After 22 years, 'Tonight Show' host Jay Leno signs off

webfact

After 22 years, 'Tonight Show' host Jay Leno signs off

WASHINGTON - Talk show icon Jay Leno bid farewell to his remarkable 22-year run at the top of the late-night US television heap on Thursday when he signed off from NBC's "The Tonight Show" for the last time.

"I want to thank you guys. You folks have been incredible," an emotional Leno, 63, told his fans in concluding his final broadcast.

"I’m the luckiest guy in the world," he added. "I got to meet presidents, astronauts, movie stars -- it’s just been incredible."

Country music titan Garth Brooks and comedian Billy Crystal -- Leno’s first guest back in May 1992 -- appeared as special guests on what NBC called "Jay’s historic farewell episode."

The silver-haired, square-jawed comedian and classic-car enthusiast is an American icon, famous for skewering hapless politicians in his opening monologue and welcoming celebrity guests for breezy interviews.

But this week has been all about sentimentality, with the indefatigable Betty White, 92, appearing Monday, country star Lyle Lovett playing a sad ballad Tuesday, and actress Sandra Bullock shedding tears Wednesday.

Crystal, a nine-time Academy Awards host who starred in the 1989 comedy hit "When Harry Met Sally...", reckoned Leno had told 160,000 jokes -- and gone through three studio band leaders.

"You were America’s nightlight," said Crystal, who went on to lead a rousing rendition of "So Long Farewell" from the Broadway musical "The Sound of Music."

AFP

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-02-07

I started watching the Tonight Show in the mid 50s when Steve Allen was the host...followed by Jack Paar, Johnny Carson and Leno.

In my opinion Carson was the best, but the shows with Steve Allen and Paar were live and lots more fun to watch. Constant bloopers.

• Like 1

So was jimmy Carson ???

Jimmy who?

I came to the tonight show in the Johnny Carson era, and thought that Leno was lame as a replacement. He grew on me though, and I am also sad to hear that he is leaving.

The last time I read it, and it was several years ago, Leno was paid US$16 million per year. He has an amazing car collection, especially '30's Dusenbergs, but many more, too.

I doubt if he's worried about where his next meal is coming from.

He is probably more worried about where his next Duesenberg is coming from!

Jay Leno has a really cool Youtube channel; Jay Leno's Garage. There is usually a new episode every week where he features one of his toys or someone else's that is interesting. It is worth checking out if you are into cars, motorcycles, steam power or lots of other cool stuff like he is.

http://www.youtube.com/user/JayLenosGarage

I could see giving up 16 mil per year to go and spend my retirement years playing in a toy-box like this!

Watched his final show, he was choked up. Good to see Letterman publicly bury the hatchet and congratulate Leno too. Fallon is the most talented guy to take the show but nobody, nobody can ever top Johnny Carson.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Life does tick on by. I remember when Johnny Carson handed over the mantle to Jay Leno. I loved Carson; hated Leno. Then at some point I started to like Leno. He handed it over (sort of) to Conan. I loved Leno; hated Conan. Now he's handing it over to Fallon. I still love Leno and hate Fallon. Next year, I am sure I will like enjoy Fallon -- actually, what I've seen of Fallon, he seems pretty good.

Leno had such a middle of the road type of humor that he was really likable. He had good interviewing skills and intertwined humor with his show.

Best of luck to him.

[Leno] had good interviewing skills and intertwined humor with his show.

This is a major reason why I stopped watching Leno years ago. At some point in the past he got stock in an interview rut. He would ask the same 3-4 questions to every guest.

1) How is your pet doing?

2) How are your kids doing?

3) Last time you were on the show we talked about ....

They are useless fluff questions. I don't care about the person's dog, or that their kids cry every day before going to school or what you talked about last time.

From the YouTube clips I have seen of Jimmy Fallon, he seems like he will be a great replacement.

• Like 1

Leno was bland, like pablum. His appeal was mediocrity. Nothing original, nothing cutting edge. Guests were booked on to promote their latest work, for contractual reasons, not because they wanted to be there. He lacked the uniqueness of Letterman and was not particularly well respected by other comedians. I've seen the clip of Carson showing up on Letterman and the mutual affection was genuine. Even Ellen De Generes had an endearing warmth. One just couldn't warm up to his phoney baloney persona. Craig Ferguson ran circles around Leno and Jimmy Fallon will let people easily forget Leno. The winners in this are NBC and its owners. He wasn't worth the bloated contract.

This is how I would summarize the whole late night deal. In the post-apocalyptic world of life without Johnny Carson, we were left with a shootout between Letterman and Leno. (You have to be pretty old to remember Jack Parr) Letterman is and was edgier, much more overtly political, and has a more quirky sense of humor that some people don't get. Letterman always said that Leno was the best stand up comedian he ever met and knew he could never get the laughs that Leno got. Leno kept it mainstream, and as a result always won the ratings against Letterman. Letterman got richer, because he's a better businessman with his producing, etc.. They are both multi-hundred millionaires. Leno was a nasty, conniving, highly political animal with NBC, and he won out against Letterman for the show even though Carson wanted Letterman to take it. Turns out it was the right decision, as Leno has been the ratings leader for the past 22 years every year. Letterman has gotten the last laugh in effect, because he's still there, and Leno's gone.

Conan is funny, but has been relegated to cable obscurity, and sort of lost. Ferguson doesn't count. The game is really between Kimmel (mainstream like Leno) vs. Fallon (cutting edge and has the young demographic firmly). I'd say NBC made the right move and Fallon will keep it the winning franchise. Fallon is clearly the most talented guy to ever host late night, though not a natural stand up comedian like Leno. Kimmel has a great advantage in that he really schmoozes with all the stars, parties with them etc., and they like him.

I have enjoyed watching all these guys, and as I said, nobody even comes close to Carson.

• Like 1