven chips think I seen some in Tops,they

were Waitrose,

also roast spuds.

regards Worgeordie

Bought 10 kg bag of nice potatoes at wholesale market near the

US embassy, 200 bht = 20 bht a Kg, prices in local market,Makro

Rim Ping, 35 -50 bht Kg.

beau Thai ,really, takes minutes to make some really good chips,

I boil the chips first then fry them,sometimes let them cool and quick

fry again,nice and crispy and soft in middle,well worth a little bit of

effort. if you must have oven chips think I seen some in Tops,they

were Waitrose,

also roast spuds.

regards Worgeordie

Oh yes - I had overlooked that market. great place for fruit and veg. And I know a stallholder there - Thai but educated at Uni in Australia. I bet he knows what variety is best for me.

I have looked at Tops but not the Waitrose stuff=all the others are just frozen for deep frying. Maybe I should be less lazy and try your chip cooking method. thanks for the input- but not between halves of an EPL game!

Be wary of green potatoes. This is from the PennState College of Agricultural Sciences:

When potatoes are exposed to light, metabolic activity in the skin increases as it prepares to send out shoots. As a result, chlorophyll is formed, which provides the green color. Another product formed is solanine, which is a glycoalkaloid toxin. It has a bitter taste and can irritate the gastrointestinal tract. If enough is eaten it could cause symptoms such as vomiting and diarrhea. Because of the bitter taste, it is rare for someone to eat enough to actually get sick.

Small green spots can be trimmed off. If more extensive greening occurs, throw the potato out.

The tendency for potatoes to turn green and form solanine varies among varieties. To prevent it from happening, inspect potatoes at the store before purchasing and store them at home in a cool dark place with good air circulation.

For Baked Potatoes--I wash, prick with a fork and give them about 3 Minutes in a microwave--depends on the size, small less time bigger slightly more time--then put them in a pre-heated mini-oven for about 20 minutes on 220 degrees--these times, and temps are adjustable depending on your appliance and type of spuds--but they will come out like a fairly decent baked potato--sadly, though, nothing beats just leaving the washed, pricked spuds in a hot oven for about an hour, or so--if you want them with crisp skins.

All you need is that special reflective panel they put underneath the microwavable fries..

You can buy a bag of french fries from tesco, if you can get that box insert thing then the result will be the same..

I googled this subject.. answer seems simple... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsC-MxAvsZs

"Soft and steaming" is not my ideal description of a chip.

Will give it a try though.....

Don't forget that in the West you soon find out which spuds are suited for making chips, not the same as the ones for baked potatoes or potato salad you don't have that possibility here.

I fry my chips in a frying pan, easy

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2

re

Just waiting for a photo ( chiang Mai not google image!!) from Dave2 of a bag of microwavable french fries

sorry cannot :(

when i can get a perfect burger or fries fix at loco elvis why on earth would i use a microwave ?

dave2 :)

post-42592-0-84138600-1391840539_thumb.j

post-42592-0-09483200-1391840565_thumb.j

post-42592-0-77360600-1391840603_thumb.j

re

Just waiting for a photo ( chiang Mai not google image!!) from Dave2 of a bag of microwavable french fries

sorry cannot sad.png

when i can get a perfect burger or fries fix at loco elvis why on earth would i use a microwave ?

dave2 smile.png

Thanks Dave - why microwave? because I cant get to Elvis and eat between first and second half of tonight's Liverpool v Arsenal match!

But I found something you dont have a photo of-amazing! 5555

• Like 1

Don't forget that in the West you soon find out which spuds are suited for making chips, not the same as the ones for baked potatoes or potato salad you don't have that possibility here.

Quite right, you need to know that your king edwards and your maris pipers have different roles to play.

I scratch my head at your dry in the pan style. That the recipe for a soggy oil soaked chip.

The secrets of the perfect chip are to cut the chips first then blanche in water to rinse of excess starch and seal the surface. Leave them in water for ten minutes.

Then the fat must be very very hot this browns and crisps the outside and leaves the inside almost al dente.

Some people like to remove from the oil allow them to cool then dunk in the hot fat a second time.

Finally two thick slices of bread, ketchup,vinegar and you got yer sen a proper chip butty.

By eck thats grand!

Quite right, you need to know that your king edwards and your maris pipers have different roles to play.

I scratch my head at your dry in the pan style. That the recipe for a soggy oil soaked chip.

The secrets of the perfect chip are to cut the chips first then blanche in water to rinse of excess starch and seal the surface. Leave them in water for ten minutes.

Then the fat must be very very hot this browns and crisps the outside and leaves the inside almost al dente.

Some people like to remove from the oil allow them to cool then dunk in the hot fat a second time.

Finally two thick slices of bread, ketchup,vinegar and you got yer sen a proper chip butty.

By eck thats grand!...

You are right of course-and have described in detail why I want microwave chips!!

Must be a market here surely? If I knew Mr McCain, I would introduce him to Mr Rimping - perhaps with a small thai-style introductory commission for me.

I bet for the same price of the microwave you could get a small chip fryer....just guessing.....I can't see me ever wanting either.

You dont use a microwave?? At all??

Very many uses including defrosting/cooking very tasty indian meals from Rimping -Sausage King Brand and another GB-Indian I cant recall.

Many TV epicureans will decry them of course but they are very tasty and a whole lot better than most of the indian rubbish served up in restaurants here. And yes, I have lived in India too so dont really want a lecture about the difference between Indian Indian food and English Indian food, which I have read on here ad nauseum.

But you cant cook those frozen ones in a chip fryer ,Eyecatcher!

I tried the Microwave chip instructions from the above video--with nothing like the results shown--I started at the 2 minutes stated, then 2 more, then a further 2 minutes--at which point the previously frozen chips were edible--but neither crisp, nor browned nor particularly pleasant--my 12 year old daughter didn't even want to try them--which says a lot since she likes her chips--I did manage to eat them with ketchup--but will not be repeating the exercise.

I am considering stumping up for a deep fat fryer, about 2900 baht from Makro--but, honestly can't talk myself around since we eat chips at best twice a month.

• Like 1

I tried the Microwave chip instructions from the above video--with nothing like the results shown--I started at the 2 minutes stated, then 2 more, then a further 2 minutes--at which point the previously frozen chips were edible--but neither crisp, nor browned nor particularly pleasant--my 12 year old daughter didn't even want to try them--which says a lot since she likes her chips--I did manage to eat them with ketchup--but will not be repeating the exercise.

I am considering stumping up for a deep fat fryer, about 2900 baht from Makro--but, honestly can't talk myself around since we eat chips at best twice a month.

I agree that microwave chips are yuk. I just use a pan with some oil in it and a lid on and bung frozen chips in right from the freezer; nice browned crispy chips is the result. Deep fat fryer is a waste of money unless you want to literally live on deep fried food...in which case you won't live long anyway !

• Like 1

I agree completely- I have a large Wok pan and this works fine- get the blighters out with a long handled sort of sieve type spatula thing- reduces the oiliness, plus drop them on a sheet of kitchen towel- done and dusted. There's only 2 of us- so, this makes just about enough.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk