Teens should spend Valentine in temples: Thai official

webfact

Teens Should Spend Valentine In Temples: Official
By Khaosod English

13921240751392124156l.jpg
Banner inviting teen couples to celebrate Valentine Day at Wat Samian Nari Temple

BANGKOK: -- A public health official has suggested that teenage couples should celebrate 2014 Valentine's Day in Buddhist temples to avoid unwanted pregnancy.

Thailand sees an increase in teen pregnancy in recent years, according to Dr. Ponthep Siriwanarangsan, deputy director of the Department of Health, with 53.8 cases per 1,000 population of 14-19 year old women in 2012, compared to 49.3 cases per 1,000 population in 2005.

Dr. Ponthep added that surveys also pointed to younger age in which Thai teenagers experienced their first sexual intercourse, from 18-19 year old in 1996 to 13-15 year old in 2012.

Only half of these teenagers said they used condoms in their first sex, Dr. Ponthep said, citing survey, which allegedly leads to increase in teen pregnancy and illegal abortion.

The deputy director claimed that there were 3,725 abortions of teenagers younger than 14 year old in 2012 alone, equivalent to approximately 10 cases per day.

He blamed "modern culture" and "media influence", as well as lack of sex education in schools, for the trend of rising number of teenagers having sex "before appropriate time".

Dr. Ponthep feared the situation might be worsened by the approaching Valentine Day, which is thought by the Thai authorities to encourage young people to engage in sexual activities.

As this year′s Valentine Day coincides with the Buddhist occasion of Makha Bucha Day, Dr. Ponthep suggested that young lovers should attend religious services at the temples in the morning and return to pray at the temples in the evening, instead of celebrating the Day of Love in a secular way.

"It might involve drinking of alcoholic beverage, which might lead to sexual intercourse before appropriate time," Dr. Ponthep said.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNU1qRXlOREEzTlE9PQ==

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-02-12

I'll be interested in reports from other parts of the country - I was in Khon Kaen last weekend and as Valentine's Day coincides with Makha Bucha day a friend who owns a small restaurant / bar received official police notice he had to close so as not to serve alcohol.

I bet small hotels / motels etc will not be told to turn away underage looking couples.

Seriously? These are the kind of idiots leading the country? Instead of teaching teens about contraception, fools tell them to head to the temple? What's next? Kissing causes pregnancy too? bah.gif

Why do they only have sex on valentines day? Surely they have sex on other days of the year also like birthdays. Thai kids seem a little strange if they only do it once per year.

Edited by chooka

Seriously? These are the kind of idiots leading the country? Instead of teaching teens about contraception, fools tell them to head to the temple? What's next? Kissing causes pregnancy too? bah.gif

What happened to the days when a parent was responsible for the way a child is brought up

• Like 2

Why do they only have sex on valentines day? Surely they have sex on other days of the year also like birthdays. Thai kids seem a little strange if they only do it once per year.
It seems there is a common idea among the young that if you are really in love, waiting till Valentines Day means it is true love and thus Ok for first sex together. That true love often lasts till the boy finds out he's knocked her up, and then adios momma.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

This is thru! And this is also why Sex education should be enforced!!!

You can not forbid a human to have sex! It is in his basic (animal) needs!

But you can explain him what can happen if he do...

Parents should take responsibility and take them head out of sand!!!

Condoms and pills use!

Edited by ManopY

Nah - temples have extensive grounds, quiet corners and are deserted.

Try a protest site instead - much more effective at atrophying libido.

Surprised that Suthep has not thought of this as a way to boost numbers public service.

Oops - update - he has, well done him.

Edited by tx22cb

"A public health official has suggested that teenage couples should celebrate 2014 Valentine's Day in Buddhist temples to avoid unwanted pregnancy."

Condoms will work better. Sex education more so. Finally dismiss public health officials like this idiot and get some in who know how to do the job properly.

• Like 2

Nah - temples have extensive grounds, quiet corners and are deserted.

Try a protest site instead - much more effective at atrophying libido.

Surprised that Suthep has not thought of this as a way to boost numbers public service.

Oops - update - he has, well done him.

Attending the demos in the 60s ensured I always had lots of nubile young females to go home with.

Same every year.

Only way to stop this nonsense is to sterilise Thai officials.

I guess the plan of previous years to have a curfew and the rounding up of teenagers on the streets on Valentines day didn't stop them having sex. Plan B, tell them to go to the temples for the day.

• Like 1

Same every year.

Only way to stop this nonsense is to sterilise Thai officials.

I guess the plan of previous years to have a curfew and the rounding up of teenagers on the streets on Valentines day didn't stop them having sex. Plan B, tell them to go to the temples for the day.

Christ, yeah. I'd forgotten all about the curfew plan.

Good idea and a good dose of Sex education while they are there, should do the trick. 10 year old girls getting pregnant should not be acceptable in an educated society

...an educated society???? I don't think everybody would agree.

The comments about a need for sex education to be taught are valid, but I think the real root of the problem comes down to Thai culture being a strong patriarchal one. From the beginning of their lives, Thai woman take a subservient role in a society that creates low self esteem in them, and that is maybe the true root of the problem. These girl are inadvertently trained to be insecure people, so when a 12-year-old girl falls for a Thai boy or man, she is likely living in fear that unless she does what he wants she will lose him. I believe the culture also makes it difficult for her to talk to anyone, including her mother, about her fears and feelings. Perhaps cultural changes that allow more frank communication about matters of lust and love would help the most.

A lot of people talk about Thai "culture" but such a culture is actually enshrined in their laws. Just take a look at Thai laws on marriage and you will see it is essentially a property contract that allows men (but not women) to have multiple properties so long as they can afford them. Indeed, a man can even return his property and get his deposit back!

In spite of Buddhism being the main religion, Thai culture has retained a heavy dose of brahminical, hierarchical and patriarchal laws. These are reflected in many un-Buddhist behaviours. Thus youngsters end up either aping or being coerced into actions that mimic their elders... but not necessarily their betters. the cycle goes on and on...

Good idea and a good dose of Sex education while they are there, should do the trick. 10 year old girls getting pregnant should not be acceptable in an educated society

The comments about a need for sex education to be taught are valid, but I think the real root of the problem comes down to Thai culture being a strong patriarchal one. From the beginning of their lives, Thai woman take a subservient role in a society that creates low self esteem in them, and that is maybe the true root of the problem. These girl are inadvertently trained to be insecure people, so when a 12-year-old girl falls for a Thai boy or man, she is likely living in fear that unless she does what he wants she will lose him. I believe the culture also makes it difficult for her to talk to anyone, including her mother, about her fears and feelings. Perhaps cultural changes that allow more frank communication about matters of lust and love would help the most.

A lot of people talk about Thai "culture" but such a culture is actually enshrined in their laws. Just take a look at Thai laws on marriage and you will see it is essentially a property contract that allows men (but not women) to have multiple properties so long as they can afford them. Indeed, a man can even return his property and get his deposit back!

In spite of Buddhism being the main religion, Thai culture has retained a heavy dose of brahminical, hierarchical and patriarchal laws. These are reflected in many un-Buddhist behaviours. Thus youngsters end up either aping or being coerced into actions that mimic their elders... but not necessarily their betters. the cycle goes on and on...

That is a good point about the laws dictating the nature of a culture.

If I interpret what you say correctly, there is no law against bigamy in Thailand? I assume that law was originally made to give women some stability and security in a marriage, so if it is absent in the Thai legal system, that says a lot.

As for your thoughts about mimicking elders and the cycle going on and on, I think that is where the real challenge exists. These attitudes and social problems are so deeply ingrained here that positive change will not happen for a long long time.

That is a good point about the laws dictating the nature of a culture.

If I interpret what you say correctly, there is no law against bigamy in Thailand? I assume that law was originally made to give women some stability and security in a marriage, so if it is absent in the Thai legal system, that says a lot.

As for your thoughts about mimicking elders and the cycle going on and on, I think that is where the real challenge exists. These attitudes and social problems are so deeply ingrained here that positive change will not happen for a long long time.

I looked into this in detail a few years ago, so this is from memory. Bigamy and polygamy are not legally allowed - a man cannot marry two or more women - however, the culture of the "mia noi" (little wife, 2nd wife... 3rd or 4th even!) is legally enshrined. So that a man can behave as if polygamy was allowed, even though he can only have one marriage at a time. Indeed, many rows take place as a 'mia noi' feels she wants to be number 1. And a wife cannot divorce her husband merely because he has a 'mia noi', she has to show that he is materially neglecting his duties as a provider. The tragedies are endless.