Reforms must cover media, land, education and separation of powers

webfact

Maybe a referendum is needed to see if Thais even want reforms and if so, which ones?

Before forcing them upon them.

You are joking right?

I have not seen any of these recommendations as being anything other than beneficial to Thailand.

The only thing I see as not beneficial is what you just suggested.

The vast majority of the public would never even begin to understand them to make an informed decision, and would be open to people deliberately misinforming them for some cynical reason.

Let the intelligent people of Thailand do the deciding.

If you think I am being a bit unfair on the Thai people, then as an example.... last night at a restaurant in my town, a guy on the next table (who looked quite upper working class) asked why Suthep was collecting money for the farmers when he could be giving that to the government to help them out.

I swear by almighty god it's true.

I just turned to the wife and said 'god help these people'.

Also the wife's cousin who is studying for a bachelor's, doesn't even know why there are protesters on the street.

The people of Thailand (The vast majority) live in a bubble, they are the last people I would throw a complex reform referendum onto.

• Like 2

Maybe a referendum is needed to see if Thais even want reforms and if so, which ones?

You are joking right?

I have not seen any of these recommendations as being anything other than beneficial to Thailand.

The vast majority of the public would never even begin to understand them to make an informed decision, and would be open to people deliberately misinforming them for some cynical reason.

If you think I am being a bit unfair on the Thai people, then as an example.... last night at a restaurant in my town, a guy on the next table (who looked quite upper working class) asked why Suthep was collecting money for the farmers when he could be giving that to the government to help them out.

Also the wife's cousin who is studying for a bachelor's, doesn't even know why there are protesters on the street.

The people of Thailand (The vast majority) live in a bubble, they are the last people I would throw a complex reform referendum onto.

No don't let the "intelligent" people of Thailand decide anything for the rest, thats how they got here thinking they knew best, coup after coup one hiso PM after another followed by another coup etc etc. Intelligent my ass. Things will change in time but only with mistakes along the way like every developing country. Nothing different about it here, leave it alone and let democracy run its course, warts and all. They might learn some lessons for a change instead of being reset every few years.

Perhaps a large % of the common Thai know a dodgy idiot when they see one and dismiss him and his rantings for what it is, uninteresting and exclusive, dosn't take a 6th grader to get that.

Thailand will muddle on as it always has somehow and some people will continue to tear their hair out over the usual things like they always have, end of the day its no big deal just another drama in Thailand. Life goes on.

Go home you'll obviously be much happier in "intelligent" company and less inclined to show your pitiful arrogance.biggrin.png

These ideas are from a bunch clearly totally out of touch with their home country and the ideas belong in a Thai utopian novel, not surprising they are all in another country. In the real world here in Thailand it would only ever work if the 2/3 of the ruling class died overnight. And thats not going to happen.

Next bunch of dreamers please.

• Like 1

Great Ideas, exactly what Thailand needs ,Comprehensives reforms of all that is Corrupted" in Thailand, Not just the political reforms the Rich Elite Establishment champion!

The Educational system, the Government, The civil service, The military,ect. all inclusive reforms!

Great Article, Suthep was looking for respected people, not politically aligned, top in there fields, nuetral party not appointed by any side, look not further, oh lie-ing one.

Handed to you .

Cheers

• Like 1

No Thaksin no corruption.

Reform on the Thaksin family, and everything else will be OK.

Yours is a dream, Thaksin is not the cause of corruption in Thailand that is deeply entrenched at all levels of any thing Thai, Educational system, buying admission/ placements in the best universities and schools, the ability to buy your or your sons out of their military obligation, the ability to buy the best jobs in the country, not on competence but on the money you can afford to pay! the ability to appoint judges, E.C. members etc.,

Thaksin is the least of the worries he dose not even reside in the country!

Cheers

• Like 1

here is an idea :

tax on land that is not commercially used by owner (that mostly sits on billions of baht worth of land), so if they lease/rent out the land to the farmer, tax him even more

and... maybe let the farang build his home on 1 rai of land in his name ?

Edited by belg

Use of local talent,oh the irony many of the best educated in this country are banned by immigration from even helping as volunteer in Thai schools.

The fear of allowing foreigners (except Chinese) to attempt to teach by example.

I think like many other countries much to be learnt from the world,Russian Korean and Japanese `ScienceIrish American and British mercantile traditions,Italian and Geran structural engineering the list goes on and on oh and the Dutch know a bit about water management.

You are joking right?

No don't let the "intelligent" people of Thailand decide anything for the rest, thats how they got here thinking they knew best, coup after coup one hiso PM after another followed by another coup etc etc. Intelligent my ass. Things will change in time but only with mistakes along the way like every developing country. Nothing different about it here, leave it alone and let democracy run its course, warts and all. They might learn some lessons for a change instead of being reset every few years.

Perhaps a large % of the common Thai know a dodgy idiot when they see one and dismiss him and his rantings for what it is, uninteresting and exclusive, dosn't take a 6th grader to get that.

Thailand will muddle on as it always has somehow and some people will continue to tear their hair out over the usual things like they always have, end of the day its no big deal just another drama in Thailand. Life goes on.

Go home you'll obviously be much happier in "intelligent" company and less inclined to show your pitiful arrogance.biggrin.png

These ideas are from a bunch clearly totally out of touch with their home country and the ideas belong in a Thai utopian novel, not surprising they are all in another country. In the real world here in Thailand it would only ever work if the 2/3 of the ruling class died overnight. And thats not going to happen.

Next bunch of dreamers please.

Indeed, what needs to be done in theory is open to enormous debate. One narrow group of academics based in one particular type of democracy is hardly representative.

Some ideas are ok. The idea that no government interference I.e. complete deregulation of the media produces better media is nonsense.

Any one for Blue Sky or the opposite version.

Quality public service with a principled private sector to balance it works. Of course it tends to be a prevelant idea in the USA that all government is bad so I am not surprised.

I watched a show last night about child care on the NHS. It isn't perfect to see the world class system delivered for free made me proud.

Edited by Thai at Heart

You are joking right?

And which 'intelligent' people developed the system which is completely and utterly f**ked? I would not trust half the 'educated' Thais to run me a bath never mind a country,

You are joking right?

And which 'intelligent' people developed the system which is completely and utterly f**ked? I would not trust half the 'educated' Thais to run me a bath never mind a country,

Bear in mind, those coming out of the thai system are the best they've ever had. Just imagine how well educated those.of 40 year ago must be.

I think that the complexity of the Thai language seriously holds back the country's development.

Only when the majority of Thai students are taught to understand and speak fluent English will they begin to compete on the World stage

My Thai wife is reasonably well educated, with a Bachelor's degree in Business Studies, but she admits she struggles in many areas because the Thai language is too unsophisticated.

It is very difficult to convert ideas into words because the language doesn't allow it hence the lack of technological innovation and achievement in Thailand

Measuring Intelligent Quotients has shown that Thais are not significantly more or less intelligent than other nationalities, so I would aver that the national language is a significant factor in holding back development on every level