Facing deportation, Sehgal ends political role

Lite Beer

Every time I read about this man the story seems to change albeit slightly so the bottom line is does anyone know if he actually is a Thai citizen ?

Meanwhile over at DSI Tarit must be in seventh heaven with a press conference to announce backers of the protests will be named but probably not shamed.

Great situation, it's ok to give financial support to PTP and the reds but support anti-government movements and feel the wrath of Tarit answering the call from his master.

Yes providing financial support to antidemocratic movements using terroristic means to overthrow a duly elected government is generally illegal in most (all?) countries.
Evidence that he funded terrorists please.

Exercising your right to protest is not a crime in a democratic country.

I don't support pdrc or the continuation of the protests after the election was called but to protest should not be a crime.

Anyone found guilty of violence from either side should be gaoled. Murder should not go unpunished.

I know it's complicated but try to follow these myriad news reports as best you can...my post was in response to the portion of the article stating that the DSI would be naming and investigating the financial supporters of the PRDC. I thought that was pretty clear...nothing to do with the Indian citizen.
No not clear at all.

Also these alleged backers of the protest are also not backing terrorists. There were violent people on both sides and the aims of the movement were misguided at times. But not terrorism.

Stupid and counter productive at times yes.

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every time I read about this man the story seems to change albeit slightly so the bottom line is does anyone know if he actually is a Thai citizen ?

Meanwhile over at DSI Tarit must be in seventh heaven with a press conference to announce backers of the protests will be named but probably not shamed.

Great situation, it's ok to give financial support to PTP and the reds but support anti-government movements and feel the wrath of Tarit answering the call from his master.

Yes providing financial support to antidemocratic movements using terroristic means to overthrow a duly elected government is generally illegal in most (all?) countries.

But it's ok to support people who tried to burn Bkk to the ground and to a party who regard the law as what ever they deem it to be.

Both sides have a lot to answer for but I presume you can only see one side.

You forgot the part about it being a non-elected government (I.e., illigitamate) that was installed by a military junta that overthrew an elected government. So not really the same things IMO.

Everyone in the last Dem led govt was elected. Not appointed by anyone.

I wonder if he's heard that his probably enormous donations to Suthep have gone into buying a most erudite and sumptuous retreat.

Sure. The PT guy shouted his unproven, politically motivated allegations loud enough.

Not saying they're untrue mind, Wait for some evidence and a court case before i can decide on that (not that it matters to PT what i think) I seriously doubt they are more than PT mind games though.

Evidence that he funded terrorists please.

Exercising your right to protest is not a crime in a democratic country.

I don't support pdrc or the continuation of the protests after the election was called but to protest should not be a crime.

Anyone found guilty of violence from either side should be gaoled. Murder should not go unpunished.

Then Thailand is not a democratic country because congregations of more than 2 people in public is illegal.

Thailand is democratic, flawed leadership at times, but nonetheless democratic. Though there are those who wish it were not so, again I refer to some of the leadership here.

Perhaps these people can claim that they did not support the PDRC. That in fact all they did was to donate money to help feed all the people on the streets be they protesters or passerbyers. This surely can not be a crime. Even if the money was given directly to Suthep anyone can claim that his organization concerning the feeding of the people was their reasoning to donate money. Hmmm!

I do not think the CMPO would have a hard argument to this.

Did they give the money to help the PDRC and the protest or did they give the money to help feed the hungry people on the streets?

I dont think it would be criminal since the PDRC did not give free food to ONLY protesters. Anybody could get free food. Even foreigners there were partaking.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

This India went on stage to address, not just give money.

Similar (and worst) to the Red-Shirt farang, who Suthep's regime put in jail & deported.

BTW

Satish Sehgal said yesterday that he would end his political activities.

And you still say he is NOT political active? Why end if he was not?

Edited by Suriya4
  • Like 1

When due process of law is suspended, and absolute power is invested in people like Chalerm to do whatever they want, there is very little others can do. The 136 people who contributed financially to the PDRC has - in just two days - been whittled down - without explanation - to 58. And anti - "laundering " investigations are no longer being pursued as the emergency decree allows a lawless route.

If You really don't know you shouldn't be posting.

He has acted as an advisor to 6 Thai Governments and led many Thai trade and Government delegations to India among other things.

And now he can host the events when the Thai trade delegations come to India.

Question: If a tourist were to purchase any of those Thai flag or King t-shirts or those cute tiny nondescript whistles from a vendor along one of the protest sites, would he be contributing to the protest and therefore be a target for deportation?

• Like 1

I wonder if he's heard that his probably enormous donations to Suthep have gone into buying a most erudite and sumptuous retreat.

Sure. The PT guy shouted his unproven, politically motivated allegations loud enough.

Not saying they're untrue mind, Wait for some evidence and a court case before i can decide on that (not that it matters to PT what i think) I seriously doubt they are more than PT mind games though.

Normally I would also wait for concrete proof before criticising somebody, but in Suthep's case I am making a very special exception. His incendiary rants and his undemocratic actions make me feel that he's practically knocking on my door begging me to take the **** out of him, with bells and indeed whistles on.

tongue.png

It is Thailand's moment of greatness, so therefore it is a Thai thing, a flowering democracy must be able to show the world how mature they are , so far they have shown they are not very mature at all. Never interfere in all matters Thai, the only thing at the end of the day that Thai's want from the Farang is your money, in all else, Thai's know better. bah.gif

• Like 1

Chalerm now knows he has made a huge cock up with this one but still he keeps digging the hole deeper with his mouth.

If he had half a brain he would come out with something like :

We have reviewed this case and in light of the service Khun Sehgal has rendered to Thailand in the past we have decided to rescind the deportation order, however should he ever carry out any other activity against the SOE we will be forced to reconsider.

This would make Chalerm look less stupid but then again.........................................

Really? Would you please share with me what service this man has undertaken on behalf of Thailand. Usually, when one refers to service it includes charitable or social service activity. Did the man create an educational foundation? How about participation in the construction or refurbishment of a hospital? You know, something like that. Promoting his travel agency and Indian weddings in Thailand business hardly qualifies as "service to his country". I wonder if he even performed his military service? I could understand if he had volunteered for service.

Initially, the man denied having any political activity in respect to the illegal seizure of buildings and blockades. Then as pictures came out, the story changed. He was quite pleased to describe himself as one of the organizers of the PDRC activities when he was interviewed as part of a lengthy article in the foreign print media. He provided his reasons for participating, one nugget which included his view that westerners did not understand democracy and how it works/should work in Thailand.

• Like 2

Question: If a tourist were to purchase any of those Thai flag or King t-shirts or those cute tiny nondescript whistles from a vendor along one of the protest sites, would he be contributing to the protest and therefore be a target for deportation?

Your case is OK.

No Farang deported by Suthep in 2010 for going to protest site.

But if you go on stage to make speeches .. . . it is not the same, just like the idiot Aussie/Irish guy.

No.

However, if a foreigner takes the whistle, and walks into the middle of traffic blowing it while attempting to stop traffic and attacking vehicles and pedestrians attempting to pass his unauthorized "blockade" or if he incited others to attack or intimidate people, he most likely would be guilty of criminal and nuisance behaviour. Under the Immigration Act, such conduct allows for deportation.

• Like 1

Yep, just like the named blacklisted red shirt backers felt the wrath of Tarit answering the call from his master in 2010. Satish is being deported, according to exactly the same rules as Connor Purcell was subject to in 2010. If you support the rule of law being applied equally then I guess you have to accept this Satish business. However, I disagree with it. Like I said before, it's petty and won't achieve anything. And despite the fact I disagree with his political views, it's a real shame that he faces having to leave the country he's lived in for 50 years leaving behind his elderly mother. He's only a minor leader too, not like he's crucial to the movement or anything.

However, all Connor Purcell did in 2010 was speak on a stage twice. He didn't fund a movement (in fact at the time he was relying on handouts from red shirts and friends IIRC) nor did he lead any protesters anywhere. That's a lot less involvement than Satish has had, yet was enough to get him 3 months of jail and a deportation.

It's not unexpected that many red shirts now are supporting what they opposed in 2010 (deportations, the emergency decree, blacklisting of funders, crackdown) and those who were very much for those things in 2010 are dead against them now. How typically human. We are partial by nature, I guess... it's very difficult not to apply different standards based on our political views, yet I admire those who've taken a consistent line based on abstract principle regardless of who specifically is being subjected to these measures.

The problem with Thai politics, in fact so many things here, is the absolute belief in being right and no give or take.

I cannot change or influence things since I cannot vote but I do keep an eye on politics etc. because of the potential to affect my own life and if it wasn't so serious I would find politics here hysterical.

That is really how one had to view it...a live Comedy Central channel.

Exactly. It's Spitting Image without the puppets......... well, except for one or two. smile.png

As I am forever in pursuit of trying to better myself could you please explain to me how a piece of land can be 'erudite' and indeed how it can be 'sumptuous', because I simply don't know. I look forward to your input. ;)

Normally I would also wait for concrete proof before criticising somebody, but in Suthep's case I am making a very special exception. His incendiary rants and his undemocratic actions make me feel that he's practically knocking on my door begging me to take the **** out of him, with bells and indeed whistles on.

tongue.png

Fair enough, don't like the guy myself. I'd find the allegations credible to be honest, if it wasn't for the person making them. Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1

As I am forever in pursuit of trying to better myself could you please explain to me how a piece of land can be 'erudite' and indeed how it can be 'sumptuous', because I simply don't know. I look forward to your input. wink.png

I was assuming that he was going to build a home on the land, as opposed to just sleeping in the mud with the vermin. A home can indeed be erudite and sumptuous, especially when I'm on a roll and ridiculing somebody for comedic effect.

But it's ok to support people who tried to burn Bkk to the ground and to a party who regard the law as what ever they deem it to be.

You forgot the part about it being a non-elected government (I.e., illigitamate) that was installed by a military junta that overthrew an elected government. So not really the same things IMO.

So arson is acceptable is it?

So arson is acceptable is it?

Yes, when any body politic has had their democracy snatched away by a military junta, who then install an unelected civilian puppet government, then yes, violence, can be justified to return to the status quo ante. Unfortunately, not all revolutions can be as smooth as velvet...I seem to recall some violence, probably including arson too, that established democracy in my country around 1776.

Silom people rally in support of Satis Sehgal

1618612_708047829216347_23883743_n-wpcf_

BANGKOK: -- A group of Silom businessmen and residents showed up briefly in front of the Indian Embassy this morning (Sunday) to give moral support to president of Indian-Thai Business men Association Satis Sehgal who is facing deportation from the Centre for Maintaining Peace and Order (CMPO).

The rally group which was led by Mrs Sriwala Issara, chairwoman of the Charn Issara Corportation, also submitted a letter addressed to the Indian ambassador asking for fair treatment for Mr Sehgal.

Mr Sehgal, an Indian businessman who had lived in Thailand since his childhood earlier sought asylum at the Indian embassy using his status as the trade representative.

CMPO director Chalerm Yubamrung has declared Mr Sehgal persona non grata and ordered him deported for violating the Emergency Decree for his involvement with the protest movement.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/silom-people-rally-support-satis-sehgal/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=silom-people-rally-support-satis-sehgal

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-02-09

Can any yellow supporter offer concrete documentation that he did not participate in any actions that were not considered peaceful?

As under the Emergency Decree that the court found no legal bases to suspend . States:

That under the currently-imposed emergency decree, the care taker Prime minister or her representative could order a foreigner's deportation under reasonable circumstances if he/she plays a part of instigating emergency situation. (accent mine)

It reads if they had reasonable evidence, he could be deported, under the Emergency Decree, the government publicity gave ample warning by stating anyone violating the decree left themselves open to arrest. He is also allowed to appeal his deportation,

The Thai constitution also offers all the residents of Thailand the right to express political views as long as they are peaceful!

So all the government needs, is to have a reasonable certainty that he in fact, gave speeches that encouraged others to break the law, led protesters on office take overs and/or was a co-leader of PDRC!

As it is now common knowledge that the police had undercover assignment to secure evidence among the protesters, it seems they would have video, recording of speeches given and evidence of that nature.

It is only reasonable that since the PDRC public stance was it would not compromise on its goals, the government should also not compromise on allowing leniency of the laws the protester violated!

I only hope he is deported from Thailand while he contest his deportation order, He does not deserve the protection of the Democracy, that he tried to overthrow!

Cheers

• Like 1

Silom people rally in support of Satis Sehgal

1618612_708047829216347_23883743_n-wpcf_

BANGKOK: -- A group of Silom businessmen and residents showed up briefly in front of the Indian Embassy this morning (Sunday) to give moral support to president of Indian-Thai Business men Association Satis Sehgal who is facing deportation from the Centre for Maintaining Peace and Order (CMPO).

The rally group which was led by Mrs Sriwala Issara, chairwoman of the Charn Issara Corportation, also submitted a letter addressed to the Indian ambassador asking for fair treatment for Mr Sehgal.

Mr Sehgal, an Indian businessman who had lived in Thailand since his childhood earlier sought asylum at the Indian embassy using his status as the trade representative.

CMPO director Chalerm Yubamrung has declared Mr Sehgal persona non grata and ordered him deported for violating the Emergency Decree for his involvement with the protest movement.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/silom-people-rally-support-satis-sehgal/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=silom-people-rally-support-satis-sehgal

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2014-02-09

I think they are lobbying the wrong people.

Sriwalla Isaara?

Is she Indian?