Thailand infrastucture

RandomSand

Unless there's come serious bandwidth added soon between the US/EU - SE Asia, Thailand risks being stuck at the broadband level, which was standard 10 years ago in developed nations - whilst the rest of the world moves onto wire-speed communications.

I was just downloading a move using bit torrent, and I noticed that the fastest peer was seeding to me at 9meg/sec. Romania!.. Interesting. Lets have a look at that ISP, I thought...

In Romania they get 1000 Mbp/sec download / 30 Mbp/sec Upload for 59.00- Lei a month (US$18.00 or THB600).

It's slightly ironic that Thai ISPs want more money than that for selling a connection that can't even download fast enough from Romanian upload !

http://www.rcs-rds.ro/internet-digi-net/fiberlink?t=internet-fix&pachet=digi_net_fiberlink_1000

• Like 1

Stop complaining. If I listen to my American friends, my 16Mbit connection beats most ISP's in the States. South Korea comes in #1 on Forbes' list, but it's average speed is 14Mbit, slower than my Thai connection. And Docsys goes upto 100Mbit. But you need to have the money to pay for it.

Your suggestion that Thailand gets stuck where developed countries were 10 years ago is nonsense.

Edited by sniffdog
  • Like 1

I have 54 mbps (supposedly) but actual transmission is usually between .01 and .04% of that, which works out to somewhere around a 56 k modem, and even that dribble is often not enough to send a line of text on skype.

Has it ever occurred to you that unless you're at the very end of a 12km long party line, there's something definitely, certainly, absolutely, hopelessly wrong with your connection (assuming your "I have 54Mbps" is correct) and that perhaps you should get it attended to?

• Like 1

I don't understand why so many complain about the internet speed in Thailand. I'm very happy with the consistent 10-13 Mbps I get from True in my BKK apartment and from 3BB in my Bang Saray villa. My service here is as good as the service I have in Oregon, USA.

Edited by HerbalEd

The CAT service I get here is 5 times faster and a third of the price that I used to get in the UK. Plus it was installed within 4 hours of moving into the apartment. Fingers crossed I can get a similar service when I move into a new build apartment in 6 months.

My true 3G gives me 8-10mb using the 21mb card, but only to Bangkok - every time I source something outside of Thailand it is limited to 120-180k and has been like that for a month or more. Limited by app I think because every download starts ok but with in a minute slows - not just p2p which drops to 5k when I try to load an ISO, but everything streaming etc and proxy won't help they seem to not want international bandwidth used at all so I have decided to no longer use them (true) - dtac does not have this problem as I have used both for several months and I will now use only dtac cards. Problem solved. My cousins true cable also does not have this issue so it seems more like true sim is for Thai's only or something.

Thailand risks being stuck at the broadband level, which was standard 10 years ago in developed nations - whilst the rest of the world moves onto wire-speed communications.

Thailand is very, very worried about this risk. ;)

It seems to lag behind developed nations in a few other areas, too.

Oh, well.