Breakaway red-shirt party 'happy' with poll results

webfact

Breakaway red-shirt party 'happy' with poll results
Pravit Rojapahruk
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The new red-shirt party Palang Prachathipatai is satisfied with its result in the district-based parliamentary election - despite not winning a seat.

The party, formed late last year by red shirts disillusioned with the ruling Pheu Thai Party's attempt to pass a blanket amnesty bill, ran on a platform of introducing a social welfare system in Thailand.

It also pledged to free all political prisoners including those detained under the lese majeste law.

"I felt it [the election] was really positive," party adviser Jittra Kotchadej said.

"We've talked about a welfare state for a long time and now that we're a political party, there are more people talking about it. When we go on a campaign, more people know us."

The party's name means Democratic Force Party.

It fielded 36 candidates in the election, mostly in the North and the Northeast, and also competed in the party-list system.

Of the eight seats where the Palang Prachathipatai ran and where final results are known, its candidates attracted a combined 93,200 votes.

The party's candidate in Lamphun province received the most votes - more than 19,000.

Even in Bangkok, one of the little-known party's candidates managed to get 2,000 votes.

Jittra said the party still hoped to get one party-list MP, given only about 100,000 votes were needed.

The party is more concerned about attracting 5,000 party members by May, as required by the election law, to avoid being dissolved - a tough task for a little-known entity.

Jittra said the party was keen to become a genuine people-based mass organisation not under the sway of big capitalists or elite politicians like others.

"We're not a replacement party for the Pheu Thai Party," Jittra said.

"Others like Red Sunday group leader Sombat Boon-ngamanong said most red shirts will still have to rely on the ruling Pheu Thai Party, however, as they have a real chance of forming government.

"I still hope the Pheu Thai Party will reform itself. If it doesn't, more alternative parties will emerge."

Sombat, meanwhile, said the Palang Prachathipatai had his support.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-02-08

• Like 1

As I posted elsewhere, the biggest handicap to democracy in Thailand is that the political parties are structured all wrong. In functioning democracies the power within political parties lies at the grassroots. Ordinary members select representatives who then stand before the wider public for election. And if the grassroots members don't like those leaders or if they become electoral liabilities, they're out. In Thailand, the leaders of the parties or their powerful sponsors have all the power and the ordinary members are just cannon fodder to be herded to the voting booths or wheeled out in street demonstrations. It's a sort of ersatz democracy. A real bottom - up party based on political ideas rather than feudal culture - no matter what its political stance - is a real breath of fresh air..I wish this lot all the best.

You make a good point, I have made the same comment till I am blue in the face, over a period of time , the democrats are now experimenting with getting the grass roots at some provincial meetings to elect their candidate, this will proceed slowly, going by present democrats boycott of all things beautiful, none the less you make a valid point and you are right, this is the cause of all Thailand's political problems, the people just are the pawns in a big game.

• Like 1

cheesy.gif Some members here have not been in Thailand long enough to have seen Thaksin buying up small parties a decade ago...

Well he bought up Chavalit's little band, and he bought up Chatichi, and he bought up Newin and Sanoh. Probably the only true political party that he swallowed was the PDP. All of the other parties he bought up were pretty much fiefdoms that had been created as personal vehicles of advancement by already high-serving politicians. None of them were grassroots parties.

• Like 2

associating themselves to the reds was their first mistake, the last Thailand needs is a new communist party like the reds in parliament. For any party to work they need to set themselves up with no preselected official before they even begin or its just a farce, you start a party then have the members elect the representitive that will nominate but here that would go to the one paying the most money so it is pointless. Real democracy is when people get to vote without being told who they have to vote for, without being paid/bribed to vote and making up their own minds without the threat of violence. In Thailand this does not happen, it also helps when they are told the truth and not the innuendo and lies that are spread by the party and their enforcers which the ptp and reds have down pat. Until we see independant groups here forming parties based on what is best for the people and the country(and not the parties pockets/bank account) with all members as equals this will never change.

As I posted elsewhere, the biggest handicap to democracy in Thailand is that the political parties are structured all wrong. In functioning democracies the power within political parties lies at the grassroots. Ordinary members select representatives who then stand before the wider public for election. And if the grassroots members don't like those leaders or if they become electoral liabilities, they're out. In Thailand, the leaders of the parties or their powerful sponsors have all the power and the ordinary members are just cannon fodder to be herded to the voting booths or wheeled out in street demonstrations. It's a sort of ersatz democracy. A real bottom - up party based on political ideas rather than feudal culture - no matter what its political stance - is a real breath of fresh air..I wish this lot all the best.

This is absolutely right. It is, in part, a reflection of the top-down, genuflecting [or be beaten down] culture that one finds in every institution in Thailand, be it schools, govt. service, religion, families, armed forces, etc.

In addition, I would point to the obstacles placed in the way of registering a party and getting on the ballot here. It is made very very difficult for genuine grassroots organisations to enter politics. The obstacles are both legal and extralegal.

• Like 2

They followed the law and the election process- they went for the vote. They got votes, and they achieved a step towards their democratic goal - they sound sound. Very unusual for Thailand. Makes Abhisit's no show even more preposterous.

Abhisits "no show" is not preposterous... it was a decision by the Democrat Party to withdraw from this election because an election in Thailand at this moment in time is not fair and not democratic. There are many many seats in the North and North East where it is impossible for some parties to field candidates to contest that seat, due to violence and threats from certain groups of thugs. Once Thailand has a level playing field for ALL candidates and all parties then and only then can there be a fair election..And that my friend means REFORM.... But the Shinewatras will try to hold on to power at all costs...wai2.gif

Suthep reform = make sure the rules are changed so that whatever Thaksin does we still win the election

• Like 1

Not so fast!

This party just very recently came into being. Let's wait and see, what it stands for and what they will be fightign for,- if any.

And of course a bottom-up created outfit is better than a top-down party a la Taksin's PTP el al.

It's also possible, that this party will be sucked up by PTP if it gains any influence. As mentioned here, even much bigger ones were brought "into the fold". And most parties here are like a business: They serve the boss and the boss only. If in doubt, ask Newin.

Not so fast!

This party just very recently came into being. Let's wait and see, what it stands for and what they will be fightign for,- if any.

And of course a bottom-up created outfit is better than a top-down party a la Taksin's PTP el al.

It's also possible, that this party will be sucked up by PTP if it gains any influence. As mentioned here, even much bigger ones were brought "into the fold". And most parties here are like a business: They serve the boss and the boss only. If in doubt, ask Newin.

Hopefully they will stay true to their word and not side with any of the existing crooks, sorry, politicians. Sadly they have a small chance of survival as the powers on both sides do not want such a party to develop. I hope they get this going as it is what Thailand needs.

With a platform like that, I'm surprised they didn't garner more votes. But the fact that we have a splinter breakaway party from the Pheu Thai/UDD mold is fascinating, as these groups come to realize that the Pheu Thai agenda wasn't quite as " pure " as they thought.

• Like 1

They followed the law and the election process- they went for the vote. They got votes, and they achieved a step towards their democratic goal - they sound sound. Very unusual for Thailand. Makes Abhisit's no show even more preposterous.

An they are satisfied with the results - despite not winning a seat.

Hats off to them I say. This is the sort of mindset and mentality needed. Don't expect shortcuts to victory. Instead, continually refine your gameplan to achieve your goals.

Wish this new party well and hope they serve as an example to others who want to develop new parties from the bottom-up. Regardless of their political beliefs it can only be good for Thailand to have new parties competing for votes through policies and not the pork barrel without attachments to the old guard of politicians.

I don't think there is a single major figure in Thai politics who is untainted by the past, so it will take a complete unknown to come through if Thailand is to shake off corruption and nepotism. It will be a long journey and many will fall by the wayside, but the new parties need to be encouraged and their voices heard.

While an admirable sentiment it seems contradicted by reality.

I cite a few democracies with which I am familiar Ireland USA and Germany in each the main governing parties have not been bottom up but big business,unions and senior figures have similar leverage to here.

There are ven dynastys of leading political families,Kennedys Bushes,Clintons etc.

They do however have more overt press courts and less overt corruption.

Unlike here if I had a small theft I would be happy to contact the police,here everyone knows to have as little to do with them as possible.

The unmentionable hand is the part of the equation excluded from all domestic coverage for obvious reasons.May be like systematic abuse at theVatican this may change but not yet.

And they will have their efforts anulled and declared invalid if Suthep gets his way.

A people council with 0 votes will rule Thailand.

But it is now the PTP who want this embarrassing election annulled. Have you not been following the news again?

This little red riding hood of a party is riding on the back of the ineptitude of the Thaksin government.

Get it?