Half children!: Encounters with Thais/schools

laolover88

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could understand kids, but it's really sad to hear it coming from the top. I've got a friend who's half western kid was recently banned from entering English competitions at school. No problems with the half Chinese kids entering the Mandarin competitions, or even competing against 100% Thais in the Thai competition, until she won of course.

• Like 2

You could understand kids, but it's really sad to hear it coming from the top. I've got a friend who's half western kid was recently banned from entering English competitions at school. No problems with the half Chinese kids entering the Mandarin competitions, or even competing against 100% Thais in the Thai competition, until she won of course.

Well, winning English speaking competitions with native speakers is hardly the point is it....

My kids old school used to do this. They would regale the school with all their awards which of course had been won by luug kreung native speakers.

• Like 2

So if this is the attitude with those who are half-Thai and bilingual (and it most certainly is, especially amongst the lesser educated Thai) isn't it stupefying how certain members who regularly post here claim, and truly believe, they are embraced as "one of us" by their neighbors and other Thais?

Chiang Mai is on target. The other parents will not like a "half breed" far outperforming their precious ones. Think of the disruption in English class, when, after twelve years of lessons, the other kids are saying, "Where you go?" while little Luke is saying, "Where are you going?"

Confusion!

Maybe it is not a matter of the LKs outperforming the other students but a disciplinary problem: The LKs male or female might be much bigger in some instances than their Thai contemporaries and tend to be bullies or the LKs are picked on by their fellow Thai students and the LKs' parents come in threatening legal action against the school for the school's lack of proper supervision.

Time to find a serious school, not a racist school.

Yes, but people also need to start with their own awareness and stop perpetuating racism by means of ill-defined language that attempts to legitimise discrimination.

There are no "halves". We are dealing we dual citizens or children of two (or multiple) ethnic origins .

Edited by Morakot
  • Like 1

I never met anyone who didn't have a very smart child. What happens to these children, you wonder, when they reach adulthood? -- Fran Lebowitz

Maybe the same that happens to beautiful girls when they get married?

Or put it the other way: - With all beautiful young girls around where do the bitchy wives come from? biggrin.png

• Like 2

My six year old daughter is the only half Thai, half white student in her school.

She is very well accepted and even loved by the students. They spoil her!

The teachers on the other hand are very rough on her and I think they actually discriminate against her because of her "mixed race".

She gets lower grades on her homework than Thai students when she does a better job then them. I have compared her homework with that of her friends and confirmed this.

At every school function awards are given out to at least 2/3 of the students for achievements, no matter how small.

All Thai children receive some awards.

In three years, my daughter has never received any awards, and she is a very good, well behaved student.

She spoke both English and Spanish before coming to Thailand and became fluent in Thai within a couple of months.

She speaks English better than the Thai English teacher, so, he ignores her in class.

They had the nerve to tell her they want her to represent the school in the yearly English speaking competition!

I told them that if she was good enough to represent the school, her grades would be as high as the Thai students!

Racist and discriminating?

Yes!

But Thais love to win!

Right now it is a financial struggle for us,

but I am trying to find a way to send her to a good private school without racist Thai teachers and administrators.

Aren't you a bit biased?

Doesn't every parent think their kids are more deserving or smarter than everyone else's?

Don't envy your position having to find the money to fund a private education but didn't you think of that beforehand?