Atv's might be street legal

Berra65

What a great idea! It will be like chain saws. I already have an ATV that I imported, but if it is like chainsaws with mandatory registration, I'll never be able to comply with it because my ATV is already in the country. I busted my ass to register my Stihl chainsaw with 20" bar that I imported. I tried everything. Offered to pay fees and taxes, went in under the "amnesty" they had several months ago. All I got was, "No, you can't prove where it came from, you can't have a license."

This does not look good to me. I would rather have no registration scheme and take my chances that have mandatory registration and get it confiscated just because I have it.

Why is most people in the forums in Thai visa

Got nothing positive to say?

Looks like most people posting try there best to find something negative to say.

Maybe that is just the nature of expat forums.

I am getting out of here

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

What a great idea! It will be like chain saws. I already have an ATV that I imported, but if it is like chainsaws with mandatory registration, I'll never be able to comply with it because my ATV is already in the country. I busted my ass to register my Stihl chainsaw with 20" bar that I imported. I tried everything. Offered to pay fees and taxes, went in under the "amnesty" they had several months ago. All I got was, "No, you can't prove where it came from, you can't have a license."

This does not look good to me. I would rather have no registration scheme and take my chances that have mandatory registration and get it confiscated just because I have it.

Sorry as i am confused.... Are chainsaws not legal here our something?

yankee99, Here is a thread on chainsaws to enlighten you

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/652685-my-new-chainsaw-needs-a-license-as-it-is-a-weapon-is-that-correct/

Berra65, maybe it is the nature of Thailand's rules that minimizes positive comments, and not the posters

I will love to drive a golf cart or a ATV here, but I live in a busy city....if not. Long ago I met a retired Australian living in Rayon Beach that uses a golf cart to drive around, even inside town. Because everybody, specially the police guys in town known him, he do not have any trouble doing that. I got a ride with him, riding slow, very safely, and having fun with people's comments.....

Edited by umbanda

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/652685-my-new-chainsaw-needs-a-license-as-it-is-a-weapon-is-that-correct/

Berra65, maybe it is the nature of Thailand's rules that minimizes positive comments, and not the posters

I dunno

I dunno where most people lived before or if the forgot how it is where they lived before

This is by far the easiest country so far for me and I have a few places to compare with. Even if there is a few odd laws or regulations. You still get away with it.

For example if you drive off-road in Germany you will be in so much trouble you would not believe even if it is your own land

Same goes for Catalonia in Spain if you go off your property

You need schooling and a license to go fishing aso

And it won't be a small fine

Even compare with India Thailand is a dream when it comes to rules

This country is grate to live in if you start to look around a bit

Maybe it was better before when everything was more easy. But it is still grate. So sorry I can not understand minimizes positive comments

Over and out for me.

• Like 2

I dunno

I dunno where most people lived before or if the forgot how it is where they lived before

This is by far the easiest country so far for me and I have a few places to compare with. Even if there is a few odd laws or regulations. You still get away with it.

For example if you drive off-road in Germany you will be in so much trouble you would not believe even if it is your own land

Maybe it was better before when everything was more easy. But it is still grate. So sorry I can not understand minimizes positive comments

Over and out for me.

Wow you need schooling to go fishing in Germany? I know you need a Lic. in the U.S. for most type of fishing on a river or a lake(not ocean)

But I have to agree some of the negativity is not a reflection of the posters but the insane laws like the chain saw laws & other goofy restrictions .(Of course there are some of the grumpier Farangs that have nothing better to do but complain & be negative) Instead of just busting the people that are raping the mountains with chain saws they coddle the perps & make it hateful for the regular users that just want to clear any debris on their property. I would have a 20" bar chain saw in a heartbeat if it was only as hard as obtaining a gun permit.It would come in super handy to clear some of the fallen coconut trees in the neighbors lot I am overseeing. Coconut does not burn well so you need to cut it into bite size chunks & pray to get it to burn.

I see ATV's cruising on the streets in Pattaya & wonder why in a metropolis city someone would take their life in their own hands & put in in serious jeopardy cruising on Pattaya Klang.

In Places like CM that are cool to cruise on an ATV it should be legal. Golf carts are permitted in the more rural areas & for the most part don't really bother anyone,

But being Thailand you have to protect your ass anywhere & everywhere whatever you drive or ride or even walking. In Bang Saray I would own an ATV if they made it legal as like golf carts you can get away with using one. You just really got to be on it if a 16 wheeler is cruising down the road.

Edited by Beardog

Sorry for the appearance of negativity. I guess I just feared having my now legal ATV (legal off road and on the farm) become illegal, like the chainsaws.

This is the easiest place to live for me, too. I am way more positive about Thailand than negative. The fact is, as a foreigner living here, I have few or no rights, but I have way, way more freedom that I ever experienced in the US. I have been married for over six years to a woman that exceeds all my dreams. I have a gas chainsaw with a 20" bar and no license. I don't poach timber, but use in on my own land and nobody ever bothers me. Ditto for an ATV. I am building house and doing a lot of the work myself, which is technically illegal without a work permit (even on my own house), but nobody ever bothers me. I have great workers and everybody is happy. I can do things the way I want with no permits and no inspectors breathing down my neck. I don't have to pay insane property taxes. I love it here.

So maybe laws are restrictive sometimes, but in practice, this is a very live and let live place. If you do not make a problem, you usually do not have one. I do not know if that is true for the cities; I live in a village.

By the way, I manly imported that ATV so my 80 year old father-in-law could do some of the things around the farm that he could not do any more with his age. I also use it for moving gravel, dirt and cow shit (have blade and bucket), spraying weeds (have a 100 liter sprayer) and dragging logs and debris -- especially those chunks of coconut trees I cut up with my illegal chainsaw (they are very heavy). It is also awesome for cutting large diameter bamboo (father-in-law uses it to make fish traps). It gets all tangled up, so is almost impossible to pull out of the clump when you cut the base. I just put a webbed tow strap around it, connect the other end to the trailer hitch of the ATV put it in 4 wheel, lock the axles, gun the engine and yank it out. That King Quad has some serious muscle.

Edited by Ticketmaster

Over and out for me.

Thought you were gone.

• Like 2