Surapong believes deporting Indian businessman Satish Sehgal won't affect Thai-Indian relations

webfact

Surapong believes deporting Indian businessman won't affect Thai-Indian relations
By Digital Content

13917695488659.jpg

BANGKOK, Feb 8 - Caretaker Deputy Prime Minister/Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul said he believed the deportation of Indian businessman Satish Sehgal will not negatively affect Thai-Indian relations.

Mr Surapong, chief advisor of the Centre for Maintaining Peace and Order (CMPO), said the agency's meeting today is discussing on the deportation of Mr Satish, former president of the Thai-Indian Business Association and a key leader of the anti-government People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC), and issuing arrest warrants for those disrupting the election.

The CMPO chief advisor said that he is certain the deportation will not affect the two countries' relations, for the Thai and Indian prime ministers maintain good relations and India is a democratic country. He is also certain that the deportation will not affect trade and investment between the two nations.

Pol Maj Gen Anucha Ramayanand, deputy spokesman for the Royal Thai Police Bureau, said the matter is for the Immigration Bureau to consider who has the right to stay in Thailand, followed by another committee chaired by the permanent-secretary for Interior and the cabinet respectively.

Under the currently-imposed Emergency Decree, the caretaker prime minister or her representative could order a foreigner's deportation under reasonable circumstances if he/she plays a part of instigating emergency situations. However, the accused foreigner has the right to appeal at court according to law.

Meanwhile, Chumsilp Sottipridavong, Mr Satish's representative, submitted a letter to Nirand Pitakwachara, president of the national civil and political rights sub-committee, asking for a probe of CMPO director Chalerm Yubamrung who announced the deportation order.

The letter stated that such announcement strongly violated Mr Satish's basic human rights as well as affected his business and caused him defamation and life insecurity. Mr Satish has not had any political activities during the Emergency Decree enforcement, the latter noted.

Dr Nirand said he will write a letter to Mr Chalerm, asking him for legal leniency on the case as well as inviting him and Mr Satish himself or his representative to clarify the matter next week.

In a related matter, CMPO agreed that nationwide immigration checkpoints prohibit 19 PDRC leaders with arrest warrants to leave the country, while Mr Satish's deportation could take affect today or by tomorrow morning at the latest.

CMPO will announce its list of 136 PDRC financial sponsors by next Monday. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-02-08

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Police: Eviction of Indian tycoon-turned-activist underway

BANGKOK, 8 February 2014 (NNT) – The Royal Thai Police has disclosed that the deportation of Mr Satish Sehgal, an Indian businessman who is a leading member of the anti-government movement, is progressing and will be considered by the Cabinet at the end.

The Center for Maintaining Peace and Order (CMPO) previously announced that an order would be issued to have Mr Sehgal expelled from Thailand for his role as one of the core leaders of the People’s Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC). Regarding this matter, Deputy National Police Spokesperson Pol Maj Gen Anucha Romyanan said the Immigration Bureau was the agency in charge.

The deputy spokesman elaborated that the bureau would examine Mr Sehgal’s past actions and determine whether or not he should remain in the kingdom. The result will then be forwarded to the Cabinet for consideration. He pointed out that under the state of emergency, the Prime Minister or her designated person has the authority to evict any foreign national deemed to be a threat to national security. However, he noted that the individual facing a deportation order could lodge an appeal with the Administrative Court.

Mr Sehgal, who was born in Delhi, has been living in Thailand since he was 5 but still holds Indian citizenship. He is a notable business tycoon and has taken many important positions, including Chairman of the Thai-Indian Chamber of Commerce and President of the Thai-Indian Business Association.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-02-08 footer_n.gif

Some of these yellow shirt protesters think they are invincible. They cowardly hide behind the Thai flag and other props, to prop up their spaceball beliefs while they go around thinking they have a free pass and can literally get away with murder (and many have already).

Satish however, doesn't quite qualify for the free pass being a foreigner. Funny, he says he is Thai, why does this dumb ass have such little knowledge of Thai culture ?

RBSC is hardly the real thailand I think. It is a tiny tiny part of the real thailand.

Surapong believes deporting Indian businessman won't affect Thai-Indian relations

I think MR. ALIEN is just plainly stupid and doesn't SA-PEAAAK English anyway as a Foreign Minister. He just brabbles crap that nobody in the world stage wants to hear....cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 1

This is like a TAT announcement.

Protests won't effect tourists.

Deporting the head of the chamber of commerce won't hurt.... Yeah right.

The head of the chamber of commerce is not being deported. India has similar laws and regulations in place, and has deported people for less visible political activity.

The man is described as a "tycoon", as an "important" businessman. What exactly is his business in Thailand, aside from promoting Indian weddings?

Can anyone please explain how he is a tycoon? What is his importance to the Thai economy?

Can't imagine there's much trade between the two countries to begin with. They most like compete for exports of similar products like both being major rice exporters. Maybe they'll stop exporting all the Indian sex-tourists I see in Pattaya...as I'm sure this trade is pretty unbalanced in India's favor.

Yes, he has been foolish given the uncertainty over his status but there should be some common sense and fairness applied in his case. I don't agree with his views and behaviour but the punishment exceeds the crime IMHO

What is the uncertainty of his status? He is an Indian national, not Thai.

The head of the chamber of commerce is not being deported. India has similar laws and regulations in place, and has deported people for less visible political activity.

The man is described as a "tycoon", as an "important" businessman. What exactly is his business in Thailand, aside from promoting Indian weddings?

Can anyone please explain how he is a tycoon? What is his importance to the Thai economy?

He's an industrialist with fingers in many pies and is also quite a big player in property.

You do realise that almost all of Sukhumvit from Ekkamai to Nana is owned by a handful of Indian clans?

He does Chamber of Commerce stuff as a part time job/hobby and the wedding reception idea was most likely just a throw-away idea during a meeting which he recalled for the benefit of the interviewing journalist.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by Trembly

All excellent questions.

Dr Nirand said he will write a letter to Mr Chalerm, asking him for legal leniency on the case as well as inviting him and Mr Satish himself or his representative to clarify the matter next week.

Just keep the booze handy when you meet up with Chalerm, and no problem...

He's an industrialist with fingers in many pies and is also quite a big player in property.

You do realise that almost all of Sukhumvit from Ekkamai to Nana is owned by a handful of Indian clans?

He does Chamber of Commerce stuff as a part time job/hobby and the wedding reception idea was most likely just a throw-away idea during a meeting which he recalled for the benefit of the interviewing journalist.

*Deleted post edited out*

Well don't keep us hanging then, spill the beans about Sathit Sehgal's businesses . . .

Edited by Scott
Deleted post edited out

Can't imagine there's much trade between the two countries to begin with. They most like compete for exports of similar products like both being major rice exporters. Maybe they'll stop exporting all the Indian sex-tourists I see in Pattaya...as I'm sure this trade is pretty unbalanced in India's favor.

Your ignorance is overwhelming. There is a massive amount of trade between India and Thailand, especially in the manufacturing sector.

• Like 1

The article in the morning paper stated, he felt that it would not effect relations between both countries as "India is a Democracy" and "Mr. Satish's speeches were not in line with democratic ideals"

You sure make a grab for any straws that may be available, huh!

Cheers

Edited by kikoman

Elite Farang are free to protest.

A few Poor Farangs jailed and then deported by Suthep in 2010, for what crime? Appear on Red-shirt stage.

If this not double standard, what is this?

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/2010/07/09/politics/British-red-shirt-pleads-guilty-faces-deportation-30133404.html

Edited by Suriya4
  • Like 1

He's Indian, what's he doing being so.visibly involved in Thai domestic politics? Most things I read advise foreigners to keep out of such things. I know it wouldn't go over very well in the States if some rich foreigner was a member of a clique leading an effort to overthrow our elected federal government!

In fairness, according to the report, he's been living in Thai since he was 5!! That's means he's being there over 50 years which makes his situation different than some farang married to a hooker for a few years! Its a quite vindictive and harsh punishment....

I don't really see it that way. More likely just thought that because he's rich the rules that apply to others didn't apply to him. This being Thailand, I actually don't think he'll be deported...just like Suthep, I'm sure "influential" figures involved in his insurrection against an elected government will protect him. Either that or he'll just buy his way out. I'm just saying that I wouldn't be put out if he was deported that's all.

You claim he is an "industrialist". Ok. Which industry. if you know he's an industrialist, please educate me and tell me which industries the man has invested in. What are these pies you refer to. Don't just throw out a claim, please give me something substantive. I have a good idea of what the man does, but you do not otherwise you would have been more specific.

So the Chamber of Commerce activity, is now just a hobby.? Are you aware that he was lobbying the then Democrat administration support him in his quest to promote Indian weddings in Thailand? Weddings are not a throw away, as they formed a corner stone of his business activities. My understanding is that the these Indian weddings would bring in Indians, where they would be greeted by Indian shuttle drivers, and taken to Indian owned properties to eat Indian food and to stay in facilities where the profits went into the pockets of Indians.

The man was the principal of the family controlled Sehgal Group. See if you come to the same conclusion that I did;

Advertising & Media Consultants Co., Ltd. (AMC) was formed in 1971 by Mr. Satish and Ravi Sehgal as a publishing house in Bangkok, Thailand. The company publishes LOOKEAST magazine, a monthly English language travel magazine with a circulation of over 20,000 copies. AMC also says it publishes the only available monthly flight schedule directory,called the Thailand Airline Timetable. It is supposedly available through subscription and from leading bookstores throughout the country. AMC also claims to publish annual directories, author’s books, coffee table books, yearbooks, catalogues, brochures, and similar items. The websites are www.lookeastmagazine.com and www.thailandairlinetmetable.com (I believe that Thailand Airline Timetable is not operational. In the west, we refer to these directories and mailings by other terms.)

Exclusive Properties Co., Ltd was formed in 1985 by Mr. Satish Sehgal, Mr. Ravi Sehgal, and Mr. Arthit Sehgal as a property management company. The company currently owns and manages properties in and around Bangkok, Kanchanaburi, and Pak Chong. (Would you like to see what these properties are? )

Thai Mailing Service (TMS) was formed in 1997 by Mr. Arthit Sehgal as a Print & Mail In Source & Out Source bureau services company specializing in high speed digital printing, high speed insertion, Direct Mail processing, letter shopping, SMS services, full system storage & parcel processing and mail room operations, digital data entry and onsite staff placement. TMS has recently invested in a Four Color Digital Inkjet Color system delivering digital variable color addressing on envelopes, postcards, and many other materials. www.tms.co.th (Know what this activity is typically called?)

Global Gourmet Systems Co., Ltd (GGS) was formed in 2004 by Mr. Siddharth Sehgal. The company owns and operates Indus, a leading Indian restaurant and catering service in Sukhumvit Soi 26. The restaurant opened in December 2005. The website is www.indusbangkok.com

Global Travel Consultants Co., Ltd (GTC) was formed in 2008 by Mr. Siddharth Sehgal and Mr. Gaurav Sehgal. GTC is a travel agency located in Sukhumvit Soi 26 that provides the following services: Ticketing, Hotel Reservations, Sightseeing & Tours, Wedding Services, Conference Services, and Holiday Packages. The website is www.lookeasttravels.com (Ahh, so now we see why he was big on promoting the Indian wedding business and wanted that promotion that the Democrats undertook when they were in power.)

This is the great industrialist. He has a number of small businesses typical of hard working entrepreneurs. I haven't eaten in his Indian restaurant, so I don't know what it's like. However, I'm not a fan of Indian food in Thailand. It looks like he's a guy who runs travel junkets and capitalizing on the activity by having a stake in the places where the travelers stay, what they eat and the tours they take. Nothing wrong with that. He knows how to exploit a niche. However, to call him an industrialist, a builder of Thai society IMO is a stretch. I don't doubt his work ethic, nor denigrate his taking care of his family and making sure they all have employment in the family businesses. However, we have all seen these Indian travel shops in Thailand and know what they are and the market they cater to. Please do not dress up what the man does. I'm sorry, but he's basically a travel promoter targeting the Indian market, and nothing more.

Edited by Scott
  • Like 2