Half children!: Encounters with Thais/schools

laolover88

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Thai friend rang and made an appointment for my teenage daughter to enroll in a Christian school in Chonburi. When we arrived after traveling from south Thailand it was clear she was European. There was confusion all round the general office and suddenly there were no more vacancies that term. Suspecting this to be a racist inspired refusal I said ok what about next term then? Confusion within the ranks. A phone call is made and within seconds a not so Christian Brother appears and puts forward the excuse they feel my daughter would struggle with oral and written Thai. When I countered saying that she was not just fluent in Thai but Chinese and English too the not so Christian Brother said he was busy and attempted to walk away. I of course had my say when it was clear she would not be enrolled but the bottom line is the racism that starts in the family home spreads to the schools and it is palpable all over Thailand.

Total crap.

Many Christian schools in Thailand are run on strict orthodox Christian principles, they expect their pupils to abide by these principles, some unkind people may describe these as bible bashers.

If for any reasons the school believes a prospective pupil would not fit into this category, then the school would recommend that, that particular school with those particular curriculum's may not be suitable for certain students for those reasons. The same applies whether it be a Jewish school, Buddhist or whatever.

Also any foreign child that wishes to enrol in a Thai school would be welcome providing the child could prove his/her proficiency in their Thai language skills and no way would these children be instantly rejected without first being offered to take a test and without an evaluation to see culture wise whether or not the child could fit in and would be happy and content at an all Thai school.

This is about compatibility and what`s best for the child`s interests, not about racism or prejudice.

In your post you have made some valid points but some incorrect assumptions. And describing my post as being crap was crass. This was an international school. If you want to talk racism in Thai schools I will talk racism. And I would humbly suggest that I have far greater terms of reference than yours but would never assume or state that you were talking 'Crap' And I am not a pugnacious know all but know nothing drunken uneducated street warrior but a logical adult who always looks for positives before becoming embroiled in somewhat negative subjects such as this. Anyone who can not see that Thailand is plagued by many varied inbred forms of racism is either very fortunate or very naive. I could post shocking photographs of a beating my 12 year old (European) daughter received in a school in NST that required numerous trips to the local hospital. The photos are quite shocking. In another less racist environment criminal charges would have been filed and the culprits severely punished for such a racist hate crime. But not in this school. Not even a caution issued. She was moved to this school because of racist taunting in her previous school in Isaan. Her crime? Being different. She has lived in Thailand since she was two years old and writes and speaks Thai fluently indeed better than most of her classmates. She is also fluent in English and on many occasion's has been chastised by illiterate Thai English teachers who 'Thailand me come from' I approached the head master in the NST school to discuss what had happened to my daughter and he refused to meet with me. His assistant who was actually very understanding of the situation apologised and brought me to the deputy head who looked me straight between the eyes and said; 'The foreigner think this is the Land of Smiles. But he is wrong.' In the same manner and tone as the police man in Phuket when I dared to attempt file a criminal report against a Thai said; " Foreigner you stupid if you think Thai police help you against Thai people. You must believe in Santa Claus!" The final act of the defiance by the school (boarding) when my daughter left was to distribute her personal belongings among the other students. In all of this I managed to remain calm as I was aware that my daughters new school would require documentation from this school. Alas I could have had my day because the school refused to forward her educational records and receipts of fee payments made. In order to rectify this situation my daughter is now doing two years of school simultaneously in two different schools. The reason I traveled to Chonburi was that I was simply looking for a Christian school for my daughter. Before traveling by air to Bangkok and by car to Chonburi I called the school administrator 3 times to make sure there was a vacancy and was assured that there was. However when I walked into the office I was met with Thai racism head on. This non Christian Brother who appeared could not look me in the eye. Could not give me a reason as to why my daughter could not be enrolled. He first said there were no vacancies and suggested that she enroll in the next term. When I called his bluff and attempted to enroll her for the next term he said better I come back again. He flatly refused to allow me put her name down for the next term. Racism of course is not confined to Thailand but when you speak and understand Thai a whole new world of understanding of the Kingdom unfolds. When I say understand Thai I refer to understanding the subtleties of the language and its true meanings. And yes I can understand that Thai's have had similarly bad experiences with foreigners but if you want the truth might I suggest you allow alcohol be your guide. Anger an inebriated Thai and all the subdued racism pours fourth in abundance. I would also suggest that a lot of what is happening in Bangkok at the moment has roots in inter Thai racism. You should never assume that your opinion is the only opinion. If others have experienced racism and they clearly have you have no right to label their comments as crap. I have met many many non racist Thai people and have many many Thai friends but I also know where their loyalties will lie if push came to shove. I have chosen herein not to shred your nonsensical comments as you have the right to your opinion I only ask that you accept that others have more a more balanced realistic view of living in Thailand than you. If you are happy with your experiences of living in Thailand I am happy for you but please don't expect or try to belittle mine or force your opinions on everybody else.

Wow. I'm just . . . speechless.

I'm really glad I never went through any of that. As a young boy, aged about 8 or 9 I would often go to play in the local small Thai city school in Makkasan after coming home from Bangkok Patana and all I ever encountered was curiosity and friendliness. The teachers and the other kids at the Thai school always made me feel welcome to use their modest facilities even though I didn't go to their school.

I wish your kids all of the best with their new school. If you send them to live in Bangkok they will have access to international schools where such bullying is rare if not non-existent . . . and there are international to suit many budgets these days.

thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

A Thai friend rang and made an appointment for my teenage daughter to enroll in a Christian school in Chonburi. When we arrived after traveling from south Thailand it was clear she was European. There was confusion all round the general office and suddenly there were no more vacancies that term. Suspecting this to be a racist inspired refusal I said ok what about next term then? Confusion within the ranks. A phone call is made and within seconds a not so Christian Brother appears and puts forward the excuse they feel my daughter would struggle with oral and written Thai. When I countered saying that she was not just fluent in Thai but Chinese and English too the not so Christian Brother said he was busy and attempted to walk away. I of course had my say when it was clear she would not be enrolled but the bottom line is the racism that starts in the family home spreads to the schools and it is palpable all over Thailand.

Total crap.

Many Christian schools in Thailand are run on strict orthodox Christian principles, they expect their pupils to abide by these principles, some unkind people may describe these as bible bashers.

If for any reasons the school believes a prospective pupil would not fit into this category, then the school would recommend that, that particular school with those particular curriculum's may not be suitable for certain students for those reasons. The same applies whether it be a Jewish school, Buddhist or whatever.

Also any foreign child that wishes to enrol in a Thai school would be welcome providing the child could prove his/her proficiency in their Thai language skills and no way would these children be instantly rejected without first being offered to take a test and without an evaluation to see culture wise whether or not the child could fit in and would be happy and content at an all Thai school.

This is about compatibility and what`s best for the child`s interests, not about racism or prejudice.

In your post you have made some valid points but some incorrect assumptions. And describing my post as being crap was crass. This was an international school. If you want to talk racism in Thai schools I will talk racism. And I would humbly suggest that I have far greater terms of reference than yours but would never assume or state that you were talking 'Crap' And I am not a pugnacious know all but know nothing drunken uneducated street warrior but a logical adult who always looks for positives before becoming embroiled in somewhat negative subjects such as this. Anyone who can not see that Thailand is plagued by many varied inbred forms of racism is either very fortunate or very naive. I could post shocking photographs of a beating my 12 year old (European) daughter received in a school in NST that required numerous trips to the local hospital. The photos are quite shocking. In another less racist environment criminal charges would have been filed and the culprits severely punished for such a racist hate crime. But not in this school. Not even a caution issued. She was moved to this school because of racist taunting in her previous school in Isaan. Her crime? Being different. She has lived in Thailand since she was two years old and writes and speaks Thai fluently indeed better than most of her classmates. She is also fluent in English and on many occasion's has been chastised by illiterate Thai English teachers who 'Thailand me come from' I approached the head master in the NST school to discuss what had happened to my daughter and he refused to meet with me. His assistant who was actually very understanding of the situation apologised and brought me to the deputy head who looked me straight between the eyes and said; 'The foreigner think this is the Land of Smiles. But he is wrong.' In the same manner and tone as the police man in Phuket when I dared to attempt file a criminal report against a Thai said; " Foreigner you stupid if you think Thai police help you against Thai people. You must believe in Santa Claus!" The final act of the defiance by the school (boarding) when my daughter left was to distribute her personal belongings among the other students. In all of this I managed to remain calm as I was aware that my daughters new school would require documentation from this school. Alas I could have had my day because the school refused to forward her educational records and receipts of fee payments made. In order to rectify this situation my daughter is now doing two years of school simultaneously in two different schools. The reason I traveled to Chonburi was that I was simply looking for a Christian school for my daughter. Before traveling by air to Bangkok and by car to Chonburi I called the school administrator 3 times to make sure there was a vacancy and was assured that there was. However when I walked into the office I was met with Thai racism head on. This non Christian Brother who appeared could not look me in the eye. Could not give me a reason as to why my daughter could not be enrolled. He first said there were no vacancies and suggested that she enroll in the next term. When I called his bluff and attempted to enroll her for the next term he said better I come back again. He flatly refused to allow me put her name down for the next term. Racism of course is not confined to Thailand but when you speak and understand Thai a whole new world of understanding of the Kingdom unfolds. When I say understand Thai I refer to understanding the subtleties of the language and its true meanings. And yes I can understand that Thai's have had similarly bad experiences with foreigners but if you want the truth might I suggest you allow alcohol be your guide. Anger an inebriated Thai and all the subdued racism pours fourth in abundance. I would also suggest that a lot of what is happening in Bangkok at the moment has roots in inter Thai racism. You should never assume that your opinion is the only opinion. If others have experienced racism and they clearly have you have no right to label their comments as crap. I have met many many non racist Thai people and have many many Thai friends but I also know where their loyalties will lie if push came to shove. I have chosen herein not to shred your nonsensical comments as you have the right to your opinion I only ask that you accept that others have more a more balanced realistic view of living in Thailand than you. If you are happy with your experiences of living in Thailand I am happy for you but please don't expect or try to belittle mine or force your opinions on everybody else.

Wow. I'm just . . . speechless.

I'm really glad I never went through any of that. As a young boy, aged about 8 or 9 I would often go to play in the local small Thai city school in Makkasan after coming home from Bangkok Patana and all I ever encountered was curiosity and friendliness. The teachers and the other kids at the Thai school always made me feel welcome to use their modest facilities even though I didn't go to their school.

I wish your kids all of the best with their new school. If you send them to live in Bangkok they will have access to international schools where such bullying is rare if not non-existent . . . and there are international to suit many budgets these days.

thumbsup.gif

I totally agree with your comments and thank you for your best wishes. My son is in school in Bangkok now and hasn't encountered any racism indeed quite the opposite. My daughter is in an international school just outside Bangkok and she too is happy and contented. And I must say that I too find in general Bangkokians in the main to be genuinely inquisitive, courteous and friendly. As an aside my daughter one night introduced me to the hundreds of Thai School Bullying videos on You Tube. I was shocked. There was one in which an innocent young boy in Isaan was knifed to death. The female cat fights are shocking in their brutality and the manner in which the combatants are egged on by the other students.

• Like 1

Perhaps you have attitude problems or your kids have attitude problems or maybe even an inferiority or persecution complex, have you thought of that? Otherwise I would describe this as just another Thai bashing thread.

Yeah, blame the victim as we all know that in your eyes, Thais can do no wrong and are above criticism. It has to be bashing, doesn't it?

Your posts are notorious for whitewashing and excusing bad Thai behavior.

Just because the events in the quoted post haven't happened to you doesn't mean they don't happen to others. Or did to that poster's children.

And I'd recommend your keep quiet about the fact that your son is a Thai policeman as we all know what the Thai Police are like.

He's not excusing bad Thai behavior, nor am I. But unlike you, he's able to detect the truth from pure BS, which is what a lot of TV members post on these threads. It's absolutely necessary for guys like Beetlejuice to post his personal experiences, otherwise the poor newbie would have a completely distorted and inaccurate view of Thailand. Because honestly, most of the criticisms of Thailand that I read on TV are either pure BS or massive exaggerations, simply posted to bait the haters and racist scumbags. And as usual, the OP and this thread have achieved just that.

I am not sure that you are right about that but a lot of posters do post nonsense. I think there are many problems for foreigners here and it is entirely correct that there should be a forum where they can be exposed. I am sure some people sidestep them just as much as some are targeted and others invite them

To dismiss the experiences of what maybe the majority as BS just because you have avoided it does not make it any the less upsetting or got some traumatic. The fact that some overreact is as pathetic as others tarring every problem as nothing. There is a middle ground.

I have kids here going through the system. Their problems are few so far thankfully but I can nevertheless fully understand the OP. I have just been fortunate to mitigate that problem though not some other far reaching and terrible racist issues with the justice system.

Perhaps you have attitude problems or your kids have attitude problems or maybe even an inferiority or persecution complex, have you thought of that? Otherwise I would describe this as just another Thai bashing thread.

Yeah, blame the victim as we all know that in your eyes, Thais can do no wrong and are above criticism. It has to be bashing, doesn't it?

Just because the events in the quoted post haven't happened to you doesn't mean they don't happen to others. Or did to that poster's children.

And I'd recommend your keep quiet about the fact that your son is a Thai policeman as we all know what the Thai Police are like.

He's not excusing bad Thai behavior, nor am I. But unlike you, he's able to detect the truth from pure BS, which is what a lot of TV members post on these threads. It's absolutely necessary for guys like Beetlejuice to post his personal experiences, otherwise the poor newbie would have a completely distorted and inaccurate view of Thailand. Because honestly, most of the criticisms of Thailand that I read on TV are either pure BS or massive exaggerations, simply posted to bait the haters and racist scumbags. And as usual, the OP and this thread have achieved just that.

I am not sure that you are right about that but a lot of posters do post nonsense. I think there are many problems for foreigners here and it is entirely correct that there should be a forum where they can be exposed. I am sure some people sidestep them just as much as some are targeted and others invite them

To dismiss the experiences of what maybe the majority as BS just because you have avoided it does not make it any the less upsetting or got some traumatic. The fact that some overreact is as pathetic as others tarring every problem as nothing. There is a middle ground.

I have kids here going through the system. Their problems are few so far thankfully but I can nevertheless fully understand the OP. I have just been fortunate to mitigate that problem though not some other far reaching and terrible racist issues with the justice system.

Totally agree.

I am in court currently, people have no idea. I have lived here longer than beetle juice and for many years it was like living on the surface, but I then I had to deal with the unsatisfactory education of my child at the local school ( had to move to an international school area) establish and running a business, working with large corporations,buying of real estate etc..anywhere where you have to stand your ground ...prejudice in the extreme..nothing to do with being a victim..everything to do with standing up for your rights and a sense of equity and justice.

Sometimes I have to wonder about this utopia that is expressed here and the Thai white washing, it's almost anti- farang more than pro Thai..it seems more a prejudice against farangs.

There is some bullshit on here but also a lot of people's experiences..Thailand is my home..but it's like most other places , good and bad.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Totally agree.

I am in court currently, people have no idea. I have lived here longer than beetle juice and for many years it was like living on the surface, but I then I had to deal with the unsatisfactory education of my child at the local school ( had to move to an international school area) establish and running a business, working with large corporations,buying of real estate etc..anywhere where you have to stand your ground ...prejudice in the extreme..nothing to do with being a victim..everything to do with standing up for your rights and a sense of equity and justice.

Sometimes I have to wonder about this utopia that is expressed here and the Thai white washing, it's almost anti- farang more than pro Thai..it seems more a prejudice against farangs.

There is some bullshit on here but also a lot of people's experiences..Thailand is my home..but it's like most other places , good and bad.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If you are in court then beware the treachery of Thai lawyers. They work together against you, almost all of them, as a team. Deceitful, educated and connected - it is a hard nut to crack especially when your own lawyer will not go against them as it is 'not good manners'. Added to which the judges often fraternize with the lawyers in the area so also do not appreciate exposure of any misdemeanors by lawyers or come to that government officials either. If involved in bribery then you are on a hiding to nothing trying to expose it which may run to the root of your cases. No thought to what is 'good manners' for the Client note.

Foreigners are blind to what is going on which is rather sad as they may become victims through no fault of their own. This can easily extend into personal lives like the OP complains of because it is the mindset of many Thais.

There is no professional etiquette save between themselves not to do anything that would get each other into trouble. The Lawyers Council will not assist you even when they plainly step outside the law, indeed the representative in Phuket was heard by a friend of mine to say 'No foreigner will get any help against a Thai by any Thai lawyer in Phuket'. That is also the experience I have had in the Phuket justice system too. It is shocking for me coming from a semi legal background in the UK - the systems are worlds apart and so are the players in the systems. Thailand is positively Mediaeval in comparison

If there is this racism like this in the law I think it shows the mindset the OP complains of. Racism is alive and thriving in Thailand, that is absolutely for sure.

• Like 2

A fascinating map of the world’s most and least racially tolerant countries

The English speaking and Latin American countries, together with Norway and Sweden are the most tolerant of racial difference, according to this survey published in May 2013.

India and Jordan stand out as the least tolerant, followed by a raft of countries including Saudi Arabia, Iran, Egypt, Indonesia, Vietnam and South Korea.

Thailand is in the next category, in which 20 - 29.9 percent of respondents say they would not want people of another race as neighbours.

For the most tolerant countries the figure is 0 - 4.9%.

Note, however, that a significant number of countries in Africa, Central Asia and Southeast Asia were not surveyed.

The map can be found at
A fascinating map of the worlds most and least racially tolerant countries

Fascinating yes, but also very misleading. For example, there is legislation in place in countries such as the UK and the USA which provides penalties for racial discrimination, responses to the survey in those countries is almost certainly tainted by a desire to give a politically and legally correct answer!

From experience, the UK is one of the more racist countries I have lived in and I am a Brit., I'm sure that nearly everyone in the Cotswold's answered the survey positively although they all assumed that it meant foreign people going to live in Manchester or Birmingham and not next door to their country retreat.

• Like 2

Fascinating yes, but also very misleading. For example, there is legislation in place in countries such as the UK and the USA which provides penalties for racial discrimination, responses to the survey in those countries is almost certainly tainted by a desire to give a politically and legally correct answer!

From experience, the UK is one of the more racist countries I have lived in and I am a Brit., I'm sure that nearly everyone in the Cotswold's answered the survey positively although they all assumed that it meant foreign people going to live in Manchester or Birmingham and not next door to their country retreat.

Good point. The Bradley Effect could be at work in countries like the UK, US, Australia, etc. We just don't know. These are the data for what they're worth. Probably worth about as much as any survey that depends on subjective responses.

The Bradley effect theory posits that the inaccurate polls were skewed by the phenomenon of social desirability bias. Specifically, some white voters give inaccurate polling responses for fear that, by stating their true preference, they will open themselves to criticism of racial motivation. Members of the public may feel under pressure to provide an answer that is deemed to be more publicly acceptable, or 'politically correct'. The reluctance to give accurate polling answers has sometimes extended to post-election exit polls as well. The race of the pollster conducting the interview may factor into voters' answers.

Bradley effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• Like 1

You could understand kids, but it's really sad to hear it coming from the top. I've got a friend who's half western kid was recently banned from entering English competitions at school. No problems with the half Chinese kids entering the Mandarin competitions, or even competing against 100% Thais in the Thai competition, until she won of course.

They were honest and told what most Thais think many Farangs married to Thais live in dream world.

It is ashamed but maybe their children should live in the bread winners country.and realize their children will never be fully accepted