Fresh election will not happen in March

Lite Beer

Fresh election will not happen in March

1-29-2014-10-21-26-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Fresh election for the 28 constituencies where election could not take place on February 2 will not be staged in March as it will too close to the Senate election scheduled on March 30, Election Commissioner Somchai Srisutthiyakorn said today (Sunday).

However, he insisted that the Election Commission had no authority to set the election date which should be the government’s responsibility.

The EC earlier proposed the government to enact a new Royal Decree to stage fresh election in the 28 constituencies, mostly in southern provinces, were election on February 2 was rendered impossible due to disruption from protesters.

Somchai admitted that he could not say whether staging fresh election would be a violation of the Constitution or not.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/fresh-election-will-happen-march/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=fresh-election-will-happen-march

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-02-09

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"However, he insisted that the Election Commission had no authority to set the election date which should be the governments responsibility."

"It can't happen,... but oopsie, now we're freaking scared now (*-runaway-wasn't-me-*),...

why an indirect elected Senate should interfere to the direct election of 28 constituencies ?

If we were not living a real drama for this country, all this would sound like TV comedy or soap opera, a big Carnival joke.

The EC chief doesn't know if setting an election date is a violation of the Constitution or not. Poor Thailand :-(

Well, what can we say ?

Banana Republic is an insult towards the Latin American Banana republics, this is far worse than a banana....

<deleted>: Somchai admitted that he could not say whether staging fresh election would be a violation of the Constitution or not, and he is expecting the PT to know?

Whose job is it?

Edited by Suriya4
  • Like 2

At least PTP will recognize the tactic for what it is. Stall and counter-stall is what this government is best at after all.

So you do agree that this is a "tactic"? Congratulations on being the first anti PT poster to admit the obvious. thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif

Gee Thanks!

Time is sometimes what is needed, and can be as efficient a weapon as any. The YL government will more than likely implode given enough time.

EC has a duty under the constitution to finish the election within 180 days. So the EC coup strategy has a time limit. Given Somchai's public statements, he's likely opened them up for individual prosecution:

EC member Somchai Srisutthiyakorn said:

'The elections will not take place unless both parties and other stakeholders hold talks and reach an agreement. The EC is ready to act as a go-between.'

'After the registration of constituency candidates ends on Jan 1, the EC will hold a meeting on Jan 2 and make a decision,'

'Some people may say we are crossing the line. In some cases we might overstep our authority. But if that can resolve the situation, we have to do it,'

'And if the public thinks that we have crossed the line, we will take responsibility.'

As long as they stuck within the law, they were protected, but once they step outside it, they become individuals open to prosecutions and lawsuits.

Edited by BlueNoseCodger
  • Like 1

As the administration refuses to talk to the EC - already in violation of a recent directive of the Constitutional Court - and refuses to take any of their advice, we are fast approaching a situation where no goal posts are set, and no consensus is reached. It's a cul-de-sac - constitutional paralysis.

• Like 1

What is the significance of the April 1st date re elections etc.

i believe 1st april is the end for caretaker yingluck unless i read it wrong...unless so,eone can enlighten us more wai2.gif

it couldnt be a more laughable day since YL = big joke cheesy.gif

Assuming stating 'fresh' means the first was 'gone-off'?

Royal Decree? ,,,,, hum... not permitted to make comment about Royalty,.... but all's very quiet at the palace.

I wonder if NACC is permitted to investigate corruption regarding visitational obtenence, for approval from Princy?

At least PTP will recognize the tactic for what it is. Stall and counter-stall is what this government is best at after all.

Yup, the currebt government stall like crazy!! Suthep; "we want new elections" Oksy let's have elections .. Suthep, "No, we don't recognise that" Suthep "we want YL to step down.. YL steps down.. Suthep- "we don't recognise that". So tell me again, who is stalling/counter stalling?

• Like 1

Yup, the currebt government stall like crazy!! Suthep; "we want new elections" Oksy let's have elections .. Suthep, "No, we don't recognise that" Suthep "we want YL to step down.. YL steps down.. Suthep- "we don't recognise that". So tell me again, who is stalling/counter stalling?

Wow.. When did YL step down .. she is STILL caretaker PM!!!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

When did Yingluck offered to step down, cause I must have missed that ? Maybe it was in red land only >

This notion of a new royal decree is a sneaky way of trying to invalidate the Feb. 3rd. election, according to what I hear from pro-electoral democratic activists, commonly referenced by their affinity clothing colors, the Red Shirts.

This latter point emphasized to counter PAD-Dem strategy of seeking to deprive them of a political context....Calling the pro-Democracy Movement by their affinity clothing colors tries to avoid the awareness that Democracy is under assault.......A little bit like demonizing the Govt., hoping people don't link it to the millions of voters who put them there.

Notion of a Royal Decree "sneaky"? Do explain. The keyboard is only mightier than the sword if there is a brain behind it.

3rd Feb elections? Where were these? Guffaw.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Caretaker PM until after the dems win the elections, there has to be somebody at the helm, or did you think the country could have embassies etc in other countries without some kind of PM? Oh wait.... Dems don't think they can win the elections can they? Why's that? because they're more bent than Thaksin I guess?

Caretaker PM until after the dems win the elections, there has to be somebody at the helm, or did you think the country could have embassies etc in other countries without some kind of PM? Oh wait.... Dems don't think they can win the elections can they? Why's that? because they're more bent than Thaksin I guess?

So what gonna happen when she loses the caretaker status on 1 April, by constitution. Thailand gonna stop to exist ?