Google Earth: how much has global warming raised temperatures near you?

Maestro

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Quadrennial Defense Review: US Department of Defense

http://www.defense.gov/home/features/2014/0314_sdr/qdr.aspx

"Climate change poses another significant challenge for the United States and the world at large. As greenhouse gas emissions increase, sea levels are rising, average global temperatures are increasing, and severe weather patterns are accelerating. These changes, coupled with other global dynamics, including growing, urbanizing, more affluent populations, and substantial economic growth in India, China, Brazil, and other nations, will devastate homes, land, and infrastructure. Climate change may exacerbate water scarcity and lead to sharp increases in food costs. The pressures caused by climate change will influence resource competition while placing additional burdens on economies, societies, and governance institutions around the world. These effects are threat multipliers that will aggravate stressors abroad such as poverty, environmental degradation, political instability, and social tensions – conditions that can enable terrorist activity and other forms of violence." p.30. http://www.defense.gov/pubs/2014_Quadrennial_Defense_Review.pdf

Is human well being threatened by our current activities? Would seem that the US Department of Defense has answered with a resounding "Yes".

Would seem that the US Department of Defense has answered with a resounding "Yes".

Ah yes, the people that paid $600 for a toilet seat and $7,000 for a coffee pot. Not the best source to believe about anything cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--ZvISAZ3- width=32 alt=cheesy.gif> cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--ZvISAZ3- width=32 alt=cheesy.gif> cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--ZvISAZ3- width=32 alt=cheesy.gif> .

Nothing that you say has proven that mankind has caused the problem, and you make no suggestions as to how to "fix" it.

NB you are contributing to the problem by using electricity, and I hope you don't drive a petrol driven car!

If you think I'm "contributing to the problem by using electricity" then doesn't that prove that YOU think mankind has caused the problem?

Perhaps I would like to see "the problem" intensified to the point that the Earth becomes sterile and Venus-like and is declared a Protected Park by the inhabitants of Gleise 581C

It is Obama's Department of Defense...not the US.

Meanwhile, those mean Republicans might actually be interested in the global warming hoax also.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Republicans To Investigate Climate Data Tampering By NASA
2:16 PM 02/20/2015
MICHAEL BASTASCH
Rohrabacher serves as the vice chairman of the House Science, Space and Technology Committee, which has jurisdiction over NASA and other agencies that monitor the Earth’s climate.
Rohrabacher has long been critical of the theory of man-made global warming. Lately, the California Republican has criticizing NASA and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration for allegedly tampering with temperature data to create an artificial warming trend. Such data is then used to justify regulations aimed at curbing fossil fuel use and other industrial activities.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"Climate change poses another significant challenge for the United States and the world at large. As greenhouse gas emissions increase, sea levels are rising, average global temperatures are increasing, and severe weather patterns are accelerating. These changes, coupled with other global dynamics, including growing, urbanizing, more affluent populations, and substantial economic growth in India, China, Brazil, and other nations, will devastate homes, land, and infrastructure. Climate change may exacerbate water scarcity and lead to sharp increases in food costs. The pressures caused by climate change will influence resource competition while placing additional burdens on economies, societies, and governance institutions around the world. These effects are threat multipliers that will aggravate stressors abroad such as poverty, environmental degradation, political instability, and social tensions – conditions that can enable terrorist activity and other forms of violence." p.30. http://www.defense.gov/pubs/2014_Quadrennial_Defense_Review.pdf

Is human well being threatened by our current activities? Would seem that the US Department of Defense has answered with a resounding "Yes".

Would seem that the US Department of Defense has answered with a resounding "Yes".

Ah yes, the people that paid $600 for a toilet seat and $7,000 for a coffee pot. Not the best source to believe about anything cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--ZvISAZ3- width=32 alt=cheesy.gif> cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--ZvISAZ3- width=32 alt=cheesy.gif> cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--ZvISAZ3- width=32 alt=cheesy.gif> .

Nothing that you say has proven that mankind has caused the problem, and you make no suggestions as to how to "fix" it.

NB you are contributing to the problem by using electricity, and I hope you don't drive a petrol driven car!

If you think I'm "contributing to the problem by using electricity" then doesn't that prove that YOU think mankind has caused the problem?

Perhaps I would like to see "the problem" intensified to the point that the Earth becomes sterile and Venus-like and is declared a Protected Park by the inhabitants of Gleise 581C

No, I don't think that using a car is causing CC, but the people that do believe that CC is man made must do, and as you appear to believe so, I'm asking what YOU are doing to avert the problem.

• Like 1

No, I don't think that using a car is causing CC, but the people that do believe that CC is man made must do, and as you appear to believe so, I'm asking what YOU are doing to avert the problem.

Prior to injecting my love liquids into women, I had myself sterilized. After all, no point scrimping on the petrol engine if you have sprogs that will grow up to burn carbon. Hell, I reckon not having children entitles me to drive at least 10 cars before I ever catch up to the damage caused by one single breeder.

Prior to injecting my love liquids into women, I had myself sterilized. After all, no point scrimping on the petrol engine if you have sprogs that will grow up to burn carbon. Hell, I reckon not having children entitles me to drive at least 10 cars before I ever catch up to the damage caused by one single breeder.

Well done. Pity more ( like 3 billion of us ) don't do the same. We are breeding ourselves into extinction.

BTW, I also have not inflicted sprogs on the planet. Figured there were more than enough already.

As an aside, I fail to understand why farangs that have a family already back home feel the need to inflict even more of their genes into the world when they move to Thailand after getting divorced.

Post deleted to allow posting.

Here's an article from US's National Public Radio, titled: My Depressing Day With A Famous Climate Skeptic

On Sunday, The New York Times ran a damning story about Wei-Hock "Willie" Soon, a scientist who's played an outsized role in the public debate over climate change.

Soon is a scientist at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics (CfA) and a prominent climate skeptic often cited by folks hoping to cast doubt on the current state of climate science. The Times story focused on Soon's extensive funding from fossil fuel industries. More importantly, the story highlighted the fact that Soon may have violated conflict-of-interest rules by not revealing these funding sources in his published papers.

The Times report concluded that:

"[soon] has accepted more than $1.2 million in money from the fossil-fuel industry over the last decade while failing to disclose that conflict of interest in most of his scientific papers. At least 11 papers he has published since 2008 omitted such a disclosure, and in at least eight of those cases, he appears to have violated ethical guidelines of the journals that published his work."

• Like 1

When there is evidence of him altering the temperature records to support his theory or a series of emails where he is discussing how to alter evidence to get a beneficial statistical result. Or if he began to use a campaign of emotional hyperbole instead of science to push his point across. Perhaps then we could see him as equal to the IPCC or other leading alarmists who are clearly being funded by organizations that benefit from climate fear.

At this point you can only show that he has found support for his opinion from organizations that are the targets of alarmism. Which is not surprising in any way. Lucky he found any funding at all, real science can be expensive.

Edited by canuckamuck
  • Like 2

It happened for many years, when Big Tobacco heads were doing all they could to snuff out (like a smoker might snuff out a cig butt) all scientific data showing cigarette smoke as harmful. Tobacco corp heads would find anyone with any scientific credentials - to put on the payroll (or under the table payments) to back the corporate line. It worked for a number of years. But all the tobacco kings' horses and all the kings' men couldn't keep the swelling truth from eventually busting the levee. Similar nowadays with Big Oil and their buddies trying to hold back the tide of truth re; an overall warming planet and its causes.

• Like 1

Well, I suppose it comes down to who you're going to believe: every single national academy of science in the world and the US Department of Defense or ... well, take your pick:

http://www.defense.g...14_sdr/qdr.aspx

"Climate change poses another significant challenge for the United States and the world at large. As greenhouse gas emissions increase, sea levels are rising, average global temperatures are increasing, and severe weather patterns are accelerating. These changes, coupled with other global dynamics, including growing, urbanizing, more affluent populations, and substantial economic growth in India, China, Brazil, and other nations, will devastate homes, land, and infrastructure. Climate change may exacerbate water scarcity and lead to sharp increases in food costs. The pressures caused by climate change will influence resource competition while placing additional burdens on economies, societies, and governance institutions around the world. These effects are threat multipliers that will aggravate stressors abroad such as poverty, environmental degradation, political instability, and social tensions – conditions that can enable terrorist activity and other forms of violence." p.30. http://www.defense.g...ense_Review.pdf

• Like 1

"Climate change poses another significant challenge for the United States and the world at large. As greenhouse gas emissions increase, sea levels are rising, average global temperatures are increasing, and severe weather patterns are accelerating.

This is not true, for 20 years now, and the rest is a scario based on the part that is not true.

• Like 1

Thank for that, very interesting. As far as CO2 release is concerned, those are nothing compared to even a small volcanic vent, but a very interesting phenomenon just the same. I wonder what is the source of ignition.

"Climate change poses another significant challenge for the United States and the world at large. As greenhouse gas emissions increase, sea levels are rising, average global temperatures are increasing, and severe weather patterns are accelerating.

This is not true, for 20 years now, and the rest is a scario based on the part that is not true.

The US Department of Defense does not lie.

Thank for that, very interesting. As far as CO2 release is concerned, those are nothing compared to even a small volcanic vent, but a very interesting phenomenon just the same. I wonder what is the source of ignition.

So far for sure, but look at this!

Melting Arctic permafrost could trigger "unstoppable climate change" as it releases ever increasing levels of methane gas, scientists have warned.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/environment/climatechange/5049214/Melting-permafrost-could-trigger-unstoppable-climate-change.html

Seems to be what they were warning of. Of course they - the main stream media - want us to remain calm and so don't tell us the whole disastrous truth, but just look at the pictures from Siberia - looks like Manuel Noriega's face!

• Like 1

Oh yeah I forgot. whistling.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 2

Melting Arctic permafrost could trigger "unstoppable climate change" as it releases ever increasing levels of methane gas, scientists have warned.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/environment/climatechange/5049214/Melting-permafrost-could-trigger-unstoppable-climate-change.html

Seems to be what they were warning of. Of course they - the main stream media - want us to remain calm and so don't tell us the whole disastrous truth, but just look at the pictures from Siberia - looks like Manuel Noriega's face!

Well it could conceivably happen. This planet has recorded some huge shifts in global temperature before. And there isn't anything that could have been done to stop it then - just like now.

Oh yeah I forgot. alt=whistling.gif> cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--ZvISAZ3- alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20> cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--ZvISAZ3- alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20>cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--ZvISAZ3- alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20>

Look, it's pretty clear. When the US Department of Defense agrees with me it's because they're telling the truth and when someone else disagrees with the US Department of Defense when they agree with me it's because they don't support the troops. Of course, when the the US Department of Defense don't agree with me it's because they're at the beck and call of an administration I don't like.

Well it could conceivably happen. This planet has recorded some huge shifts in global temperature before. And there isn't anything that could have been done to stop it then - just like now.

True enough. Some time in the next 100 million years - maybe sooner maybe later - this planet is sure to be hit by a huge planet killer asteroid. Of course that doesn't mean that we should rain rocks and boulders down upon hour heads and say "it's gonna happen sooner or later anyway".

Oh yeah I forgot. alt=whistling.gif> cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--ZvISAZ3- alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20> cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--ZvISAZ3- alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20>cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--ZvISAZ3- alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20>

Look, it's pretty clear. When the US Department of Defense agrees with me it's because they're telling the truth and when someone else disagrees with the US Department of Defense when they agree with me it's because they don't support the troops. Of course, when the the US Department of Defense don't agree with me it's because they're at the beck and call of an administration I don't like.

If you bothered you could find all sorts of nasty things done by the DOD. Lying would be the least of their offenses. People don't usually go to the military when they are looking for truth and an unbiased opinion.

The silly methane scare gets trotted out at regular intervals by activists and is faithfully picked up by the dim-bulb media.

For the record, here is what Nature magazine said in July 2013:

Catastrophic, widespread dissociation of methane gas hydrates will not be triggered by continued climate warming at contemporary rates (0.2ºC per decade; IPCC 2007) over timescales of a few hundred years. Most of Earth’s gas hydrates occur at low saturations and in sediments at such great depths below the seafloor or onshore permafrost that they will barely be affected by warming over even 1000 years.

I think NASA has a better grip on the subject than anyone here so I tend to listen to those experts and not hearsay or wives tales:

source: http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/climate_by_any_other_name.html

definitions per NASA:

Global warming: the increase in Earth’s average surface temperature due to rising levels of greenhouse gases.
Climate change: a long-term change in the Earth’s climate, or of a region on Earth.

Both things are happening, so get over it. All the arguments why are just spectiltive. We are a mere flea on and Elephant's butt. Takes a planet to change things not just as group to solve this problem and that ain't going happen anytime soon. Plus it could go the other way too...."Global Cooling"...hence Ice Age. Tell me hasn't happened either.

But all the tobacco kings' horses and all the kings' men couldn't keep the swelling truth from eventually busting the levee. Similar nowadays with Big Oil and their buddies trying to hold back the tide of truth re; an overall warming planet and its causes.

Or, equally, Big Green and their buddies trying to hold back the tide of truth that the gradual warming is trivial and benign, and that the countless trillions of dollars they are leaching from taxpayers worldwide is simply funding politicians' vanity projects and has no relevance to science, the environment, or the planet

This, in fact, is precisely the position confirmed last week by Christiana Figueres, executive secretary of the U.N.'s Framework Convention on Climate Change. She admitted that the goal of environmental activists is not to save the world from ecological calamity but to destroy capitalism.

"This is the first time in the history of mankind that we are setting ourselves the task of intentionally, within a defined period of time, to change the economic development model that has been reigning for at least 150 years, since the Industrial Revolution," she said.

Whoever ends up living in a yurt powered by tallow candles, you can bet it won't be Ms. Figueres.
I don't feel a compulsion to agree with everything every GW believer says. However, the quote from Ms Christiana Figueres is interesting. Saying; "change the economic development model that has been reigning for at least 150 years," ...infers (to me) standing back from the standard model of development which most seekers of big profits have been aiming for. Here, in a nutshell is how I see that pattern which I think she refers to:

>>> get ahold of natural resources, as much as possible, for as cheap as possible. That includes trees, metals, properties, animals/fish, oil, or whatever one can grab, regardless of environmental damage.

>>> sell those resources, whether raw or made into products or electricity/energy, for as much money as the market will bear.

In that sense, yes, I would like to see the economic model change - toward more husbandry for the planet and its species, rather than rape, take, hoodwink indigenous people, steal, or however natural resources are taken. Look at the history of the Belgian Congo in the 19th century, or what's happening in Amazon currently, for just 2 of the millions of examples of callous manifestations of human greed.

I'm glad we have people like Ms Figueres in such positions, rather than one of the thousand Chinese or American billionaires who see everything purely in how many dollars they can squeeze out of it.

• Like 1