Looking for ideas - teaching a 7 year old Thai

samran

Hi everyone.

Am hunting about for good ideas on how to acheive this.

My daughter, though born in Thailand, has spent most of her formative language years outside of Thailand.

Now back in Thailand we are sending her to an international school, so her day to day exposure is almost entirely in English. Home life is English as well (we don't have a nanny etc).

I speak Thai, but as I think as some as you understand, once you start communicating with someone in a particular language, you tend to stick to that language. She does Thai lessons a couple of times per week at school, I assist her with her homework, and when out and about she hears a bit more than other native English speakers would, but I just know that will never be enough.

Sending her to Thai school full time isn't an option, for a variety of reasons. So I'm struggling to think how I can get her regular exposure.

One simple way would simply be to get a Thai speaking nanny (probably on the horizon anyway).

I'd like to see if I could send her to a Thai lanugage 'summer school' during the June/July break. But am not sure if there is a good place in BKK to do this where there is a supportive environment (almost like Thai as a second language school).

So I'm struggling for ideas, and will open the floor to those who might have better ones!

Homestays are popular for Thais learning English. So if you have any non English speaking relatives have her live with them for a month during the summer break.

Get her involved in some Thai clubs or activities and try to encourage her to use Thai when you guys are out and about in the city. The problem with Nannies is that they aren't typically educated so the language might not be desirable.

Definitely try to make play dates with friends that speak Thai.

The last resort would be Thai tv and karaoke but they are effective but you might have to spend more time explaining bad behaviors.

My daughter hates when my wife and I speak Thai, so I understand that dilemma. But still try to use Thai whenever you can. We review her our daughters homework and worksheets everyday in English and then in Thai. Make her explain things in full detail rather than 1-2 word answers.

Though you want her to go to International school, you really must ask yourself where you want her to live and work. If you think that she will live in the west, then do what you are doing. However if you think that Thailand might be her home, you might want to reconsider and find a high quality Thai school. There is a lot more to learn than just facts. Having the right connections and social relationships with people here might aid her a lot more.

Good luck. It is a tough call whatever you do and there is no guarantee what works for one works for all. Just do what you think is right and try to problem solve when things are an issue.

• Like 1