The "To Jomtien" baht bus queue in South Pattaya a cauldron of violence

Jingthing

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why didnt you take a picture of the fight, maybe I would recognize some of the drivers and who to avoid in the future .

What happened with the Russian man , he should have reported the incident to the police.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by balo

I used to do that and too many times they turn off and go deep into hill during the route. They aren't under obligation to go all the way to Jomtien just because they picked you up. They might be going somewhere else. I'd rather brave the queue and know 100 percent where they are going.

• Like 1

The police will do nothing.

These sort of lawless thais are violent yobs. If the russian had won he would probably have been shot----remember the bkk bar shooting with 3 thais and one now dead farang

The thais in these incidents have no fear of the poluce-----remembet the motorbike taxi gang beating re an atn machine on 2 nd rd. None of them woll have been charged. They the taxi yobs pay the police for their work plot dont forget

A farang can never win unless he has a lot of money and buys revenge

Sent from my GT-S5310B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You're probably right. They probably would have arrested the foreigner not caring about blame. But my impulse was more about getting the fight stopped as I thought they might be murdering him.

I used to do that and too many times they turn off and go deep into hill during the route. They aren't under obligation to go all the way to Jomtien just because they picked you up. They might be going somewhere else. I'd rather brave the queue and know 100 percent where they are going.

I always question "Jomtien?", never had one turn off in four years, but if you prefer sitting there in the heat, surrounded by BO until they fill the bus, up to you.

You take these daily? Because I am very skeptical. Also TALKING to drivers is asking for trouble. Sometimes drivers take that as a CHARTER conversion, just talking to them,

In any case, LOTS of people do use the queue, including me, and just because you don't use it, doesn't mean the situation that exists there isn't worth discussing.

Edited by Jingthing

If you walk on towards Thappraya under the overpass, it's common to see baht busses that come down the hill towards Pattaya without gettin a fair do a U-turn either under the bridge or at the first U-turn area 80 yards up the hill.

Worth that 5 minute walk to avoid the mayhem, or the OP could spring for a Mosai taxi for all of say 50-80 baht at the most.

• Like 2

I'm not interested in alternatives to the queue. Maybe others are. I do not believe these other alternatives are as problem free as being sold here.

My personal experience is the queue is worth the hassle for the CERTAINTY of destination and fare, and also convenience of where it is usually works for me perfectly.

I do wish the baht bus company could set up a civilized system of crowd control there (and clamp down on the violence) but I know my wish is in vain.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Hardly having a conversation by asking "Jomtien?", and never been asked for more than the requisite fare. I also never suggested that the situation isn't worth discussing, only that I avoid the queue and therefore the situation you described.

Fine. One question -- how many times a year do you take this ride as described? Because without a LARGE SAMPLE, your results are not very meaningful.

Hardly having a conversation by asking "Jomtien?", and never been asked for more than the requisite fare. I also never suggested that the situation isn't worth discussing, only that I avoid the queue and therefore the situation you described.

Fine. One question -- how many times a year do you take this ride as described? Because without a LARGE SAMPLE, your results are not very meaningful.

Can't put an exact number on it, maybe 50 or 60 times a year. All I can say is that it has worked for me EVERY time so far, so see no reason to change my MO.

• Like 2

JT. Why don't you learn a bit of Thai. I've been in queues or faced potential dramas as you have, but if you smile and say something to the driver such as "there's a lot of crazy Falangs out tonight, and most of them smell don't ya think?", they'll probably piss themselves and let you ride shotgun in the A/C cab.

Your apparent reluctance to engage Thais (particularly bus drivers) in conversation (in any language) as highlighted in many of your posts intrigues me. Do you assume that every engagement must by definition be one of conflict?

I'm not interested in this thread being about me or your snarky insinuations about me. The topic is the To Jomtien baht bus queue.

Where is the local Pattaya English language "press" on this issue ... the continuing atmosphere of violence and chaos at a VERY IMPORTANT transport hub for Pattaya TOURISM, the queue in question?

Do the tourism promoters imagine the situation there is GOOD PR for Pattaya tourism?

This ugly situation has been going on for years, and I don't recall even ONE story about it in the local press.

Are they afraid?

Don't see a press story changing the situation. How many "stories" have there been re the jet-ski operators? Has the situation changed? If you aren't prepared to try a different approach, as in the one I described, I guess you will just have to suck it up.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 2

Where is the local Pattaya English language "press" on this issue ... the continuing atmosphere of violence and chaos at a VERY IMPORTANT transport hub for Pattaya TOURISM, the queue in question?

Do the tourism promoters imagine the situation there is GOOD PR for Pattaya tourism?

This ugly situation has been going on for years, and I don't recall even ONE story about it in the local press.

Are they afraid?

Don't see a press story changing the situation. How many "stories" have there been re the jet-ski operators? Has the situation changed?

That's a fair point. But some official attention that there is a problem (and there is a problem) is at least a BEGINNING.

Are they afraid?

Don't see a press story changing the situation. How many "stories" have there been re the jet-ski operators? Has the situation changed?

That's a fair point. But some official attention that there is a problem (and there is a problem) is at least a BEGINNING.

OK, why don't you get the ball rolling by contacting Pattaya TV, Pattaya Times etc and perhaps we'll see a change in 10 years.

JT. Why don't you learn a bit of Thai. I've been in queues or faced potential dramas as you have, but if you smile and say something to the driver such as "there's a lot of crazy Falangs out tonight, and most of them smell don't ya think?", they'll probably piss themselves and let you ride shotgun in the A/C cab.

Your apparent reluctance to engage Thais (particularly bus drivers) in conversation (in any language) as highlighted in many of your posts intrigues me. Do you assume that every engagement must by definition be one of conflict?

I'm not interested in this thread being about me or your snarky insinuations about me. The topic is the To Jomtien baht bus queue.

Then as to your question "Where is the local Pattaya English language "press" on this issue", why don't you take some action to have the matter reported and approach the press yourself to see if you can't get some reporting done on the issue. Or is that too proactive.

JT, as the frequent restaurant goer (as well as Baht bus user that you are) you surely wouldn't return to a restaurant after a couple of bad meals, or poor service would you? So why do you keep going back to the same problem, which you know exists, you also know it won't change, no matter how many arguments you have, or how many times you post on TV?

There are other options as mentioned above.

You're wrong. It's NOT the same. There are thousands of restaurants. There is ONE To Jomtien baht bus queue. No other option offers the features the queue offers as I've already mentioned (with the accompanying unfortunate downsides).

• Like 1

We'll disagree then. You're playing a semantic game. There is only the one queue and I (and MANY OTHERS) strongly prefer the features of using a queue, even a very flawed one.

On the restaurant thing. Suppose there was only one Mexican restaurant in town and it sucked. So if you want Mexican food at a restaurant, you go there, or don't have Mexican food at a restaurant. You COULD theoretically cook it yourself or fly in a Mexican private chef, but you probably won't, and neither one of those things is really the SAME as going to a Mexican restaurant. You could also go for Indian and try to hypnotize yourself into believing it's Mexican ... you get the picture.

Also, please stop trying to make this about me.

The queue is real and thousands of people use it daily and will continue to use it.

So commenting on experiences there has value beyond the "complaining" meme.

Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing

JT, as the frequent restaurant goer (as well as Baht bus user that you are) you surely wouldn't return to a restaurant after a couple of bad meals, or poor service would you? So why do you keep going back to the same problem, which you know exists, you also know it won't change, no matter how many arguments you have, or how many times you post on TV?

There are other options as mentioned above.

You're wrong. It's NOT the same. There are thousands of restaurants. There is ONE To Jomtien baht bus queue. No other option offers the features the queue offers as I've already mentioned (with the accompanying unfortunate downsides).
No, YOU are wrong. There are other options as I stated! I didn't mention other queues. There's no point moaning over and over again about a situation that you can avoid and also do nothing about! Just work around it (avoid it) Mate.

Woody1, your suggestion is totally logical but makes the assumption that somebody repeatedly experiencing a negative and potentially dangerous situation has the nouse to either avoid it in the future, or do something proactively to improve it.

Sometimes the theory on environmental adaptation is proven to be slightly flawed.

• Like 2

a video of that beating would have gone viral and be all over facebook and the like.... when I get to Pattaya later this year i'm gonna scope it out with my camera!

I can believe still after all these years that area is a cauldron for aggro, it keeps the cretins that work there occupied I supposerolleyes.gif